Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

I think with SARS the virus came back in winter. Are they going to shut everything down again in November?
    Sky said that 98% of people who die have pre-existing conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Remember those in each of your areas who do not comply with restrictions. They are not helping society.

exactly, I will be sure to make them all wear stars, so they can be easily identified:rolleyes:

what difference is it if you go for a 2 km run in the middle of nowhere or a 10 km run in the middle of nowhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,823 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

walshb wrote: »
    I really need to ask..

With all the passion and commitment and ingenuity and brains and resources through this crisis, why is it that the RTE player is still utter dirt?

Because nobody working in RTE ever uses it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

fritzelly wrote: »
    No

Exercise is allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,864 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Lol, you still at that. It’s already in every county

Can see the spread on the map, every day Kildare, Wicklow and Meath are getting higher and higher, it's movement that is causing it, trains, buses, cars ect
    Wuhan shut down public transports straight away, it's was their no1 weapon against the virus. Dublin is open for anyone to move in and out of , spreading the virus far and wide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Friend of mine in the uk say they get stopped asking where they're going etc or if they go to work need a letter to show.
    Not sure if they'll bring that here eventually can't see them doing that .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Re the economy, the ECB need to fire up the printing presses and issue money to every family in the EU.

People won't accept austerity after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭2016

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I work as an outpatient clinic secretary so, I don't really know where we fall in this because there's no outpatient clinics going on anymore.

Maybe there is some other job you can do in the hospital? I'm guessing they are busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ihdxwz4a3pem9j

If the economy proceeds as normal, the virus will spread, and the economic cost of paying for the excessive number of patients in critical care and hospitals, will cripple the economy. Furthermore, for every worker that dies as a result of the virus, there will be a significant cost associated with that death (e.g. state pays €300,000 to train a person to fully qualified GP). Additionally, we will lose the taxes paid by that worker for the next X number of years. Finally, risk must be couched in human-terms. Would you be willing to pay the economic price of your child, your spouse, your parent, your grandparent, your favourite teacher, the friendly postman, the jolly grocer, the cleaner that wishes you good morning when you arrive at the office for the 'betterment of society'? If 70% of the population became infected, and we had a 10% mortality rate like Italy (versus the -1% we currently have), this could result in the death of 338,100 (and this does not include the indirect deaths from Covid-19). I don't understand how not implementing lockdown could result in more deaths than this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Nermal

Simon Harris tweeted the letter from Dr Holohan. See point 18.

https://twitter.com/SimonHarrisTD/status/1243640354018078729?s=20

Regrettably he left out pages 4 & 5 from the tweet and the government website is down so no clarification yet on exactly what are essential services.

Interesting. Just observations, risks, recommendations.

Where's the model runs? Where's the data? Where's the economic impact assessment?

Are we keeping all that stuff secret? Or just not doing it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭doc22

To be honest, as a healthcare worker in the critical care division, I think that the government is acting very well. The general consensus amongst my colleagues is that Varadkar and Harris are handling this really well. It was an unpredictable crisis. There is an amazing mobilisation of resources and support plans. The hospital is a collegiate place at the moment. From top-down, I think that the government, the HSE and individuals want to really help fight this virus. Ultimately, the decision was made to value lives above all else in this country.

To be honest I don't think the government act great at all. Nursing Homes and Hospital groups were criticized when they acted unilaterally tightening up rules on visitors rather then waiting for gov guidance(how it wasn't necessary) and now we hear of all these clusters around these two sectors.

New Home wrote: »
    Because those categories of people only exist in Ireland and not in any of the other countries where an actual, proper lockdown in in place? Or because they are immune to the virus or to spreading it? Of course it's difficult. Of course it's terrifying. But the alternative is much, much, much worse. It's literally deadly.

Yes it is absolutely and I didn't say those circumstances are unique to Ireland.
    That's what I meant by saying that I can see the necessity for this and also understand how difficult it is. I am able to understand and have compassion for every person impacted by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

From RTE I don't know if mods wat to put it in the sticky
    Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has said that from midnight tonight and for a two-week period, until Easter Sunday, everybody must stay at home, in all circumstances:

Except

- To travel to and from work for the purposes of work only where the work is an essential health, social care or other essential service or cannot be done from home (a list of these will be provided)

- To shop for food or household goods or collect a meal

- To attend medical appointments or collect medicines and other health products

- For vital family reasons, such as providing care to children, elderly or vulnerable people

- To take brief individual personal exercise within 2km of your own home which may include children from your own household as long as you adhere to two-metre physical distancing

- For farming purposes that is food production and care of animals

- All public and private gatherings of any number of people outside a single household or living unit are prohibited. The virus might be in your household already so please don't spread it to someone else

- This prohibition includes social family visits that are not for vital reasons already mentioned

- A further range of non-essential shops and services will be closed. The guidance given earlier this week in respect of retail outlets will be revised to reflect this

- Adult community education centres and local community centres will be shut

- All non-essential surgery and health procedures and all other non-essential health services will be postponed

- All visits to hospitals, residential healthcare settings and prisons are to cease, with specific exceptions on compassionate grounds

- Shielding or cocooning will be introduced for all those 70 years of age and specified categories of people who are extremely vulnerable to Covid-19

- Travel to our offshore islands will be limited to residents of those islands

- Pharmacists will be permitted to dispense medicines outside of the current period of validity with an existing prescription in line with the pharmacists clinical judgement

- All public transport and passenger travel will be restricted to essential workers and people providing essential services

- Outside of the reasons listed there is to be no travel outside a 2km radius of your home for any reason

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Re the economy, the ECB need to fire up the printing presses and issue money to every family in the EU.

People won't accept austerity after this.

How much per family?

What constitutes a family?

Are single people exempt from receiving this gift?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,080 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Harris is a great speaker..

We don't know where it's being spread.

If it's being spread within 2m of other people then we can be fairly sure it's being spread in offices and canteens more than beaches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Will the ***** in the NCT have to close?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

The country needs to go back to work with restrictions lifted on april 14 regardless. at that stage the damage caused by fighting the virus, will be greater than the virus itself.

Regardless? :rolleyes: You clearly don't understand that the virus will effectively make our health system redundant if left run wild. In 2 weeks time it will be in a far worse situation than currently- to suggest we 'go back to work' and lift restrictions is utter stupidity and trump esque. The restrictions are more likely to get stricter in 2 weeks, not be lifted.
    kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Yeah thankfully (bad thing to say) this crisis unlike the 2008 banking crisis is effecting Germany, so the ECB will eventually start printing money for government to use to pay down this debt.

This^ all of the central banks are printing essentially unlimited amounts of money to pay for the economic fallout and for fighting the virus itself. The world economy is crashing anyway, Ireland deciding to get everyone back to work prematurely isn't going to make a bit of difference to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Is it 71 in ICU as of today?

Has that been verified?

Dr Tony said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

The figures of saying that icu beds will be pushed beyond capacity isn't really taking into consideration the people who will leave icu into main ward or god forbid leave by the mortuary?

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I work as an outpatient clinic secretary so, I don't really know where we fall in this because there's no outpatient clinics going on anymore.

You surely got the redeployment notices from HSE, as all public servants have...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

The figures of saying that icu beds will be pushed beyond capacity isn't really taking into consideration the people who will leave icu into main ward or god forbid leave by the mortuary?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭con747

Will home heating oil be delivered?

Yes

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Anybody got a list of essential shops and jobs?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

This lockdown is a difficult call to judge. On the one hand, this will save lives of the most afflicted. On the other, there is no comparible precedent for this scale of infringement of liberties. During prior historic pandemic/illness events, normal life went on as close to normal as possible. The great debates on human freedom and political discussion occurred during virulent outbreaks that outstripped the Corana virus.

Personally I have no regard for this government, which still finds time to virtue signal its base, eg on abortion. I just hope that they got this call right and the long term consequences of this draconian measure do not pan out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

How much per family?

tree fiddy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,287 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Can see the spread on the map, every day Kildare, Wicklow and Meath are getting higher and higher, it's movement that is causing it, trains, buses, cars ect
    Wuhan shut down public transports straight away, it's was their no1 weapon against the virus. Dublin is open for anyone to move in and out of , spreading the virus far and wide.

That will change this weekend. Anyone who is in a place where they shouldn't be can be questioned by Gardai and public transport sounds like it will be really quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I think with SARS the virus came back in winter. Are they going to shut everything down again in November?
    Sky said that 98% of people who die have pre-existing conditions.

There might have to be restrictions turned on and off until the virus is under control or we get a vaccine

Wibbs wrote: »
    This plus a thousand. There will always be a whataboutthese[insert group here], but we're literally fighting a war here. We will lose people and we have to support as many people as we can, but we also have to sack the fcuk up here and do what's best for the majority of people.

And I wasn't implying otherwise. Simply acknowledging the difficulty of it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭con747

Will the ***** in the NCT have to close?

No

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement