Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

banie01 wrote: »
    I liquidated all my stocks to cash in December!
    I'd love to say it was as I had a prophetic insight into this crash...

It wasn't, I was approaching a deemed disposal anyway and honestly thought a dip was coming, a dip not this bloodbath.

Moved it all to cash, did the same with my crypto last month.
    All clever and astute of me, had my buys set to come back in at a lowest trigger of €7750...

So they've all triggered now and carried on to a low of €5k!

It's been an interesting day!

Still room for more fun too!

May buy a watch out of the upside yet tho :pac:

I've €10k in liquid cash sitting in a credit union back in Ireland, time to buy I wonder? I've never bought shares before so haven't a clue but would like to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I've €10k in liquid cash sitting in a credit union back in Ireland, time to buy I wonder? I've never bought shares before so haven't a clue but would like to learn.

Bitcoin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Shares are somewhat gambling, espically if your looking for a quick profit. I do a little bit and I convince myself that I have studied the data and can predict the future...but honestly the casual trader tends to be lagging behind the market and we make money on the rise or lose it on the fall. At the moment the credit union is not a bad place for it.

Shares are somewhat gambling, espically if your looking for a quick profit. I do a little bit and I convince myself that I have studied the data and can predict the future...but honestly the casual trader tends to be lagging behind the market and we make money on the rise or lose it on the fall. At the moment the credit union is not a bad place for it.

I've more here but with the falling Euro it makes sense to hold on to it while the Euro is weakening. I held off changing about €3k last week and got an extra €60 when the euro dropped 2 days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,570 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I see extp is championing BTC, on this morning's price at €4750 I'd say yep but what do I know...
    I could buy Unkel's Tesla with the uncrystalized losses I've racked up this week ;)

Still not really lost anything unless I sell, shares are the same!
    It's only a "loss" if you lock it in and sell. Bitcoiners hodl and investors hold.
    Don't get sucked in to day trading on either.

The value on shares at the moment is there to be had, I do think if you are a long term investor.

There is further to fall yet, but my own thought is that a buy and hold on an ETF or company now could well be a nice long term position.
    I'd avoid financials and Boeing but there is value out there for long term.

The main risk coming down the line with actions taken by the central banks will be inflationary pressure. Quickest way for them to pay off the fiscals interventions taken will be to inflate it away via QE.

Buy a Rolex! Or 2 :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I see extp is championing BTC, on this morning's price at €4750 I'd say yep but what do I know...
    I could buy Unkel's Tesla with the uncrystalized losses I've racked up this week ;)

It's only a "loss" if you lock it in and sell. Bitcoiners hodl and investors hold.

The value on shares at the moment is there to be had, I do think if you are a long term investor.

There is further to fall yet, but my own thought is that a buy and hold on an ETF or company now could well be a nice long term position.

The main risk coming down the line with actions taken by the central banks will be inflationary pressure. Quickest way for them to pay off the fiscals interventions taken will be to inflate it away via QE.

I have no knowledge of Bitcoin other than in the last 3 weeks its halved in value. I think a lot of company's are taking a hit, if this is due to the Sars-cov-2 outbreak then they are probably going to dip more in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Wanted to order a couple of straps online (a NATO and a leather strap) and was just about to click the pay button when I realised the balance in my PayPal account was just under what was needed. Didn't want to use my CC in conjunction with PP so stopped to top up and the next day got an email from the vendor offering me a 15% discount if I went ahead with the purchase.

Have I accidently hit upon a potential way of getting unsolicited discounts from online vendors?

I'd originally planned on locking money into prize bonds but never got around to setting up an account when I was in Ireland last Christmas.

I'll PM you to stop going off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭micks_address

Wanted to order a couple of straps online (a NATO and a leather strap) and was just about to click the pay button when I realised the balance in my PayPal account was just under what was needed. Didn't want to use my CC in conjunction with PP so stopped to top up and the next day got an email from the vendor offering me a 15% discount if I went ahead with the purchase.

Have I accidently hit upon a potential way of getting unsolicited discounts from online vendors?
    I often get it if I leave something in a shopping cart...next day or couple of hours later...can we help you finish your purchase

OmegaGene wrote: »
    prize bonds are crap, we have loads and never get a penny

They seem to have died a death alright.

On a watch note my Seamaster will be ready soon. Really missing it on my wrist. I miss it during the work day as I feel it looks professional with the shirt and tie.

On a related note, I have noticed a lot of locals here wearing Aigner watches, mainly ladies. What is this brand like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

After talking with Damian on Tuesday about my Heuer stopwatch and interested to visit the shop,took a trip out to Fairview today.

eFrUIGE.jpg

Really nice guy,absolute pleasure talking with him. Took a look at the stopwatch as he was thinking the spring was not broken due to resistance on the crown, maybe just oil to free it,no luck something else wrong,might look into it again.

Fortunately,far from a wasted trip:) ,got talking for ages,keeping him from his work:o Took me back and showed me his work bench and loads of parts

Woxm8Qd.jpg

obPGy7H.jpg

<snip> (:o Really sorry about that mistake.)

Asked before was it okay taking pictures as was little worried,no problem at all.Mentioned how i first got interested in watches with my Grandfathers Tissot Seastar he got from his job after 25 years,sitting on his bench just after finishing it,customer told it couldn't be repaired by another shop.....

nkIxo6p.jpg

Really enjoyed both the presentation on Tuesday and my trip today,hope more events will happen,maybe the college can be reopened someday, and to get a chance to meet more people with the same interests.

More pictures

https://imgur.com/a/4vgZ8aG

uCMYiIX.jpg

Live not too far from Duggan's and it just so happens about ten days ago I was walking past and stopped to look in the window. He seems to have a thing for Citizen judging by the display. Found the "Ears pierced while you wait" sign amusing in a quaint old-fashioned way.
    Didn't go in but will the next time I'm passing. Nice to know there's a watch repairer within walking distance.

BTW there's a note with a guy's name and mobile number visible in that second photo. Maybe it might be a good idea to edit it out of the pic.

Thats a messy work bench for a precision job.....the chaos :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Thats a messy work bench for a precision job.....the chaos :)

I imagine if he cleaned it up he would immediately forget where stuff was.

That's how my brain seems to function anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058061203 - this might be helpful for people who wanted to buy watch tools/straps etc. £5 off Amazon £25 spend.

An organised work area, is an organised brain. I am not a watchmaker, but any ones I have seen are super organised, super clean. The dust in that place the the crooked photos on the wall would put me off leaving anything of value there to be fixed. BTW the original photo showed a lot more and it was a mess.

george-daniels-at-the-bench-on-which-the-grand-complication-6ccec058-7d34-4e34-9e49-5eedcc327a8c_s600x0_q80_noupscale.jpg

02MCGONIGLE-INYT1-superJumbo.jpg

The chap in Dunlaoighre has been there years, isnt an open place so I have never been in.

Anyone noticed a run on ADs, or long lines of people forming outside Weir's?

Should I get down there and order a Patek before the panic buying starts? When the virus really hits will you still be able to get a tourbillon? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭893bet

Anyone noticed a run on ADs, or long lines of people forming outside Weir's?

Should I get down there and order a Patek before the panic buying starts? When the virus really hits will you still be able to get a tourbillon? :eek:

It’s too late for that. All Rolex and Patek have sold out.

The news said the shelves will be filled overnight but I am not so sure.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Omega are releasing some new limited run Special Editions.

s-l300.jpg

Including of course their special Apollo commemorative edition, limited to existing customers.

p480a.jpg

Patek are ramping up to meet the need too.

bc28887cf47620b7a843a86f1c74d2b2.jpg

As are Hublot.

a-communal-sponge-on-a-stick-photo-u4?w=650&q=50&fm=pjpg&fit=crop&crop=faces

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Quick question. I have my first winding watch. It's a Seiko NH35a movement

What I'm wondering is in regards to the date.

Say I haven't used it in a week and have a few days to cycle.

Is it ok turn the hands from 9pm to past 12am to change the date then turn the crown and hands anticlockwise back to before 9pm then go forwards again to change the date, repeat as desired?

I seen that somewhere as a "fast way" to date change and not having to be cycling the full 24 hours

But I'd be afraid maybe it might cause damage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Ryath

The recommendation is not to set the date between 21:00 and 4:00 There's a quickset for date on first click when you pull out the crown.

https://www.timemodule.com/upload/PDF/NH35_TG_E.pdf

1.How to set the time
    1) Pull out the crown to the second click position. …Cal.NH35 & NH36 & NH37
    Pull out the crown to the first click position. …Cal.NH38 & NH39
    2) Turn the crown to set hour and minute hands.
    (Check that AM / PM is set correctly.)
    3)Push the crown back into the normal position.

2.How to set the Date …Cal.NH35 & NH36 & NH37
    1) Pull out the crown to the first click position.
    2) Turn the crown to left for date setting.
    3) Turn the crown to right for day setting. …Cal.NH36 only
    *Do not set the date between 9:00 P.M. and 4:00 A.M. as this will cause a malfunction.

3)Push the crown back into the normal position.
    3.To wind up the mainspring
    a) Manual winding … Rotate the crown clockwise at normal position.
    Wind turning the ratchet wheel screw 8 times. It will start to move naturally after shaking slightly.
    b) To wind up with winding machine.
    Full wind up conditions
    ・Rotary speed : 30 rpm
    ・Operating time : 60 rpm

Quick question. I have my first winding watch. It's a Seiko NH35a movement

What I'm wondering is in regards to the date.

Say I haven't used it in a week and have a few days to cycle.

Is it ok turn the hands from 9pm to past 12am to change the date then turn the crown and hands anticlockwise back to before 9pm then go forwards again to change the date, repeat as desired?

I seen that somewhere as a "fast way" to date change and not having to be cycling the full 24 hours

But I'd be afraid maybe it might cause damage

https://calibercorner.com/seiko-caliber-nh35a/

Found this Smiths automatic in a box of junk. It had a broken bracelet on it which I eventually managed to remove from the seized spring bars. It works, meaning the seconds hand goes round and the movement (Japan) has 7 jewels and says 'unadjusted'.
    505690.JPG
    505691.JPG

If I were to sell it on eBay should I describe it as "A rare vintage 1960s Smiths automatic in working order"? :rolleyes:

I'm open to suggestions for 'adjustments' to the description???? :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

CT don't forget to put 'No returns' on the listing, take the green springbar off as well! Start it at 99p.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    CT don't forget to put 'No returns' on the listing, take the green springbar off as well! Start it at 99p.

I was thinking along the lines of new spring bars and putting it on a cheap but cheerful James Bond NATO. Then I could list it as "COLLECTOR'S ITEM!! Rare VINTAGE SMITHS Automatic wrist watch with AMAZING patina, recently serviced and in full working order." :D

505749.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I had one returned because it looked smaller in real life than in the picture

ah here, that's madness

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

Came up on my Facebook feed as an ad. Breitling wall clocks for €31.50. Don't know if it's legit or not. If I was ordering one, I'd use Paypal to be on the safe side :cool:

Navitimer looks ace though

https://smarturl.it/b5ux0d

505851.jpg

"Shipping and tax will be added on checkout"

You could end up paying around €50 for an eleven inch quartz wall clock. Not sure that's what I want on a wall anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Couldn't see Breitling selling anything for 31 euro.....

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Advertisement

Couldn't see Breitling selling anything for 31 euro.....

Wait till we are 8 weeks into Codiv 19 lockdown...

Advertisement