Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call the Guards or no?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

There are many things unimaginably worse than having an air of tension with your neighbours.

If they're selfish and arrogant enough to flout these basic rules in a time of unprecedented crisis, then they're likely the kind of neighbours someone would fall out with inevitably anyway. Would it be better to do it over trimming the hedge or a disputed extension?

As you say, we have local feuds a lot in Ireland, but at least this would have a point to it.

Equating a dispute over hedge trimming and going Stasi on yer neighbours, is a bit, well, stupid.

statto25 wrote: »
    During the course of this I've listened to as much talk radio as I can to get public opinion and it seems to be the fashion to fire in lycra clad coronavirus carriers and huffing and puffing spewing joggers as much as possible and its tiresome. I could start a rant here on kids in groups, church doors still being open, people in filling stations counting the change in your pocket they are so close the list is endless. Societal cop on is what will get us out the other side by washing hands, keeping distance, staying at home as much as possible but especially if you are sick, are in direct contact with vulnerable or if you cannot deal with the fact that people are not out to infect you. If you are that scared stay inside until this all blows over. Not the other way around which is how some people want it

Exactly, Mick Smoker, 48, never ran in his life other than to catch the 7a to the pub, and maybe to the chipper on his way home before the doors close, crying and wailing on here and to anyone that will listen that the a healthy cyclist is endangering his health. Laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Equating a dispute over hedge trimming and going Stasi on yer neighbours, is a bit, well, stupid.

I would argue that anyone on here mentioning East Germany or talking about "going Stasi" over some temporary powers given to the Gardaí in order to protect people is a bit, well, stupid.
    Exactly, Mick Smoker, 48, never ran in his life other than to catch the 7a to the pub, and maybe to the chipper on his way home before the doors close, crying and wailing on here and to anyone that will listen that the a healthy cyclist is endangering his health. Laughable.

So now its sweeping generalisations as well as incorrect information. Hopefully you're in the minority. I would suggest reading the below post again. Its not very long but it is factual.
    hurikane wrote: »
    You lost this argument a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

So now its sweeping generalisations as well as incorrect information. Hopefully you're in the minority. I would suggest reading the below post again. Its not very long but it is factual.

The sweeping generalisations are coming from all sides of the argument so get down from your high horse.

The sweeping generalisations are coming from all sides of the argument so get down from your high horse.

Must have hit a nerve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

They aren't but some people seem to believe that cyclists and runners are spewing the virus purposely like a fast moving human pandemic firing machine.

They literally are spewing it everywhere as they move.

They can piss off, obnoxious morons that couldn’t care less about anyone else. Sure why would the rules apply to them.

“cycling and running slipstream is big risk for Covid19 spread”

“New research by Dutch and Belgian scientists has concluded cyclists and runners should stay much further apart than the two metres generally recommended to stem the spread of Covid19.”

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-n...ovid19-spread/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭noddy69

Rackstar wrote: »
    They literally are spewing it everywhere as they move.

They can piss off, obnoxious morons that couldn’t care less about anyone else. Sure why would the rules apply to them.

“cycling and running slipstream is big risk for Covid19 spread”

“New research by Dutch and Belgian scientists has concluded cyclists and runners should stay much further apart than the two metres generally recommended to stem the spread of Covid19.”

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-n...ovid19-spread/

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a32097735/coronavirus-viral-simulation/

Already debunked....too much rubbish being spouted as fact

noddy69 wrote: »

And where was the falseness of it shown in what you linked?

http://www.urbanphysics.net/Social%20Distancing%20v20_White_Paper.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Just reading the news online about extending lockdown til 5th May. Bit deflated. 5 lads just rock into next door with bags of cans and shades on. Someone inside whooping when they arrived. Don't think it's a carer arriving with essential supplies. Not going to rat them out but I'm sending them bad karma through the window of my prison as my kid is screaming for his 55th snack of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭noddy69

Rackstar wrote: »
    And where was the falseness of it shown in what you linked?

http://www.urbanphysics.net/Social%20Distancing%20v20_White_Paper.pdf

Its a white paper and only a concept. It's been taken as fact. Maybe debunked is the wrong word, but if you understood what a white paper is then you wouldn't share it as fact.

• Advertisement

Its a white paper and only a concept. It's been taken as fact. Maybe debunked is the wrong word, but if you understood what a white paper is then you wouldn't share it as fact.

Maybe if you understood that you’ve shared nothing to debunk it, then you would understand that a white paper holds more value than your random post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

You should probably read what you post.... no where was it debunked in this article.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

maxsmum wrote: »
    Just reading the news online about extending lockdown til 5th May. Bit deflated. 5 lads just rock into next door with bags of cans and shades on. Someone inside whooping when they arrived. Don't think it's a carer arriving with essential supplies. Not going to rat them out but I'm sending them bad karma through the window of my prison as my kid is screaming for his 55th snack of the day.

Yeah I've scrotey neighbours flouting the rules as well, I'm away from their BS most of the time because of work, but because I'm working from home I've to put up with it now for another 4 weeks :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Yeah I've scrotey neighbours flouting the rules as well, I'm away from their BS most of the time because of work, but because I'm working from home I've to put up with it now for another 4 weeks :(

Report lads. People's lives could be lost and that's a reality.

Could be the same gob****e getting infected tonight rubbing his virus filled mucus all over a shopping trolly in a few days or infecting his whole workplace and someone vulnerable getting it and dying.

You are just as responsible if you do not report.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

Clearly the powers that be want the people turning on each other rather than on the establishment. Seems to be working out well for them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Clearly the powers that be want the people turning on each other rather than on the establishment. Seems to be working out well for them..

Childish post :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

Report lads. People's lives could be lost and that's a reality.

Could be the same gob****e getting infected tonight rubbing his virus filled mucus all over a shopping trolly in a few days or infecting his whole workplace and someone vulnerable getting it and dying.

You are just as responsible if you do not report.

A fair few of my neighbours are "known to the Gardai" If I was caught reporting myself and my family would be in danger, can't take the risk no matter how much I'd like to.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,058 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

maxsmum wrote: »

OP
    Did you seriously expect the restrictions to be reduced in the coming weeks ?

Did you report the neighbours yet ?

The overwhelming opinion on here is that you should and you came here asking if you should or not.

One or two people visiting a house, I've no real issue with, bit what you described sounds like a bit of a party, I'd report.

On and nice one throwing in the line in at the end about how you are struggling with the restrictions, honestly no one gives a f**k, we are all challenged in different ways due to the circumstances of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,058 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I would argue that anyone on here mentioning East Germany or talking about "going Stasi" over some temporary powers given to the Gardan order to protect people is a bit, well, stupid.

I was the first to mention East Germany on this thread.
    I'll admit to that.

But you have the context all wrong, I was not talking about the powers the authorities have, I was talking about the mentality of people reporting other people because of what they see them doing or what they think they will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

OP
    Did you seriously expect the restrictions to be reduced in the coming weeks ?

Did you report the neighbours yet ?

The overwhelming opinion on here is that you should and you came here asking if you should or not.

One or two people visiting a house, I've no real issue with, bit what you described sounds like a bit of a party, I'd report.

On and nice one throwing in the line in at the end about how you are struggling with the restrictions, honestly no one gives a f**k, we are all challenged in different ways due to the circumstances of this.

I started the thread to ask what others will do as I presume i'm not the only one in this situation. I've been clear from post 1 that I won't report. Others have said they will. Others have said they wouldn't. It's generated conversation. I'm don't think I've given the impression I'm the only one struggling with the restrictions, as others have said similar. Thanks for your opinion anyway. I am sure if nobody gives a f**k about the issue, a mod will close the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

During the course of this I've listened to as much talk radio as I can to get public opinion and it seems to be the fashion to fire in lycra clad coronavirus carriers and huffing and puffing spewing joggers as much as possible and its tiresome. I could start a rant here on kids in groups, church doors still being open, people in filling stations counting the change in your pocket they are so close the list is endless. Societal cop on is what will get us out the other side by washing hands, keeping distance, staying at home as much as possible but especially if you are sick, are in direct contact with vulnerable or if you cannot deal with the fact that people are not out to infect you. If you are that scared stay inside until this all blows over. Not the other way around which is how some people want it
    I have never seen so many contradictory sentences in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Just abide by the rules and you’ll be fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭Ohio9

I'm reporting everyone I suspect of making non essential journeys. The other day I've seen my neighbour in a shop, he bought some alcohol drinks and other non essential household items. I used my sleight of hand to take a picture and have it in my phone. I called the guards as soon as I left the shop. I'll be going to make an official statement next week at the garda station.

Stopping non essential journeys saves lives. Keep that in mind. We're all in this together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Ohio9 wrote: »
    I'm reporting everyone I suspect of making non essential journeys. The other day I've seen my neighbour in a shop, he bought some alcohol drinks and other non essential household items. I used my sleight of hand to take a picture and have it in my phone. I called the guards as soon as I left the shop. I'll be going to make an official statement next week at the garda station.

Stopping non essential journeys saves lives. Keep that in mind. We're all in this together.

Every one you Suspec??
    GARDA are going to love you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

maybe they're swingers OP and don't go near anyone else but themselves. Swinging polygamists or something

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

Maybe he needs the alcohol to stay alive? What other non essentials did he buy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Your journey to the garda station might not be deemed essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

I live in a place where there is a GP who lets her kids go out an play with 15 other kids all day. I knew she was a cnut before this but now it's certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WashYourHands

As far as I can see Gardai aren't doing anything. Loads of people out sunbathing today..

• Advertisement

rom wrote: »
    I live in a place where there is a GP who lets her kids go out an play with 15 other kids all day. I knew she was a cnut before this but now it's certain.

Raises the question of which medical professionals are most trustworthy and why.

Advertisement