Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Freshly roasted coffee beans online

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭dball

I've had their house blend a few times at the cafe - i liked it "An Fear Mearbh." chocolate/caramel vibe

They do small runs of different blends every month or 2. not sure what their current stock is like with the current situation. Always seem to have at least 2 or 3 selections available.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Balmed Out wrote: »
    https://www.stonevalleyroasters.com/

Based in Clonakilty, Cork

As much as I love Stone Valley, they seem to be pricing themselves out when compared to other roasters based in West Cork alone. Taking the three I know and comparing their prices for a 1KG bag of wholebean Brazilian Coffee:
    SV coffee is seriously good, but I just find it hard to justify the price over the other two..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Got a couple of bags from Cloud Picker. Not that impressed.

I might try Dreambeans that someone posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Danger781 wrote: »
    As much as I love Stone Valley, they seem to be pricing themselves out when compared to other roasters based in West Cork alone. Taking the three I know and comparing their prices for a 1KG bag of wholebean Brazilian Coffee:
    SV coffee is seriously good, but I just find it hard to justify the price over the other two..

Any recommendations for red strand, looked at website and realise I know the guy who runs it so when my gear arrives I'd prefer to support him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Any recommendations for red strand, looked at website and realise I know the guy who runs it so when my gear arrives I'd prefer to support him.

I'd be all over the Burundi's there, looks like they have 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Slattsy wrote: »
    Got a couple of bags from Cloud Picker. Not that impressed.

I might try Dreambeans that someone posted.

Interested to know why you weren't impressed? Were they the same coffee or a selection, were they stale, poorly roasted?

I'm interested as I have some on the way... Not that I know how to get the best out of it yet, but I'd like to know what I'm dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

I love Red Strand. I’ve tried a few and they’re all excellent.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Interested to know why you weren't impressed? Were they the same coffee or a selection, were they stale, poorly roasted?

I'm interested as I have some on the way... Not that I know how to get the best out of it yet, but I'd like to know what I'm dealing with.

Just all a bit meh. Roast date stated middle of April so relatively fresh. Got the Brazilian and the Burundi. Neither blew me away.

Used both French press and espresso.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Got two bags from Upside for a change, got the Brazil Mantiquiera Mountains, one a darker "classic espresso" roast and the other a more standard medium roast.

The dark one is gorgeous with milk, definitely more on the chocolate side of things, wasn't a massive fan of it as straight espresso but I normally wouldn't drink dark roasts straight anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

mad m wrote: »
    Got delivery today from WCC. They threw in a handmade bar of dark chocolate. Roast date was yesterday. Ordered Sunday evening. Very quick delivery.

Are the prices quoted on their webpage already including the discount do you know? Already very expensive at 10-12 euros for 227g!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

My coffee was shipped yesterday, arrived today... but roast date is 21st April. Should that be correct?

My coffee was shipped yesterday, arrived today... but roast date is 21st April. Should that be correct?

Similar with me. Expected it to be close to date of my order which in a lot places it would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

They may be only roasting one day a week, remember their biggest customers are all closed, cafés

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

rickyjb wrote: »
    Are the prices quoted on their webpage already including the discount do you know? Already very expensive at 10-12 euros for 227g!

Yes they are - when you select the quantity and grind the old price displays. To be fair that's standard pricing for single origin. Plus the 1kg bags are much better value - 1kg of single origin for €29 is very good value especially with free shipping on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

rickyjb wrote: »

My last order from Adam's and Russell works out at €5.26 per 250g including shipping.

cnocbui wrote: »
    My last order from Adam's and Russell works out at €5.26 per 250g including shipping.

IMO the single plantation range is more comparable to true single origin with a lot of other roasters - so 3 for £21 is a fairer comparison. A&S single origin is not really what most would mean by single origin - i.e. the same estate.

I do take your point it's still cheaper though, but I haven't tried it myself. €10-12 per 250g bag would be common for single origin (i.e. single plantation) however.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

J_E wrote: »
    Every time I've ordered from WCC it's been at most 2-3 days after. He roasts on a regular basis earlier on in the week.

Although currently the postal system is a mess, it might be a bit longer, but that's the same with basically anything at the moment.

Just got 3 bags, delighted with them.

Cheers for all of your tips guys, including Slattsy, natch.

Ordered 2 bags from WCC to give them a whirl. Looking forward to tasting it now when it gets here. Probably Tuesday I'd wager.

Cheers for all of your tips guys, including Slattsy, natch.

Ordered 2 bags from WCC to give them a whirl. Looking forward to tasting it now when it gets here. Probably Tuesday I'd wager.

What did you go for? I just reordered some yesterday - went for the El Salvador and the Innovation Series Hydro as a treat :-) Sounds interesting!

What did you go for? I just reordered some yesterday - went for the El Salvador and the Innovation Series Hydro as a treat :-) Sounds interesting!

Just the Brazilian (Fazenda Sertão) based on the descriptions on here as well as the East Timorese which sounds up my street based on the WCC description.

Free delivery is not to be sniffed at neither.

Just the Brazilian (Fazenda Sertão) based on the descriptions on here as well as the East Timorese which sounds up my street based on the WCC description.

Free delivery is not to be sniffed at neither.

Oh the Brazilian is fabulous! Was tempted to go for it again but thought I'd try something different. Enjoy.

• Advertisement

I'll get another few days out of the beans I have, will await updates on the WCC fan club before pulling the trigger there.

I actually wanted to get some Badger and Dodo and reading through here made me take the plunge on WCC.

I actually wanted to get some Badger and Dodo and reading through here made me take the plunge on WCC.

I usually spread my business around a few places: Bell Lane, Badger & Dodo and Bailies mainly, but the WCC offer at 20% and free shipping is too good to pass up atm imo! Will be back to the others soon no doubt but WCC will also be in the rotation for sure :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭EletricMan

Hi guys, just got my first coffee machine. It's a delonghi etam29510b. What grind bean do I need for this machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

EletricMan wrote: »
    Hi guys, just got my first coffee machine. It's a delonghi etam29510b. What grind bean do I need for this machine?

That's a bean to cup machine, so you'll just need to buy whole beans. All the best with it!

Ordered a kilo of the Brazilian from WCC. Looking forward to it now - thanks for all the info above folks.

God everyone is going for the Brazilian - I will feel personally responsible now if it doesn't go down well - won't be able to show myself in the forum again! :o:o

I haven't had a bad recommendation here yet :)

I usually spread my business around a few places: Bell Lane, Badger & Dodo and Bailies mainly, but the WCC offer at 20% and free shipping is too good to pass up atm imo! Will be back to the others soon no doubt but WCC will also be in the rotation for sure :-)

Seems the local coffee shop (which I tend to avoid as I hate the atmosphere and their tiny cups) has Imbibe Colombia, Kenya and Rwanda as well as 3fe Passeio, Decaf and one in a pink bag I can't make out from the photo.

I know the 3fe well. What's Imbibe like?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

WCC - The difference in value between the 227g and the 1KG is huge. I'd normally go for 2 or 3 smaller bags but you really have to go with the 1KG in this instance.

And this Brazillian coffee had better be good :)

Picked up some Kalita filters too.

Advertisement