Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭celt262

Any links on who exactly the cocooning applies to?

Over 70's

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Just turned on Late Late where is Tubridy?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I wonder is appliance repairing ( someone calling to a house to repair an appliance) be classed as an essential service.

If it's my TV, damn fcuking right it is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

NIMAN wrote: »
    Panic buying tonight at the local supermarket.

Some people had food falling out of their trolleys. They are obviously buying enough for 2 weeks.

You'll have plenty of people wanting to stock up now for two weeks to avoid the hassle of being stopped and so on if they are out and about.

In some ways, that will actually suit the Government if those people end up saying indoors for the two weeks.

In reality, the chances of being stopped are fairly slim and there are no enforcement provisions associated with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Could a government be formed on the condition that there will be another general election after this crisis? Surely the parties could agree to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

cosanostra wrote: »
    Going by this factories and building sites will continue to operate as normal

Gov.ie back up:
    The Taoiseach, Leo Varadkar, and Minister for Health, Simon Harris, have issued strict guidelines for people to stay at home from midnight tonight (Friday).

The rules are to STAY AT HOME. The only times you can leave are:

-to travel to or from work if you are providing an essential service
    to shop for food
    -to collect medical prescriptions and medical supplies and attend medical appointments
    -to carry out vital services like caring (including family carers)
    -for brief individual exercise - within 2 kilometres of your house. (You can bring children but must keep 2 metres away from others for social distancing)
    -for farming purposes

You should not hold any private or public functions and this includes family functions for family who don't live in the same house.

All community centres will close. All public transport will be restricted to those carrying out essential travel for the reasons outlined above.

All non-essential businesses will close.

Shielding or coccooning of older and vulnerable people will come into place where they should not leave the house and arrange for others check on them and to bring shopping and medicines.

Except for the reasons above; you should not travel more than 2 kilometres from your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I enjoyed the Terminator quote.

More seriously, I think they've done well to cast this all in the light of a united, heroic defiance rather than something more paternalistic - setting the tone with "Together, we can save many lives" early on was a very canny foot to start out on, and maintaining it is wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,078 ✭✭✭✭walshb

fr336 wrote: »

Don’t fooking jinx it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Re the economy, the ECB need to fire up the printing presses and issue money to every family in the EU.

People won't accept austerity after this.

MMT and helicopter money is a fairly tail.
    Money only has value comparatively to what others have - so giving the same thing to everyone eventually is the same as not giving anything to anyone.
    It will feel good at first, but eventually it will just create massive inflation in housing costs and the price of essential consumer goods, while destroying trust in the currency.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

He has a cough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

In self-isolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Hurrache wrote: »
    I doubt there has been one case of infection passed on or received from people running.

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭billybonkers

How many people are in ICU in total right now, not just covid patients?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

got a sniffle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

AdrianG08 wrote: »
    We wont hit 15000 because testing hasnt been sufficient.

So many infected people were not even aware.

Key figure is ICU admissions

YES, it's accurate, it's current, and it's the best indicator of how things are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

There's people out walking and running in the past week that never did a tap of exercise in the last 30 years, and now these people are worried their exercise will be taken from them...get a grip FFS.

They have to compile a list of essential work and it needs to be enforced, i'd bet my last penny my employer still won't close, the greed is in them, if there was a total lockdown ordered i'd still bet my boss would would be ringing around telling all the grunts to use the back door in and out next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,306 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Heartbreaking to see what's happening in Spain and Italy.
    It is....but we could head the same way if guidelines aren't followed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Yeah. Or at least governments will concentrate on making sure the regular guy on the street is looked after.

I mentioned this the other day but people should take the time to listen to David McWilliams podcast the other night. It's inspiring stuff. I know this is a horrible time but a lot of good will eventually come from this. These events are like big reset buttons, everything changes afterwards. It's like WW2 happened and a continent that had almost continuous wars going back through history devised a system that brought relative peace and prosperity for decades now.
    I think this will be seen as the time that governments realise that people will no longer accept crap social systems and healthcare and government services. The government will be forced to look after its citizens.

Crap social welfare systems??? Who are you talking abort? Because there is nowhere else in the world some scumbag with 7 kids can earn 55k a year in be benefits while also getting a free house. If anything happens, I hope we cut the wasters off their life support of dole payments and help those who GENUINELY deserve it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,148 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Blaze420 wrote: »
    I don’t think there will and if there is, I hope the gardai put the batons to good use. Stay the **** at home!!

Ffs. You want the police to use violence against people who are buying food? Wtf is wrong with people

Lets just forcibly imprison everyone in their houses and be done with it. will that make you happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭1wizards sleeve

Bad period apparently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

celt262 wrote: »
    Over 70's
    And those with medical issues that might lead to a greater chance of picking up the virus, who most have been inside the last few weeks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

Manach wrote: »
    This lockdown is a difficult call to judge. On the one hand, this will save lives of the most afflicted. On the other, there is no comparible precedent for this scale of infringement of liberties. During prior historic pandemic/illness events, normal life went on as close to normal as possible. The great debates on human freedom and political discussion occurred during virulent outbreaks that outstripped the Corana virus.

Personally I have no regard for this government, which still finds time to virtue signal its base, eg on abortion. I just hope that they got this call right and the long term consequences of this draconian measure do not pan out.

It just shows that some people never experienced living under a totalitarian government. This whole situation sounds similar to when the Soviet Union collapsed.

Guys like Ron Paul (who is a doctor himself and his son contracted the virus) think this whole thing is a hoax.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭con747

Ffs. LOL.

Something funny?

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Thank god we have got rid of the leisure cyclists going for long spins, that will certainly reduce the infection rates in nursing homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Any links on who exactly the cocooning applies to?

Cocoonposter.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭sudzs

I think I might quite like to be cocooned :o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,354 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Going by some of the stupid posts on here come next Tuesday they will be banning all outside travel except for shopping and chemists
    Some real selfish people posting - we're trying to save lives and some are more bothered about themselves and arguing the semantics of a 2km exercise zone - to you know stop potential positive cases spreading it to other areas
    Should have said no more than 500m from your house!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

There's not even a village within 2km of where I live nevermind a shop.
    Guess I'll be killing the wildlife for the next 2 weeks for dinner.

I'm with you Purple except I'm veggie I'll swap you some wildlife for berries and nettles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Bob24 wrote: »
    MMT and helicopter money is a fairly tail.
    Money only has value comparatively to what others have - so giving the same thing to everyone eventually is the same as not giving anything to anyone.
    It will feel good at first, but eventually it will just create massive inflation in housing costs and the price of essential consumer goods, while destroying trust in the currency.

I agree with this, it's why I'm worried about inflation in the long run from the massive money printing because of the fallout from this. What's the alternative though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Is anyone esle plagued with flys?

Yes since thursday.
    Let's hope they can't spread it...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement