Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call the Guards or no?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

As far as I can see Gardai aren't doing anything. Loads of people out sunbathing today..

Lots of them up our way. Where we live you'd be lucky to see them twice a year. Have seen 3 or 4 cars per day since the restrictions were announced.

Not a sinner here otherwise. The peace and quiet reminds me of what it was like twenty years ago, before nearby areas got so built up and people started using the road as a rat run for their morning and evening commutes. I can't get over how loud the birdsong seems to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,128 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

As far as I can see Gardai aren't doing anything. Loads of people out sunbathing today..

Any hotties?

What kind of camouflage would you recommend? Or does it differ depending on the type of bushes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭wandererz

Like this guy.

Charge him. Send him to court and let him pay his dues either in prison or in fines.

Even better if he gets to be brought before a jury of his peers at some point who can judge him.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/garda-rescues-man-swimming-wexford-21855649.amp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 MaureensFry

Always going to be people that deserve a darwin award.

This stuff is minor compared to what happens in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Ohio9 wrote: »
    I'm reporting everyone I suspect of making non essential journeys. The other day I've seen my neighbour in a shop, he bought some alcohol drinks and other non essential household items. I used my sleight of hand to take a picture and have it in my phone. I called the guards as soon as I left the shop. I'll be going to make an official statement next week at the garda station.

Stopping non essential journeys saves lives. Keep that in mind. We're all in this together.

Self appointed informer,stop wasting police time and get a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

SNNUS wrote: »
    Self appointed informer,stop wasting police time and get a life.

A charge of wasting police time is still a strong possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I'm reporting everyone I suspect of making non essential journeys. The other day I've seen my neighbour in a shop, he bought some alcohol drinks and other non essential household items. I used my sleight of hand to take a picture and have it in my phone. I called the guards as soon as I left the shop. I'll be going to make an official statement next week at the garda station.

Stopping non essential journeys saves lives. Keep that in mind. We're all in this together.

You really are in an insufferable Busy body if true. I hope those you “told on” find out who you are and it’s remembered long after this.
    Who the hell are you to decide what someone buys is essential is it or not? Ireland 2020 and sone people have reduced themselves to this level of idiocy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

road_high wrote: »
    You really are in an insufferable Busy body if true. I hope those you “told on” find out who you are and it’s remembered long after this.
    Who the hell are you to decide what someone buys is essential is it or not? Ireland 2020 and sone people have reduced themselves to this level of idiocy

Yeah, even Leo said in his wee speech that he didn't want the nation turning into the valley of squinting windows. Nor do I. Looks ike they're still amongst us.

• Advertisement

Yeah, even Leo said in his wee speech that he didn't want the nation turning into the valley of squinting windows. Nor do I. Looks ike they're still amongst us.

Big time. The extra Garda powers were a mistake in my view, and have unleashed a rather distasteful element of 1.) Busybodies telling tales and 2.) OTT levels of policing on a level I've never witnessed in my 30+ years living here.

I don't see the necessity to check people's car boots for groceries on roads that are virtually empty. Some people view this as necessary and I respect their POV but I just don't agree with it, it's a step too far and harms the credibility of the Gardai going forward.

Well unfortunately that's what's happening to some extent. Drew Harris came from the RUC where this kind of thing was "normality". I don't think it fits with the more community based policing model that has always worked here.

Big time. The extra Garda powers were a mistake in my view, and have unleashed a rather distasteful element of 1.) Busybodies telling tales and 2.) OTT levels of policing on a level I've never witnessed in my 30+ years living here.

I don't see the necessity to check people's car boots for groceries on roads that are virtually empty. Some people view this as necessary and I respect their POV but I just don't agree with it, it's a step too far and harms the credibility of the Gardai going forward.

So what system would you propose?

That, if stopped by a Guard, a person who is somewhere where they should not be, only has to say "going for a loaf of bread" and there is nothing that could be done or questioned about that? Even if 100 miles from home?

Those types of rules and powers are not there for reasonable people. They are there for the arseholes who would happily piss on, and cancel out, the efforts of the majority.

If people act like children, they have to be treated like children

• Registered Users Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

So what system would you propose?

That, if stopped by a Guard, a person who is somewhere where they should not be, only has to say "going for a loaf of bread" and there is nothing that could be done or questioned about that? Even if 100 miles from home?

Those types of rules and powers are not there for reasonable people. They are there for the arseholes who would happily piss on, and cancel out, the efforts of the majority.

If people act like children, they have to be treated like children

I have a friend from rural Leitrim, who was calling down to his elderly parents last week, who live a pound 5 miles from him.
    He was stopped, no problem, but when he explained what he was doing/where he was going, got an earful front the guard about travelling outside the 2km, did he have to travel, did he not know about the restrictions.... Really laid into him and was very heavy handed I believe.
    My mate told him (quite rightly) to butt out, that he was the only person around to check on his parents, and if he had a problem write him up.
    Complete lack of empathy and understanding from the Garda, acted like an ass hole with his big autocratic head on him, seemed to enjoy throwing his weight around!
    Not a way to win friends and achieve but in from the community.

I have a friend from rural Leitrim, who was calling down to his elderly parents last week, who live a pound 5 miles from him.
    He was stopped, no problem, but when he explained what he was doing/where he was going, got an earful front the guard about travelling outside the 2km, did he have to travel, did he not know about the restrictions.... Really laid into him and was very heavy handed I believe.
    My mate told him (quite rightly) to butt out, that he was the only person around to check on his parents, and if he had a problem write him up.
    Complete lack of empathy and understanding from the Garda, acted like an ass hole with his big autocratic head on him, seemed to enjoy throwing his weight around!

Ah yeah. Sure everyone thinks they are special and that the rules shouldn't apply to them. It'd be great if everyone else had to follow them and just me didn't have to.

Your "mate" is spoofing you.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

I have a mate who's cousin is a Garda. He's normally on the beat in the local town but has been pulled in on traffic duty. Said the amount of stick he gets for stopping people is unreal. He asks where people are traveling to and from, and for what reason, all in a completely civil and reasonable manner, just trying to do his job and protect people. But the response he's been getting is disgusting. People behaving like complete assholes. He's based in Liath Dhroim. Said he can't wait for this to end but he's worried people are behaving so stupidly that it's just prolonging it.

I have a mate who's cousin is a Garda. He's normally on the beat in the local town but has been pulled in on traffic duty. Said the amount of stick he gets for stopping people is unreal. He asks where people are traveling to and from, and for what reason, all in a completely civil and reasonable manner, just trying to do his job and protect people. But the response he's been getting is disgusting. People behaving like complete assholes. He's based in Liath Dhroim. Said he can't wait for this to end but he's worried people are behaving so stupidly that it's just prolonging it.

Plenty of self-important arseholes. "Do you not know who I am. How dare you ask stop to ask me a question on where I am going. The rules are only for other people because I'm special" wankers.

Like your man's buddy in the story above. He must be one tough fucker. After the Guard stopped him and was heavy handed with him, he put the Guard in his place and continued along his merry way. And the Guard knew better than to try to stop him!!! Because as we all know, if ya meet a heavy handed guard, the only way to deal with it is to give him a bit of lip and put him in his place by telling him you aren't going to follow his directions. It usually works out well.
    I'd reckon sure that once the Guard realised who he was dealing with, he must have felt so sorry for being "heavy handed" at the start. He's probably still whimpering at the side of the road, crying with worry after making such a mistake.

I really don't know if it makes a difference at all calling the guards.

My neighbour was on the "inside the K" show. You can see where they blew out the locks in the door.

Then, Last week I had to call the guards again because he beat up his girlfriend & she was distressed.
    She was beaten, freezing & distressed outside our home at 1am in the middle of the CoVid-19 lockdown.
    But she was more concerned that he would kill himself

My wife wanted to go out & help her. I had to stop her, which led to local, in-house arguments.

We provided fleeced hoodies, pajamas & shoes.

The guards arrived again and who knows what happened.
    Then this past weekend, the guards were there again.

I feel sorry for the girlfriend but also totally fed up with this ahole who is taking up precious resources at a time when we cannot afford it.

Seriously, ambulances and 4+ Garda vehicles at a time.

Personally, at this stage I feel he's just taking the mickey.
    He should be placed into a psychiatric hospital ASAP.

At the end of the day, if I call the Gards I expect significant action to be taken, not simply pandering about.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

wandererz wrote: »
    I really don't know if it makes a difference at all calling the guards.

My neighbour was on the "inside the K" show. You can see where they blew out the locks in the door.

Then, Last week I had to call the guards again because he beat up his girlfriend & she was distressed.
    She was beaten, freezing & distressed outside our home at 1am in the middle of the CoVid-19 lockdown.
    But she was more concerned that he would kill himself

My wife wanted to go out & help her. I had to stop her, which led to local, in-house arguments.

The guards arrived again and who knows what happened.
    Then this past weekend, the guards were there again.

I feel sorry for the girlfriend but also totally fed up with this ahole who is taking up precious resources at a time when we cannot afford it.

Seriously, ambulances and 4+ Garda vehicles at a time.

Personally, at this stage I feel he's just taking the mickey.
    He should be placed into a psychiatric hospital ASAP.

At the end of the day, if I call the Gards I expect significant action to be taken, not simply pandering about.

It's not a mental health issue, it's cocaine, steroids and no concept of personal responsibility or consideration for other human beings.

Can see this being a rather damaging episode for the Gardai once this blows over. They don't seem to even understand the rules themselves.
    Heard another one of people from a smaller town about 20 km from a bigger town being turned around as they were told it wasn't necessary as there's a Super Valu in their small town (think they wanted to go to Tesco or Lidl in the bigger one for more choice etc).
    Now, is that reasonable use of police power and resources or OTT nit picking for that sake of it?
    The reality is this country is going through an economic shock hardly seen before. And here the state is wasting millions on this kind of crap checking car boots.

BTW I think your friend needs to make a complaint to GSOC about this. No doubt it'll one of many once this episode is over.

• Advertisement

Yeah, that's not how that conversation went.

"Write him up", there's no on the spot fine. You get arrested

Can see this being a rather damaging episode for the Gardai once this blows over. They don't seem to even understand the rules themselves.
    Heard another one of people from a smaller town about 20 km from a bigger town being turned around as they were told it wasn't necessary as there's a Super Valu in their small town (think they wanted to go to Tesco or Lidl in the bigger one for more choice etc).
    Now, is that reasonable use of police power and resources or OTT nit picking for that sake of it?
    The reality is this country is going through an economic shock hardly seen before. And here the state is wasting millions on this kind of crap checking car boots.

BTW I think your friend needs to make a complaint to GSOC about this. No doubt it'll one of many once this episode is over.

I completely agree. You should be allowed drive past as many shops as you want to go shopping and stop for a nice walk on the beach before coming back. Pop into a few mates maybe as well? Just to check in.

Curious to know what the complaint to gsoc would be, the Gardai we're enforcing the law but DIDN'T arrest me?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I really hope this is a wind up.

This crisis has brought out a lot of good in people. It's also brought out a lot of me-feinism. And I don't just mean the people who've flouted restrictions. I mean the people you can see posting who are panicking at what other people are doing under the guise of "it's putting other people at risk". What that really translates into is "people like that are potentially putting me in danger and I'm looking out for number 1."

A different type of selfishness but selfishness nonetheless in many cases.

In fairness, what kind of an arsehole travels 20km during a lockdown when they have a perfectly good supermarket in their own town? It's because of arseholes like that that restrictions are needed.

I saw a story a while back about the UK police having stopped a man with kids in the car who tried to say he was going on a 120mile trip to London to buy some bread.

No point making a complain over something that didn't happen.

wandererz wrote: »

Well for starters, it's Gardai or Guards.

What 'significant' action would you like? What exactly is your allegation? Are you making a statement of complaint about something? Should you be arrested when someone makes an anonymous 999 call to your house?

Gardai operate within the law. Have you seen the amount of people in this thread moaning and taking about gsoc complaints? And that's where the Gardai didn't do anything wrong

I completely agree. You should be allowed drive past as many shops as you want to go shopping and stop for a nice walk on the beach before coming back. Pop into a few mates maybe as well? Just to check in.

Curious to know what the complaint to gsoc would be, the Gardai we're enforcing the law but DIDN'T arrest me?!?

Who said anything about the people doing any of that? I outlined clearly where they were going and the reason for it. Did you not understand what I wrote?

Point out the Law where you are not permitted to drive over 2 km for shopping or delivery groceries to elderly people? Sooner this nonsense is over the better

In fairness, what kind of an arsehole travels 20km during a lockdown when they have a perfectly good supermarket in their own town? It's because of arseholes like that that restrictions are needed.

I saw a story a while back about the UK police having stopped a man with kids in the car who tried to say he was going on a 120mile trip to London to buy some bread.

No point making a complain over something that didn't happen.

It's not actually- it's expensive with a poor range of goods. There's nothing in the regs I'm aware of to stop people going for groceries if necessary. Despite the confines the little Hitlers would like to force people to stay within to satisfy their own wharped little need to control others.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,876 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You could have someone going to the shop, buying a load of snacks and a tray of beer... under that what you cannot see might be a packet of steaks, bag of sausages, veg, some bread etc... all essentials.

Nothing wrong with going to the shops, picking up the necessary items and saying... “ hey, let’s get a few beers too, a bottle of wine, Pringle’s, dip, four four two magazine, chocolate etc...

It's not actually- it's expensive with a poor range of goods. There's nothing in the regs I'm aware of to stop people going for groceries if necessary. Despite the confines the little Hitlers would like to force people to stay within to satisfy their own wharped little need to control others.

You go girl. Fight the power!

Nobody can stop me from leaving my D4 gaff for the weekend and heading down to my country house in Connemara. I mean, well there is a travel restriction but sure Mary's shop in Connemara sells the nicest bread and sure I need to go down there to buy it.
    I'll just explain that to any of the attempted Nazi roadblocks on the way. I'll show those Hitlers!!!

Because I'm special like. And a full-time-mad bastard who doesn't follow rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Sono Topolino

Off-licenses should be closed and supermarkets should be forbidden from selling alcohol to people unless those people are also buying essential household items and alcohol is less than 1/3 of the total purchase.

Whenever you're in the supermarket, there's loads of fellahs in tracksuits who go and buy loads of beer and snacks and get drunk, sometimes at home and sometimes in local parks. They're spreading the virus and damaging their health.

Besides, Alcohol can operate home delivery like every other non-essential service.

Advertisement