Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call the Guards or no?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭tintin67

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    You should head down there and tell all the junckies to cop on and grow up, I am sure they are well aware of the social distancing guidelines. :rolleyes:

I actually have told some of them to get the eff away from me in the last few days when they came up doing their usual cr*p of looking for spare change. They've all looked a bit shocked but took it surprisingly well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Depends on the area, where I'm from it's taboo to even say hello to a Gardai, so I can't see many upholding their civic duty and reporting people flouting the restrictions, the same people will turn around and blame the Authorities if one of their family dies.
    if i informed on any of my neighbours who are ignoring the guidelines, i would put my household in immediate and real danger. these are the self same people who are completely dependant on the state for almost every aspect of their lives and the gardai won't bother accosting when seen out in groups or congregating and drinking in eachother's homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

Hyzepher wrote: »
    It's not just about whether or not they are spreading the virus, it's about adhering to rules/guidelines that experts have taken the time to introduce in order to try and beat this virus.

A 5k cycle here, a trip to Granny for Easter there and before you know it the virus keeps on spreading.

Everyone at home = nowhere for the virus to spread = end of new cases

I do understand Hyzepher my beef isnt with you, it was the "spewing" comment from the poster that pushed my buttons. Bar the cyclist spitting or blowing snot all over the place, as long as their interactions were zero then their ability to spew/spread is very limited. Breaking the law in terms of the 2km radius is a different matter and one Im not even contesting.

I suppose what I am coming at is if someone breaks the 2km limit but is solo and adheres to the rules of social distancing do the Gardai really have to be called? House Parties and home barber units, Yes absolutely. Someone running or cycling solo, Yes but not needed in reality. Garda stations would need an army of phone operators in the latter case

Hyzepher wrote: »
    It's not just about whether or not they are spreading the virus, it's about adhering to rules/guidelines that experts have taken the time to introduce in order to try and beat this virus.

A 5k cycle here, a trip to Granny for Easter there and before you know it the virus keeps on spreading.

Everyone at home = nowhere for the virus to spread = end of new cases

..............and as soon as restrictions are reduced the virus comes back! There is no cure for this, no vaccine. These lockdowns cant continue indefinitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

the gardai now have the power to enter the house and break up gatherings

Where did you read that or are you making stuff up??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

OP, sorry but comparing the sacrifices you are so bravely making to your neighbours acting like gombeens doesn’t help the post.

How bout you call over to them or call them and ask them if it was OK if YOU had people over which would open up a chat about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

OP here. Me and hubby discussing this out the back with a beer. Just us. Ha! Well we have a question that hopefully a Garda can answer in relation to private gatherings. Do they expect these kinds of calls? Do they want them? (obviously I don't mean do you want extra work, but do they want the public to alert them to breaches of the restrictions the same way we would for other public order or traffic matters etc?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭runswithascript

maxsmum wrote: »
    I've noticed neighbours having people over recently. Last night two sets had people call over with beers, sitting out and enjoying the evening sun. I have a kid out of school and two of us trying to juggle work at home around this. We haven't seen anyone outside the home in nearly a month and it's causing a lot of tension at home, though we know its temporary. I also know someone who couldn't go to a family funeral or say goodbye to a grandparent dying because of the restrictions. So it really makes me annoyed to see other people flouting the restrictions because they aren't affected.
    My husband reckons now that Garda regulations are enforceable (so i understand it) we should be reporting them. I am hesitant - I feel if we are doing our bit, then we should mind our own business. I wouldn't want neighbours thinking it was us either. What do others think?

What do others think?

You are right to be annoyed, these people are scum, call the guards next time, tell them you want to be anonymous.

Do they want them? (obviously I don't mean do you want extra work, but do they want the public to alert them to breaches of the restrictions the same way we would for other public order or traffic matters etc?)

This is more serious than at least trivial public order and traffic matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

maxsmum wrote:
    OP here. Me and hubby discussing this out the back with a beer. Just us. Ha! Well we have a question that hopefully a Garda can answer in relation to private gatherings. Do they expect these kinds of calls? Do they want them? (obviously I don't mean do you want extra work, but do they want the public to alert them to breaches of the restrictions the same way we would for other public order or traffic matters etc?)

We're trying to reduce the R0 value of toys virus and reduce pressure on our health services... and ultimately deaths..... so thats an obvious YES

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Billhook

At times like this I understand why people are pissed off with people breaking the rules etc.
    But there's always going to be knobs who'll think because its them, they'll get away with it.
    If they're really acting the maggot and not adhering to the rules then they're selfish pr1cks, but if they're genuinely sticking with the suggestions and no more than a gathering of 4 and stay well apart ppe etc, I don't think they're going to be a danger to the good and all.

We're Jack and Nora, sure we're only going our pals for an aul chat and harming nobody.
    They're like dead wood, zero regards for themselves or anyone else, they'll always be plebs because they think they're different.
    Ain't nobody gonna tell us what to do.

A bit like the knobs going from east west for the long weekend to their holiday homes.

Wouldn't it be some land if someone was driving from Dublin to Lahinch for the long weekend only to be turned around at Ennistymon and told No 2,000 fine now fck off to where you came from.

There's going to be check points all along those routes over the coming days.
    And the guards will not discriminate that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

tintin67 wrote: »
    The boardwalk in Dublin city centre is absolutely full of the usual gangs of junkies and dipsos swilling cans with their shirts off.

Boardwalk should have been built with a tilt mechanism to drop them all into the Liffey any time there were no real people using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

hurikane wrote: »
    Hopefully they will be extended, as the Gardaí clearly require them.

Really ? Because of the riots, or the looting, or a person chancing their arm going to their holiday home ? I wonder how many people disobey a request to go home ?

The fact that they have only been given until Sunday is a sure sign that they probably aren't necessary.

but if they're genuinely sticking with the suggestions and no more than a gathering of 4 I don't think they're going to be a danger to the good and all. [/QUOTE]

AFAIK, having any visitors to your home is contrary to the suggestions.
    Billhook wrote: »
    We're Jack and Nora, sure we're only going our pals for an aul chat and harming nobody.
    They're like dead wood, zero regards for themselves or anyone else, they'll always be plebs because they think they're different.
    Ain't nobody gonna tell us what to do.
    A bit like the knobs going from east west for the long weekend to their holiday homes.

If it were only Jack and Nora and these holidaymakers that died due to this complacency, that would not be so much of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mossie

I know of a group of lads, late teens/ early 20'. they were meeting up at an empty house (rural area) belonging to one of their families. A neighbour called the guards who came out, took names, and sent them on their way. Next night they're meeting up someplace else and probably will every night. Some of these have ill parents or grandparents who could be exposed to the virus through this. The fact is they seem to have no understanding, or wish to understand, how serious the situation is and unfortunately this seems to be a common thread in society today. All they care about is their social life. Maybe a fine might wake them up but as a lot of them have their lives subsidised by parents with more money than sense that probably won't work either

• Registered Users Posts: 15,061 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Right OP
    You have had the full day and multiple pages of posts here to offer you advice.

Why don't you stop fannying about and pick up the phone to the Gardai ?

You husband wants you to.

You yourself want to I believe.

Plenty here want you to.

So why not do it ?

Tell us how you got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Discodog wrote: »
    Really ? Because of the riots, or the looting, or a person chancing their arm going to their holiday home ? I wonder how many people disobey a request to go home ?

The fact that they have only been given until Sunday is a sure sign that they probably aren't necessary.

Because people are moving about unnecessarily, it’s that simple.

Right OP
    You have had the full day and multiple pages of posts here to offer you advice.

Why don't you stop fannying about and pick up the phone to the Gardai ?

You husband wants you to.

You yourself want to I believe.

Plenty here want you to.

So why not do it ?

Tell us how you got on.

You're probably right, Im softened after a few hours two ing and frowning on this thread.
    At first I was kind of thinking its not right spying on neighbours, I probably put the cart before the horse, well I did put the cart before the horse. No other way of putting it.

But if people's lives are at risk, due to people disregarding the protocols, then it is serious.

Hopefully this will pass over the next month or two, and I don't want my loved ones or myself gasping for life on a respirator.

Im held up now in a rural spot and probably getting cabin fever and my family are miles away and my son's unable to see me because his mums working on the front line and my partner is 30km away so that brings me back to earth.

It would be interesting to see how this pans out and if the op goes ahead and makes a call...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

exyfUfT7u8HluIYw.jpg

Because people are moving about unnecessarily, it’s that simple.

If the Guards can't tell people to go home, without needed the most stringent legislation since the War, then heaven help us.

• Advertisement

If the Guards can't tell people to go home, without needed the most stringent legislation since the War, then heaven help us.

If it was a contagious skin disease or caused disfigurement I'm telling you one thing these people breaking the rules wouldn't be seen for months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

I've noticed neighbours having people over recently. Last night two sets had people call over with beers, sitting out and enjoying the evening sun. I have a kid out of school and two of us trying to juggle work at home around this. We haven't seen anyone outside the home in nearly a month and it's causing a lot of tension at home, though we know its temporary. I also know someone who couldn't go to a family funeral or say goodbye to a grandparent dying because of the restrictions. So it really makes me annoyed to see other people flouting the restrictions because they aren't affected.
    My husband reckons now that Garda regulations are enforceable (so i understand it) we should be reporting them. I am hesitant - I feel if we are doing our bit, then we should mind our own business. I wouldn't want neighbours thinking it was us either. What do others think?

I'd always wondered how the Stasi was so effective. Blimey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Drew Harris had a presser begging for people to call. The apparatus of the state are recommending neighbours turn on each other. Careful what you wish for.

Drew Harris had a presser begging for people to call. The apparatus of the state are recommending neighbours turn on each other. Careful what you wish for.

That's my main concern, its ok to have a good reason, but what's stopping people sending the guards to people as a vandeta, if they call out and their little rendezvous is over, car gone from the driveway etc

Call again and they'll say they're busy but will do a drive by later.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,130 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

That's my main concern, its ok to have a good reason, but what's stopping people sending the guards to people as a vandeta, if they call out and their little rendezvous is over, car gone from the driveway etc

Call again and they'll say they're busy but will do a drive by later.

Popping caps in asses no doubt

Well that’s the point, they need the legislation.

Well that’s the point, they need the legislation.

Apart from one obvious example how many others refused to follow Garda requests? I don't recall any.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

we've no chance at battling this if the prevailing sentiment is "hurrr don't be a curtain twitcher just mind your own biz", the magic hands of the government will provide and protect, but f*ck the authorities for trying to control us.

Apart from one obvious example how many others refused to follow Garda requests? I don't recall any.

1000’s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

we've no chance at battling this if the prevailing sentiment is "hurrr don't be a curtain twitcher just mind your own biz", the magic hands of the government will provide and protect, but f*ck the authorities for trying to control us.

Oh but it's like a police state. I mean, the intention, outcome and all other meaningful consequences are different to a police state, but it looks a bit like a police state, so it's a police state.
    I'd always wondered how the Stasi was so effective. Blimey.

Well there we are. The auld Stasi will be around shortly to brutally knock on your door, menacingly ask you to consider the health and well-being of your neighbors and, in a very sinister and deliberate fashion, tell you good luck now all the best.

I tell you, police state.

Advertisement