Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Please have your “fact” correct before posting, thank you.
    We already have a few moderators on this forum so no need for anyone else to try and moderate their fellow posters

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

MoeJay wrote: »
    Is that of my post is not factually correct? I made no comment about who contracted the operator.

You alleged a "relationship" between EI and the Government; I countered that there is a commercial end to this, quite similar to that used for the troop charters.

The troop charters are not contracted by the State or any of it agencies. These are commercial arrangements made by the UN or the EU, whichever Organisation the Defence Force personal happen to be serving.

Tenger wrote: »
    We already have a few moderators on this forum so no need for anyone else to try and moderate their fellow posters

Can I ask where its written that it is not permitted to counter a incorrect statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Back on track here

EI9018 and EI9020 are en route to PEK

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Can I ask where its written that it is not permitted to counter a incorrect statement?

Countering an incorrect statement is objectively fine (even though in this case the poster didn’t specify anything about which entity pays for those charters)

The polite warning concerned your attempt to instruct another poster about when or how they can post here.

So let’s be less concerned with nitpicking each other and more concerned with the tone of our posts.
    Otherwise I start to ban posters

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Saul88

MJohnston wrote: »
    Aren't most people praising Aer Lingus crew rather than just the airline itself? That's what I've seen. The crew deserve the praise and thanks.

I personally think it went way overboard (including on here). The crew are doing a very important and skilful job but in reality they are doing something that’s second nature to them in a very very safe environment.

Yes I’m proud but definitely no prouder than the shelve stackers mixing with the public while being paid almost minimum wage / bus drivers / postmen etc who are interfacing with the public.

I’ve seen a well known aviation analyst on Twitter call American cabin crew first responders, an insult to the real first responders.

Aviation from a distance has always had a romantic element to it but we need to get real to who the real hero’s of this pandemic are.

Saul88 wrote: »
    I personally think it went way overboard (including on here). The crew are doing a very important and skilful job but in reality they are doing something that’s second nature to them in a very very safe environment.

Yes I’m proud but definitely no prouder than the shelve stackers mixing with the public while being paid almost minimum wage / bus drivers / postmen etc who are interfacing with the public.

I’ve seen a well known aviation analyst on Twitter call American cabin crew first responders, an insult to the real first responders.

Aviation from a distance has always had a romantic element to it but we need to get real to who the real hero’s of this pandemic are.
    Have to say I very much agree with the conclusions you’ve drawn in your comments.
    Unfortunately the tabloid jingoistic drivel that is been spewed forth on Social media and certain aspects of mainstream media here in Ireland is almost equal to that of Britain’s nationalistic media.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Have to agree, I find it cringeworthy some of the applauding that has been done for some.

Our healthcare staff are the real heroes here, make no doubt about it, however everyone can play their part!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭billie1b

IngazZagni wrote: »
    So is this a case of Russia dragging their feet with regards to overfly rights? Typical Russian bureaucracy if it’s the case. Especially disappointing as these are flights to deliver essential health equipment. I doubt the same issues would happen if the roles were reversed.

Only catching up on the thread now, friend was an f/o on one the flights canx, they were told the Chinese companies handling and managing the supplies ran out/short, so the flight were cancelled to allow them catch up on the supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I think there's more nuance to how most people are praising things. But whatever. This is an utterly bleak time to live through, and people are just looking for optimism and bright sparks. I think this thread's grumpiness is utterly pointless in the face of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Agreed. It's a win win situation folks. Aer Lingus is able to fly it's aircraft whilst making a profit on those flights during this crisis and the Country gets its much needed supply of medical equipment. Everyone goes home happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sherology

I think there's more nuance to how most people are praising things. But whatever. This is an utterly bleak time to live through, and people are just looking for optimism and bright sparks. I think this thread's grumpiness is utterly pointless in the face of that.

AGREE

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

People need something to look to in a time like this. This is a thing to look to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

You know you are in an aviation forum right?!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

From FR24, there looks to be about fifteen A320s still operating in April mostly in the morning. DUS, LHR, MAN, BHX, FRA, MUN, TXL..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

How come today's flight to PEK made it's turn before it reached Holyhead, where as most of the previous flights had being going as far as Amsterdam before taking the turn towards Beijing.

ozzy jr wrote: »
    How come today's flight to PEK made it's turn before it reached Holyhead, where as most of the previous flights had being going as far as Amsterdam before taking the turn towards Beijing.

Slightly different routing due to ATC or wind benefits probably

Being reported by RTÉ now that much of the medical equipment delivered is defective and unusable. Very disappointing if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

While they're getting deserved credit for handling the Beijing flights, they're making a balls of handling refunds. They're cancelling flights last minute in the hope that people will just go for the voucher or a change in travel date.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,685 ✭✭✭jd

IngazZagni wrote: »

Being reported by RTÉ now that much of the medical equipment delivered is defective and unusable. Very disappointing if true.
    That's not quite what is being said. It is up to WHO standards, but not what they are use to eg more cumbersome .
    https://twitter.com/andrewflood/status/1245975179588775936

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭PinOnTheRight

Probably given a direct routing by ATC as a short cut given amount of traffic around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

I just want to point out in all your level headedness that you're factually incorrect to say that this is second nature. They're doing roughly 27-28 hour duties in sectors where they've never operated before. That is not second nature and does go above and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sherology

Kev11491 wrote: »
    While they're getting deserved credit for handling the Beijing flights, they're making a balls of handling refunds. They're cancelling flights last minute in the hope that people will just go for the voucher or a change in travel date.

It's a pain in the bum (I had two flights booked but was glad to be able to push them to next autumn/winter given the disaster we're all in - I'll worry about it then) but I would assume it's 100% intentional, and EI are not alone in Europe for doing it. They won't exist at all if they refund, they will if they move the goal posts.

jd wrote: »
    That's not quite what is being said. It is up to WHO standards, but not what they are use to eg more cumbersome .

That may be true but there are other problems such as the garments only having three quarter length sleeves which don’t cover the arm fully making them useless.
    I just want to point out in all your level headedness that you're factually incorrect to say that this is second nature. They're doing roughly 27-28 hour duties in sectors where they've never operated before. That is not second nature and does go above and beyond.

It’s absolutely a gruelling shift. However loads of those in the aviation industry including myself would love to be in a position of still getting at least 50% pay and operating these vital flights. Unfortunately I’m not in that position and sitting at home instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Social distancing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Storm 10

The crew that flew the first flight to China will be on tonight's Late Late Show

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Storm 10 wrote: »
    The crew that flew the first flight to China will be on tonight's Late Late Show

I really hope these pilots and the EI PR machine don't try to claim any glory from real front line staff working in hospitals etc. Being in a sterile cockpit doing your job does not require any additional praise.

What about the local medicine delivery drivers, supermarkets cashiers, airport front line staff etc who are in genuine harm's way? Fair play to the pilots for going (some of who are friends) but on the late late show... really?

Checks date.......:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

jd wrote: »

And not a single thing to do with Aer Lingus.

They fly to a point, pick up some stuff and fly home.

That is their only, not to inspect anything.

Many fingers to point but not EI

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

No overnighting now. Tougher on crew positioning on outbound flights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mikel97

Why would they be on that show?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement