Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call the Guards or no?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

And here we have the lockdown lovers threatening people with a different view on the situation then them. Wonderful.

Same applies here.
    Mod: Stop with this "lockdown Fetish" crap. People being responsible doesn't mean they enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

endainoz wrote: »
    Some neighbours ye are. I would say to each their own.

How about flip it and say the other neighbours aren’t being very fair to them either, they’ve put them in the situation not the other way around. It’s all well and good in a normal society but this isn’t normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

And here we have the lockdown lovers threatening people with a different view on the situation then them. Wonderful.

Lockdown lovers is definitely top 5 stupidest things I've ever seen on Boards. No one loves the lockdown, its just some of us are responsible adults.

There is no "different view", there is one correct way to act and then there are selfish imbeciles.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Terrible the amount of people youd infect doing 30kmh on a bike through the wilderness of the Wicklow mountains. I mean, never mind the fact that a respiratory illness would likely mean you could turn the pedals over.

You’re dead right. Shouldn’t be out at all, if only the selfish morons cared about anyone but themselves.

“cycling and running slipstream is big risk for Covid19 spread”

“New research by Dutch and Belgian scientists has concluded cyclists and runners should stay much further apart than the two metres generally recommended to stem the spread of Covid19.”

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/video-how-cycling-and-running-slipstream-is-big-risk-for-covid19-spread/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I mean, never mind the fact that a respiratory illness would likely mean you could turn the pedals over.

asymptomatic
    /eɪˌsɪmptəˈmatɪk/

adjective: asymptomatic
    (of a condition or a person) producing or showing no symptoms.
    "infection is usually asymptomatic"

You really need to learn more about this whole situation before commenting on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Lockdown lovers is definitely top 5 stupidest things I've ever seen on Boards. No one loves the lockdown, its just some of us are responsible adults.

There is no "different view", there is one correct way to act and then there are selfish imbeciles.

"Selfish imbeciles" - FINE!:o
    Threatening language - FINE!:eek:
    Alliteration - NOT FINE!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

hurikane wrote: »
    1000’s

Anything to support this ?

asymptomatic
    /eɪˌsɪmptəˈmatɪk/

adjective: asymptomatic
    (of a condition or a person) producing or showing no symptoms.
    "infection is usually asymptomatic"

You really need to learn more about this whole situation before commenting on it.

Oh no. Sorry Deebles. I'd argue you would in fact need to 'learn more about this situation'.

"There are few reports of laboratory-confirmed cases who are truly asymptomatic, and to date, there has been no
    documented asymptomatic transmission"

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200402-sitrep-73-covid-19.pdf

Discodog wrote: »
    Anything to support this ?

No, you?

No, you?

I wasn't the one making the claim.

• Advertisement

Why would the neighbors know it's the op that called the Gardai?

Call. It's the idiots thinking that being off work is a holiday that undoes the work of others AND will be the cause of extended restrictions.

I lost a relative to Corona. No wake, no mass. Immediate family at the grave for a quick burial. I then went to work.

But hey, some people's beers are clearly more important

I wasn't the one making the claim.

No but all you’re doing is questioning emergency legislation.

It wouldn’t be there if it wasn’t needed.

You’re dead right. Shouldn’t be out at all, if only the selfish morons cared about anyone but themselves.

“cycling and running slipstream is big risk for Covid19 spread”

“New research by Dutch and Belgian scientists has concluded cyclists and runners should stay much further apart than the two metres generally recommended to stem the spread of Covid19.”

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/video-how-cycling-and-running-slipstream-is-big-risk-for-covid19-spread/

You reckon you'd be able to get up Sally's Gap while being infected with COVID? If people stay at home with symptoms, there is no risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭noddy69

maxsmum wrote: »
    Hi, OP here, I think my frustration is not from wanting to deny others their privacy but more my own at living by the rules and about to tear my hair out because of it. Anyone who has a young kid at home will probably know what I'm talking about. I'd love to call down to our friends on the road who have a kid the same age and have a few beers and let the kids enjoy themselves.
    There was no social distancing about the neighbours get together, they were parking in the drive and kissing on the cheeks etc. They are professionals next door working from home so they know the rules.
    All in all I wouldn't report them, I think it's bad karma, I think I'll just privately be jealous and resentful! They are good neighbours, friendly and pleasant and I think it's just them living the single life enjoying the time off work. It is interesting how some of us are taking this more seriously than others, they probably think I'm being too cautious, I think they're being reckless, we can agree to disagree.
    The reason for the quarantine is to stop the initial spread of the virus so the hospitals don't get completely overwhelmed. The majority of people sticking to the guidelines give them the best chance of success. This isn't going away so if people expect we'll be good in a few weeks then they need to think again.
    Yes you may be frustrated, as I am , with kids in a home while some others flout rules, but let them. It's possible both people and kids have been isolating for weeks and know each other. While they aren't sticking to guidelines its not exactly a murder or assault that needs to be reported to the guards. Or maybe not and they'll spread it to others not adhering to distancing, but that's going to happen anyway in the next few months so might as well be now.
    Fear is driving people to behaviour that shouldn't be tolerated. Neighbours calling guards on neighbours, people in the country believing they own the area they live in and saying other people from the same country not welcome !
    When all said and done the virus is here to stay and we all need to live with each other. Slow the spread yes, rat out next door I have to say no.

You reckon you'd be able to get up Sally's Gap while being infected with COVID? If people stay at home with symptoms, there is no risk.

I think you missed where the previous poster tried to educate you. Have a read back on the thread, look out for the word asymptomatic.

There’s no helping some people, intelligence isn’t something people are born with.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

Incorrect. Many people have minimal symptoms and do not realise they are infectious.
    Also true asymptomatic cases are well described. Doesn't mean they're not infectious.

https://www-rte-ie.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.rte.ie/amp/1128713/?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=15864455041574&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rte.ie%2Fnews%2F2020%2F0406%2F1128713-south-korea-records-less-than-50-new-cases-of-covid-19%2F

Not everyone gets a rip roaring pneumonia and is unable to move out of the bed.

I think you missed where the previous poster tried to educate you. Have a read back on the thread, look out for the word asymptomatic.

There’s no helping some people, intelligence isn’t something people are born with.

I think you missed the post replied to the person attempting to 'educate' me, where it was quite clear that in fact they are not 'educate'ed themselves.

If you have any evidence of asymptomatic transmission that the WHO doesn't know about, you should get in touch with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

I really can't get over the amount of stupid on this thread.
    It's unimaginable that people think the restrictions are in place for anything other than to restrict the spread.

People banging on about "The Stasi" and "Police State".
    You honestly are coming across like people who have just read the headline of a Tabloid and this has become your mantra.

The situation is so far from being ideal, just grow up and get on with it! Respect the others around you who choose to do the right thing.

No but all you’re doing is questioning emergency legislation.

It wouldn’t be there if it wasn’t needed.

Well we shall see when the figures are released of how many people had to be told to go home & of course how many are fined/jailed. The only prosecutions will be for motoring offences.

Simon Harris said on TV AM that he didn't want the legislation & neither did the cabinet. They only agreed under the strict proviso that it was just for this weekend & made it clear that they didn't want unnecessary prosecutions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

noddy69 wrote: »
    When all said and done the virus is here to stay and we all need to live with each other. Slow the spread yes, rat out next door I have to say no.

Essentially you're saying that the prudent should carry the full cost and let the feckless carry on as they want??

That's how social cohesion breaks down. We're either all in it together or else it's every man, woman & family for themselves. Which do you want?

• Advertisement

lozenges wrote: »
    Incorrect. Many people have minimal symptoms and do not realise they are infectious.
    Also true asymptomatic cases are well described.

https://www-rte-ie.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.rte.ie/amp/1128713/?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=15864455041574&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rte.ie%2Fnews%2F2020%2F0406%2F1128713-south-korea-records-less-than-50-new-cases-of-covid-19%2F

Not everyone gets a rip roaring pneumonia and is unable to move out of the bed.

"Not everyone gets a rip roaring pneumonia" - nobody is suggesting that. And the advice is absolutely crystal - unless you disagree - temperature and etc. is symptomatic, and if you have those, you should isolate.

"Doesn't mean they're not infectious." - No, but there is 0 evidence of it ever doing so. So why we are making policy decisions based on something with no proof, just a hunch, is not good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭noddy69

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Essentially you're saying that the prudent should carry the full cost and let the feckless carry on as they want??

That's how social cohesion breaks down. We're either all in it together or else it's every man, woman & family for themselves. Which do you want?

Social cohesion breaks down when neighbours call the guards on neighbours. Getting everyone to adhere is an ideal that cannot be reached. Basically it would be great if everyone adhered to sensible policies but I'm logical and understand many won't.
    You should be free to decide if you want to or if your an idiot.

At the end of the day the majority adhering slows the spread, which is what this is for. Its not Stopping the virus, which is impossible at this stage.

Well we shall see when the figures are released of how many people had to be told to go home & of course how many are fined/jailed. The only prosecutions will be for motoring offences.

Simon Harris said on TV AM that he didn't want the legislation & neither did the cabinet. They only agreed under the strict proviso that it was just for this weekend & made it clear that they didn't want unnecessary prosecutions.

Will the figures include the people that weren’t detected?

Indeed they didn’t want the legislation but it was required and brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

"Not everyone gets a rip roaring pneumonia" - nobody is suggesting that. And the advice is absolutely crystal - unless you disagree - temperature and etc. is symptomatic, and if you have those, you should isolate.

"Doesn't mean they're not infectious." - No, but there is 0 evidence of it ever doing so. So why we are making policy decisions based on something with no proof, just a hunch, is not good.

I'm afraid you're still incorrect.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32146694/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32190904/?from_term=covid-19+asymptomatic&from_pos=9

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32246886/?from_term=covid-19+asymptomatic&from_pos=10

Also if you look at the WHO report from 7 days ago they clearly acknowledge that people can transmit the virus who haven't developed symptoms yet (3-4days prior).
    What the WHO is querying and what is still unclear is if people can get covid-19 and never develop symptoms at all.

You said in an earlier post that someone who doesn't have symptoms can't transmit the virus. This is wrong.
    People need to follow the rules and not continually try to find excuses as to why it doesn't apply to them.

I think you missed the post replied to the person attempting to 'educate' me, where it was quite clear that in fact they are not 'educate'ed themselves.

If you have any evidence of asymptomatic transmission that the WHO doesn't know about, you should get in touch with them.

You actually haven’t a clue, it’s hard to believe someone is so foolish.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/06/who-says-the-coronavirus-can-spread-one-to-three-days-before-symptoms-start.html

lozenges wrote: »
    I'm afraid you're still incorrect.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32146694/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32190904/?from_term=covid-19+asymptomatic&from_pos=9

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32246886/?from_term=covid-19+asymptomatic&from_pos=10

Also if you look at the WHO report from 7 days ago they clearly acknowledge that people can transmit the virus who haven't developed symptoms yet (3-4days prior).
    What the WHO is querying and what is still unclear is if people can get covid-19 and never develop symptoms at all.

You said in an earlier post that someone who doesn't have symptoms can't transmit the virus. This is wrong.
    People need to follow the rules and not continually try to find excuses as to why it doesn't apply to them.

The WHO report from 7 days doesn't seem to acknowledge the report published 35 days ago.

I didn't say they couldn't transmit it. I said there was no evidence from the WHO that it had happened. There is no documented cases from WHO of it happening. I don't think that can be any clearer. And smells like they're distancing(!) themselves from some of the suggestions of it being reported.

I really don't agree with your last point, it is absolutely in people's right and should be encouraged to question some of the most draconian restrictions ever imposed on the global population.

The WHO report from 7 days doesn't seem to acknowledge the report published 35 days ago.

I didn't say they couldn't transmit it. I said there was no evidence from the WHO that it had happened. There is no documented cases from WHO of it happening. I don't think that can be any clearer. And smells like they're distancing(!) themselves from some of the suggestions of it being reported.

I really don't agree with your last point, it is absolutely in people's right and should be encouraged to question some of the most draconian restrictions ever imposed on the global population.

Would you ever give up? The WHO also were against stopping flights for China and Italy, closing borders. Look where we are now. It’s very hard to take you seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

People can be asymptomatic and still shed the virus. So it is factually incorrect to say it people wity symptoms stay home there is no risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Their will be a lot of people serving prison time that work in the WHO when this is all done and dusted if their is any Justice. The head of the WHO was put their by China and they have been parroting everything China want them to say ever since. They are beyond useless and should not be trusted at this stage.

• Advertisement

Did you watch this evenings briefing with the chief medical officer? I suppose not as you know better yourself?

https://www.rte.ie/news/post/103380316

“ Chief Medical Officer, Dr Tony Holohan said he thinks that the possibility of eliminating this virus is going to be "a challenge for the international community".

He said we are dealing with a virus that has asymptomatic transmission in a globalised world.

Mr Holohan said Ireland will be watching and learning what happens in other countries when restrictions are relaxed.

He said the number of Covid-19 tests complete is now "well above" 50,000.

Dr Holohan said we have substantially increased the number of tests each day, but that the challenge is to grow total testing capacity to allow us to have same day or next day results”

Advertisement