Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freshly roasted coffee beans online

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

In fairness to Ponaire I emailed them and they replied immediately:

'If you give us the batch number, we can tell you exactly the date is was roasted. We do monthly dates as all our labelling is done by hand and we label up a bunch of bags at the same time and apply the batch number as they are filled. All our coffees have very great turnover – we roast and re-stock all our coffees once or twice a week'.

I sent them the batch numbers and the coffee was roasted the day before it was sent to me.

A while back, there were a couple of times when I walked into Ponaire to buy coffee, they would have to pop into the roasting room next door and fill a bag or two as they hadn't any done. They always gave a complimentary espresso everytime I ordered so the time was never wasted. :-)

That's actually how I came across the Sumatran: 'here try this'...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

cnocbui wrote: »
    A while back, there were a couple of times when I walked into Ponaire to buy coffee, they would have to pop into the roasting room next door and fill a bag or two as they hadn't any done. They always gave a complimentary espresso everytime I ordered so the time was never wasted. :-)

That's actually how I came across the Sumatran: 'here try this'...

It's a bit of a walk for me but I'll chance my arm the next time I'm in that neck of the woods!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It's a bit of a walk for me but I'll chance my arm the next time I'm in that neck of the woods!

They used to be in an industrial estate near Limerick, which is when I visited. I believe they moved to Newport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Del007 wrote: »
    I just got a 1kg bag of this delivered yesterday morning.

I've had 2 cups today and I'm not a massive fan of it at all. It's my first time buying coffee from a roaster and I'm a tad bit disappointed.

I'm on the SAM as well at the moment and could take it or leave it. There's just nothing exemplary about it. I can imagine it's nicer as an Espresso or in a Latte maybe?

I'm brewing with Aeropress:
    • Halfway between fine and medium on grinder
    • Kettle just off boil (Let cool for maybe 30 seconds to a min)
    • ~18g coffee
    • Inverted method
    • Stir about 6 times (I don't normally count) and brew for 1:15 total
    • Flip right-side up at 1:00 or so
    • Plunge at 1:15 for 45 seconds

Open to tips if anyone would like to make a suggestion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

I'm finishing off a bag of SAM at the moment and would usually make it as a flat white. It's definitely nice, but I can't seem to a good result without making it with milk. Espresso/americano are a bit flat or something - not sure really how to explain it. Did some fiddling with grind/timing at the start, but didn't have much success. Could probably have done more in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭caviardreams

10% off WCC till midnight - code WCC10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

10% off WCC till midnight - code WCC10

I was meant to post here last week.

Ordered from WCC on Tuesday 30th. roasted on Thursday and delivered on Friday. You can't beat that with a bag of hammers.

Got the * Innovation Series * Hydro and the INDONESIA - BENER MERIAH. Both some of the best coffees I've had.

The Indonesian is as good as that East Timorese one they had a while back. The hydro is a special special brew.

Very fresh but theres a nice sweetness to it. It's gone into the freezer now as my "special occasion" coffee.

Next order from WCC was gonna be a kilo of the Indonesian, but we'll see what they have next week.

I was meant to post here last week.

Ordered from WCC on Tuesday 30th. roasted on Thursday and delivered on Friday. You can't beat that with a bag of hammers.

Got the * Innovation Series * Hydro and the INDONESIA - BENER MERIAH. Both some of the best coffees I've had.

The Indonesian is as good as that East Timorese one they had a while back. The hydro is a special special brew.

Very fresh but theres a nice sweetness to it. It's gone into the freezer now as my "special occasion" coffee.

Next order from WCC was gonna be a kilo of the Indonesian, but we'll see what they have next week.

Just saw they have 3 new coffees coming over the next 3 days starting today with 10% off each for a day I think

I got the hydro series a while back - really nice, very sweet honey and apricot just like the tasting notes. Really unusual.

WCC are always super fast on the delivery etc. They are my favourite place for single origins I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Go Home Paddy Cat!!

Ordered the burundi from wild heart. Arrived yeaterday. Absolutely divine coffee. The order got delayed on their end so they threw in a free bag of villamaria columbian coffee which was a nice touch! delighted with the order :) Thanks for the recommendation guys.

• Advertisement

I've got to say this forum has been a super source of recommendations and info sharing since lockdown especially - thanks everyone! My coffee life has improved ten fold even if not the rest of my life :pac::D

Got 1kg of SAM today - ordered the 9th (yesterday) arrived today (10th) which was great - roast date is the 2nd of July which is ok, though would have preferred a few days fresher!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

Ordered the burundi from wild heart. Arrived yeaterday. Absolutely divine coffee. The order got delayed on their end so they threw in a free bag of villamaria columbian coffee which was a nice touch! delighted with the order :) Thanks for the recommendation guys.

Good to hear you also enjoyed it as much as me. I just bought another two bags after finishing the first one. I polished off the dregs of it today after being opened for a few weeks and it still holds up well.

If you get a chance check out white Star coffee too. Really consistently high quality beans for pour over. Looking forward to trying their Honey processed Timor Leste which I've just received.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Steep enough price wise compared to bailies or badger and dodo which is where I normally shop. Is it worth it? Might go for a kilo bag at £36 If it's highly recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Got 1kg of SAM today - ordered the 9th (yesterday) arrived today (10th) which was great - roast date is the 2nd of July which is ok, though would have preferred a few days fresher!

Was in their Pearse Street store yesterday roast date on all their 250gs was June 18th still bought 2, so you are doing much better.

Bell Lane: 10% off all single origin coffees this weekend, just use the code SINGLE10

WCC: Releasing our second new coffee of the weekend.

Ten % code: PIENDAMO (24hrs)

COLOMBIA PIENDAMO
    Washed (Organic)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Bell Lane: 10% off all single origin coffees this weekend, just use the code SINGLE10

WCC: Releasing our second new coffee of the weekend.

Ten % code: PIENDAMO (24hrs)

COLOMBIA PIENDAMO
    Washed (Organic)

Can't read when you change the font colour

Steep enough price wise compared to bailies or badger and dodo which is where I normally shop. Is it worth it? Might go for a kilo bag at £36 If it's highly recommended.

I think it is. But maybe dont start with 1kg in case you dont like it?

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Can't read when you change the font colour

Sorry not sure how that happened - wasn't deliberate! Edited it so hopefully fixed it.

A new Burundi launched by WCC today - and 10% off all coffee until midnight - code: TENPERCENT

20% off Three Fools at the moment as well :) Free shipping over 25 euro as well!
    https://threefoolscoffee.ie/product-category/coffee/

Guessing they aren't freshly roasted, but I guess I'll find out next week when it arrives :pac:

• Advertisement

Anyone ordered anything from gardelli coffee? https://shop.gardellicoffee.com/ Anything you'd recommend?

Anyone ordered anything from gardelli coffee? https://shop.gardellicoffee.com/ Anything you'd recommend?

Ground state coffee shop in James St, Dublin sell a few different Gardelli beans FYI. I havent ordered from them as I'm always put off by the delivery charges but their beans are top though. You wont be disappointed with whatever you choose. Stay away from anything Indonesian unless you like tobacco notes, they are nice to try now and again but I wouldn't want a full bag.

Mabó (Romania) are along the same lines in terms of quality if you're ever looking for something a bit more special.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Gforcemurphy

A new Burundi launched by WCC today - and 10% off all coffee until midnight - code: TENPERCENT

Can I ask where these discounts are being announced? That’s a few times now I’ve spotted this just too late! Window always seems pretty tight too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Got a bag of this last week, very impressed.

https://www.stonevalleyroasters.com/shop/warmthrillofconfusion

They're a bit expensive compared to others, 15.50 for a 250g bag shipped, but great coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Can I ask where these discounts are being announced? That’s a few times now I’ve spotted this just too late! Window always seems pretty tight too.

Usually on their Twitter and Instagram accounts

sozbox wrote: »

Exactly! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Gforcemurphy

D’oh!

Spot the aul fella.

Thanks.
    sozbox wrote: »

Danger781 wrote: »
    20% off Three Fools at the moment as well :) Free shipping over 25 euro as well!
    https://threefoolscoffee.ie/product-category/coffee/

Guessing they aren't freshly roasted, but I guess I'll find out next week when it arrives :pac:

Received today and no roast Date on package. There is a Best Before date of November 2021. I emailed Three Fools and was told that the beans I ordered were roasted July 7th. Very random to have a 16 month expiry date so I'm dubious to be honest.

Danger781 wrote: »
    Received today and no roast Date on package. There is a Best Before date of November 2021. I emailed Three Fools and was told that the beans I ordered were roasted July 7th. Very random to have a 16 month expiry date so I'm dubious to be honest.

Cheers for that - it put me off ordering tbh, at that price point I'd be expecting transparency over roast dates. They don't even have roast info on their site iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,722 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Ordered the Burundi and Fafa Reis from WCC late Tuesday night, shipped on Wednesday and delivered today to Dublin, roast date yesterday. That's a mental turnaround

• Advertisement

Ordered the Burundi and Fafa Reis from WCC late Tuesday night, shipped on Wednesday and delivered today to Dublin, roast date yesterday. That's a mental turnaround

Your man Tony is always working. I sent an order in at 12.30 one night and he emailed me straight away saying something was out of stock, offering a different type of coffee. He's a machine.

Well, whats the verdict?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭mrm

limnam wrote: »
    Anyone know how often they roast?

That sounds a bit on the "old" side compared to other roasters.

This months Bell Lane subscription roast date was much better - delivered on the 16th, roasted on the 15th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Its getting to the stage where they're roasting it in the van on the way up

• Registered Users Posts: 44 repulsebay321

Just got the Innovation and Ethiopian micro lot 2 roast fron WCC. Ordering on a Fri morning which might not be the smartest decision for getting it quickly after roasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

The disadvantage of this thread is that I'm not out of coffee and I'm waiting for a really good deal on another bag :p

I've been drinking too much tea for my liking the last few days.

15% off Bailies until July 24th!

Code: "JUSTBREWIT"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,722 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Well, whats the verdict?? :)

The Burundi is lovely, haven't given the Fafa Reis a whirl yet as waiting for it to rest a bit longer.

Also, anyone seen Origin are now doing their house espresso blend in Nespresso pods? 10 of them for £5.50, might be worth a punt whenever offices reopen to throw in the drawer.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 hecmail

Doesn't work for me, was it just until yesterday (their instagram says it was just for the weekend)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Any WCC codes at the moment?

hecmail wrote: »
    Doesn't work for me, was it just until yesterday (their instagram says it was just for the weekend)

Sorry about that - the email did include the following but maybe it was an error? :-(

(Offer valid until 24th July. 15% is applicable to Bailies Coffee 250g and 1kg retail packs. Discount is applied at check out. Postage fee still applies, not available on subscription products).

The Burundi is lovely, haven't given the Fafa Reis a whirl yet as waiting for it to rest a bit longer.

Also, anyone seen Origin are now doing their house espresso blend in Nespresso pods? 10 of them for £5.50, might be worth a punt whenever offices reopen to throw in the drawer.

Ordered a bag of the burundi, cant wait to give it a go. Very quick despatch from WCC! Anyone tried the piendamo (columbian?)

hecmail wrote: »

Just to say I used this now and it does work! Valid until 24th July so today may be the last day (or tomorrow, not sure!)

mrm wrote: »
    This months Bell Lane subscription roast date was much better - delivered on the 16th, roasted on the 15th.

I order my coffee a good week before I need it to allow degassing. Coffee isn't at its best until at least 7-10 days post-roast.

I order my coffee a good week before I need it to allow degassing. Coffee isn't at its best until at least 7-10 days post-roast.

Yeah it was nice this time to have the degassing duration at my own discretion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Is that a scientific fact?

I don't have any papers or the like but I've read numerous blogs from respected roasters on the topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭smcclaw

General consensus seems to be to let beans rest 7-10 days as per earlier comment. One of the more interesting insights that I read (from a scientist! https://sprudge.com/5-incredible-myths-of-coffee-freshness-revealed-86011.html) was that it may not be just about the coffee tasting better after a week but that the beans are quite volatile in that early stage in terms of degassing (the rate of which varies significantly by bean and roast type) so that for espresso it can be more difficult to dial in your shots each day.

The recommendations do vary a bit:

La Cabra says wait a month for filter (https://www.lacabra.dk/blogs/news/we-should-be-resting-our-coffee)
    The Barn says 12-14 days for espresso (https://thebarn.de/pages/after-we-roast)

There are too many variables involved to have one solution for all. For example, cupping should be done within 24 hours after roasting. On the other hand, some coffees need time to express their full potential, such as was the case of 2019 Indonesian barista champion who used a coffee that was used 2 months after roasting. (https://europeancoffeetrip.com/coffee-freshness-science/)

Is that a scientific fact?

What? That "I order my coffee a good week before I need it....."?

I'd say that is undoubtedly scientific fact!

I often use it after 3-4 days and find it fine!

If you are waiting 2 weeks to start using it, and then it goes stale after 3 weeks, it's worse than avocados! :o:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement