Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Freshly roasted coffee beans online

  • 09-07-2018 8:02pm
    #1
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭ The high horse brigade


    My usual store to buy freshly roasted beans is 20 mins from my house and these days I go that direction less and less so I'm looking for an online supplier that will ship me beans roasted at least in the last 2 weeks. I go through a kg a month so a subscription would suit. Where do you recommend


«13456771

Comments

  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭ adrian522


    coffee mojo/Bell Lane/Cloud Picker/Badger & Dodo/bailies/coffee angel/

    Plenty of others out there to!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 Gavin Nutty Firecracker


    I can recommend the 3FE sub, I've been getting it since November.

    I had a bag of Silverskin a few months back too, and I might jump to them when it's time to renew, I liked that coffee well enough.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭ The high horse brigade


    adrian522 wrote: »
    coffee mojo/Bell Lane/Cloud Picker/Badger & Dodo/bailies/coffee angel/

    Plenty of others out there to!

    Thanks. What have you tried yourself.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭ The high horse brigade


    I can recommend the 3FE sub, I've been getting it since November.

    I had a bag of Silverskin a few months back too, and I might jump to them when it's time to renew, I liked that coffee well enough.

    €11-15 for a 250g is pricey. At that price I think it's worth going out of my way to my local who do 1kg at €24, I can order by text and collect. They roast to order
    I love their fusion blend
    http://artofcoffee.ie/product/fusion-blend/


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 Gavin Nutty Firecracker


    €11-15 for a 250g is pricey. At that price I think it's worth going out of my way to my local who do 1kg at €24, I can order by text and collect. They roast to order
    I love their fusion blend
    http://artofcoffee.ie/product/fusion-blend/

    In fairness, it was gifted to me, so the cost in my particular instance, is moot.

    That said, the coffee is incredible.


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭ mossym


    badger and dodo, order by tuesday morning, delivered wednesday, roasted in the couple of days prior to that, never seen the roast date not be in the couple of days before delivery

    usually around 27 to 29 for a wholebean roasted 1kg bag. sipping on the cyato they have right now as i type this and it's lovely stuff


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭ The high horse brigade


    mossym wrote: »
    badger and dodo, order by tuesday morning, delivered wednesday, roasted in the couple of days prior to that, never seen the roast date not be in the couple of days before delivery

    usually around 27 to 29 for a wholebean roasted 1kg bag. sipping on the cyato they have right now as i type this and it's lovely stuff

    That sounds decent, I'm going to give it a try.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭ caviardreams


    Thanks. What have you tried yourself.

    I am a big fan of Bell Lane and Bailies - usually alternate between the two, both are always shipped the day or so after roasting from my experience.

    Rave are good too if you use one of the UK postal services like parcel motel/wizard etc. for cheaper delivery


  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 18,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Brian?


    That sounds decent, I'm going to give it a try.

    These guys do the best coffee in Ireland, IMO streets ahead of anyone else.

    They regularly have micro lots of coffee bought directly from farmers co ops.

    http://www.baobab.ie/#

    they/them/theirs


    And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek




  • Registered Users Posts: 2 coffeedick


    Brian? wrote: »

    They regularly have micro lots of coffee bought directly from farmers co ops.

    Um, no. No they don't. They buy from an importer like all the small guys. Nothing wrong with that of course.. just be honest


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 18,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Brian?


    coffeedick wrote: »
    Um, no. No they don't. They buy from an importer like all the small guys. Nothing wrong with that of course.. just be honest

    Be honest? You think I’m lying for a reason?

    It’s my understanding they buy micro lots from farmers. Of course there’s a middle man who does the shipping.

    they/them/theirs


    And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek




  • Registered Users Posts: 2 coffeedick


    Brian? wrote: »
    Be honest? You think I’m lying for a reason?

    It’s my understanding they buy micro lots from farmers. Of course there’s a middle man who does the shipping.

    Oh, no I don't think you're lying and sorry it came across that way. There's a lot of lying in the industry. But it seems like we might be at cross purposes anyway - it's the word 'directly' there which is often misused by unscrupulous roasters.

    Every single coffee roaster buys microlots from farmers one way or another!


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭ mad m


    Rave coffee online have a sale on. If you are first time buyer and reg email you get 20% off. Orders over 25 sterling are free to UK address ( I used PM). Got 2x kilos coffee delivered for 35 euro that’s including PM


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭ mad m


    Ordered coffee from Rave Thursday evening, shipped Friday. Collected it this morning.:)


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭ caviardreams


    Love the Rave Mocha Java and the Suarez single origin. Enjoy :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭ Bawnmore


    mad m wrote: »
    Rave coffee online have a sale on. If you are first time buyer and reg email you get 20% off. Orders over 25 sterling are free to UK address ( I used PM). Got 2x kilos coffee delivered for 35 euro that’s including PM

    Cheers - went for the same - great deal for 2kg beans. Went for the ultimate no effort order and picked exactly what caviardreams suggested - so thanks both!


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭ caviardreams


    Bawnmore wrote: »
    Cheers - went for the same - great deal for 2kg beans. Went for the ultimate no effort order and picked exactly what caviardreams suggested - so thanks both!

    Oh hope you like them now! #nopressure :) Enjoy!

    My Rave order just arrived yesterday in perfect time for the weekend - picked up some of the sale beans, part of me hopes I don't like them too much as they are end of line and I won't be able to reorder! I asked them and the Suarez single origin is going to be a long term bean for them which is great to hear.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 Autochange


    Have you tried buying from Essence coffee?
    Based in Meath I think


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭ Bawnmore


    Oh hope you like them now! #nopressure :) Enjoy!

    My Rave order just arrived yesterday in perfect time for the weekend - picked up some of the sale beans, part of me hopes I don't like them too much as they are end of line and I won't be able to reorder! I asked them and the Suarez single origin is going to be a long term bean for them which is great to hear.

    Nearly finished the Mocha Java and can't wait to crack into the Suarez - thanks for the recommendation!


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭ caviardreams


    Bawnmore wrote: »
    Nearly finished the Mocha Java and can't wait to crack into the Suarez - thanks for the recommendation!

    Great stuff - delighted you enjoyed the Mocha!


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 ✭✭✭ Cathbadhian


    I'm working through Badger & Dodo's selection. They roast twice a week, and send orders next day after roasting. The Guatemala was really nice, and I'm currently loving the Brazil: Mantiqueira which really does taste like hazelnuts on the finish by the way. I'd buy them both tomorrow but there's still more to try! Was not a fan of their Columbia Nueva Zelanda, a bit too dark and earthy, and did not get the suggested tasting notes either. Prices are 7-8 euros for 250g, or roughly 40 euros or so including delivery for 2kg. Only a month plus out from owning an espresso machine but figuring out my personal tastes has certainly been worthwhile.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭ The high horse brigade


    I forgot about this thread. I'm nearly finished a kilo of Rave Mocha Java but I'm not really a fan. I find it too dark, I prefer more medium roasts for americano and espresso. Any suggestions to what I order next.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭ Nonoperational


    First experience of RAVE. Very cheap and makes great coffee. Roasted last week. Very hard to justify the prices of some of the Irish roasters. The Colombia Suarez Project is outstanding.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭ The high horse brigade


    Just ordered some Rave Fudge Blend


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭ caviardreams


    First experience of RAVE. Very cheap and makes great coffee. Roasted last week. Very hard to justify the prices of some of the Irish roasters. The Colombia Suarez Project is outstanding.

    Totally agree re the Suarez - an absolute keeper and thankfully they say it is one of their long-term lines, so should be around for a while.

    Also like the Mocha Java but the single origins are nice and they often to a 15% off like at the moment there is 15% off 3 beans using code GoldDust: Tano Batak Iyella AAA and Finca Providencia

    Taster pack is good value to try a few too: https://ravecoffee.co.uk/collections/coffee-taster-packs/products/espresso-taster-pack


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭ skerry


    Just bought a De'Longhi espresso machine. Had a Nespresso I picked up on the cheap but want to get away from pods and get into fresher brews. Going to check out a few of the outlets recommended here.

    I don't have a grinder at the moment but I see most of them will grind for you. Question is, if I ordered a 1kg bag ground would it lose freshness by the time I work through it. I'm the only real coffee drinker in the house.

    Hoping to pick up a grinder if I can get an electric one for handy money but it'll be ground coffee in the meantime.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭ The high horse brigade


    skerry wrote: »
    Just bought a De'Longhi espresso machine. Had a Nespresso I picked up on the cheap but want to get away from pods and get into fresher brews. Going to check out a few of the outlets recommended here.

    I don't have a grinder at the moment but I see most of them will grind for you. Question is, if I ordered a 1kg bag ground would it lose freshness by the time I work through it. I'm the only real coffee drinker in the house.

    Hoping to pick up a grinder if I can get an electric one for handy money but it'll be ground coffee in the meantime.

    Since you have an espresso machine you are best to get a grinder, beans lose oil very quickly when ground and for the best espresso with a proper rich crema you really need it to be a few seconds between grinding and brewing

    I myself have a Sage which I'm very happy with. I asked on here but got recommended grinders costing 3-400 quid or else second hand, so i took a chance on it based on the Amazon reviews. Glad I did now.

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sage-BCG820BSSUK-Smart-Grinder-Coffee/dp/B00P81AQUU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1540808285&sr=8-2&keywords=sage+grinder+pro


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭ skerry


    Since you have an espresso machine you are best to get a grinder, beans lose oil very quickly when ground and for the best espresso with a proper rich crema you really need it to be a few seconds between grinding and brewing

    I myself have a Sage which I'm very happy with. I asked on here but got recommended grinders costing 3-400 quid or else second hand, so i took a chance on it based on the Amazon reviews. Glad I did now.

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sage-BCG820BSSUK-Smart-Grinder-Coffee/dp/B00P81AQUU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1540808285&sr=8-2&keywords=sage+grinder+pro

    Thanks, Sage grinder looks nice but probably out of budget. It's nearly twice the price of the coffee machine so not sure I could justify it just yet.

    Any idead if the below De'Longhi grinder would be any good?

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002OHDBQC?pf_rd_p=855cdcfd-05d9-474f-b84d-8286a3530ba1&pf_rd_r=3WCJ2Z8XQ2G0RJJYGGET


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭ The high horse brigade


    skerry wrote: »
    Thanks, Sage grinder looks nice but probably out of budget. It's nearly twice the price of the coffee machine so not sure I could justify it just yet.

    Any idead if the below De'Longhi grinder would be any good?

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002OHDBQC?pf_rd_p=855cdcfd-05d9-474f-b84d-8286a3530ba1&pf_rd_r=3WCJ2Z8XQ2G0RJJYGGET

    The reviews on Amazon have it as being very decent in that price bracket. It's probably a decent option to get your started.

    Note, you've started down a long path, you'll be back here in 12-18 months asking about upgrades.....:)


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,546 ✭✭✭ limnam


    skerry wrote: »


    It'd be fine for something like a mocha pot.


    There's no real point "cheaping" out on the grinder.


    Your just wasting money.



    I'd hold off until you can afford something that's going to give you a consistent grind. That De longhi is not it.


Advertisement