Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

If the attention Aer Lingus is getting (none of it the airline has actively tried to create btw) bothers you, I’ll assume you’re lucky enough not to have too many worries during this crisis.

I’m sure most of us will be putting our efforts into more genuine concerns right now.

The airline did a job, they did it quietly and professionally, some people wish to congratulate them on that. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It's a bit mad to be honest, I don't see them picking up local workers from Tesco to be on the LLS (not that they have a particular high caliber on the LLS anyway)

However live and let live!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Hilarious, LinkedIn is littered with EI pilots/staff self promoting the china flights.

It's a time to be humble which many EI pilots seem to find difficult. Anyway hopefully it's just a discussion on logistics and not about reentry or weightlessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Hilarious, LinkedIn is littered with EI pilots/staff self promoting the china flights.

It's a time to be humble which many EI pilots seem to find difficult. Anyway hopefully it's just a discussion on logistics and not about reentry or weightlessness.

Stop. Just stop. You're making yourself look incredibly petty.

MJohnston wrote: »

On the contrary, it's what many people are thinking. Hence the numerous comments around social media and even a thread started here on boards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I’m not on LinkedIn so I have zero interest in what ppl feel the need to post.*
    Similarly I disregard most of what I see posted on Facebook.

*did create an account years ago and realised it’s just ppl making their mid level job seem like they are the power behind the CEO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

MJohnston wrote: »

Petty - No

Bewildered - Yes

Globally airlines are in a crisis so they will take any work going. If that includes doing a round trip to China to pick up supplies well then so be it.

They are professionals doing a job, nothing more, nothing less.

The fawning over what in reality is a very simple task with the added worry that they don't get to put their heads down on clean sheets in a hotel for the night is staggering.

The airline would do a risk assessment. The pilots would fly the approach/landing in the sim. Now apart from all of that what is so different to a flight to LA?

They are not exactly dropping into a war zone where the risk of getting out hinges on passing the right amount of money to the right people!

The very worst that could happen to the these guys is that they are a little bit more tired from a 24 hour duty. Tell that to a doctor/nurse on the front line of this thing.

Lets all try to focus on the topic here.
    EI are operating flights to China as contracted by the Irish Govt.
    Debate on the payment for the contract or the social media reaction around the country can stay on social media

• Registered Users Posts: 23,860 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

In fairness, they flew without cabin crew and the relief pilots had to figure out the galley without burning or poisoning anyone! No mean feat on it's own!

By the way, it is extremely petty not to recognise this airlift operation and the lightning fast conversion effort in the airline to make it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

A most enjoyable interview. Very informative. I can't see why some posters would be so begrudging and cynical in their comments here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Poor television

Cabin crew are taking bigger risks every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Comhra wrote: »
    A most enjoyable interview. Very informative. I can't see why some posters would be so begrudging and cynical in their comments here.
    I would imagine it would be partially vecause they were in a protected environment the whole time they under took the trip. Those on the front line are not and are exposed to serious dangers.

Represented themselves well no doubt but it really didn't warrant being on the late late show.

1000's of more deserving heroes in Ireland during this crisis could have been on.
    Simple fact, anyone who thinks differently is blinded by the shamrock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Represented themselves well no doubt but it really didn't warrant being on the late late show.

1000's of more deserving heroes in Ireland during this crisis could have been on.

I'm pretty sure no-one in Aer Lingus asked for the crew to be featured on the LLS. I'd imagine it's more to do with the difficulties in getting regular guests to travel to Montrose in the present situation. Saying people are 'blinded by the shamrock' is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Of course there are many more deserving of the most honourable recognition of being on the Late Late, I don’t think anybody is disputing that.

If it bothers you so much, maybe take it up with The Late Late producers, not the airline which remains near silent on the matter.

Aer Lingus is doing a job, it is doing it quietly and professionally. The media and general public seem to have a big interest in the operation, that’s up to them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Could we go back to fleet/routes and not this, please

As above I think their appearance on LLS was more a desire from RTÉ than a need for good PR.

(*Don’t watch the LLS myself, so not really bothered by this appearance.)

So as I requested already, regardless of our personal views let’s try to move on from nitpicking the national/social media response to this contracted cargo operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Would there be staff beds on those A330, like secret beds in the ceiling void.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Phil.x wrote: »

Considering this is actually a fleet related question...

A number of A330s are fitted with under-floor crew rests. In this case they would be using business class flatbeds which would be more comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 irishkopite93

Any idea why Aerlingus are doing morning rotations to Edinburgh and Glasgow with a 320? Surely if stobart pulled the ATR from these the numbers aren't there to warrant a 320 in the current climate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,860 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Any idea why Aerlingus are doing morning rotations to Edinburgh and Glasgow with a 320? Surely if stobart pulled the ATR from these the numbers aren't there to warrant a 320 in the current climate?

Cos they don't have access to anything smaller right now?

Any flights currently are essential service stuff, repatriation and so on. In all likelihood Ireland - Britain sectors are going without catering at the moment, the 320 serves a useful purpose of permitting distancing on board for a skeleton crew and light pax load

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Phil.x wrote: »

There is a crew rest module which slots into the cargo hold which has a magic door at the L3 position from the main cabin. There is a bunk behind the cockpit on at least one aircraft.

The aircraft being used to PEK some don't have the crew module fitted, it possible it was removed on the others to make more space in the hold.

Its a lot nicer in business class, quieter for a start, 30 seats 8 people so heaps of room though I'm guessing 3K and 5K were prized choices for the pilots who flew back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Thought it was funny the engineer saying he had to go back and check on the cargo every 15-20 minutes. Was thinking to myself that’s a lot more attention than the passengers on the A330 get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Thought it was funny the engineer saying he had to go back and check on the cargo every 15-20 minutes. Was thinking to myself that’s a lot more attention than the passengers on the A330 get.

Another job the cabin crew have and that is usually over looked, is being fire wardens. Probably isn't noticed but they do patrols. Toilet bins and the IFE systems do need checking. All those boxes strapped to the seats do need monitoring. There is always a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

I presume AL aren’t applying social/ physical distancing rules in terms of seating arrangements on flights or are they, out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Gekko wrote: »
    I presume AL aren’t applying social/ physical distancing rules in terms of seating arrangements on flights or are they, out of curiosity?

They are. Assigned seating, outbound and inbound crews separated, relief pilot in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭flanzer

They are. Assigned seating, outbound and inbound crews separated, relief pilot in the middle.

They've been assigned a toilet too

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Pic from @aerlingus on Twitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Pic from @aerlingus on Twitter

Why not double stack on top of the seats and strap it down.

I have heard 17 tons weight, what is max. weight they could have carried?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

easypazz wrote: »
    Why not double stack on top of the seats and strap it down.

I have heard 17 tons weight, what is max. weight they could have carried?

Huge variation on weights. One load as little as 4 tonnes, another was 20 tonnes depending on products carried. No load has been higher than the seats. Would be impossible to secure if it was.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement