Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus & cycling impact (see mode note post 1322)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,772 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'd guess I'm in a minority but I don't find the turbo to be too bad, which probably makes it an easier decision for me. I find it productive (following the TrainerRoad plans), and on the easier workouts TV passes the time (netflix or eurosport (even now, it's repeating last years classics!)).

Dirty Reiver was cancelled this evening, so that's my spring "A" event gone. Quite shocking in the various Facebook groups for Gravel/ Dirty Reiver how not very seriously many in the UK seemed to be taking it. I guess brought about by a lack of political leadership over there.

It's hard to pencil anything else in at this stage with things so much up in the air - Orwell Randonee, and Grass Routes Gran Fondo probably still debatable as to whether they go ahead. So it'll be a long build towards the Lakelander in the Autumn by the looks of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

If true, it certainly won't help the case for allowing cycling to continue. Never really thought of Enniskerry as the cyclists Temple Bar��

Independent cafes may have to close the door but if possible can still sell coffees etc. from the window.. Until of course official government orders shut them down completely...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If true, it certainly won't help the case for allowing cycling to continue. Never really thought of Enniskerry as the cyclists Temple Bar��
    Mrs WA reports that a certain coffee shop in Skerries was thronged with cyclists this morning. It wasn't open as such but staff were serving through a door or hatch or something. She said they looked to be in a group rather than individuals out solo and no one seemed to have a club gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,680 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I've been out for two x 4hr ish spins this weekend and not seen a pair of cyclists let alone a group.
    The Coach House coffee shop on the Waterford Green way is a major hot-spot in the South East, it will be interesting to here if that is packed or empty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

dahat wrote: »
    I've been out for two x 4hr ish spins this weekend and not seen a pair of cyclists let alone a group.
    The Coach House coffee shop on the Waterford Green way is a major hot-spot in the South East, it will be interesting to here if that is packed or empty.

Been out on a couple of shorter spins, one small club group out (blue and yellow gear) but mostly solos and a few pairs. I'm guessing there'll be plenty in the hills at the weekend. Will probably give it a miss myself and try and get out weekdays as time allows on less popular routes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Full article here which is bleak and tends to confirm that the herd immunity approach to be the nonsense that many suspected.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

I was out on Saturday, in all that rain, plenty out & about. Shoes took a right soaking so went walking with Mrs R, loads out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭secman

Another solo spin this morning, didn't see many out, and those were singles, probably met about 6 in all on a 82km spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I've been out a fair bit, just myself in the hills but my impression is that there are more people out than usual. Seems to be more newbs out than usual too - just pulled the bike outta the shed, helmet on backwards, let's see what this cycling lark is all about - sorta cyclers.

Fair play to them either way. Cafe's closed or quiet too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

3 of us out this morning. Lots of cyclists out and lots of kids out on bikes too! Hopefully this gives some kids the “cycling bug”!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭rolling boh

fair number out around dunboyne area this morning a couple of two and three but mostly solo

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Went out for a short spin today just to get out of the house. Must say it did my head the world of good. Can't see how it could spread infection if you're on your own.

But of course if it is banned, as in Spain, France and Italy, I will obey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

There were loads up the Sally Gap on Sunday. No big groups but plenty of 4-6 kind of numbers along with all the solos like myself. Moving on from here I can't see groups of any size being allowed and to be honest, looking at a bunch cycling close enough together, it's not the best looking sight on the road at the moment. If we don't spread out a bit better or stay solo then I fully expect a backlash and then we're all on Zwift til August

Leo going on the telly at 9pm on both RTE and Virgin media. Here comes the lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

Leo going on the telly at 9pm on both RTE and Virgin media. Here comes the lockdown.

A huge sense of relief -
    it wasn’t .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Out for solo spin today, great head clearing after almost 4 days indoors. Saw lots of others on solos too. Passing out was done quickly and no one stopping up for chats like would usually.

Then came across a group of 3 together, all 3 had same colours on but I didnt catch what club. It really annoyed me, looked so wrong. Some people feel rules dont apply to them. If I had caught the clubname, they'd have got a message from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Don Juan II

LennoxR wrote: »
    Can't see how it could spread infection if you're on your own.

But of course if it is banned, as in Spain, France and Italy, I will obey.

It's banned in Spain because the hospitals can't afford to take care of you if you fall off and injury yourself

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Skoda Tour de Conamara has been postponed until August 29th.

It's banned in Spain because the hospitals can't afford to take care of you if you fall off and injury yourself

Don’t agree with this. With far less cars on the road, it’s never been safer to cycle! The benefits of cycling far outweigh any risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Out for solo spin today, great head clearing after almost 4 days indoors. Saw lots of others on solos too. Passing out was done quickly and no one stopping up for chats like would usually.

Then came across a group of 3 together, all 3 had same colours on but I didnt catch what club. It really annoyed me, looked so wrong. Some people feel rules dont apply to them. If I had caught the clubname, they'd have got a message from me.

ive been cycling with dad. both same club but as were sitting on the couch besude each other we might aswell cycle together.

Interestingly im torn between not stopping for coffee and wanting to support my usual stopping places at the moment. What are others doing?.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Don’t agree with this. With far less cars on the road, it’s never been safer to cycle! The benefits of cycling far outweigh any risk.

err... Wicklow was *mental* yesterday with traffic, I nearly got binned twice by clowns...

All car parks were full and roads blocked for up to 1km by selfish parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

The roads are much quieter, so it's better overall, even if there are sizeable number driving too fast within Dublin for safety.

ive been cycling with dad. both same club but as were sitting on the couch besude each other we might aswell cycle together.

Interestingly im torn between not stopping for coffee and wanting to support my usual stopping places at the moment. What are others doing?.

My view is...
    If they are open, support them, BUT:

1. buy take away coffees, if you do sit inside, sit apart.
    2. don't buy fresh food that has to be prepared.
    3. pay by contactless card.

As the weather improves it will be easier to socially isolate by sitting outside.

err... Wicklow was *mental* yesterday with traffic, I nearly got binned twice by clowns...

All car parks were full and roads blocked for up to 1km by selfish parking.

Fair enough so. I was out around NCD yesterday...roads were very quite.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Fair enough so. I was out around NCD yesterday...roads were very quite.

Family up in Roundwood, roads were bananas the last few days with day trippers, cars parking miles away from over flowing car parks, crowds of elderly on group swalks with grousp as large as 20 over the weekend. Some people either don't know or don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Was up Cruagh Road twice in last few days... didn't think could get any busier, until I was up there yesterday again.. On my way back (did a loop out around Sally Gap) it had ground to a halt.. cars trying to come up and cars trying to get down, no one giving way.. Garda car was stuck in the middle of taking their time to tell everyone they saw that they shouldn't be parking on the road..

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

My view is...

As the weather improves it will be easier to socially isolate by sitting outside.

Both Roundwood and Laragh cafes were opened yesterday, but with serving restrictions. Card, no toilets, and enforced gap between customers and staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Macy0161

CramCycle wrote: »
    Family up in Roundwood, roads were bananas the last few days with day trippers, cars parking miles away from over flowing car parks, crowds of elderly on group swalks with grousp as large as 20 over the weekend. Some people either don't know or don't care.
    I live on the Glendalough road - the road was busier than a normal bank holiday or summer sunday. Car parking around the reservoir/ village was full around 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

My view is...

Very strict protocol in Insomnia in Blackrock yesterday - takeaways only, contactless payment, staff wearing masks and gloves, lids and stirrers kept behind the counter and passed out if required using tongs. I suspect the days of being able to pick your own scone etc are well gone.

After years of supporting the Stay Alive at 1.5 campaign, I suppose we should all be practicing Stay Healthy at 2.0!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement