Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Can you get it posted to NI and drive up for it?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Thanks for the suggestions - very helpful.

Would normally go collect in person but travel is so tricky these days I'll just pay the extra to get it at home

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

banie01 wrote: »
    Folks!
    Any recommendation for a deployant clasp to fit an 18/19mm fluco strap?

Brushed steel preferred.

Any suggestions at all?
    I've been traveling AliExpress and the bay but I'm a little wary of the thickness of the strap I want to use the deployment clasp on.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

I was looking up something on All The President's Men 1976, really great film.When i was in Washington D.C in July 2011 made sure to visit Watergate

faqm4Dj.jpg

Also went to The Kennedy Centre and the J Egar Hoover FBI Building,some of the locations [Link]
    Given it was set during the 1970's i was interested to see the watches.

VDqQlVJ.jpg

Robert Redford Rolex Submariner,from his own collection [Link]

yqPwJEG.jpg

Dustin Hoffman is wearing the actual watch that Carl Bernstein wore during Watergate that he got as a high school graduation president,also used his actual wallet from the time.Taken from the special features from my dvd of the film about the making of the film and how the actors met them in real life and got to know them in preparation for the film.

Speaking of another Rolex in movies,was watching The Man With The Golden Gun as part of going through all the Bond film's before No Time To Die was to be released before it was delayed,looked at Christopher Lee's (Scaramanga) watch

VDsXw2g.jpg

It has been suggested it is a Rolex Cellini,but appears to be a Piaget [Link]

Roger Moore's Rolex Submariner

YCMDzZk.jpg

Always wondered why did Rolex change to the smaller 12 o clock marker, much preferred the bigger marker.

Another watch worth a mention in the film,before there was "The Brad Pitt"

IHLrkCm.jpg

there was J.W. Pepper....

hcp2lpr.jpg

[Link]

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Free bump for the ad - I'd take that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Don’t you just hate it when you get a notification on a listing only to find it’s some winker leaving a sh1te comment ruining the listing

https://www.adverts.ie/18900618

Kinda like some winkers who change their selling price to €1 after an item sells, ruining any chance to see guide prices ;);)

Sorry couldn't help myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

I think once a seller has more than 100 feedbacks it’s should unlock the power to moderate your own adds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

If anyone was mulling over offloading a Bambino gen 2 v1 I'd be interested ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Don’t you just hate it when you get a notification on a listing only to find it’s some winker leaving a sh1te comment ruining the listing

Indeed, a tosser of the highest order.

However, by what stretch of the imagination is a 200m-certified diver classed as a dress watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

would you class that as a sports watch ?
    just because a watch says 200m water resistance i dont think it is automatically classed a certified diver and it doesnt have a divers wetsuit extension.

when i worked in hatton garden a few years ago the tag link was always in amongst the dress watches

i personally wore the watch with a shirt or suit but each to their own i guess

Indeed, I would.

I know Tag in particular gets some stick about its own segmentation, but without some two-tone or other bling, I would have said that is definitely a sports watch. A bracelet is just a bracelet, so wouldn't be worried about it not having a wet suit extension but the 200m certification is genuine.

I have not tested it to those kinds of depths, but I have had a Tag Heuer F1 Pro chrono down to the maximum PADI diving limits while doing an Advanced Open Water course. It is still good some 18 years later :)

Very nice piece, BTW. What movement is in it? Is it a HAQ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Just my 2c but while I'd officially class it as a diver wearing one on a bracelet or leather strap is considered "dressy" and acceptable with suits these days IMO from most people

In my own personal opinion a lot of divers can really double as a dress watch these days

Think I've seen Pierce Brosnan blamed in some sites for it :pac: A lot point to him wearing the Omega Seamaster in Tomorrow Never Dies for "starting" it, whether its true I don't know

If I'm being honest most I see wearing watches with suits tend to be all some sort of diver with a bracelet but then again watches are more jewellery now for men and women so they want something blingy

• Registered Users Posts: 64,790 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I wish there weren't any classifications on adverts. Casual, dress, sports, vintage? Sometimes it is very hard to pigeonhole a watch into one of these classifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

would you class that as a sports watch ?
    just because a watch says 200m water resistance i dont think it is automatically classed a certified diver and it doesnt have a divers wetsuit extension.

when i worked in hatton garden a few years ago the tag link was always in amongst the dress watches

i personally wore the watch with a shirt or suit but each to their own i guess

Even if it isn't the most practical watch for diving, its undeniably a diver in style. For me that would make it a sports/tool watch rather than a dress watch. Strictly speaking a dress watch should probably have a leather strap, but i think models like the DJ and DD certainly cross into the dress watch area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

By price for me one level to consider the other to dream.

Does anyone even search for watches using the classification system on adverts ?
    I never search for dress or casual but rather the brand name of the watch I’m looking for

Tbh i didn't even realise there was a classification system until now :D

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

Cleaned that up for you now

Time wrote: »
    Tbh i didn't even realise there was a classification system until now :D

You never sold a watch there then? ;)

unkel wrote: »
    You never sold a watch there then? ;)

No I’m not one to sell. I’m great at losing them though!

banie01 wrote: »
    Any suggestions at all?
    I've been traveling AliExpress and the bay but I'm a little wary of the thickness of the strap I want to use the deployment clasp on.

Any use?

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/deployment-deployant-clasps-18-20-22mm-5154033.html

Maybe google watch prince, or ask the seller for a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

blue5000 wrote: »
    Any use?

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/deployment-deployant-clasps-18-20-22mm-5154033.html

Maybe google watch prince, or ask the seller for a link.

You're a star Blue ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Just watched a YouTube review of the Sinn U1 I may have to sell one of my children.

dinorebel wrote: »
    Just watched a YouTube review of the Sinn U1 I may have to sell one of my children.
    What is the kidney market like at present?

blue5000 wrote: »
    What is the kidney market like at present?

I don't know, but I'd say you can get that watch for two rolls of toilet paper and one bottle of hand soap :p

Haha, micks_address now making an offer on the 214270 on adverts? How much did you offer? Looks like the seller wasn't pleased with what you had to say :D

He should have taken the €4,700 I offered him two months ago. That was almost on a par with what a dealer would get when advertising a watch on chrono24. Now the watch would barely be worth €4k imho. More of course again in a few months time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

unkel wrote: »
    Haha, micks_address now making an offer on the 214270 on adverts? How much did you offer? Looks like the seller wasn't pleased with what you had to say :D

He should have taken the €4,700 I offered him two months ago. That was almost on a par with what a dealer would get when advertising a watch on chrono24. Now the watch would barely be worth €4k imho. More of course again in a few months time.

Looks like it was not a fruitful negotiation. Look any experienced seller will know to hold for the moment, you would want to be stressed to the max to offload right now, as the vultures are around thinking that 5 euro and a bag of crisps is a good offer on a rolex cause they have suddenly become worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

Looks like it was not a fruitful negotiation. Look any experienced seller will know to hold for the moment, you would want to be stressed to the max to offload right now, as the vultures are around thinking that 5 euro and a bag of crisps is a good offer on a rolex cause they have suddenly become worthless.

Just having a chat really. Was curious about potentially trading my aqua Terra and Tudor ranger.. honestly I just have to much time on my hands at the moment :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

aqua Terra and Tudor ranger.)

The tudor didnt last long :D.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

The tudor didnt last long :D.....

I'm happy out with it to be honest. Have a black nato arriving Monday for it. I spend to much time on watch classifieds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

No one is really buying or selling at the moment. There was a little sell off but seems to have stalled now. The crash has been so fast and hard it caught buyers and sellers on the hop. Uncharted ground.

Will take a while before some sort equilibrium is reached. Sellers will need to sell at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

For all you peasants out there without a radio controlled casio, dont forget to change the time tonight:D

Advertisement