Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call the Guards or no?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

endacl wrote: »
    I’ve a more straightforward one. Apartment block over my back wall. A muppet is out in his balcony giving haircuts to a stream of fellas all morning and afternoon.

Can you soak him with your garden hose?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

endacl wrote: »
    Y'know, I get what you're saying. On the other hand, As I've been here over the last few hours he's had 5 up there lads getting their hair cut. He had started by 10 this morning. No gloves, no mask, no handwashing or scissors washing between jobs. Each of those lads is going back to a family. Six that I saw. Plenty more in between presumably.

So why don't you call the cops?

Is it a really rough area?

I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

BarryD2 wrote: »
    A €2.5K fine will soon soften his cough and dent his profit margin...

I love this saying - ‘soften his cough’. I would like to be there when his cough gets softened. That’d learn him. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

statto25 wrote: »
    I asked a question to the poster, I dont recall asking you?

We have a live one here folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

OK so if they were on their own and as you have said, you live in a very rural setting...Why would you feel there is a necessity to call the Gardai? You mention them spewing Covid-19, how were they doing this? Before you ask, yes I am a cyclist.

Why should the 2 km rule not apply to cyclists. These rules are not ambiguous and not open to interpretation.
    These restrictions only work with full co operation of the public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

OK so if they were on their own and as you have said, you live in a very rural setting...Why would you feel there is a necessity to call the Gardai? You mention them spewing Covid-19, how were they doing this? Before you ask, yes I am a cyclist.

Spewing it straight out their mouths. Being a cyclist is irrelevant, everyone is supposed to stay at home. These people aren’t my neighbours, they aren’t following the guidelines, that’s why I’d report them. I don’t want them bringing the virus here. I don’t want paramedics to have to come deal with them when they fall and I don’t want them taking up space in hospital with their broken bones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭statto25

BanditLuke wrote: »
    We have a live one here folks.

What is that supposed to mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Are some really doing the whole 'don't be a snitch' thing as if they're in some sort of street gang? The inevitable 'police state' over exaggeration rubbish usually follows too. If some people are blatantly flouting the laws that have been put in place to protect my family and everyone else's, I wouldn't hesitate to report them. I'd take my life and other peoples over being some sort 'can't hold me down' rebel any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Pkiernan wrote: »
    So why don't you call the cops?

Is it a really rough area?

I

Not in the least. Well, that estate is where the developer dumped all his 'integrated social housing' obligation, but they cause no trouble over here. Call sent.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Drew says yes

...and I'm a cyclist, but there should be no exceptions for anyone beyond those laid out

The worst possible thing is to give the impression that one part of society is being favoured at this time. The only people that should get any exemptions are those working on the front line, or deemed essential. A bike ride is not essential.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    Are some really doing the whole 'don't be a snitch' thing as if they're in some sort of street gang? The inevitable 'police state' over exaggeration rubbish usually follows too. If some people are blatantly flouting the laws that have been put in place to protect my family and everyone else's, I wouldn't hesitate to report them. I'd take my life and other peoples over being some sort 'can't hold me down' rebel any day.

If people are blatantly take the piss like yer man doing the haircuts then they need to be reported but on the other hand the cyclist on his own doesn't need reporting as long as they are cautious to pedestrians and don't engage with folks.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If people are blatantly take the piss like yer man doing the haircuts then they need to be reported but on the other hand the cyclist on his own doesn't need reporting as long as they are cautious to pedestrians and don't engage with folks.
    Don't complain if you get stopped and told to go home. I have little doubt the Guards will be asking where you live if you are stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ciara1052

I was going to make a new thread but figured I'd piggyback on this one. Should coffee shops still be open ? There's one still open down the road from me and there's clearly teenagers meeting up/friends not from the same family getting coffees to go and sitting around outside (absolutely not 2m apart).

Fair enough if it's just one person at a time (and i know coffee shops are definitely struggling right now) but it definitely isn't and there's doesn't seem to be any effort to disperse people from the front of the shop

Beasty wrote: »
    Don't complain if you get stopped and told to go home. I have little doubt the Guards will be asking where you live if you are stopped

I actually haven't been out at all. IF I did go out I would answer the questions asked truthfully and take my medicine if required.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

ciara1052 wrote: »
    I was going to make a new thread but figured I'd piggyback on this one. Should coffee shops still be open ? There's one still open down the road from me and there's clearly teenagers meeting up/friends not from the same family getting coffees to go and sitting around outside (absolutely not 2m apart).

Fair enough if it's just one person at a time (and i know coffee shops are definitely struggling right now) but it definitely isn't and there's doesn't seem to be any effort to disperse people from the front of the shop

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Beasty wrote: »
    Drew says yes

...and I'm a cyclist, but there should be no exceptions for anyone beyond those laid out

The worst possible thing is to give the impression that one part of society is being favoured at this time. The only people that should get any exemptions are those working on the front line, or deemed essential. A bike ride is not essential.
    Essential or not, a 10/15/20km spin is more than possible within a 2km radius of home.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

This statement proves that people just don't understand - or won't understand - why the rules have been put in place.

It's a lot more complex then not just engaging with people while you are out on your "essential" cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭tintin67

The boardwalk in Dublin city centre is absolutely full of the usual gangs of junkies and dipsos swilling cans with their shirts off. The quays coming down with junkies congregating and roaring and shouting and not a guard to be seen. Is this crackdown going to be a bit like the Luas ticket inspector situation where they ignore the difficult cases and concentrate on hassling the nice people and easy targets?

Hyzepher wrote: »
    This statement proves that people just don't understand - or won't understand - why the rules have been put in place.

It's a lot more complex then not just engaging with people while you are out on your "essential" cycle

Explain it to me then please as I don't seem to understand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

tintin67 wrote: »
    The boardwalk in Dublin city centre is absolutely full of the usual gangs of junkies and dipsos swilling cans with their shirts off. The quays coming down with junkies congregating and roaring and shouting and not a guard to be seen. Is this crackdown going to be a bit like the Luas ticket inspector situation where they ignore the difficult cases and concentrate on hassling the nice people and easy targets?

If they let them do their thing short of harming anyone Garda resources can be focused on higher priorities. Asking animals like that to behave is a waste of them so you'd have to force them.

If they arrest them and some are infected then infection will spread in jails and prisons, possibly necessitating releases for safety, not to mention put Gardaí out of duty if they get suspected or real infection.

• Advertisement

Explain it to me then please as I don't seem to understand

The regulations signed by Minister Harris specify that a person cannot leave their home without a reasonable excuse. Exercise beyond 2km is not one

These restrictions end Sunday night

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

Corholio wrote: »

Depends on the area, where I'm from it's taboo to even say hello to a Gardai, so I can't see many upholding their civic duty and reporting people flouting the restrictions, the same people will turn around and blame the Authorities if one of their family dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

The regulations signed by Minister Harris specify that a person cannot leave their home without a reasonable excuse. Exercise beyond 2km is not one

Hopefully they will be extended, as the Gardaí clearly require them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

You should head down there and tell all the junckies to cop on and grow up, I am sure they are well aware of the social distancing guidelines. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Cork_Langer1

Where is this legislation? The health Harris signed?

If fines are issued they won't be paid, if they start arresting people, stations will be full in a hour.

Scare tactics.

I understand the restrictions while also understanding that exercise is not essential or a reasonable excuse. You stated that it was far more complex so I am trying to understand the complexities of it. I responded in this thread to the poster who stated that the cyclist in question was spewing Covid-19 in a very rural area. While the cyclist is breaking the current legislation in place until Sunday night, I am merely wondering how they were spreading the virus.

I understand the restrictions while also understanding that exercise is not essential or a reasonable excuse. You stated that it was far more complex so I am trying to understand the complexities of it. I responded in this thread to the poster who stated that the cyclist in question was spewing Covid-19 in a very rural area. While the cyclist is breaking the current legislation in place until Sunday night, I am merely wondering how they were spreading the virus.

It's not just about whether or not they are spreading the virus, it's about adhering to rules/guidelines that experts have taken the time to introduce in order to try and beat this virus.

A 5k cycle here, a trip to Granny for Easter there and before you know it the virus keeps on spreading.

Everyone at home = nowhere for the virus to spread = end of new cases

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I know of a neighbour who was all over the local facebox pages pontificating about the groups of people congregating and how wrong it was and they need to cop on.
    Fast forward a few days and her mam is in hospital with CV. Turns out she had been hooking up daily with her mum for get togethers with the grandkids and to go for walks together etc.
    Then the neighbour herself is struck down with Confirmed CV and the hubby not feeling well.

Stupid is, stupid does

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Billhook

Seve OB wrote: »
    I know of a neighbour who was all over the local facebox pages pontificating about the groups of people congregating and how wrong it was and they need to cop on.
    Fast forward a few days and her mam is in hospital with CV. Turns out she had been hooking up daily with her mum for get togethers with the grandkids and to go for walks together etc.
    Then the neighbour herself is struck down with Confirmed CV and the hubby not feeling well.

Stupid is, stupid does

Absolutely that's why I'm suspicious of people who are twitching curtains and spying on their neighbours.

A bit like your man in work, telling people now and again he'd never be the type to go running with tales to management and the best way to get along is mind your own business.

Its nearly always a deflection.

Another stupid thing is going on an Internet forum seeking advice on whether you should, would or wouldn't.

Advertisement