Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will we fly again?

Options
1262728293032»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭DvB

theres no way a flight full of families to the canary Islands with a journey time of 4+hrs can be expected to not eat or drink & maintain masks on for the entire duration of the flight and whatever additional time is required to get to a point where social distancing is practical.

You can say these things and even make them rules/regulations etc. but the fact is it simply won't happen. If they got 75% compliance I'd be genuinely amazed.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I get very dehydrated on planes. I'm not sure why it affects me so badly, but in my case it's one of the many things that can trigger a migraine so I have a whole system in place to counter it now! I wouldn't be happy to fly masked up and unable to sip water, but then I had written off 2020 for air travel for me at this stage anyway.

I don't like the thought of people trying to circumvent quarantine after non-essential travel. If countries re-open and people want to take the personal chance to travel then that's ok, but at least have the decency to protect others when you return.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The only problem with this is that we now live in a world where everyone has something wrong with them.

...and those that haven't get their knickers in a knot complaining on behalf of those who do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Ryanair Cancelled our flight to Greece on July 25th.

Greece are saying Irish and British tourists are welcome from June onwards, so it must be from the Irish side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

garv123 wrote: »
    Ryanair Cancelled our flight to Greece on July 25th.

Greece are saying Irish and British tourists are welcome from June onwards, so it must be from the Irish side of things.

Not according to this
    https://greece.greekreporter.com/2020/05/21/greece-releases-list-of-first-20-nations-that-can-send-tourists-to-the-country/

Posted in another thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Dovies wrote: »

I cannot see the "screening" in Athens airport being too difficult.

For me it is a positive step. Greece is lucky in the number of cases that it has had compared to many other countries. Taking steps to mitigate the number of people travelling there is obvious.

With Greece open for business last Monday (no one in the shops by all accounts but traffic busy on the ring road around Athens) the economy is going to suffer dramatically again.

There are so many unknowns at this stage in travel. Personally, I will travel home and that is about it this year. Normally, I would have 20 flights done at this stage in the year. To date I have had 2. For the rest of this year, the ONLY flight with for me is a necessity, is to visit Mam and family in Ireland. Yes I will be tested before I fly, I will also carry face masks, hand sanitizer and wipe all surfaces that I come into contact with on the place, seat, tray, screen etc etc with wipes that I always carry.

If Ireland requires two weeks quarantine when I arrive with herself, so be it.

I would prefer to spend one or two weeks with family (after quarantine) than to have no contact with them physically at all.

Business travel has stopped. Work that should have been done in other countries, France, China, Brazil, Canada, Korea and Australia has all been cancelled for this year. Most of this cannot be rescheduled and has meant a loss of income for those we deal with, but a saving for us as we didn't have to spend it... people understand!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

spurious wrote:
    ...and those that haven't get their knickers in a knot complaining on behalf of those who do.

Now now, no need to get your knickers in a knot ðŸ˜

And you a mod and all. Tut tut!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I get very dehydrated on planes. I'm not sure why it affects me so badly, but in my case it's one of the many things that can trigger a migraine so I have a whole system in place to counter it now! I wouldn't be happy to fly masked up and unable to sip water, but then I had written off 2020 for air travel for me at this stage anyway.

I don't like the thought of people trying to circumvent quarantine after non-essential travel. If countries re-open and people want to take the personal chance to travel then that's ok, but at least have the decency to protect others when you return.[

So you want nobody to travel without quarantine again until when exactly? You’ve written off air travel so that’s fine there’s a lot of us who are perfectly happy not to. I’d walk across a desert at this stage to get away from project fear for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

DvB wrote: »
    theres no way a flight full of families to the canary Islands with a journey time of 4+hrs can be expected to not eat or drink & maintain masks on for the entire duration of the flight and whatever additional time is required to get to a point where social distancing is practical.

You can say these things and even make them rules/regulations etc. but the fact is it simply won't happen. If they got 75% compliance I'd be genuinely amazed.

Nobody is forcing you to go. If you can't comply with the rules, don't go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

NSAman wrote: »
    I cannot see the "screening" in Athens airport being too difficult.

For me it is a positive step. Greece is lucky in the number of cases that it has had compared to many other countries. Taking steps to mitigate the number of people travelling there is obvious.

With Greece open for business last Monday (no one in the shops by all accounts but traffic busy on the ring road around Athens) the economy is going to suffer dramatically again.

There are so many unknowns at this stage in travel. Personally, I will travel home and that is about it this year. Normally, I would have 20 flights done at this stage in the year. To date I have had 2. For the rest of this year, the ONLY flight with for me is a necessity, is to visit Mam and family in Ireland. Yes I will be tested before I fly, I will also carry face masks, hand sanitizer and wipe all surfaces that I come into contact with on the place, seat, tray, screen etc etc with wipes that I always carry.

If Ireland requires two weeks quarantine when I arrive with herself, so be it.

I would prefer to spend one or two weeks with family (after quarantine) than to have no contact with them physically at all.

Business travel has stopped. Work that should have been done in other countries, France, China, Brazil, Canada, Korea and Australia has all been cancelled for this year. Most of this cannot be rescheduled and has meant a loss of income for those we deal with, but a saving for us as we didn't have to spend it... people understand!

I was thinking of going to Greece this year anyway. I'd love to support the economy if they're happy to have me. I need a break, some sun and a proper rest, they need my money. I wonder when we can book with confidence that it won't all get cancelled? Would it be better to look now or hold off a bit?

It feels weird to even be thinking about this when the UK is still in lockdown, but I'm just so desperate for a slice of normality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

I was thinking of going to Greece this year anyway. I'd love to support the economy if they're happy to have me. I need a break, some sun and a proper rest, they need my money. I wonder when we can book with confidence that it won't all get cancelled? Would it be better to look now or hold off a bit?

I'd love to go away myself. Due to go in June to spain but won't be happening.

My main fear is someone in the hotel getting it and I'm stuck in the hotel for 14 days.

Just not worth the risk imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I'd love to go away myself. Due to go in June to spain but won't be happening.

My main fear is someone in the hotel getting it and I'm stuck in the hotel for 14 days.

Just not worth the risk imo.

Or worse coming home here and having to quarantine for 14 days on the off chance that you might have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Its not possible to forbid people to drink on a flight of any length, just not going to happen
    We have operated for the last two months with zero catering onboard, not even water. Crews have to bring their own, passengers get absolutely nothing and have accepted this as a valid precaution.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement