Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

I had to change the 4 watches beside my bed this morning 😁

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

To quote Ringo Starr at the end of a long jam session for the Beatles song Helter Skelter, I got blisters on me fingers! :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Folks, would anyone know of a good Irish strap manufacturer? My wife is researching a new leather strap and would like to source from Ireland ideally. I'm not aware of any myself, but if there is one, I'm sure the peeps here will know!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

eljono wrote: »
    Folks, would anyone know of a good Irish strap manufacturer? My wife is researching a new leather strap and would like to source from Ireland ideally. I'm not aware of any myself, but if there is one, I'm sure the peeps here will know!

ThirdFox of this Parish is the lad to talk to.
    He was looking at Irish Leather workers recently and tied up with one for his KS project ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Sent you a PM there - just for anyone who is interested Etsy is a pretty good place where you can find Irish leather craftspeople - often individuals setting up their own little business/side-project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

I was tempted to buy a watch and had transferred the funds to PP but in the interval was thinking "do I really need another watch?" and I had to answer "No".

I decided to use the PP balance instead to make a few charitable donations which I've begun to do with the first.

With people under financial strain and charity shops closed very deserving Irish causes need the support of those of us who can give a few €uros.

It's time to pause the watch buying for maybe 12 months or so.

I realise this might be seen as heresy on a watch forum but just wanted to share my thoughts as a fellow watch enthusiast.

banie01 wrote: »
    ThirdFox of this Parish is the lad to talk to.
    He was looking at Irish Leather workers recently and tied up with one for his KS project ;)
    Thirdfox wrote: »
    Sent you a PM there - just for anyone who is interested Etsy is a pretty good place where you can find Irish leather craftspeople - often individuals setting up their own little business/side-project.

Thanks both, have a few people on Etsy messaged now. Very few Irish companies though it seems, only one I could find was Thirdfox's recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Not sure if it was boards id even seen this on but does anyone know a website for looking up the year watches were manufactured, something like this -

https://www.birthyearwatches.com/

Except i think the site i had been looking at was just a database and not also a shop, thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

funkyouup wrote: »
    Not sure if it was boards id even seen this on but does anyone know a website for looking up the year watches were manufactured, something like this -

https://www.birthyearwatches.com/

Except i think the site i had been looking at was just a database and not also a shop, thanks.

Depends how old you are, Longines serial numbers pre 1970 are easy enough to find,

https://serial-number-decoder.co.uk/longines/longines.htm

Seikos first digit is the year, second digit is the month, but you need to know the decade yourself.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

blue5000 wrote: »
    Depends how old you are, Longines serial numbers pre 1970 are easy enough to find,

Seikos first digit is the year, second digit is the month, but you need to know the decade yourself.

My memory is terrible but that could of been it, it certainly will work though, thanks Blue!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

blue5000 wrote: »

Save me loads of Google time please. Seiko's serial number for 1978?

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Not sure if this is helpful, looking for Seiko from a particular year,assuming for a birth year watch.

Here is a list of Seiko catalogs to pick a watch from a particular year [Link]

Then use this to work out the month / year [Link]

Apologize if this already known.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I've just been browsing through the discount offers available on my unidays account.(The joys of being a "mature" student)

I don't know how many codes I can generate but I'll share the 1st now.
    If anyone wants another, just let me know and I'll post more as long as I can keep generating them.

UNIDAYS-L2EA

Each code is a 30% student discount for watchshop.com

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

I've just been browsing through the discount offers available on my unidays account.(The joys of being a "mature" student)

I don't know how many codes I can generate but I'll share the 1st now.
    If anyone wants another, just let me know and I'll post more as long as I can keep generating them.

UNIDAYS-L2EA

What are the codes for Banie?

Time wrote: »
    What are the codes for Banie?

Sorry Time, that would have bloody helped :pac:

30% off student discount.

I'll edit that into the earlier post too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

For anywhere in particular?

Sorry Time, that would have bloody helped :pac:

30% off student discount.

I'll edit that into the earlier post too.

Where for though? :D

hitemfrank wrote: »
    For anywhere in particular?

Fixed :(

In my defence, it's been a long, long day and I'm on a fúck ton of pain meds....

That said, sharing a discount code...
    Forgetting to add what amount it is, or where it was for is a golden level of stupid! :pac:

Fixed :(

In my defence, it's been a long, long day and I'm on a fúck ton of pain meds....

That said, sharing a discount code...
    Forgetting to add what amount it is, or where it was for is a golden level of stupid! :pac:

You’re grand, it’s late and I was getting paranoid it was just me.

For Anyone else who wants a code I’m also a mature student so feel free to message me if you want one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm half looking for an Omega Speedmaster - not quite sure yet on the exact model, and ideally I'd want to buy second hand. Looking at the ones local to me, I'm seeing

Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch 3570.50.00 - €5500
    Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch (model number not listed) - €3450 (2008), €3600 (year not given)
    Speedmaster Mark 40 3520.50.00 - €2200 (year not given but recently serviced)
    Speedmaster Reduced (€2000, recently serviced)

I'd prefer to buy second hand but are these prices a bit high?

What would I be looking at either at an AD or grey market listing? I see them new on Chrono24 from dealers for in and around 3800€ so would expect second hand prices to be a good bit lower tbh, maybe 2500?

Any benefit in trying to buy tax free from Heathrow etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

I am checking the upcoming Fellows auction and the prices are dropping through the floor atm. Some serious bargins to be had and I expect the prices to fall further :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I'm half looking for an Omega Speedmaster - not quite sure yet on the exact model, and ideally I'd want to buy second hand. Looking at the ones local to me, I'm seeing

Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch 3570.50.00 - €5500
    Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch (model number not listed) - €3450 (2008), €3600 (year not given)
    Speedmaster Reduced (€2000, recently serviced)

I'd prefer to buy second hand but are these prices a bit high?

What would I be looking at either at an AD or grey market listing? I see them new on Chrono24 from dealers for in and around 3800€ so would expect second hand prices to be a good bit lower tbh, maybe 2500?

Any benefit in trying to buy tax free from Heathrow etc?

That first price is more than I paid for mine in an AD, new!

I was briefly looking at the Reduced second hand before going for mine, and they were around the 1800 mark second hand. But there is a significant size difference on the risk. Definitely try both before you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

If you don't mind extra features on your speedmaster pro I recommend the moonphase version - it's cheaper than the hesalite/sapphire moonwatch for some reason (demand/supply?):

3576.50 - black one I had before stolen
    3575.20 - replacement I got for change in look.

You get a date, moonphase and the classic movement (well the 861 not the "classic" classic ;) ) for less than a used speedy pro hesalite seemingly. I think I got mine for $2600 a few years ago.

I think Speedies are one watch that don't devalue that much - people know there's good demand for them, say compared to a constellation piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

oxocube wrote: »
    I am checking the upcoming Fellows auction and the prices are dropping through the floor atm. Some serious bargins to be had and I expect the prices to fall further :)
    The rolex bubble finally bursting?

I have a Mk40 triple date, happy to answer any questions on this model you may have.

Spoiler alert: I'm very happy with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I have a Mk40 triple date, happy to answer any questions on this model you may have.

Spoiler alert: I'm very happy with it!

A Mark IV Triple Date, is that one of these?

7d559f44-2195-11e6-853d-7941ca7dd8f6.jpg

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    A Mark IV Triple Date, is that one of these?

Yes, that's the one - though it's a Mk40, not a MkIV.

More info here: https://www.fratellowatches.com/speedy-tuesday-omega-speedmaster-day-date-mk40/

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

Cienciano wrote: »
    The rolex bubble finally bursting?

Rolex is softening on the non desirable models.

Had a bit of time this morning and browsed upcoming auctions and the watches below caught my eye. Seems to be some really nice watches going for below market value. Wibbs might know if these are indeed below market and might want to comment.

Fees are expensive on the auction though. 27% plus shipping at around £50 :eek:

Glashutte Original Senator for 800 GBP - 1,200 GBP plus fee's. Comes with box and no papers. Lovely watch and very expensive when new.

Glashutte Original Sixties in Blue - 1,600 GBP - 2,400 GBP plus fee's. No box or papers with this one. I tried on the red version of this watch and it really shines. The blue is more to my liking though.

Jaeger-Lecoultre Ultra-Thin Master Control - 900 GBP - 1,400 GBP plus fee's. This one comes with box and papers but the movement is not working atm. Full Service on this and it would be the cheapest on the market.

Omega De Ville Prestige - 700 GBP - 900 GBP plus fees. Really nice Omega for the money. Needs an Omega buckle and has no box or papers. Might stick a bid in on this one but will probably buy a white Tag instead :)

Omega Calatrava from 1960 - 300 GBP - 400 GBP plus fees. Nice gold vintage Omega for not too much money. Definitely will need a service though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I saw a very nice looking vintage mk2 for around GBP 1800 on TZ if that would be of interest

Advertisement