Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,082 ✭✭✭✭walshb

200 is encouraging, but are they really testing enough since the new criteria came in..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I know posting anything. By paddy cos grace is a death sentence on here but fvck it. Is he like the Chinese dissenters? Instead of actual assassination it’s just character assassination by the faithful.

https://twitter.com/paddycosgrave/status/1244283104979804166?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Could this drop be due to the new testing criteria?

How is the new testing Criteria gonna drop the numbers?
    I see this mentioned a few times on the thread.
    The criteria will increase the chances of catching cases not drop them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Why dont they publish the exact amount that have been tested and the amount of test that have been processed to date? This would give us an idea of the if the amount per day has increased significantly. I don't see why if they have nothing to hide that they don't do this.

They publish every week. I guess it's one less thing to do on a dailly basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

gmisk wrote: »
    200 new cases today...that is pretty encouraging I think. Numbers not climbing massively each day.

I wouldn't get too excited, the low number is probably due to the fact that the testing criteria has changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,334 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

wakka12 wrote: »
    Cases now at 700k, about 30 hours after reaching 600k

May be over a million by the time April rolls around

just looking down through the list of countries, while the individual numbers in most countries in Africa are still low, there's big percentage increases there as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

rossie1977 wrote: »
    India was always going to be an issue if it took hold. Couple that with a horrible government and its recipe for disaster.

The absolute poverty in places Delhi, Agra and Mumbai is unimaginable unless you witness it in person. I saw kids as young as 5-6 naked and completely filthy from head to head running around train stations.

Townships in South Africa are going to be extremely hard hit from this. ANC are another government that won't be able to cope with a major outbreak.

First confirmed case in a South African township today in Khayelitsha, Cape Town. Population 400,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Simon Harris looks wrecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    I wouldn't get too excited, the low number is probably due to the fact that the testing criteria has changed.

As noted above, with the new criteria, you would expect the known virus numbers to go up, not down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

marilynrr wrote: »
    Not necessarily just yet. Some of those numbers could be from people who spread it to other people in their households.

House hold infections would actually help lower infection rates , that is the reason for our lockdown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

No as they're still testing lots of people and also those most likely to have it.

Do you think test centres and labs are suddenly empty since the new criteria came in?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

harr wrote: »
    Happy if it’s just 200 new cases but it seems artificially low at this point .. the number of deaths seems high in comparison to number of cases

Depending on your respective, it could be be argued that it is artificially high relative to other countries that are testing in lower volumes.

Possibly in a strange situation whereby the final numbers will be vastly higher than those being reported in real time but that the the gap between those two sets of figures will be lower here in Ireland.

For example, the number of verified cases here, relative to population, is quite a bit higher than the UK. However, considerably more people have passed away in the UK.

So, while I agree that the numbers here are likely artificially low, my gut instinct is that they are more representative of the truth than a lot of figures in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

The last numbers that were released were as of 23 March, 17,992 tests had been carried out. That was 23 rd March, so approx 700 a day since start of outbreak. Maybe the HSE could publish their testing and processing figures.
    If you have more recent numbers I would be happy to correct my self.
    Doing 5000 but processing how many? Can you give me a link to the overall number of tests carried out.

You keep saying "doing". What do you mean?!

There wasn't near the amount of tests requested to be processed when we began. Testing has ramped up to try and meet demand. Getting the average number of tests done per day is useless. It makes it seem like we're testing f*ck all.

If the number of tests done as of the 23rd March was ~18,000 and now it is at ~33,000 that implies we have processed ~15,000 tests in the last week, averaging 2,143 a day.

With the number of tests being done per day increasing all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Several of the test centres closed without notice today because they ran out of kits. This will impact reported new cases in a few days. We cannot look at new case numbers as indicative of anything when testing is chopping and changing criteria, or suddenly put on hold. If testing criteria and capacity isn't consistent, then patterns in the cases reported are not meaningful.

Tbh case number lost meaning a few weeks ago in my opinion. Its ICU and death numbers should be compared now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

RIP to the 10 that died

The increase of 200 seems promising

• Registered Users Posts: 39,689 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

threeball wrote: »
    The Belarusian president has left all sporting events open and is recommending that people drink vodka and wash their hands in it to combat the virus but not at work.

Sure he's a gob****e anyway and I've had conversations with Belarusian who have visited here and it's a complete mess and the president is a dictator basically. Before an elections there the phrase "you can vote for whoever you like, but you know who you should vote for." was said.

Anyway obviously ten more deaths is awful but given the mean ages of the last two days it unfortunately seems to be in nursing homes and given the age group in a nursing homes they are prime targets for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,310 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I know posting anything. By paddy cos grace is a death sentence on here but fvck it. Is he like the Chinese dissenters? Instead of actual assassination it’s just character assassination by the faithful.

https://twitter.com/paddycosgrave/status/1244283104979804166?s=21
    He is a painful mouth anything for a bit of publicity.
    I saw he donated...some PPE equipment... great...I could see it because it was a promoted tweet...that tells you all you need to know about this tool.
    There are millions of pieces of PPE en route.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

How can it possibly be contained in sh*tholes like India and African countries? People live on top of each other, is there even any point in introducing measures?

XsApollo wrote: »
    How is the new testing Criteria gonna drop the numbers?
    I see this mentioned a few times on the thread.
    The criteria will increase the chances of catching cases not drop them.

What makes you think that? lots of people have the virus and only have mild symptoms like a cough etc

They now can not be tested because of the new testing criteria

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

It has changed to try and capture more cases, not decrease them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

How do people not get it. The testing criteria is stricter so you’d expect to see more positive test results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Coyote

Number updated to match today's report

Warning today's numbers might be a downward blip due to the change in testing

No Change in number
    507517.PNG

Slow Change
    507518.PNG

Big Drop in numbers
    507519.PNG

again with all of this i'm just trying to show people the 14 day delay in an change in how we deal with this
    if you wait till we are overloaded it's too late
    everyone has to make up there own mind but at least look at the maths

3 weeks no change 44K
    3 weeks slow change 29K
    3 weeks big drop 9K

1 month no change 151K
    1 month slow change 56K
    1 month big drop 11K

intresting visualization of covid
    http://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

you need to decide what you do today to affect 3 weeks from now

• Registered Users Posts: 23,372 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Are we not out of tests again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

tscul32 wrote: »
    Family member tested last Monday, no results yet! These 200 could be from last week.

My brother was tested on March 18th at 3.30. Still no result. 11 days later!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

There's no logic in that. They are testing more than ever before and testing people with more symptoms and, therefore, more likely to have a positive result. Can you explain how having more tests done every day could show less cases?

It has changed to try and capture more cases, not decrease them.

But lots of people have the virus and they only have one symptom, so now they won't get tested......

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭marilynrr

ZX7R wrote: »
    House hold infections would actually help lower infection rates , that is the reason for our lockdown

But initially rates would go up because of household infections, after a while we should see the benefits!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭Talisman

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    HSE said we are doing 5000 tests a day.
    Correction: "around 5,000 people a day".

The HSE are very fond of rounding up positive numbers and reducing negative numbers.

5,000 is a nice headline number but it's meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

bekker wrote: »
    No relevance to the quote, track back posts.

Refers to incident reported in South China Morning Post a few days ago, migrant workers trying to return to neighbouring province. Remember same sort of scenes in Hong Kong about people crossing from the adjoining area.

Doesn't prove Hubei isn't reopening, doesn't mean quarantine hasn't been lifted.

Does prove that people in Jiangxi don't want migrant workers returning, maybe because of fears of viral infection, maybe because huge job losses, and they want those remaining for home boys.

Only have v.sketchy acquaintance with Chinese history, but maybe a bit of Cork/Limerick at work also.

Same images can be used by CPC, as need for strict central control to avoid falling into 'warlordism.

It's all in the spin.

Thats funny.

Police blocking a bridge to stop people leaving Hubei does not mean that the quarantine on Hubei hasn't been lifted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Why can't some people accept any promising news, and instead have to get all disappointed and frantic by putting so much negative spin and speculation on any positivity.

It is getting very fcucking tiring on this thread.

It's an endless cycle of:

Low numbers = Testing is a shambles, HSE hiding something, still waiting on results, blah blah blah
    High numbers = HSE and government have completely effed up this situation, I saw this coming 10 years ago why didn't anyone else, blah blah blah

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement