Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call the Guards or no?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭ijohhj

We are just about to turn into East Germany, reporting our neighbours to the authorities because of what we think they are doing.

Maybe your neighbours don't leave the house otherwise OP.

Maybe their visitors only leave their house to visit them.

Little chance of spread if that is the case.

I'm all for isolating my own family and abiding by the restrictions but I'm not going to call the Gardai just because I think someone else is not.

This is kind of where I stand.

Worst comes to the worst, let evolution do its' thing. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

ijohhj wrote: »

I'm not sure which is the worse part of people invoking evolution inappropriately. Their complete lack of knowledge of the science or the complete lack of empathy.

LOL though, let the weak die LMAO

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

2ff.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

If I saw someone driving erratically on a country road , I'd hope I'd ring guards and report as it's a risk to society. In a way, breaking the restrictions is no different. I have to walk to work each day, have seen cars pull into my estate as it's close by a scenic walk and families pile out to go for their 2km walk. Am tempted to report the next lot I see. A man today walked straight into me and when I asked him to stop while I stepped onto road to give 2m distance he said we're in fresh air it can't be transmitted! Are people that ignorant still out there. This kind of behaviour puts me in bad form for the day.. have met plenty like him who have no comprehension of keeping distance outdoors. Never realised how many genuinely stupid people there are out there until this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

This is partly true. It's killing our healthcare staff, our grandfather's and grandmother's, our brothers, sisters, sons and daughters. Those that are already sick and needy, and those trying to save them are the worst affected. Covid-19 IS killing what it means to be Irish. The Irish people themselves! And guess who's behind the covid-19 distribution network. ****ig morons who can't stay at home for a few days. Selfish p***ks!

Agree totally in what your saying, in our area a 15 year old girl was to be prayed for last night as she is on deaths door and these fools think that only old people can get it and 2m is the safety net. Every where it is being stated that hands are the most dangerous touching surfaces and transferring the Covid-19. These people need to wake up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Insightful and intelligent post.
    Will you repost when Evolution comes knocking on your door?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

while this may seem contradictory to my post yesterday..

one of the houses on my estate had a bday party in their front garden last night about 15-20 people there drinking with music prob aged mid 20s mostly. went on 2-3 hours.

neighbour WhatsApp was going wild. gardai were called by a few neighbours. garda no show. party went on till dark and possibly went on inside then.

While I'm against ratting out neighbours these people were taking the piss.

But if the gardai do nothing against such a massive violation then whats the point in chasing down some random Dublin couple who sneaked off to their holiday home?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Oh but it's like a police state. I mean, the intention, outcome and all other meaningful consequences are different to a police state, but it looks a bit like a police state, so it's a police state.

Well there we are. The auld Stasi will be around shortly to brutally knock on your door, menacingly ask you to consider the health and well-being of your neighbors and, in a very sinister and deliberate fashion, tell you good luck now all the best.

I tell you, police state.

The same people who regularly declare that Ireland is a “3rd World country” because the SW office suggested that they might do a bit of training after 15 years on the dole are now declaring it to be a police state. I worked with a girl who grew up in Dresden before the wall came down. Her father was a bit of a free thinker and she told me what a police state is, and this ain’t it.

Yesterday evening while twitching the curtains, I saw the guy across the road from us have a friend over for dinner, two other neighbors having a long chat at a distance of about 1 foot, and our other neighbors ex-husband come to visit his kids. A couple of days ago, another neighbor had her friend over for drinks in the garden.

I wouldn't ever report any specific one of these incidents, but collectively its clear people are getting really complacent, and we may be about to squander our good progress.

It's also pretty annoying that the exact same people are on the local WhatsApp cheerleading for us all to clap for the nurses, clap for the kids, flash our lights for the whoevers and I guess this evening we'll need to do a public display for our binmen and the guy from DPD.

My kids haven't seen their friends or grandparents in person in 4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

seefin wrote: »
    If I saw someone driving erratically on a country road , I'd hope I'd ring guards and report as it's a risk to society. In a way, breaking the restrictions is no different. I have to walk to work each day, have seen cars pull into my estate as it's close by a scenic walk and families pile out to go for their 2km walk. Am tempted to report the next lot I see. A man today walked straight into me and when I asked him to stop while I stepped onto road to give 2m distance he said we're in fresh air it can't be transmitted! Are people that ignorant still out there. This kind of behaviour puts me in bad form for the day.. have met plenty like him who have no comprehension of keeping distance outdoors. Never realised how many genuinely stupid people there are out there until this

There is definitely a sense of "ah shure aren't we in a mountain/ near trees/ beside a lake and therefore transmission is not possible". It really annoys me TBH, seeing people take lots of precautions going for some food or whatever - gloves, masks, in and out and literally just grabbing what they need and going again, avoiding as many people as possible... and then coming to scenic spots and acting the maggot because the "air is clean" and they can't catch (or transmit) anything.

We are also very tempted to report any day trippers we see over the weekend, if 3 weeks ago was anything to go by!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

splinter65 wrote: »
    The same people who regularly declare that Ireland is a “3rd World country” because the SW office suggested that they might do a bit of training after 15 years on the dole are now declaring it to be a police state. I worked with a girl who grew up in Dresden before the wall came down. Her father was a bit of a free thinker and she told me what a police state is, and this ain’t it.

being stopped on the street just for walking down the street (or driving) and given 20 questions and risk being fined for the incorrect answer - is a huge overreach of state powers.
    comparing it to east germany is a stupid point we don't have to reach their levels to declare that what is happening here is wrong.

sure Leo hasn't built a re-education camp yet....therefore what are we complaining about?:rolleyes: Your point is moronic.

Very good piece on the RTE website today about Anne Frank and how she coped with isolation at such a young age. The obvious difference of course being that we are asked to isolate because we have a government who care about our welfare. Why is it so difficult for us to stay in?

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2020/0409/1129500-anne-frank-diary-isolation-confinement/

I particularly like the last part:

Her father, Otto, lived to be 91 years of age. I like to imagine her as a sprightly 90 year old, again confined, but this time by a government concerned for her welfare. Knowing the stakes, she would, I suspect, abide by the rules.

Old couple few doors down (both over 70s, he in particular pretty clapped out state of health) had a garden full of grandkids yesterday,

Like just stupidity.

We are all undergoing major sacrifices, wfh if we are lucky, losing our jobs if not, and playing by the rules. Just PRIMARILY to safeguard the health of the like of these old codgers.Yes i Know younger people die too, but it is primarily the old and those in bad health.

Based on what others have said calling the guards is useless, they wont be out in time.

I wonder will we look back in years to come when we and our kids are all still paying for this lockdown, and consider if we should have gone with the herd immunity strategy? So those like my father who are sensible, will stay indoors and idiots like my neighbours will get their comeuppance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

We are just about to turn into East Germany, reporting our neighbours to the authorities because of what we think they are doing.

Maybe your neighbours don't leave the house otherwise OP.

Maybe their visitors only leave their house to visit them.

Little chance of spread if that is the case.

I'm all for isolating my own family and abiding by the restrictions but I'm not going to call the Gardai just because I think someone else is not.

Fvckin this!

Growing up, I'd have wondered at how the Stasi etc could possibly operate, but over the last while the brainwashing going on here, and how it's working is just phenomenal.

Fair play to the lads driving it, if they can keep it going for another while, they'll have a very compliant society left to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Fvckin this!

Growing up, I'd have wondered at how the Stasi etc could possibly operate, but over the last while the brainwashing going on here, and how it's working is just phenomenal.

Fair play to the lads driving it, if they can keep it going for another while, they'll have a very compliant society left to deal with.

Is there another reason apart from ultimately preventing deaths, that they want us to stay home for?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,129 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Fvckin this!

You go girl!

Keep fighting the evil oppressors.

Bring down that evil empire by inviting over a few friends and buying a slab of dutch gold

For what died the sons of Roisin

hurikane wrote: »
    Is there another reason apart from ultimately preventing deaths, that they want us to stay home for?

No.

Fvckin this!

If you want to fight the power, go out and throw a brick at a guard and burn a bin. Do for real or sit down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Fvckin this!

You and people like you (conspiracy theorist nutcases) will be on the wrong side of history and you will be remembered. Its also because of people like you that we (normal people with functioning brains) will have to stay isolated for longer.

You folks should go back to talking about flat earth and tinfoil hats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

If you want to fight the power, go out and throw a brick at a guard and burn a bin. Do for real or sit down.

Bin is on fire but I can't find a guard. Will a fireman do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

empathy is giving up your freedom

It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen

Yester wrote: »
    Bin is on fire but I can't find a guard. Will a fireman do?

See now, you're an efficient insurgent. I always overthink it. I would absolutely suck at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

OP its very simple,

if your estate is mild middle-class call the guards

if your estate is rough working-class keep shtoom

fryup wrote: »
    OP its very simple,

if your estate is mild middle-class call the guards

if your estate is rough working-class keep shtoom

What if you're working-class but you have notions?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

working-class people don't have notions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

splinter65 wrote: »
    Lover boy was out cutting the grass yesterday evening. General holiday atmosphere about them.

What's wrong with cutting the grass?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Does lycra prevent the spread of the coronavirus? Is there something special about it, like a superman suit or something? If not, piss off cyclists.

You’ve no good reason to be out in the Wicklow mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

hurikane wrote: »
    Does lycra prevent the spread of the coronavirus? Is there something special about it, like a superman suit or something? If not, piss off cyclists.

You’ve no good reason to be out in the Wicklow mountains.

Unless it's within their 2 km radius ;)
    Otherwise they have no reason to be there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

You and people like you (conspiracy theorist nutcases) will be on the wrong side of history and you will be remembered. Its also because of people like you that we (normal people with functioning brains) will have to stay isolated for longer.

You folks should go back to talking about flat earth and tinfoil hats.

And here we have the lockdown lovers threatening people with a different view on the situation then them. Wonderful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Unless it's within their 2 km radius ;)
    Otherwise they have no reason to be there

Terrible the amount of people youd infect doing 30kmh on a bike through the wilderness of the Wicklow mountains. I mean, never mind the fact that a respiratory illness would likely mean you could turn the pedals over.

Advertisement