Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'd be shocked if they're not sh1te quality

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Wait till we are 8 weeks into Codiv 19 lockdown...

I was having a look at ebay last night and there are very few watches getting bids at the moment. I was going to pounce on a couple but the guilt was too much.

I was planning my own mass clear out but will be holding back until this all settles down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I was having a look at ebay last night and there are very few watches getting bids at the moment. I was going to pounce on a couple but the guilt was too much.

I was planning my own mass clear out but will be holding back until this all settles down.

Anything worth having a look at?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

etxp wrote: »
    Anything worth having a look at?

Best bet is to go searching yourself to be honest.
    My taste is a bit un-eclectic and grounded in the late 50s.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a Seiko turtle. Has anyone on here got one and have any opinions? It might be a bit big and heavy, but I reckon with wrists in the 7 1/2'' range I'll be able for it.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

blue5000 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a Seiko turtle. Has anyone on here got one and have any opinions? It might be a bit big and heavy, but I reckon with wrists in the 7 1/2'' range I'll be able for it.

I have similar sized wrist a bit smaller, the turtle is a tall watch, was too tall for me. The SKX/Seiko 5 are tall but the turtle case is really tall. It was not for me, but I would recommend trying it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Folks!
    Any recommendation for a deployant clasp to fit an 18/19mm fluco strap?

Brushed steel preferred.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I have a PADI turtle and yes, it's definitely a chunky watch but I don't feel it wears particularly big. I find it very nice on the wrist with either a NATO or stock steel bracelet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,
    This maybe dumb question. I thought I'd try the nato that came with my Tudor ranger. How so you adjust the second keeper so the strap will reach it?

IMG-20200318-165140.jpg
    IMG-20200318-165134.jpg
    IMG-20200318-165128.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

@blue5000
    I have a seiko turtle srp773 with a black dial. Have it as my good watch. On a strapcode.
    Have a small wrist and wear it loose and I love it. This is
    big but wears easy

• Advertisement

OldBean wrote: »
    I have a PADI turtle and yes, it's definitely a chunky watch but I don't feel it wears particularly big. I find it very nice on the wrist with either a NATO or stock steel bracelet.

What is the quality of the bracelet like?
    @blue5000
    I have a seiko turtle srp773 with a black dial. Have it as my good watch. On a strapcode.
    Have a small wrist and wear it loose and I love it. This is
    big but wears easy

Any issues lining up the bezel?

Thanks for the replies, found a new PADI for £290 approx. Only thing putting me off is the hardlex crystal. I already have one on my Seiko BFK and it's fairly well gouged at this stage. Lots to like about the turtle though esp the lume. Is the bezel aluminium?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

The bracelet is grand - especially for the price point. I swap it between the NATO and bracelet and don't think I'd ever be looking for a replacement for it.

I wonder if there's any better sales out there - I got my PADI turtle for $290.

I can be hardy enough on my watches and mostly use my Turtle as a beater. There's one very small, slight scratch on the Hardlex after 2 years. Not sure on the aluminum.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,945 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I keep coming back to the Turtle. Bought and sold it twice before (all three times the Pepsi PADI Turtle). Wearing it now on a NATO. It's big but not huge. The one thing is (and fitzgeme mentioned it) that it is very, very deep. I can't imagine it sliding easily under a shirt sleeve.

I bought this last one for just €195. As good as new, with an unworn bracelet in a plastic bag (I haven't yet used it either). Very hard to find a better watch than the Turtle for that sort of money...

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

Personally I would say it's the smallest wearing 45mm Dive watch there is due to it's short lug to lug (open to correction however)

I have worn it with shirts without issue. But it would be taller then a dress watch.

Here it is beside my 39mm Explorer which I have heard some people call too small!

20200319-020232.jpg

20200319-020337.jpg

2shea wrote: »
    Personally I would say it's the smallest wearing 45mm Dive watch there is due to it's short lug to lug (open to correction however)

I have worn it with shirts without issue. But it would be taller then a dress watch.

Here it is beside my 39mm Explorer which I have heard some people call too small!

Am I right in thinking in you have that one up on the block?

Seems to be a lot of out of work/house bound/working from home types on here today:D Does anyone fancy a trip down the M7 for a change of scene?
    506211.jpg

506210.jpg

I could do with someone that's handy with a spanner, for those with lesser skills there will be a few stones to be picked. :(

Payment will be in Seiko 5s:D

Stop off at Obama plaza!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Just when I was getting back into the habit of wearing my watch I have decided to stop wearing it because of the Covid outbreak. Am I being over cautious?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

etxp wrote: »
    Just when I was getting back into the habit of wearing my watch I have decided to stop wearing it because of the Covid outbreak. Am I being over cautious?

I stopped wearing mine just because of the frequency of washing my hands, and i like to wash above my wrists. Wedding ring is off as well purely for hygiene reasons ;)

2shea wrote: »

I've always thought that model explorer to be perfectly proportioned, which is the real question when size is discussed.

What is the quality of the bracelet like?

Any issues lining up the bezel?

Thanks for the replies, found a new PADI for £290 approx. Only thing putting me off is the hardlex crystal. I already have one on my Seiko BFK and it's fairly well gouged at this stage. Lots to like about the turtle though esp the lume. Is the bezel aluminium?

As has been said the bracelet is fine, no issues. The clasp is the old "standard" seiko clasp (stamped), again it's grand but nothing special. Easy to size and fit.

I believe the bezel is indeed aluminium. They have just released a "King Turtle" with saphire crystal and ceramic bezel. Also a cyclops and the dial has a waffle pattern. I believe it's the same movement.

The bezel on mine lined up perfectly well but you can't be sure of this unless you buy in person or persuade the seller to be very discerning in picking yours.

https://gearpatrol.com/2020/02/02/seiko-prospex-king-turtle-dive-watch/

Personally I'd stick with the base model unless the looks of this grab you hard. They're a great watch.

I did sell my own PADI, primarily because I had quite a lot of watches at the time and wasn't wearing it. Divers I kept over it were a MM300 (SBDX001), a Tuna SBN017 and a Planet Ocean 2500, so it was just in a different space to those. The Turtle was supposedly my knockaround diver but over time I was just wearing my Tuna when it came to that kind of thing.

Size was also a factor - the turtle was just too big for my taste. I also sold on a Shogun SBDC029 (44mm) around the same time for more or less the same reason (although the fit of the Shogun bracelet was just very poor for the price point, and it had the same "basic" clasp as you get on far cheaper Seikos, which were also factors - it was a very good watch on a 22mm Isofrane if you liked the size, or I also enjoyed it on an olive green or black rubber Nato).

edit: just recalled that I got my Shogun modded with a saphire crystal - would you believe, Seiko Ireland (Timemark) did this for me after I got a proper gouge in the OEM hardlex (I supplied the replacement crystal). I imagine you might be able to persuade them to install one (readily available on ebay) if the hardlex does annoy you. I've generally been lucky with Seiko hardlex. My MM300 is more or less flawless 10 years later - I have a suspicion they use different grades at different price points. The poor old Shogun did get an absolute horror of a gouge from a concrete wall though.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Rootsblower

Wife won’t let me wear watch now at all due to covid having withdrawal symptoms I feel naked without it though I’m hoping to convince her to allow me wear my Casio calculator watch. She isn’t mad or domineering just has a respiratory condition and I’m mixing with the public in work. Everything is sanitised here, if I stood still long enough I’m sure I’d get a shot of her home brew Milton fluid spray!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I wear my silver trench watch. Silver is not a good host surface for pathogens. Sorted. :D Or I'm boned...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Wibbs wrote: »
    I wear my silver trench watch. Silver is not a good host surface for pathogens. Sorted. :D Or I'm boned...

The radiation may offset the germs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Ryath

Eoin wrote: »
    The radiation may offset the germs

Or cause a new strain!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It'll kill the bastids though. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Wibbs wrote: »
    It'll kill the bastids though. :D
    and the extra finger you'd grow will allow you to type faster..win win!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

and the extra finger you'd grow will allow you to type faster..win win!!

Might grow an extra arm. Could wear 3 watches!

Birneybau wrote: »
    :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Birneybau wrote: »

jgEeCYJ.gif?noredirect

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    As has been said the bracelet is fine, no issues. The clasp is the old "standard" seiko clasp (stamped), again it's grand but nothing special. Easy to size and fit.

I believe the bezel is indeed aluminium. They have just released a "King Turtle" with saphire crystal and ceramic bezel. Also a cyclops and the dial has a waffle pattern. I believe it's the same movement.

The bezel on mine lined up perfectly well but you can't be sure of this unless you buy in person or persuade the seller to be very discerning in picking yours.

https://gearpatrol.com/2020/02/02/seiko-prospex-king-turtle-dive-watch/

Personally I'd stick with the base model unless the looks of this grab you hard. They're a great watch.

I did sell my own PADI, primarily because I had quite a lot of watches at the time and wasn't wearing it. Divers I kept over it were a MM300 (SBDX001), a Tuna SBN017 and a Planet Ocean 2500, so it was just in a different space to those. The Turtle was supposedly my knockaround diver but over time I was just wearing my Tuna when it came to that kind of thing.

Size was also a factor - the turtle was just too big for my taste. I also sold on a Shogun SBDC029 (44mm) around the same time for more or less the same reason (although the fit of the Shogun bracelet was just very poor for the price point, and it had the same "basic" clasp as you get on far cheaper Seikos, which were also factors - it was a very good watch on a 22mm Isofrane if you liked the size, or I also enjoyed it on an olive green or black rubber Nato).

edit: just recalled that I got my Shogun modded with a saphire crystal - would you believe, Seiko Ireland (Timemark) did this for me after I got a proper gouge in the OEM hardlex (I supplied the replacement crystal). I imagine you might be able to persuade them to install one (readily available on ebay) if the hardlex does annoy you. I've generally been lucky with Seiko hardlex. My MM300 is more or less flawless 10 years later - I have a suspicion they use different grades at different price points. The poor old Shogun did get an absolute horror of a gouge from a concrete wall though.

Thanks, doing a bit of research on the king turtle alright. Big jump in the price for the new bezel and saphire crystal. My Damasko has a saphire crystal and ceramic bezel and it has stood up very well to harsh conditions compared to the Seiko BFK with hardlex and aluminium bezel.

• Advertisement

Am I right in thinking in you have that one up on the block?

Seems to be a lot of out of work/house bound/working from home types on here today:D Does anyone fancy a trip down the M7 for a change of scene?

I could do with someone that's handy with a spanner, for those with lesser skills there will be a few stones to be picked. :(

Payment will be in Seiko 5s:D

Stop off at Obama plaza!
    Have to laugh at your posts...couldn't remember your boards id but keep it up.....loads of people at pcs with nice watches , loads of people obviously wearing nice watches at meetings/weddings.

You wear them mucking out and welding :pac::D:P

Advertisement