Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus & cycling impact (see mode note post 1322)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

Cyclist in Spain getting nabbed by the police. The Brite on the Costa del sol really weren't taking the whole lockdown thing seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ofthelord

I've an old Tacx roller in the shed, I will have to dig it out later and set up a bike on it - only used it a handful of times about 5 years ago but at least it'll stave off the boredom if it gets to the stage where I can't get out for a cycle or run due to movement restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,293 ✭✭✭Macy0161

After years of supporting the Stay Alive at 1.5 campaign, I suppose we should all be practicing Stay Healthy at 2.0!
    Given my experience food shopping on Monday, I was planning on wearing my gillet next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

ofthelord wrote: »
    I've an old Tacx roller in the shed, I will have to dig it out later and set up a bike on it - only used it a handful of times about 5 years ago

I was thinking the same about mine - unused since "the snow"

Majorca 312 postponed to October 10th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭YakerK

Interestingly im torn between not stopping for coffee and wanting to support my usual stopping places at the moment. What are others doing?.

I'm absolutely going to be supporting small business that put in place procedures to ensure the HSE guidance has been met. Many of them are taking a hit in staying open and continuing to pay their staff despite less custom. If we don't support them now, they may not be there in future. I'm making more effort to buy from these business now then ever and will continue to whenever this is done.

I think its a shame that many businesses that could have stayed open with suitable distancing measures have chosen not to. They all sing from the "health of our staff and customers" hymn sheet, but then don't pay their staff. Some concern for the health of staff that they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Not sure about this one, it's not wrong, but are we at the stage now where everyone should just stay on the turbo only?

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/cycling-group-urges-riders-not-to-train-outside-at-all-during-crisis/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Think Arnie's advice is more appropriate:
    https://twitter.com/Schwarzenegger/status/1239611921965301760

Also Arnie playing tig with his miniature pony on a fat bike is what the world needs right now:
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6847101/Arnold-Schwarzenegger-bikes-miniature-pony-Whiskey-morning-fitness-routine.html
    (It's worth the Daily Fail link)

His PSA is also excellent:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

YakerK wrote: »
    I think its a shame that many businesses that could have stayed open with suitable distancing measures have chosen not to. They all sing from the "health of our staff and customers" hymn sheet, but then don't pay their staff. Some concern for the health of staff that they have.

In some cases at least, I suspect enforcing the distancing measures was next to impossible especially on busy Sundays. I have yet to see people leave a full 2 metre gap when queuing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

In some cases at least, I suspect enforcing the distancing measures was next to impossible especially on busy Sundays. I have yet to see people leave a full 2 metre gap when queuing.

i was in Lidl this morning, availing of their O.A.P. special opening hours. They have a line marked out on the floor at the checkout, so that people queueing don't get too close to each other. When I was being checked out, a man crossed the line. The cashier told him, in quite a stern voice, if he didn't move back, that she'd shoot him.
    He retreated in a very spritely manner.
    I'm still not sure that she was joking.

You made the right call going to Lidl Eamon. I was in Tesco yesterday and the day before and they hadn't fully restocked the shelves from the panic last week. Seemed a man power issue rather than stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭g0g

What's the view on acceptability of snot-rocketry in these strange times? I'd normally feel the need to blast a couple over the 30 minute commute and clear the nose. Wouldn't do it while passing people/bikes and I try to be discrete. Now though I'm kinda wondering if we should be more careful. Not sure what exactly the risk is unless you manage to generate a massive puddle of the stuff. Not a huge fan of blowing my nose on my sleeve, but interested to hear if anyone has changed habits?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Eamonnator wrote: »
    i was in Lidl this morning, availing of their O.A.P. special opening hours. They have a line marked out on the floor at the checkout, so that people queueing don't get too close to each other. When I was being checked out, a man crossed the line. The cashier told him, in quite a stern voice, if he didn't move back, that she'd shoot him.
    Employee of the month in my view.

g0g wrote: »
    What's the view on acceptability of snot-rocketry in these strange times? I'd normally feel the need to blast a couple over the 30 minute commute and clear the nose. Wouldn't do it while passing people/bikes and I try to be discrete. Now though I'm kinda wondering if we should be more careful. Not sure what exactly the risk is unless you manage to generate a massive puddle of the stuff. Not a huge fan of blowing my nose on my sleeve, but interested to hear if anyone has changed habits?

Don't do it. I am a schnotty cyclist, and I take a microfibre dishcloth with me, that I tuck in under my jersey, and it's absolutely fine.
    Snotting out in the open no matter where you are right now is extremely irresponsible. You The virus can survive on surfaces for a good few hours, be walked on, someone goes home, puts feet on table, or dog walks in it, person walking dog rubs hound, I mean there are an almost infinite imaginable ways a person could be infected if you are.
    Plus I'd feel so guilty doing it now anywhere.

Snot in a cloth you take in and out from your jersey, I tuck it in at the front. No extra hassle tbh. I think almost anyone has a dishcloth they can repurpose.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

CramCycle wrote: »
    Employee of the month in my view.

She was a diamond.
    I hit the green button three times on the way out.
    (I was wearing gloves)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was in Lidl this morning, availing of their O.A.P. special opening hours.
    huh. hard to think of you as an OAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

YakerK wrote: »
    I'm absolutely going to be supporting small business that put in place procedures to ensure the HSE guidance has been met. Many of them are taking a hit in staying open and continuing to pay their staff despite less custom. If we don't support them now, they may not be there in future. I'm making more effort to buy from these business now then ever and will continue to whenever this is done.

On that line of thinking, please note there is a list of companies which reports of questionable behaviour towards their employees during this crisis (I don’t want to get this site in trouble by posting it. Not sure of the rules). Not included are those who have refused to supply employees with hygiene gear or have forced possible positive cases to continue working.

• Advertisement

On that line of thinking, please note there is a list of companies which reports of questionable behaviour towards their employees during this crisis (I don’t want to get this site in trouble by posting it. Not sure of the rules). Not included are those who have refused to supply employees with hygiene gear or have forced possible positive cases to continue working.

It would have to be in the news or validated somehow, would have to check with other mods.

It would have to be in the news or validated somehow, would have to check with other mods.

Yeah. I figured. It’s not validated. So best left be.

Yeah. I figured. It’s not validated. So best left be.

Plenty of businesses are going to suffer over the next few months, most i will do my best to support but there are one or two who I won't be visiting ever again.

Won't name it but I've family working for one retailer who despite trading here have been taking their advice from the UK head office. No gloves, sanitiser or any guidance whatsoever in relation to social distancing and keeping yourself safe when serving customers. There was an email sent out about how they would be remaining open as they are valuable to the community in these times, basically putting themselves in the same category as a pharmacy or supermarket.

I found CSS very good today, signs up, hand sanitisers, reminders of symptoms. They have put a table in front of the service desk with the card machine on it, all gloved up, decent forced distancing and a feeling it was being taken seriously. Might not be as easy in a small shop.

Plenty of businesses are going to suffer over the next few months, most i will do my best to support but there are one or two who I won't be visiting ever again.

Same. But I also think it’s important to tell them this. I feel boycotts only work if the target of the action is aware of the action.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭JMcL

Lidl do seem to attract some interesting staff (and I mean that in the nicest possible way). I picked up some cable ties and duct tape last year sometime and the lad on the til greeted me with "Ah, you're in for the kidnapping special I see" :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Haha. I'm in Belgium and I'm considering stopping outdoor spins for a few weeks. Trying to find a spot in my apartment for the turbo to leave it in one place with bike attached for the next month as the wife has taken over the office where it normally is. Was thinking of the landing or second bathroom but that has given me an idea!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

France just banned cycling outside...

Can't see the tour going ahead which probably means no Etape this year...

Bollocks anyway, was really looking forward to this one.... still, its a first world problem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement