Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Next time Leo should do two separate announcements. One normal one and then one where he doesn't use any words with more than four letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭RogerThis

paddythere wrote: »
    It's been fine to jog 5 miles away for the last few weeks and it's fine to do it in every other country that is allowing exercise. It's a stupid nonsensical restriction

You could look for a new route, the circumference of a 2km radius is 12.5km.
    I have a nice 8k route in that. Maybe you could check a map and see if there is a route for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

You are dead right, you do what you want,

Can everyine please ignore Paddy from here on..
    Maybe if we stop giving him the attention he will stop missbehaving ..... Works with my kids...

Is paddy not right? Walking 2km and walking 5km? No difference really as long as you are alone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

The country needs to go back to work with restrictions lifted on april 14 regardless. at that stage the damage caused by fighting the virus, will be greater than the virus itself.

Are you serious!!! April 14th we wont even have hit top of curve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Hard border, backstops, single market... those were the days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Here's a SECONDARY reason for adhering to the new restrictions if some don't consider the PRIMARY one important enough -

Foreign investors - "Why not invest in Ireland? they handled themselves very well during the Covid-19 crisis"

Why pull out of Ireland, they shut our factories for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

shinzon wrote: »
    Anyone figure out what this actually means always clear as mud with this lot couldn't they just have spent a few minutes of that speech telling us exactly what these services are rather than the vagueness of it all

Shin

Would imagine it would be those who have remained open so far anyway, food suppliers, health (including vets) , public transport, service stations and mechanics .....prolly throw in security also

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

The country needs to go back to work with restrictions lifted on april 14 regardless. at that stage the damage caused by fighting the virus, will be greater than the virus itself.

I’m curious to what the approach will be as we near that date.

The virus will still be rampant but a hard decision may be required of Leo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mattser

Does it apply to building sites ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

There was no mention of the 1000s of pensioners who have to go out weekly for their pensions at the post office.
    I guess that's seen as essential?

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

If I have to walk the dog within 2km of my house I’ll soon be dead by SUV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

On the list of essential workers...

I'm willing to bet that all american pharma/medical device companies here will stay open even if they've NOTHING to do with helping the situation. Money money money.

People still need medicine and medical devices for other conditions besides Covid19.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,823 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Can people not leave their f*cking running for two weeks and show more concern to the people who are dying of this sh*t?

In the last week I've never seen so many people out running, worst is them going by huffing and puffing all their fluids out at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Can people not leave their f*cking running for two weeks and show more concern to the people who are dying of this sh*t?

As already has been said a guy ran a marathon on his balcony. so try that or your garden

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Vivienne23

shesty wrote: »
    There were no slots available for 6 weeks locally when I checked yesterday.And that was across a couple of shops.
    But look, it may not be an issue. As I said I turned it off before he reached that point. Seems a bit counter-intuitive though.

Our local SuperValu had a slot the other day it’s fierce handy you pull up in your car ring a number and they place it in the boot for you and off you go

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

On the list of essential workers...

I'm willing to bet that all american pharma/medical device companies here will stay open even if they've NOTHING to do with helping the situation. Money money money.

Apart from providing medicines and medical equipment. But who needs those things during a public health crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

A cold weekend forecast.

Night frosts and cool days.

Remember the halcyon days when we used to talk incessantly about storms and Brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

fritzelly wrote: »
    Think 2km is being very generous really - should be grateful it's not like other countries where you are not allowed out except for shopping

I just remembered , I’ve a bit of stuff being delivered to parcel motel over the coming week , most of it is in transit. Suppose I can’t collect it but WTF are they going to do now? A lot of stuff is gonna be sent back......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

In theory, you can run in a circle of c. 12.5 km, so in total you can (in theory) run 16.5km without breaking any rules.

You're welcome.

No Leo said brief exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭ax530

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I'm still not clear on how mandatory these new restrictions now are.

Eg : there's over 150km between my house and my son. If I decide to travel between the 2 tomorrow, is someone actually going to stop me?
    No social visits
    Don't think anyone will stop you but the hope is that people comply why not ? If you can play a part in helping keep some people alive by staying at home do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

7k army, 1k reserves of which alot are deployed for testing, 15k guards.

Take the chases around finglas for example yesterday, that took alot of cars and vans for the guts of over an hour.

A full Chinese LOCKDOWN is unenforceable in Ireland.

Maybe not enforceable but say they had two or three roadblocks in co kilkenny that moved around similar to say the speedcamera van. It would be enough for people to question weather or not they want to risk it. Like drink driving. The chances of getting caught are low but it's a risk most people won't take. In smaller counties if two or three mobile road blocks were deployed and maybe in larger cities have 10-15 the images of it on-line would make enough people question leaving their house.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

RogerThis wrote: »
    You could look for a new route, the circumference of a 2km radius is 12.5km.
    I have a nice 8k route in that. Maybe you could check a map and see if there is a route for yourself.

They said brief physical exercise, not try and come up with stupid f*cking workarounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Rotweiler

You can check the cyclist subforums and see their real drama just because they can not cycle...
    Jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

champchamp wrote: »
    Where's the list of essential work places?

Won’t be released tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

ITman88 wrote: »
    I’m curious to what the approach will be as we near that date.

The virus will still be rampant but a hard decision may be required of Leo

This annoys me. If it's going to be only two weeks then great, but if there's no hope it will be then don't say two weeks and just tell us the truth. People need to be educated with more than just "flatten the curve" at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

#jesuispaddy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭con747

Would you get a grip on reality.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Next time Leo should do two separate announcements. One normal one and then one where he doesn't use any words with more than four letters.

Or maybe just pictures to illustrate the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,765 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The problem is that in their attempt not to panic people (understandable) they've created more questions than answers

If it's an actual lockdown with garda enforcement all he had to say is "from midnight, no travel unless for essential supplies or employment - full list on gov.ie site"

Not generating this back n forth about jogging distances as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Multipass wrote: »
    If I have to walk the dog within 2km of my house I’ll soon be dead by SUV

Don't walk the dog then

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement