Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Don't tell Konrad, but I wear the Damasko over the leather glove timing iron ore and charcoal charges when I'm smelting:D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

blue5000 wrote: »
    I could do with someone that's handy with a spanner, for those with lesser skills there will be a few stones to be picked. :(!
    I resemble that description in the first part. And have lesser skills too. Many of them. If you've a half daycent trout holding river or steam near you, colour me feckin there.

506258.JPG

Darth Vader's slow witted brother goes flyfishing. :D
    Don't tell Konrad, but I wear the Damasko over the leather glove timing iron ore and charcoal charges when I'm smelting
    Only the best people do B and I can guarantee Konrad would most certainly approve. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Starting research on the pilot watch,firstly trying to figure out the name of it. I believe some did not have names,but does appear mine had going by the faded text on the dial. Found loads of very similar watches. Have posted it on Watchuseek,wondering like the Bell-Matic forum is there a forum that is focused on this particular type of watch?

Have joined this site as it looks very good,still waiting activation. Someone posted a very similar watch

https://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showthread.php?84331-30s-Pilot-watch-identification

IMG-20181001-214157.jpg

Have it in for a service so will have to make do with current pictures.

xA3G7BN.jpg

Thank You

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The MWR lads are your best bet IP. Great bunch, with some serious knowledge and very welcoming. They even let me post. :eek: :D

I'd reckon the general concensus would be that it's a particularly 1930's European design of pilot's watch. Ribbon lugs, black radium luminous dial, cathedral hands, large crown for winding wearing gloves(many open cockpits back then) and a rotating bezel and pointer to time flight intervals. One of the very first to have this, if not the very first(I can't think of any before it). Nobody has worked out who came up with the design. IT has been described as a "1928 Luftwaffe design, by Hermann Goering". Pity the luftwaffe didn't even exist then... But regardless of origin it's a design used by nearly every Swiss marque at the time. Longines, Zenith, Omega, Breitling, Doxa, Heuer, Mimo(Gerard Perregaux), Helvetia and a host of others. Rolex are about the only brand I can think of that didn't have one. Or it hasn't been found yet. :) Though they seem to be more a mainland and eastern European fashion.

Here's an Omega example from the time.

omega_v1_mana_1.jpg

Note it's worn over the glove and sleeve. The one piece ribbon lugs allowed for the attachment of a longer strap.

Here's top German WW2 ace Adolf Galland wearing one. A good egg and not a raving nazi either, for a nice change.

506260.jpg

Likely a Helvetia.

Here's a certain Bruce Springsteen wearing the same design.

506264.jpeg

Centre seconds so defo a Zenith. And coming full circle like my example of the design.

Stuka-Zenith.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    The MWR lads are your best bet IP. Great bunch, with some serious knowledge and very welcoming. They even let me post. :eek: :D

:eek:

Thank You Wibbs!, owe you(along with everyone on this forum) so much,I'm really grateful for everything :)

That is really cool information, amazing history,this is going to be a fun one,great excuse to re watch some WW2 related movies/documentaries again and do some wrist checking :D

Funny how one interest can cross over to another, like the 20 Reichsmark I have in my collection I got from a antique shop in Wicklow, the stories they could tell...

bq1YLwn.jpg

While I mention it, from Prague, two very different times in history

8QEYcmS.jpg

Love the JU 87 in that picture, always believed the sound they made in a dive was due to aerodynamics,couldn't believe it was actually a siren fitted to the landing gear," Jericho Trumpet "

sVn4tzj.png

https://youtu.be/DAoaWVrec9Y

Also loved flying the G variant when I played War Thunder, 1 shot kills :D not so fun when a spitfire pops up behind, as I'm sure it was back then :pac:

QigWqZu.jpg

• Advertisement

Also loved flying the G variant when I played War Thunder, 1 shot kills :D not so fun when a spitfire pops up behind, as I'm sure it was back then :pac:

QigWqZu.jpg
    I've an original wooden ammo crate for the shells that fired. There wouldn't be many of them left I'd reckon. There would have been few enough even at the time. IIRC there were only around twenty G types operational at once. Though the cannons really screwed with performance they were deadly in the hands of experts. The design and tactics later heavily influenced the Americans when they came up with their A-10 Thunderbolt. I use it as a coffee table(good for storing wine too). Swords into ploughshares. :D I've also a Stuka tailwheel(in the pic above) and the compass and altimeter from one that crashed landed in Kent during the Battle of Britain. Always thought they were a very cool aircraft from the time I was a kid. The more you read behind the wartime allied propaganda of them being useless and archaic the more you see they were an incredibly effective weapons platform that had an impact far beyond their numbers(only about 400 operational at one time).

• Registered Users Posts: 64,901 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The more you read behind the wartime allied propaganda of them being useless and archaic the more you see they were an incredibly effective weapons platform that had an impact far beyond their numbers(only about 400 operational at one time).

If that fool Schicklgruber hadn't decided the Me 262 would be the perfect bomber, we'd all be speaking German now :p

I've an original wooden ammo crate for the shells that fired. There wouldn't be many of them left I'd reckon. There would have been few enough even at the time. IIRC there were only around twenty G types operational at once. Though the cannons really screwed with performance they were deadly in the hands of experts. The design and tactics later heavily influenced the Americans when they came up with their A-10 Thunderbolt. I use it as a coffee table(good for storing wine too). Swords into ploughshares. :D I've also a Stuka tailwheel(in the pic above) and the compass and altimeter from one that crashed landed in Kent during the Battle of Britain. Always thought they were a very cool aircraft from the time I was a kid. The more you read behind the wartime allied propaganda of them being useless and archaic the more you see they were an incredibly effective weapons platform that had an impact far beyond their numbers(only about 400 operational at one time).

Saw in a documentary the pilots were taking Pervitin to help when in a dive,along with German army.Scary stuff:eek:

Ab2EWfJ.jpg

Also watched this video recently about Hitlers doctor Theodor Morell,in the last footage of Hitler where his arm is shaking,people taught it was Parkinson's disease,now it is believed it could of been drug withdraw due to the lack of supply of drugs and Morell left the Bunker.

https://youtu.be/qGIsjHS1pTY?t=2283

Also another great watch on Reinhard Heydrich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgFBRxQ1S_o

Back to Watches:D ,remembered a great scene in the film Von Ryan's Express,were the Gestapo trades cigarettes for the watch :p

SoDGLZ4.jpg

First time i saw a Bf 108 was in the film,thinking when i first saw it ,"Thats a funny looking Bf 109"

gqjRXqG.jpg

Also Edward Mulhare,born in Cork:), who plays the padre later stars as Devon Miles in Knight Rider :cool:

cLVgTDc.jpg

EiFyJSa.jpg

Also speaking of German aircraft, saw this in Aeronautical Museum Methodius Vlach Mladá Boleslav

Fieseler Fi 156

Sx342pP.jpg

IoCV88c.jpg

Same type of plane that was used to fly Benito Mussolini to Berlin after being captured,Otto Skorzeny squeezed in for the ride,plane could barley take off with the 3 of them including the pilot

qq7YgbN.jpg

AhQda87.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Re: The pervitin, whole swathes of Germany's population and armed forces were using it from the mid 30's on.

Armed forces for prolonged combat, same as pilots.
    German pilots particularly later in the war were not rotated as we're UK/US pilots.
    Most late war pilots fought nearly constantly until shot down or grounded.

There was a nation of Meth Heads and Hitler in particular was on quite a huge cocktail of drugs.

Saw in a documentary the pilots were taking Pervitin to help when in a dive,along with German army.Scary stuff:eek:
    Yeah they could pull some G pulling out of a dive alright. They had an automatic pull out system with a basic dive computer. You'd input various parameters and if you blacked out the aircraft would pull up for you, though pilots didn't trust it so rarely used it. More of a gung ho thing too. Unlike most aircraft it was very stable in a dive and didn't feel like you were tipping over, even at 90 degrees straight down going nearly 400 mph, whereas most aircraft past 70 degrees would feel hairy. Could take stupid amounts of damage and keep flying too. One guy flying in fog smacked into a forest pulled out only to find six feet of pine tree sticking out of a wing. Which would focus the mind and relax the bowels. Got home though. Yes they were vulnerable to fighters, but until the Mosquito came out all bombers were and I'd much rather be in one of them than a Lancaster or B17.

One Stuka ace by the name of Rudel(total nazi prick mind you) used his Stuka to blow up a battleship, a cruiser, a destroyer, 70 landing craft, 800 cars, trucks and other military vehicles, 150 artillery positions and over 500 tanks. That's the makings of a small nations army and navy. On his own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hey all,
    Wanted to post about Natos. I never liked the look of them on a watch and felt they'd be fiddly but the one that came with my Tudor ranger has sewn in spring bars. I'm not mad about the camoflage pattern but it's actually super comfortable to wear. So much so I'm going to try and source a black one to match the watch better..consider me converted to NATO straps. At least the ones with spring bars sewn in.
    Cheers,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Got my seamaster back, a weak euro made it a less palatable payment than originally envisgaed at €660 all in. Full service, second hand attached, losing time issue fixed and a new crown was the work done. They polished it up beautifully and it looks like new so I got over the kick in the wallet. I knew I missed it but there is something very reassuring about the weight on the wrist. Had a good goo at the moonies on display while waiting for the paperwork, lovely things. Payday soon again so that weak euro will be on my side again next week which is important to remember.

Just thought I'd share a little snap of my auld BF108 and Me 109 and 110 models :) on the back of the pervitin and Luftwaffe chat ;)
    506391.jpg

banie01 wrote: »
    Just thought I'd share a little snap of my auld BF108 and Me 109 and 110 models :)

I was only looking at Tamiya and Revell models this evening as something to pass time, it's a sign!

I was only looking at Tamiya and Revell models this evening as something to pass time, it's a sign!

Majority of my own collection is diecast 1:72 but I have a nice little collection of Tamiya, Airfix and Revell bits I made some years ago.

I actually have a pile of Aircraft Model magazines that could be a great gateway into modelling if you want them?
    At least a 100 of them, no more use to me ;)

banie01 wrote: »
    Majority of my own collection is diecast 1:72 but I have a nice little collection of Tamiya, Airfix and Revell bits I made some years ago.

I actually have a pile of Aircraft Model magazines that could be a great gateway into modelling if you want them?
    At least a 100 of them, no more use to me ;)

I'm a few more miles away from you than I once was. Hold that thought...

Last year a good mate of mine(who's won prizes for his models) dropped off a FW190 model Tamiya IIRC. Been a lifetime since I once stuck a placcy kit together. Quite therapeutic. No airbrush sadly so going old fashioned with brushes. :)

506396.jpg

Sitting on a first edition copy of Kurt Tank's autobiography(he who designed it). A good few years back I sought out the early just post war memoirs of pilots from both sides, before they got more edited.

506404.JPG

The "Stuka Pilot" one was first printed in Dublin, because no British publisher would touch it. Though it has a foreword by Douglas Bader. Then again he was a right C U Next Tuesday himself... Adolf Galland was the only decent bloke among that lot. Gives a much more nuanced take with it.

And given the forum that's in it...

506397.jpg

Funny enough the Stuka tail wheel I have would also fit one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Enjoyed the last few pages, the depth of knowledge here is amazing. I recently watched a
    ww2 training film on how to get a Voight F4 to fly. Talk about task loading. The pilot did all the engine management, regulating intake pressures etc. The watch on his wrist was the easy part.
    Charles Lindberg appeared out with the first F4 pilots as a civilian developed the techniques to save fuel and therefore increase the reach of the F4. He also flew combat missions and engaged the enemy.
    I can see Panzer Schoklade making a comeback, used extensively during blitzkrieg, I believe, I may be wrong.

I'll try to pull an SOTC together tomorrow.

njburke wrote: »
    Enjoyed the last few pages, the depth of knowledge here is amazing. I recently watched a
    ww2 training film on how to get a Voight F4 to fly. Talk about task loading. The pilot did all the engine management, regulating intake pressures etc. The watch on his wrist was the easy part.
    Charles Lindberg appeared out with the first F4 pilots as a civilian developed the techniques to save fuel and therefore increase the reach of the F4. He also flew combat missions and engaged the enemy.
    I can see Panzer Schoklade making a comeback, used extensively during blitzkrieg, I believe, I may be wrong.

I'll try to pull an SOTC together tomorrow.

The Brits were the 1st to fly the Corsair from carriers.
    The Yanks designed it as a 400mph naval fighter but initially couldn't get carrier clearance for it.
    Big wing made it a bit "floaty" on trying to hit the arrestor wire and long stroke undercarriage made it quite bouncy.
    That coupled with a long nose, that made the LSO hard to see on approach, meant the US MC were the 1st to fly it and then from land based.

The Brits got hold of some for the FAA, and thanks to some mad test pilots and actual operational experience, got it flying from carriers.
    They clipped the wing, originally to fit into smaller UK hanger deck, that cured the float.
    Modified the oleo stroke in the landing gear to tame the bounce.
    Then completely changed how they flew the landing approach differently, curved in a slight bank with offset rudder to keep the LSO in sight.

Landing method was then copied by the USN.

It's one of my favourite piston aircraft, have about 4 models :)

Really great collections posted on here,from a very interesting time in history.

My Great Grandfathers,during the Emergency period

sqHAm5H.jpg

mnqCbYc.jpg

mRhwKSO.jpg

https://www.theirishstory.com/2018/05/21/the-emergency-a-brief-overview/#.XnVLB4j7SUk

http://www.irishmedals.ie/WW2-Emergency-Medals.php

Interesting to learn many planes actually crashed in Ireland

He 111 crashed in Waterford 1941

BVogTgn.jpg

Cool site that has a map of different crash sites

http://www.ww2irishaviation.com/

http://www.curragh.info/klines.htm

http://www.waterfordmuseum.ie/exhibit/web/DisplayPrintableImage/K0bEWQwIMJtxo/

Also not anything to do with the madness in Germany......

cJLloRs.jpg

:pac:

Even won against them in football

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/ireland-5-germany-2-when-nazi-salutes-took-over-dalymount-park-1.3678273%3fmode=amp

fDNpfLI.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

The german war graveyard is up in Glencree in Co. Wicklow(near Enniskerry)...beautiful peaceful spot....mainly Lufftwaffe with a few sailors from the Kriegsmarine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

Re: IrishPlayer's post above #971...Is Mulhare wearing a Guinness tie..? Looks suspiciously like it to me...?

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Guinness-Irish-Brewery-Ireland-Tie-by-Tootal/202811937357?hash=item2f3888924d:g:7v8AAOSwENZduzQC

The shame of it...a Cork man wearing a Dublin tie!!!!!

LOL!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Giani Agnelli, was an Italian businessman (Fiat & Juventus) of the late-20th century who was also a style icon of his era famous for wearing his watches over is shirt cuff.

I sometimes do this when in a long-sleeve cycling jersey but it's for practical purposes rather than style.

Anyone like to see this 'style' of watch wearing revived?

506445.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,731 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Giani Agnelli, was an Italian businessman (Fiat & Juventus) of the late-20th century who was also a style icon of his era famous for wearing his watches over is shirt cuff.

I sometimes do this when in a long-sleeve cycling jersey but it's for practical purposes rather than style.

Anyone like to see this 'style' of watch wearing revived?

506445.jpg

He also wore hiking boots with his suit

Not for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Cyrus wrote: »
    He also wore hiking boots with his suit

Not for me

The suit isn't for me but I like a good pair of hiking boots.

506488.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭893bet

Speculator below getting nervous or else collector in Financial trouble....not sure which but 3 Rolex and a hublot listed are once......be a long time waiting for they hulk to sell....

https://www.adverts.ie/20037128

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

What is best way to get a watch posted from the UK including insurance coverage?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

What is best way to get a watch posted from the UK including insurance coverage?

What value? Royal Mail will insure up to 2.5K or so

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Thanks - it should be under that limit but I'm only seeing up to 250GBP on Royal Mail's website

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Check out this page https://www.royalmail.com/price-finder

It's not cheap at all once you're going outside the UK (probably at least 10x the price of within the UK), but it is possible to get insured up to GBP2500.

Advertisement