Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

sailing wrote: »
    I suspect all of the airlines will soon be doing circuits for currency.
    Not all. A friend of mine works for a large European carrier, they've put the entire fleet into storage and are letting crew recency checks, SIM checks, medicals, IDs etc lapse when they fall due. They have banned all training and purchasing of parts (they're going to rob some aircraft to keep the others serviceable in storage.
    He reckons that once this crisis has passed they'll only return the fleet will be less than half the size they were before this thing started so won't need the numbers they now have.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭cson

What do we think the fleet will look like in 12 months time?

I think its safe to say every carrier will be materially smaller than they were pre COVID.

Can see a lot of the Euro routes outside the core getting cut, can see pretty much every Eastern European route for the chop and most of the Italian ones outside of Rome. I think the US network will survive mostly intact but MSP, PHL, MIA could be under pressure as well as MCO if the Disney traffic doesn't come back.

Accelerated retirements of the older frames and anything coming off lease won't be replaced. They'll lean heavily on the A321neo fleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭sherology

.He reckons that once this crisis has passed they'll only return the fleet will be less than half the size they were before this thing started so won't need the numbers they now have.

That's an absolute given in my opinion. Trunk routes to hubs and capitals and interlining will become the new normal for the foreseeable future with a slow build-out to pre-crisis fleets and routes taking a [long] 'time'. I also see IAG 'encouraging' it's airlines to synchronise their schedules to facilitate interlining within the group to keep cash 'inside' the overall grouping. EI interline more outside the group than inside. If that does occur, and BA is also a smaller airline, perhaps a move to T5 at LHR may be on the cards, using BAs lounges etc. This would facilitate faster/easier connections, and reduce EI expenditure at LHR.

If you pine for the 80's... You're in for a nostalgic trip when things thaw out and start to move again.

Bucket and spade routes likely to rebound, TATL back to an extent, hopefully EI will have the Atlantic to itself for a period as US airlines focus on rebuilding larger eurohubs etc.

Let FR have the lean euro-routes (and for the love of God get the interlining with them done - plenty of time to iron out the business kinks now so they're ready in autumn-ish) and let EI focus on rebuilding DUB as their transfer hub to cities they can make some coin in.

Personally, I think the LR fleet will stay at 4 (or very close if #5 is already in production) with the XLRs coming in 2023. It's a better all-rounder.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Not sure if this was already posted, but I found it on Youtube,

RC model of an MD-11 in Aer Lingus livery;

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Marvellous. Those big RC models are a real labour of love.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I thought they were just gonna drive around and sound like the real thing. I did not expect them to fly! Amazing.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I thought they were just gonna drive around and sound like the real thing. I did not expect them to fly! Amazing.

If you go down the YouTube rabbit hole, there’s a whole world of replica RC jets of all shape and size, that fly and are made to stunning detail, and painted in lots of various liveries.

If you go down the YouTube rabbit hole, there’s a whole world of replica RC jets of all shape and size, that fly and are made to stunning detail, and painted in lots of various liveries.

I already spied some in the side bar.

I'm 2 weeks out from a thesis deadline. I'm so proud of myself that I managed to avoid going down that rabbit hole.

They're so bloody cool.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

If you go down the YouTube rabbit hole, there’s a whole world of replica RC jets of all shape and size,.......... .
    I've seen the military ones, with working landing gear, weapons bays that open and braking chutes upon landing.
    Just amazing.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

if you fancy a challenge, try one of these, over 40 years old, best way to describe them even with modern radio gear is that you are trying to balance a tennis ball on the point of a knitting needle. Rotor diameter of 1.5 Mtrs, you do NOT get too close to these beasts, 7Kg in full flight trim.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

I follow this guy Ramy and he posts videos of him building these RC aircraft and the work is incredible!
    [URL] https://www.youtube.com/user/ramyfrah [/URL]

Jeez it doesn’t take much for these topics to get side tracked does it ?!

It is an EI liveried plane tbf...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

I see EI8542 is scheduled to fly Vancouver to Toronto today. Is this flight actually happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

I see EI8542 is scheduled to fly Vancouver to Toronto today. Is this flight actually happening?

That's a codeshare with Air Canada, flight AC102 AFAIK.
    https://info.flightmapper.net/flight/Aer_Lingus_EI_8542

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

EchoIndia wrote: »
    That's a codeshare with Air Canada, flight AC102 AFAIK.
    https://info.flightmapper.net/flight/Aer_Lingus_EI_8542

Ah that makes more sense - I don't normally see codeshares listed on FR. Also, interestingly AC102 scheduled to land at 14.18 while EI8542 at 14.17..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Are the DUB - PEK flights finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

First batch complete, second batch awaited

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Mebuntu wrote: »

Literally a page ago! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

From insta.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Jeez it doesn’t take much for these topics to get side tracked does it ?!
    Good point. I've given myself a stern talking to and hope the rest follow suit......

• Registered Users Posts: 15,583 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Not sure if this was on here already but I think this Aer Lingus jet looks great,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOtDr8TjFL4

That's the livery all Aer Lingus jets should have.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

AMKC wrote: »
    Not sure if this was on here already but I think this Aer Lingus jet looks great,

Oh hell no!!!

Horrible messy livery. Looks like a budget airline.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Is part of the IRFU sponsorship deal, it's used to fly the team around Europe where required, is used on the LHR route outside of those requirements.

Not feasible to have the fleet in it given the players featured change, their respray bill would be astronomical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Thanks for sharing this. On opening the page, I saw the following on the scroll bar on the RH side:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4_t7a0gXRQ

On 1m23, there is a TU 134 belonging to Aeroflot taking off. Did Aeroflot fly regularly then between Dublin & ( I guess ) Moscow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Is part of the IRFU sponsorship deal, it's used to fly the team around Europe where required, is used on the LHR route outside of those requirements.

Not feasible to have the fleet in it given the players featured change, their respray bill would be astronomical.

The fleet desk plan which aircraft fly where on a nightly basis for the following day. This will take into account any number of factors eg: maintenance requirements, flight cycles, defects being carried which might limit range/altitude capability/airways/airspace that can and can't be flown through etc. On the day the plan will be updated depending on delays, snags and the usual disruption that can and does occur.

The rugby branded aircraft fly across the entire shorthaul network. It would be a logistical nightmare to keep a specific aircraft on a route not to mention screw up flight cycles and have knock on effects to leases and profit margins etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Any A320 can appear anywhere on the network, random unless there is a reason to keep it away from some routes, e.g. T9 airspace where HF is needed etc

If Ireland are playing, yes there does appear to be a plan to get it to fly that route over that weekend

Been to DUS on DEO, not exactly a rugby stronghold...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

jowidon wrote: »
    Hi all.

With the low load factor for pax on most services that are running, I'm surprised that DUB-KIR and DUB-CFN are surviving. I don't suppose they are moving significant freight on the ATR. Are they obliged to keep these routes officially operating to access PSO funding?

I would have thought they could make an exception to temporarily suspend any operating obligations under the current circumstances.

They are paid to provide a service, empty or full makes no difference to operator and likely be no saving for taxpayer by suspending.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Due to the thread size, a new thread has been opened, with the last page of posts from this thread
    It can be found at https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058076485

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement