Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Enough's enough, posts deleted. No more of that stuff. We're not in the schoolyard.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

I have been meaning to ask. What forums are good for private sales like second hand and that? I know some lads regularly buy and sell on some from here

Also how would you gauge someone trustworthy to buy from on one of those?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭micks_address

I have been meaning to ask. What forums are good for private sales like second hand and that? I know some lads regularly buy and sell on some from here

Also how would you gauge someone trustworthy to buy from on one of those?

Tz forums in the UK is good but you need to be a member and have a ton of posts before you are allowed buy and sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

hitemfrank wrote: »
    I just had an email from Engineers Ireland about a talk next Tuesday that may be of interest to some here.

https://www.engineersireland.ie/Events/event/6699

All welcome in person in Ballsbridge and its being webcast too. I'm in an awkward place of possibly not making it into the talk on time, or getting home in time for the webcast. I might try finish in work early and head in.

Just giving this a bump again in case anyone missed it first time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Just giving this a bump again in case anyone missed it first time around.

Thanks for posting that:) wasn't aware of it,looks really interesting. Going to go to it if anyone would like to meet up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Just about made it into Ballsbridge for Time Flies - Watchmaking in Ireland presentation by Damian Duggan.

Huge Thank You to hitemfrank for posting about it,only saw it today.

Absolutely loved it:) Interesting to listen how as a kid he worked worked with his father,the history behind his shop in Fairview.

https://www.dugganjewellers.ie/

Got to hold some of the tools used in watchmaking,took some pictures.

https://imgur.com/a/TwvCWf3

Also John McGonigle was there

https://www.mcgonigle.ch/about-us

Really great talking to him along with the others there.Amazing profession i would really like to be able learn with the shortage of watchmakers around the world.

Also there is a museum of time going to open later this year in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Just about made it into Ballsbridge for Time Flies - Watchmaking in Ireland presentation by Damian Duggan.

Absolutely loved it:) Interesting to listen how as a kid he worked worked with his father,the history behind his shop in Fairview.

Really great talking to him along with the others there.Amazing profession i would really like to be able learn with the shortage of watchmakers around the world.

Sounds like it would have been very interesting to go to.

The McGonigle watches look gorgeous.

It was pretty interesting. It certainly wasn't bad for Damiens first attempt at this sort of thing.

I'd like to hear more of the technical aspects of watch making should Engineers Ireland put on a similar talk again. There were a number of comments to this regard last night as well so I'd say it's something they might look to do.

They could maybe try rope in the McGonigles for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

McGonigle watches are very nice. Anyone know many people involved in making them and are they 100% made in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I think the skill and craftsmanship in the McGonigles is amazing, but the actual designs are absolutely horrid, especially the logo. I’d love to see what they could do with decent branding. Even a name change. I think watch brands beginning with Mc have been well tainted.

• Advertisement

OldBean wrote: »
    I think the skill and craftsmanship in the McGonigles is amazing, but the actual designs are absolutely horrid, especially the logo. I’d love to see what they could do with decent branding. Even a name change. I think watch brands beginning with Mc have been well tainted.

I have the same feeling towards the watch designs they have.

As far the the craftsmanship and technical aspects of the watches I'm sure they are top notch, but the designs do nothing for me.

I will never likely be in a position to be able to afford one of their watches though so I don't think they would particularly care that I don't like the design.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭Homer

Ah here... the Mc Gonigle watch brand was around long before that other gimp showed his face! They have done incredibly well in amongst some stiff competition at the higher end of the market. Agreed, their designs are not to everyones taste, but to suggest changing their name because of one sad unhinged individual shows how little you know about them as a company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

What sort of price do the sell for?

They made a series of 6 Minute Repeaters that sold for €200k in 2016 according to an article I read yesterday. Or the article was from 2016, can't remember exactly.

Other articles have said upwards of $60k for other types.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Bus Boy

Raging I missed it, only seeing this now. Coulped with the fact I live on the road and I got my first watch for my First Holy Communion off Damien's Dad in 1982 in the Fairview shop. My Dad had his practice at the time beside the shop. Feck!

I'm trying to find out if the live broadcast was recorded by Engineers Ireland. I suspect not but I'll let you know either way.

Homer wrote: »
    Ah here... the Mc Gonigle watch brand was around long before that other gimp showed his face! They have done incredibly well in amongst some stiff competition at the higher end of the market. Agreed, their designs are not to everyones taste, but to suggest changing their name because of one sad unhinged individual shows how little you know about them as a company.

I should have put an /s after my the Mc part of my post, but no, their logo is not nice and I don’t feel it fits into their price bracket nor the skill behind their product.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I think 90% of top brand watches are ****ty looking tbh :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

They make some mad watches, great craftsmanship and complex stuff. I do have to agree that the logo is like the lord of the rings font. Maybe it plays well to Americans, but I think its not as classy as the watches and a bit to faith and begorrah for me.

The_Lord_of_the_rings.png

c40b63_10a1624928d64fc29ce435cc7bca9f27.webp

They make some mad watches, great craftmanship and complex stuff. I do have to agree that the logo is like the lord of the rings font. Maybe it plays well to Americans, but I think its not as classy as the watches and a bit to faith and begorrah for me.

I couldn’t put my finger on it, but that LOTR logo is exactly it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Gavin1

I was there with the young fella.

Good basic/introductory overview and fair play to the presenter as it was his first presentation.

The shame is that there is no formalised path to this as an career. For all the mechanical watches we drool over, they need to be serviced by an ever diminishing number of watchmakers!

I'm trying to find out if the live broadcast was recorded by Engineers Ireland. I suspect not but I'll let you know either way.

I've heard back from Engineers Ireland and Damien gave permission for the talk to be recorded so I'll post a link once it's available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

...I hope that this is the right place for this...

In case anyone is interested in what Unkel - of this parish - is up to, and why he has been selling a watch or two....then this is the reason...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058060750&page=5

Not sure if he's home yet...

I love these threads on Boards.....

Well wear Unkel!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭banie01

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I was expecting a Rolex or an AP not a Tesla lol

Well it does have a dash clock somewhere on the fancy console screen I'd say :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Unkle is a great man for answering questions over on the EV forum, well wear on the new car. I am sure the Explorer will be along soon enough, have to spread out the purchases for maximum benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,945 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Unkle is a great man for answering questions over on the EV forum, well wear on the new car. I am sure the Explorer will be along soon enough, have to spread out the purchases for maximum benefit.

I seem to be doing much better with my investments in watches and cars than on the stock markets these days :p

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Just want to acknowledge Fast Fix in Dun Drum.
    I was inquiring about buying a tool kit which they don’t sell. However, they kindly changed a strap free of charge. This is the second favour they have done for me.
    Maybe not a big deal but I find they staff there great to deal with so wanted to give them a mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Great thanks. Just what I’m after

• Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭banie01

unkel wrote: »
    I seem to be doing much better with my investments in watches and cars than on the stock markets these days :p

I liquidated all my stocks to cash in December!
    I'd love to say it was as I had a prophetic insight into this crash...

It wasn't, I was approaching a deemed disposal anyway and honestly thought a dip was coming, a dip not this bloodbath.

Moved it all to cash, did the same with my crypto last month.
    All clever and astute of me, had my buys set to come back in at a lowest trigger of €7750...

So they've all triggered now and carried on to a low of €5k!

It's been an interesting day!

Still room for more fun too!

May buy a watch out of the upside yet tho :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,945 ✭✭✭✭unkel

banie01 wrote: »
    I liquidated all my stocks to cash in December!

I did pretty much the same. Realised a loss on one stock even to zero my CGT bill. Bought back in, was doing quite well and then I significantly bought in the dip. But way before it really dipped unfortunately. With hindsight, eh? :D

Advertisement