Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Fair play to RTE, they're doing their best to cheer us up. An hour long episode of Fair City at 7.30 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭crossman47

Talisman wrote: »
    Correction: "around 5,000 people a day".

The HSE are very fond of rounding up positive numbers and reducing negative numbers.

5,000 is a nice headline number but it's meaningless.

They have tested 33,000 in about 13 days so, allowing for a slow start, they must be at 5000 now.

• Site Banned Posts: 93 ✭✭Marsden35

Spot on, this and your previous post. This thread is a dumpster fire. A load of keyboard warriors who think they could do better. How delusional can you get?

Everyone is an expert on Corona. It's just one of these topics everyone has a view on and regurgitate half stories they heard on the news or through gossip.

I told my dad studies had shown that Corona can sit in the air for up to three hours.

I then heard him on the phone to my uncle telling him that someone could cough in another city and because it can last in the air for 3 hours, a breeze could carry it over and you could get infected just sitting in your garden. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

If that is for real they should be immediately closed again by any means necessary. A military strike if needs be.

Just watching a programme about Asian pangolins being driven to the edge of extinction because of the Chinese demand for them, going forward I think the Chinese are going to have to make a lot of lifestyle changes.

• Advertisement

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I wish those reporters on RTE would stop saying each day that half the the people were over or younger than the average age of death. They seem to think that half the values in a range have to be above the average and half below. It means no such thing.

A median means exactly that which is why its being used

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

merikahan wrote: »

At 19 bit passed a teenager, absolute idiot, should be ashamed of himself wtf like why would you do this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

MadYaker wrote: »
    294 new cases yesterday and 200 today. At least its still showing a downward trend for now. I'm guessing thats going to change in the next few days though.

Why would you guess that?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

cosanostra wrote: »
    They are'nt testing to get people treatment they're testing to isolate them and their contacts. It's actually more important to find asymptomatic people as they are the ones most likely to spread it

That may be the cases. But my point is during this lockdown where everyone is technically isolated that stratagey isn't as important.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Fair play to RTE, they're doing their best to cheer us up. An hour long episode of Fair City at 7.30 :D
    Bring back Glenroe, that would work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Refractions

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    That may be the cases. But my point is during this lockdown where everyone is technically isolated that stratagey isn't as important.

Loads of people will be working tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

pc7 wrote: »
    At 19 bit passed a teenager, absolute idiot, should be ashamed of himself wtf like why would you do this

drink was taken

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Is it? Its no more of an epicentre than Ireland is right now.

Deaths per million:
    Ireland - 9
    USA - 7

The USA obviously has 66 times the population of Ireland. But relatively speaking the USA is doing better than most European countries.

If you said New York was an epicentre that would be different.
    The country as a whole has 25% of the active cases in the world. They havent locked down fast enough, so you can multiple the 120k by at least 2 now, probably 3 or 4. They hit exponential growth last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

According to a recent RTE report, there has been a 45% reduction in the number of people presenting to A&E compared with the same period last year.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0329/1127114-hse-briefing-covid/

What do we draw from this? That there are people avoiding A&E now when they shouldn't, because of Corona virus fears, or that there were numpties presenting to A&E before when they didn't really, really have to :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

I think I’m going mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭893bet

Antares35 wrote: »
    According to a recent RTE report, there has been a 45% reduction in the number of people presenting to A&E compared with the same period last year.

What do we draw from this? That there are people avoiding A&E now when they shouldn't, because of Corona virus fears, or that there were numpties presenting to A&E before when they didn't really, really have to :o

Less sports accidents
    Less traffic accidents
    Less work accidents
    Less drink related accidents
    Less referrals from Gps

And less numpties.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭breadmonster

Gods Gift wrote: »
    I think I’m going mad.

go cut the lawn again with scissors this time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

pc7 wrote: »

Why give the prick bail?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

crossman47 wrote: »
    A median means exactly that which is why its being used

I think his point was RTE were calling it the average (i.e. the mean) which would not mean that be accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

3ujl6g.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

It's mostly due to the former. GPs aren't referring and patients themselves aren't presenting unless they feel it's completely essential. Less activities taking place that night cause injuries too. There has been a bit of a drop in heart attacks and strokes presenting which is somewhat concerning.

There will be some of the latter cohort too. But often there's just nowhere else to send patients who need some sort of treatment.

It is a bit like the traffic effect, whereby a 10% difference in volumes can often be the difference between gridlock and the roads feeling almost empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Is 10 the largest number of deaths in one day so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Eh the second one.

Trolley crisis showing to be just Wasters turning up with a cold or pissed.

Arse holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭trashcan

Probably a combination of both. Plus, as 893 points out above, maybe less accidents with less people out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,165 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Pheonix10 wrote: »

No, it was yesterday in fact (14)

schmoo2k wrote: »
    I think his point was RTE were calling it the average (i.e. the mean) which would not mean that be inaccurate?

No, RTe are saying median. To be pedantic, mean, median and mode are all averages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Could tie in with unusual video reports of empty hospitals in NYC; less than expected activity for a pandemic hotspot, seemingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭marilynrr

Pheonix10 wrote: »

No, yesterday was 14.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Eh the second one.

Arse holes.

This is just not the case. Grasping at anything to further your agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Eh the second one.

Arse holes.

That's completely not true. People waiting on trolleys are awaiting a bed in hospital so they have been found to be in need of hospital treatment. Such a negative view to have of people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement