Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

• 26-04-2019 7:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I was surprised to see that we won't have a general chat thread. Sometimes what you want to say doesn't really fit in any of the existing topics. Hopefully this becomes useful.

So for me I'm intrigued by the Lip watches Wibbs posted about and am now thinking about getting one of those.

*Title courtesy of Spocker

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well here's what looks to be a new old stock one, in black. Electronic movement(not quartz) for 240 quid. They usually go for near double that and I'm surprised it's not sold yet(the modern homages cost 200). So there you go. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Ionised

OmegaGene wrote: »
    so who is using a watch winder ? i find them handy for the autos in rotation but some people dont seem to agree with them, after a crown stem snapped on me ive been using one since

I have six watches on winders.

It allows me to grab a different watch on the way out of the door if I get the urge.
    Reckon I'd be less likely to change if I didn't have them ready and waiting.

That said, I do get a certain pleasure out of manually winding and resetting when I have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I'm currently obsessed with the below, I'd gladly give a testicle for one of these:

939f8d3eccf41139.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I don't get on with automatics. There, I've said it. :mad::D Can always feel the weight flapping around on my sensitive snowflake wrist. Never kept one for very long. Handwinders all the way. Don't like Mercedes hands either. Though oddly love cathedral hands.

cathedral-hands-with-luminescence.jpg

Yup.

Hands_Gun_Metal_grande.jpg?v=1534747727

Nope.

And don't get me started on sites like Hodinkee(WatchUSeek not so far off). With "experts", IE dealers amping up "values" on vintage stuff sold by other dealers and price gouging the newbies and buggering the market. Read a few Bring a Loupe articles and they regularly take the piss with prices. Their online shop takes the biscuit with it. And newbies and American aspirational types buy into it.

/Rant. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Wibbs wrote: »
    Don't like Mercedes hands either.

Good job blasphemy was removed as a punishable crime from the constitution..

But sure .. blasphemer..🀪

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

How much roughly will it cost to get a Black bay serviced?

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

funkyouup wrote: »
    How much roughly will it cost to get a Black bay serviced?

What movement is it? The in-house or ETA? Also do you care if its serviced by RSC/Tudor or not?

It was a hypothetical question to be honest, a friend asked me how much it would cost to get one serviced if he was to buy one and i have no idea seen as ive never spent more than 500 on a watch. Ive no idea what version he was looking at.

It was a hypothetical question to be honest, a friend asked me how much it would cost to get one serviced if he was to buy one and i have no idea seen as ive never spent more than 500 on a watch. Ive no idea what version he was looking at.

Well generally the ETA would be cheaper because you can get those serviced more widely that the in house, if you sent it into Tudor it'll cost the same either way.

How much is it if its sent to the manufacturer?

• Advertisement

How much is it if its sent to the manufacturer?

Possibly around 250-300 from Tudor with no case refinishing more like 400 with, whereas the ETA you'd get done for closer to half that.

I was actually expecting it to me more like 500 to send it back to the factory, thanks ill pass it on.

Seen this on Reddit, he said he dropped it and the numerals fell off:pac:

479267.jpg

This guy does a decent impression of Archie Luxury -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWbljZ4OGxU

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

OmegaGene wrote: »
    So the guards were busy boys today and they seem proud to have found some luxury watches but I think they found a pile of fake rubbish

I seen that too and I also think you are correct about them finding scrap, wannabes gangsters with fake watches. Is the one with the green dial meant to be a sea dweller and that Daytona

Haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭wandererz

Two vintages packed & ready to be shipped to Michael Swift in Scotland for a overhaul / service. Bye-bye for a few months.

479565.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭micks_address

wandererz wrote: »
    Two vintages packed & ready to be shipped to Michael Swift in Scotland for a overhaul / service. Bye-bye for a few months.

479565.jpg

Both beautiful

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I found this and had to share it here, post no 441 ;)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057975914&page=30

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,201 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Does anybody ever have security in mind when out? I'm heading to London and debating whether or not to wear the Speedmaster Pro.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a worrywort and I'm as likely to be mugged for it here as much as there.

Just curious if the thought ever enters anyone else's mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭micks_address

Birneybau wrote: »
    Does anybody ever have security in mind when out? I'm heading to London and debating whether or not to wear the Speedmaster Pro.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a worrywort and I'm as likely to be mugged for it here as much as there.

Yeah I'm thinking about this at the moment. I'm collecting a seamaster aqua Terra from a friend in Boston in few weeks and I'm staying in an apartment there for the summer..I think it will be going everywhere I go!

We have a week in Disney world though in the middle so debating what to do with it that week. Also wondering about what watch to bring to the US..thinking my g shock all metal..

• Advertisement

It depends where in London you are, your unlikely to get targeted just for the watch, if someone was specifically targeting watches there’s no shortage of people walking around the City with AP ROO, Nautilus’, Daytona’s etc..

If your in very rough parts of London then I’d say don’t wear it, but I’d also say don’t walk around on your own too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,201 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I'm genuinely not saying that I'm worried about wearing it (staying in Brixton), just seeing if anyone else ever thinks about the value of a watch on their arm.

Sometimes I do BB, but that would the ones with a sentimental attachment for me rather than "value". But more about bashing one into something. :) I don't have any obvious "valuable" watches though. Maybe my Heuer BUND, the Heuer part might get attention if someone got up close and personal. Though once I was wearing it and a woman who I was chatting to noticed it(a very rare thing) and asked me about it and when she got a closer look asked me was it a cheaper watch because it wasn't a "TAG Whooer". :)

TBH if I were sporting a Rolex I'd be more concerned. A little anyway.

Love the bezel.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

You'll be fine! no-one will want to mug you for an Omega :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,303 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Seriously considering a semi decent birth-year watch for my forthcoming "landmark" birthday.
    Then I had a brainwave, buy a birth year watch for the kid and put it away until his 21st!

Nothing at all catching my for either '79 or 2004 though.
    TBH, I don't even know that I actually want another watch. More that my Mrs is asking constantly and I want peace :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

banie01 wrote: »
    Seriously considering a semi decent birth-year watch for my forthcoming "landmark" birthday.
    Then I had a brainwave, buy a birth year watch for the kid and put it away until his 21st!

Nothing at all catching my for either '79 or 2004 though.
    TBH, I don't even know that I actually want another watch. More that my Mrs is asking constantly and I want peace :D

Looks like you have the misfortune of having to go for an early ish digital watch:(

Happy 40th!

Looks like you were a year too early for a swatch, https://www.swatch.com/en_us/explore/swatch-chronology/1979/

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Knowledgeable people, talk to me about replacement glass and where to get it.

I was handed a watch yesterday. An Armani AR-1974 chronograph. Like this stolen picture.

wthhr8.jpg

The glass is buggered so needs replacing. Seems like it should be a simple job to replace, I just need to source the glass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,303 ✭✭✭✭banie01

blue5000 wrote: »
    Looks like you have the misfortune of having to go for an early ish digital watch:(

Happy 40th!

Looks like you were a year too early for a swatch, https://www.swatch.com/en_us/explore/swatch-chronology/1979/

I'm thinking a digital alright, wouldn't bother me especially in a red diode type :pac:
    Can be my wrist Cylon! Nearly the same year too I think.

Advertisement