Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Majority happy yes, personally I would accepted the voucher but they caused a lot of trouble for travel agents when it shouldn't have happened.

The handing of the situation was them just copying other airlines...nothing innovative from Shamrock house at all!

If a passenger is booking with a travel agent, their contract is with them & up to the travel agent to reimburse, the travel agent then claims from the airline..

I don't see what the issue is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

OU812 wrote: »
    If a passenger is booking with a travel agent, their contract is with them & up to the travel agent to reimburse, the travel agent then claims from the airline..

I don't see what the issue is.

If only it was that simple, there wouldn't be problems...

It is fair to say Aer Lingus and many carriers have handled refunds/cancellations badly and have gotten away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    If only it was that simple, there wouldn't be problems...

It is fair to say Aer Lingus and many carriers have handled refunds/cancellations badly and have gotten away with it.

It's quite *literally* that simple. That's Consumer Law 101 & how business works.

Passengers who booked direct, got onto the company they had the contract with, they were offered rebooking at no charge, a voucher +10% or if they pressed, a refund.

Passengers who booked with a travel agent went to them. The travel agent gets a substantially discounted seat price so they can make their cut on it, they deal with the airline.
    Passenger -> Airline
    Passenger -> Travel Agent -> Airline

That's the chain. The airline shouldn't deal with any passengers who didn't book directly as they're not their customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I have an upcoming flight booked with them for the end of May, they've already written to me on a few occasions telling me that I could rebook it for later (which is no good to me) or I can have a voucher refund +20% but I don't want an Aer Lingus voucher for the same reason that I'd never buy an Aer Lingus (or Ryanair) voucher for myself or anyone else for that matter.
    Am I right in thinking that if I wait until they cancel the flight I can just ask for a full refund...?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I have an upcoming flight booked with them for the end of May, they've already written to me on a few occasions telling me that I could rebook it for later (which is no good to me) or I can have a voucher refund +20% but I don't want an Aer Lingus voucher for the same reason that I'd never buy an Aer Lingus (or Ryanair) voucher for myself or anyone else for that matter.
    Am I right in thinking that if I wait until they cancel the flight I can just ask for a full refund...?

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I have 2 claims for refunds with AL and 1 with Ry. Ry have asked for patience while they ‘work’ through the backlog

refer to your recent request for a refund on your booking confirmation Xxxxx.

Due to the high volume of flight cancellations due to COVID 19, we are experiencing an unprecedented high volume of requests. We are currently working through the backlog and ask that you please bear with us.

Al meanwhile keep sending me emails informing me I can change my flights. ( both cancelled ) the latest today

This despite having applied for refunds for both flights on 17th March and receiving acknowledgments of same.

Thank you for your email. Your case reference is xxxxxxx We will review and process your request as quickly as possible

In short neither are happy with refunding and I suppose you can’t blame them.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

EI-LAX positioning BOD - SNN today for what one would presume will be long term parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

That's what I have done but be prepared fora game of chicken in which despite knowing days in advance that your flight is cancelled,. EI will not send you any notification of this. Only if you hit the check in button will you see your outbound leg cancelled but the return probably not, with an advisory to contact customer support. I could not get through on the local number EI provided so resorted to Facebook to get them to confirm the flight was cancelled. During this exchange the agent was pushing (though in fairness not hard) the voucher. I just asked them to confirm that I can also submit a claim for refund. They said yes and said it would be looked into. In fact under the current law there is nothing to look into. If the airline cancels the flight, you are entitled to a full refund.

A voucher for an airline that may not fly from my city post crisis is worth less than toilet paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

But at least the fleet is flying well..........:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭blackwhite

OU812 wrote: »
    *their

They really haven't "destroyed" anything. The majority of people were more than happy to receive their voucher (+10%). Some were upset, but if they pushed, they got a refund.

Personally, I think their handling of the situation showed innovation & business smarts.

the vouchers haven't exactly been fast in turned around. Submitted a request last week for a US trip first week of May. No sign of anything yet, and the trip still listing on my EI profile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

EI-LAX is now stored in SNN after flying in from Bordeaux after maintenance

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Kcormahs

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/1129572/

Lufthansa group looking for state aid from Germany Austria Belgium and Switzerland (where it has its airlines based)!with urgency. Loosing 1m per HOUR!

Will Aer lingus be bailout by the Irish government? Could that happen if it came to the worst?
    Or Iberia-VY by the Spanis Gov?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

blackwhite wrote: »
    the vouchers haven't exactly been fast in turned around. Submitted a request last week for a US trip first week of May. No sign of anything yet, and the trip still listing on my EI profile

Applied 3 weeks ago and still waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Former Coach

My flight to San Fran. at the end of the month is cancelled (email received this morning).
    I’m completing the Refund form but not sure which drop-down option is most applicable when it comes to the ‘Flight related refund’ stage. Most likely are ‘Cancellation due to a disruption’ and ‘ General cancellation and request for Govenment taxes refund’.
    Any suggestions??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

My flight to San Fran. at the end of the month is cancelled (email received this morning).
    I’m completing the Refund form but not sure which drop-down option is most applicable when it comes to the ‘Flight related refund’ stage. Most likely are ‘Cancellation due to a disruption’ and ‘ General cancellation and request for Govenment taxes refund’.
    Any suggestions??

Do not do this ‘ General cancellation and request for Govenment taxes refund’.

---

Go other and then fill out comments.

You can add in flight related refund cancellation due to disruption if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭IQO

https://twitter.com/paul_deegan/status/1248264692725940226

Recent Aer Lingus flight over the Great Wall of China

EVK6HegU0AY_ShJ?format=jpg&name=large

EVK6HegU0AUL3_j?format=jpg&name=large

EVK6He4UEAAOU8a?format=jpg&name=large

EVK6HfqU0AAPrE4?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Not sure if anyone noticed DEO had to take a spin down and back to Bordeaux today, this to faciliate dropping off the pilots to bring LAX home as no alternative transportation is available currently (BOD for example is closed to commercial traffic).

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone noticed DEO had to take a spin down and back to Bordeaux today, this to faciliate dropping off the pilots to bring LAX home as no alternative transportation is available currently (BOD for example is closed to commercial traffic).

Expensive lift. :eek:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

NH2013 wrote: »
    Expensive lift. :eek:

Probably cheaper than paying to park a 330 at Bordeaux, among other issues.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Also a chance to get some currency on type for pilots on A320 family, not many A320 flights currently

Also keeps DEO up to date to avoid a check after parking for too long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

One thing to bear in mind with vouchers is that if companies flee to bankruptcy as a way to restructure (as airlines have a tendency to do) then you'll be very, very far down the list of unsecured creditors.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭sailing

Also a chance to get some currency on type for pilots on A320 family, not many A320 flights currently

Also keeps DEO up to date to avoid a check after parking for too long

I suspect all of the airlines will soon be doing circuits for currency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

What’s the story with a credit card charge back on flights?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    What’s the story with a credit card charge back on flights?

Half the threads in the travel section are about this - yes you can do a charge back if your airline won"t refund you in cash.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Refunds have nothing to do with fleet and there's a bazillion other threads on it...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

Anyone see the insane compensation claim that has gone in against them in the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Anyone see the insane compensation claim that has gone in against them in the US?

Ah here! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

Ah here! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

??? It's insane. Staff must have thought it was a prank when they tried to get her out of the loo. There's more details on here.

I could get over it. A friend who works in Aer Lingus sent it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

EI-DAA heading to SNN shortly for parking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Only 2 Aer Lingus flights in the air right now, dailies to BOS and ORD.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement