Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Bob24 wrote: »
    MMT and helicopter money is a fairly tail.
    Money only has value comparatively to what others have - so giving the same thing to everyone eventually is the same as not giving anything to anyone.
    It will feel good at first, but eventually it will just create massive inflation in housing costs and the price of essential consumer goods, while destroying trust in the currency.

Yeah people on here don’t understand that.

The only printed money that was useful was the counterfeit stuff, that had value at least by fraud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Ffs. You want the police to use violence against people who are buying food? Wtf is wrong with people

Lets just forcibly imprison everyone in their houses and be done with it. will that make you happy?

A majority here are as thick as **** - that much is clear for the past 2 weeks. So gardai baton charging them or breaking legs is not something I care about in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Bad period apparently

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

CRITICAL CARE BED CAPACITY IN IRELAND SEPTEMBER 2016

This was worrying to see. Not all of the beds are suitable for Covid patients....

Please see attach screenshot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭greenpilot

topper75 wrote: »
    I'm sorry you ended up with that nasty experience through no fault of your own but you just sound angry. A runner keeping their distance didn't give you anything regardless of how far they ran. People should always question what they are told to do and why they are told to do it, especially when the given 'why' is vague or non-existant.
    I WON'T be complying with the 2km thing unless somebody can rationally explain how it increases the risk of me spreading the virus. I don't fear any police action in Ireland for obvious reasons.
    It's a personal thing for which I carry full responsibility, as with all my decisions and actions.

This is, by far, the most self-entitled post I've seen on Boards. The virus is a great leveller. Good luck with your little run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 NelRom

Apart from over 70's, is there a list of 'vulnerable'?
    Are asthma, bronchitis - what I've come to consider somewhat my 'normal' -included?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

sudzs wrote: »
    I think I might quite like to be cocooned :o

Same. It sounds cosy

• Registered Users Posts: 15,872 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

hmmm wrote: »
    Thank god we have got rid of the leisure cyclists going for long spins, that will certainly reduce the infection rates in nursing homes.

Do they all burst into nursing homes in their lycra?
    That's more heart attack territory tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

celt262 wrote: »
    Over 70's

So not people with certain illnesses?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Blaze420 wrote: »
    Crap social welfare systems??? Who are you talking abort? Because there is nowhere else in the world some scumbag with 7 kids can earn 55k a year in be benefits while also getting a free house. If anything happens, I hope we cut the wasters off their life support of dole payments and help those who GENUINELY deserve it

Social systems. Not social welfare. I mean health, housing, childcare, mental health, care of the elderly etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Text of speech
    Speech of An Taoiseach Leo Varadkar TD
    Government Buildings
    27 March 2020

Good Evening,

Tonight, I want to speak to you about the next stage in our national response to the Coronavirus Emergency.

Before I do so, I want to express my condolences to the families and friends of those who passed away today – one of whom was a health care worker.

I want to thank all of you for continuing to abide by public health advice.

By doing so, you are saving lives and protecting our health service and its staff.

Once again, thank you to everyone who is working as part of this Great National Effort whether at work or working from home.

Our country is rising to this challenge.

I am convinced that we shall prevail.

At the beginning of this emergency, I told you that there would be difficult days ahead.

We knew that the virus would spread in our country, that tragically, many of our citizens would suffer and that some would die.

I also promised that we would do all that we could do to protect the health of our citizens, to prepare our health service, to support our healthcare staff and to try to cushion the blow to the economy, our businesses and your livelihoods.

Today, with cross-party support, the Oireachtas has passed further emergency legislation.

This will help businesses to keep their staff in work, it will increase social welfare payments for people who lose their jobs, as a consequence of the emergency, including the self-employed.

Payments under these new schemes have already commenced.

Rents are frozen. There will be no evictions.

When I spoke to you on St. Patrick’s Day I said that more actions would be required in the coming weeks to slow the spread of the virus.

Over this month we have seen the numbers of people falling ill increase every day. We have seen loved ones die.

Guided by the expert advice of our Public Health Emergency Team, led by the Chief Medical Officer, we believe that this is now the time for these actions.

I also told you that there would be a calm before the storm.

The aim of every single action that we have taken is to reduce the impact of the storm on our country.

To slow down this virus, to push it back and contain it.

Throughout all of this, the Government has acted on the advice of the Chief Medical Officer and the National Public Health Emergency Team - an expert team of public health doctors, virologists and scientists.

Today, they informed the Government that:

The number of confirmed cases in Ireland exceed 2,100.

Sadly, the number of deaths is 22.

There is a day on day increase in the number of admissions to intensive care units, and the number has doubled since Monday.

Transmission in the community accounts for more than half of all cases.

There continues to be an increasing number of clusters, many of which are in nursing home and residential care settings.

The Government has received further recommendations on the actions that we need to take to protect our people.

These are in addition to all of the existing measures that are already in place.

So, with effect from midnight tonight, for a two-week period until Easter Sunday, April 12th.

Everybody must stay at home in all circumstances, except for the following situations:

To travel to and from work, or for purposes of work, only where the work is an essential health, social care or other essential service and cannot be done from home. A list will be provided.

To shop for food and household goods or collect a meal.

To attend medical appointments and collect medicines and other health products.
    For vital family reasons, such as providing care to children, elderly or vulnerable people.

To take brief individual physical exercise within 2km of your home, which may include children from your household, as long as you adhere to strict 2m physical distancing.

For farming purposes, ie food production or care of animals.

All public and private gatherings of any number of people outside a single household or living unit are prohibited.

The virus might be in your household already – so don’t spread it to someone else’s.

Sadly, this prohibition includes social family visits that are not for the vital reasons I have already mentioned.

A further range of non-essential shops and services will be closed.

The guidance given earlier in the week, in respect of essential retail outlets will be revised, to reflect this.

Adult community education centres and local community centres will be shut.

All non-essential surgery, health procedures and other non-essential health services will be postponed.

All visits to hospitals, residential healthcare centres, other residential settings and prisons are to cease, with specific exceptions on compassionate grounds.

Shielding, or cocooning, will be introduced for all those over 70 years of age and specified categories of people who are extremely vulnerable to Covid-19. Detailed guidance will be available.

Travel to our offshore islands will be limited to residents of those islands.

Pharmacists will be permitted to dispense medicines outside the current period of validity of the existing prescription in line with the pharmacist’s clinical judgement.

All public transport and passenger travel will be restricted only to essential workers and people providing essential services.

Apart from the activities I have listed, there should be no travel outside 2km radius from your home for any other reason.

These are radical actions aimed at saving as many lives as possible in the days and weeks ahead. We are not prisoners of fate – we can influence what is going to happen. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves.

As we enter this most intensive phase of restrictive actions, the Government’s emergency response will be ramped up.

Local emergency response will be led by Local authorities who will bring together all the state agencies, as well as local community groups, charities and volunteers, to ensure that all of our citizens get the help they need at this exceptional time.

Freedom was hard won in our country, and it jars with us, to restrict and limit individual liberties, even temporarily. But freedom is not an abstract concept.

We give it meaning every single day – in the way we live our lives – and in the decisions we take willingly to protect our loved ones.

So I am asking people to give meaning to our freedom and liberty by agreeing to these restrictions. Restricting how we live our lives so that so that others may live.

I am asking us for a time, to forego our personal liberties and freedoms for a greater cause.

Tonight I am appealing to every man, woman and child in our country to make these sacrifices – not out of self-interest but for each other.

To begin each day knowing that every single imposition, every inconvenience, every irritation will save lives and help our health service cope.

The whole world is suffering during this pandemic, and Ireland is no different.

What happens now is up to each one of us.

Show your support to our healthcare staff.

Show your support for everyone who is working in essential services or looking after our vulnerable citizens.

Show that you care for your families and friends.

Stay at home.

Tá an domhain iomlán ag fulaingt agus níl Éireann difriúil.

Is ar gach éinne anois cad a tárlóidh.

Taispéain do chuid tacaíocht d’oibritheorí slántiúil.

Taispéain do chuid tacaíocht don seirbhisí riachtanach agus daoine atá ar lag/chuidiú.

Taispéain do bhféicfidh tú i ndhiadh do chlainn agus do chairde.

Fan abhaile.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Red for Danger

The perfectly healthy with no underlying conditions death count is starting to grow

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭1wizards sleeve

Source?

Hahahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    I agree with this, it's why I'm worried about inflation in the long run from the massive money printing because of the fallout from this. What the alternative though?

Quantative easing worked before. It will be very tough, but the economy will recover, despite what the doom merchants are saying

• Registered Users Posts: 7,971 ✭✭✭threeball

ECB need to step up now and inject at least 1bn per 1million of population in the next few weeks to ease pressure on countries and allow an economic bounce back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

doc22 wrote: »
    To be honest I don't think the government act great at all. Nursing Homes and Hospital groups were criticized when they acted unilaterally tightening up rules on visitors rather then waiting for gov guidance(how it wasn't necessary) and now we hear of all these clusters around these two sectors.

I remember that. It was just an impression/opinion but I think they didn't like being "bounced" like that even when (IMO) it was right.
    The people running the response to this (NPHET, Department of Heath?) seem to want to maintain control of the measures being introduced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Social systems. Not social welfare. I mean health, housing, childcare, mental health, care of the elderly etc etc.

We do pretty well on all those fronts imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

I find it strange that the goverment did not contact BOARDS.IE and get the brains that are posting on the CoVid19 thread to sort out this problem, reading all these threads and a I am amazed at the amount of expert geniuses that have come together in this site, they would put the geniuses of the history of the world to shame,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    I agree with this, it's why I'm worried about inflation in the long run from the massive money printing because of the fallout from this. What's the alternative though?

There won't be massive inflation. There might be some inflation. We could do with some inflation. Even neo-liberal Chicago and Austrian school economists like 2% inflation. Inflation has been well below 2% for ages.

Also, if most businesses are closed, how could the prices for most things go up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

fritzelly wrote: »
    Going by some of the stupid posts on here come next Tuesday they will be banning all outside travel except for shopping and chemists
    Some real selfish people posting - we're trying to save lives and some are more bothered about themselves and arguing the semantics of a 2km exercise zone - to you know stop potential positive cases spreading it to other areas
    Should have said no more than 500m from your house!

Exactly the rules don't apply to me because I run or I have a dog or because I'm special.

Just follow the rules you absolute fXxxing babies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

A good few days of rain would slow this virus down.

At present we have had fantastic levels of care for the above tho, what could we have improved on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Because after midnight tonight they are not legally permitted to change legislation. It must be done by a newly formed government. This is another mess we could really do without now

Why after midnight? The Seanad election doesn't close until the 31st. Are you not voting in it?

Yeah. Or at least governments will concentrate on making sure the regular guy on the street is looked after.

I mentioned this the other day but people should take the time to listen to David McWilliams podcast the other night. It's inspiring stuff. I know this is a horrible time but a lot of good will eventually come from this. These events are like big reset buttons, everything changes afterwards. It's like WW2 happened and a continent that had almost continuous wars going back through history devised a system that brought relative peace and prosperity for decades now.
    I think this will be seen as the time that governments realise that people will no longer accept crap social systems and healthcare and government services. The government will be forced to look after its citizens.

Almost like a Great Awakening

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Yeah. Or at least governments will concentrate on making sure the regular guy on the street is looked after.

I mentioned this the other day but people should take the time to listen to David McWilliams podcast the other night. It's inspiring stuff. I know this is a horrible time but a lot of good will eventually come from this. These events are like big reset buttons, everything changes afterwards. It's like WW2 happened and a continent that had almost continuous wars going back through history devised a system that brought relative peace and prosperity for decades now.
    I think this will be seen as the time that governments realise that people will no longer accept crap social systems and healthcare and government services. The government will be forced to look after its citizens.
    this $hit is so wrong in so many ways by the people who know 0 F about history and aftermath that followed once the war was over, hope you get potato couch medal for bravery thou.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭Nermal

The perfectly healthy with no underlying conditions death count is starting to grow

Anecdotes don't grow into data.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

sudzs wrote: »
    I think I might quite like to be cocooned :o

Mmmm Steve Guttenburg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

On the list of essential workers...

I'm willing to bet that all american pharma/medical device companies here will stay open even if they've NOTHING to do with helping the situation. Money money money.

They contribute coporation tax which is essential at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I keep thinking that I may have seen my parents IRL for the last time :(
    Ya I am the same was here for the weekend and having to go home. Do not know when I will see them

• Advertisement

scamalert wrote: »
    this $hit is so wrong in so many ways by the people who know 0 F about history and aftermath that followed once the war was over, hope you get potato couch medal for bravery thou.

I don’t why I laughed so much at this!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement