Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭FullOf..IT

awec wrote: »
    “Why didn’t we just shut the whole country down for months on end?!?”

“I saw someone outside, this lockdown is a total disaster, Irish people don’t get it”

It’s beyond tiring at this stage. Trying to read objective discussion on the numbers and you have to wade through page after page of absolute nonsense from these posters.

My thoughts exactly - can we have a breakaway thread with an IQ test for entry into this splinter group?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Strazdas wrote: »
    Indeed : the situation with kits at Pairc ui Chaoimh is a distraction. There are testing centres all over the country, not just there and Croker.
    It seems that for every day things look a small bit better, sadly not in terms of deaths, there is one more thing to find fault with. I think it is looking increasingly likely we will not become Italy or Spain or Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

FFS.

People were demanding flights from Northern Italy be grounded in early March until a plan was in place to bring Irish citizens only home in a controlled manner that involved temperature and symptom checks at the very least. These people were ignored by the government. If only the government listened then we'd have avoided a large number of cases and resulting deaths.

The government tried to press on with St Patricks Day Parades and critcised towns who cancelled theres.

People demanded school closures, the government hesitated.

It was obvious nursing homes were a major risk and people were saying that staff were not wearing the nessecay PPE. Ignored. Holohan even wanted to life visitor restrictions. People's criticisms again ignored.

People have been saying for weeks our lockdown has been a farce with no consequences for those who break it. Ignored.

Now people are saying its madness to allow flights in from London and New York without screening or mandatory supervised isolation. Ignored.

People said going ahead with Cheltenham was crazy. The government didn't even bother issuing a travel advisory on that one, not that anyone takes Irish government travel advisories seriously.

And on and on. You clearly haven't been paying attention to the inaction of our government from the start.

Their actions have come very late and too late for those in ICU or worse.

Will people being asked to return from US be quarantined at this stage ? US is an epicentre and to allow people return without mandatory 14 day quarantine is madness. The hotel at airport could be used. If this isn’t done cases will explode again in a few weeks.

I don’t understand the lack of travel restrictions and then allowing people fly in and walk around food shops etc . This surely will undo any of the good work over the two weeks ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

BanditLuke wrote: »
    It's not the time for political point scoring then you bring up SF :pac:

Okay have a nice evening

Well to my eyes that’s exactly what ye are doing- kicking FG cos they didn’t do this or that when they are doing a grand job of it at the moment. Makes me question who the likes of you voted for - I’m in no way an FG fanboy before you start but I recognise leadership when I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭kaymin

Blaze420 wrote: »
    I have no anger at all so don’t know where you are getting that from. I think FG are doing the best they can in the circumstances and I’m happy it’s them managing this and not the dopes in SF.

It’s not the time for political point scoring though because there’s a big threat to be dealt with - for you and the others who say they aren’t doing enough - what do ye know? **** all.

It's not that they're not doing enough now it's that they did so little in the early weeks and are having to play catch-up. I was on this thread on 2 Feb with others raising concerns about plane loads of Italians passing through Dublin airport without any checks whatsoever. FG hasn't led, they've followed every step of the way so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

wakka12 wrote: »
    I think France just updates once a day? If so, also a big drop there like in Italy. Just 2600 new cases vs 4000 yesterday. Deaths are similar though at nearly 300.

I only read on deaths now. I don’t think test confirmation is important anymore as different counties have different procedures on testing requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

We are about 5-7 days behind on results, the counts being given are not live data. Take from that what you will

Do you have a credible source for that 5-7 day claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

We are about 5-7 days behind on results, the counts being given are not live data. Take from that what you will

Well, things were a lot more open 7 days ago. Nobody is mixing anymore. I think we can be cautiously optimistic at the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

is_that_so wrote: »
    It seems that for every day thing look a small bit better, sadly not in terms of deaths, there is one more thing to find fault with. I think it is looking increasingly likely we will not become Italy or Spain or Britain.

The problem is if we relax the sanctions it could take off like a rocket imagine trying to shut the country down a 2nd time when people would see the 1st time as an over reaction businesses will have had enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Probably dropping due to the weekend. Think last weekend was the same and then we saw a jump on the Monday. Stand to be corrected on that.

Lab testing is carried out 24/7. There isn't a reduced service for Covid testing at weekends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

niallo27 wrote: »
    Well, things were a lot more open 7 days ago. Nobody is mixing anymore. I think we can be cautiously optimistic at the numbers.

Agree. Given the obvious lag, I am very cautiously optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,383 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It seems that for every day thing look a small bit better, sadly not in terms of deaths, there is one more thing to find fault with. I think it is looking increasingly likely we will not become Italy or Spain or Britain.

If we get the numbers consistently down, we might be one of the first countries in Europe to get back out of the lockdown (in a few weeks time).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Here’s hoping, hopefully being less densely populated, no underground etc will stand to us. Really feel majority are adhering to it, bar the usual scrotes and morons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Urethral Buttercup

“I saw someone outside, this lockdown is a total disaster, Irish people don’t get it”

It’s beyond tiring at this stage. Trying to read objective discussion on the numbers and you have to wade through page after page of absolute nonsense from these posters.

These threads are embarrassing. Full of saddos and ghouls, peering out from behind their blinds for weeks, full of feelings of righteousness and fantasies of lockdowns and punishment beatings. This crisis is their moment to shine, and they know it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

frillyleaf wrote: »
    I only read on deaths now. I don’t think test confirmation is important anymore as different counties have different procedures on testing requirements

Test confirmation is more important for contact tracing than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,383 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

cosanostra wrote: »
    The problem is if we relax the sanctions it could take off like a rocket imagine trying to shut the country down a 2nd time when people would see the 1st time as an over reaction businesses will have had enough

They wouldn't lift the restrictions until new cases were down to a trickle or none - but that scenario will happen in time, hopefully before the start of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭threeball

Fcuk me. Page after page of the same sh1te. How many are we testing, why wasn't I tested, we're not testing enough, they changed the test. Over and over ad nauseam. If it bothers you that much ring the HSE or write Harris a strongly worded email rather than filling up a thread that has some great information sprinkled in between the reams of bollox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Distribution of COVID-19 cases worldwide, as of 29 March 2020

novel-coronavirus-cases-worldwide-29-march-2020.png?itok=0Vs5AQE2

The early China curve looks small now as the daily number of cases continue to increase in the rest of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭jackboy

Lab testing is carried out 24/7. There isn't a reduced service for Covid testing at weekends.

Where they they get all the extra trained experienced lab analysts from? This is a genuine question, how many did they hire?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

If so that is better. Have you a link to that?

Here's a link for you,

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-ten-more-deaths-confirmed-in-republic-1.4215029

More than 33,000 people have been tested since March 16th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Spot on, this and your previous post. This thread is a dumpster fire. A load of keyboard warriors who think they could do better. How delusional can you get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I wish those reporters on RTE would stop saying each day that half the the people were over or younger than the average age of death. They seem to think that half the values in a range have to be above the average and half below. It means no such thing.

That's not what they said. Median

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Could be 400 tomorrow, far too early to tell.

Could be 10 tomorrow, far too early to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭blackcard

jackboy wrote: »
    Where they they get all the extra trained experienced lab analysts from? This is a genuine question, how many did they hire?

There are numerous labs who do water quality, air quality, material testing etc. These would have trained technicians working for them. The HSE have a huge amount of companies assisting them in the current crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

frillyleaf wrote: »
    US is an epicentre

Is it? Its no more of an epicentre than Ireland is right now.

Deaths per million:
    Ireland - 9
    USA - 7

The USA obviously has 66 times the population of Ireland. But relatively speaking the USA is doing better than most European countries.

If you said New York was an epicentre that would be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Spot on, this and your previous post. This thread is a dumpster fire. A load of keyboard warriors who think they could do better. How delusional can you get?

The 'powers that be' shills are getting very rude again !

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Genghis

I dont think that's the case, yes there is a lag but day or two I would have guessed. Open to correction.

Whatever the lag, the trend is positive and indicates our measures are working.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭jackboy

blackcard wrote: »
    There are numerous labs who do water quality, air quality, material testing etc. These would have trained technicians working for them. The HSE have a huge amount of companies assisting them in the current crisis.

Totally different testing. They wouldn’t be able to test the samples for the virus. Those labs wouldn’t have the right instruments either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Is it? Its no more of an epicentre than Ireland is right now.

Deaths per million:
    Ireland - 9
    USA - 7

The USA obviously has 66 times the population of Ireland. But relatively speaking the USA is doing better than most European countries.

I think epicentre is calculated on total number of cases only.

Also note that USA are about two weeks behind Ireland (in the same way we are a couple of weeks behind Italy)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Discovery channel @8pm. Pandemic :COVID 19

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement