Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus & cycling impact (see mode note post 1322)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

Strada Bianche off this weekend

CCC and UAE out of Paris Nice so the ASO respond by allowing teams planning on riding to have 8 riders instead of 7.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/coronavirus-aso-and-teams-make-paris-nice-adjustments-after-italian-race-cancellations/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,535 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the advice about washing your hands for as long as it takes to sing 'happy birthday' twice is causing ructions in my sister's house, where the soon to be three year old is getting very angry at people singing happy birthday when her birthday is nearly a week away.

CCC and UAE out of Paris Nice so the ASO respond by allowing teams planning on riding to have 8 riders instead of 7.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/coronavirus-aso-and-teams-make-paris-nice-adjustments-after-italian-race-cancellations/

Hes back. You'd know cycling season is getting serious now

https://twitter.com/ukcyclingexpert/status/1235603302706040833?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

the advice about washing your hands for as long as it takes to sing 'happy birthday' twice is causing ructions in my sister's house, where the soon to be three year old is getting very angry at people singing happy birthday when her birthday is nearly a week away.

I referred your issue to a local heath professional and the advice to your conundrum would be to sing the alphabet song twice or sing staying alive twice also.

Great to hear that not all health advice sounds like quantum physics

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,535 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, she's had her birthday party now (i'm not sure that the fact that her actual birthday is still a couple of days away registers with her), but i do not know whether this will have defused the situation, or given her cause to complain that it's not her birthday anymore.

Guess thats Milan San Remo off then

neris wrote: »
    Guess thats Milan San Remo off then

We're what 9 weeks out from the Giro and that starts in Hungary this year which complicates things further.

What about the Spanish stage races and the others like Romandy and the Alps tour leading up to it? If they were called off but the Giro was on what kind of impact would that have on guys building towards the Giro? Sure they can train but it's not racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

^^^ that is hilarious :D

In other not so funny news, one of the pros competing in the UAE Tour that tested positive for Covid-19 has been named - Dmitry Strakhov from Gazprom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

^^^ that is hilarious :D

In other not so funny news, one of the pros competing in the UAE Tour that tested positive for Covid-19 has been named - Dmitry Strakhov from Gazprom.

According to cycling news there was something like 12 in total diagnosed from the convoy. It is thought Gavira is one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Raymzor

We're what 9 weeks out from the Giro and that starts in Hungary this year which complicates things further.

What about the Spanish stage races and the others like Romandy and the Alps tour leading up to it? If they were called off but the Giro was on what kind of impact would that have on guys building towards the Giro? Sure they can train but it's not racing.

Giro must be on shaky ground at this stage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Raymzor wrote: »
    Giro must be on shaky ground at this stage.

Im surprised it's not cancelled already. Italy is going through an unprecedented crises.

It would be wholly unfair on required medical staff, required police and defence staff to even contemplate it you'd think.

It may well have hugely dissipated, but it will leave an exhausted nation in its wake

i would not use the phrase 'shaky ground' in relation to the giro right now. i would expect it will take a miracle for it to go ahead. italy are seeing a 7% death rate from detected cases so far, and that's not taking into account that a significant fraction of those are people for whom the disease has not yet run its course.

in fact, i can see, in many countries, a general curtailment on any activity which might lead to a higher chance of injury. you do *not* want to injure yourself cycling, or partaking in any other activity, in an area where this has hit hard.

Looking at the calendar on ProCyclingStats a lot of races just got crossed out. All of the Belgian,Dutch and Italian ones up to April 1 and Volta a Catalunya.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Looking at the calendar on ProCyclingStats a lot of races just got crossed out. All of the Belgian,Dutch and Italian ones up to April 1 and Volta a Catalunya.
    Tour of Flanders sportive got cancelled today too so I'd say the whole spring season & Giro are looking highly unlikely at this stage.

Personally, I think CI should be cancelling any races. If they need to have an ambulance, or medical staff, then it's the decent thing to do and just free up resources where they may be better required

Personally, I think CI should be cancelling any races. If they need to have an ambulance, or medical staff, then it's the decent thing to do and just free up resources where they may be better required

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Weepsie wrote: »

They've taken your advice:

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/cycling-news-item/cycling-ireland-statement-coronavirus-covid-19/27483

Volta catalunya off now. Going to be nothing to sneaky watch in work for ages now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Cycling Ireland are doing the right thing here and I think we all know that.

Look after your selves and look after your families for the next while and remember all us cyclists are a family too.

Volta catalunya off now. Going to be nothing to sneaky watch in work for ages now

There is potential there for Eurosport to show classic races if they have the rights and not just fill the schedule with last years races. I'd love to see the 98 tour again for example despite the Festina controversy

Last stage of Paris nice today and Giro won't be starting in Hungary this year

Last stage of Paris nice today and Giro won't be starting in Hungary this year

I don't think the Giro will start anyplace.

Where did you read about Paris-Nice?
    Cycling News are saying, it will finish tomorrow.

Yeah cycling news saying stage 7 will go ahead to Valdeblore-La Colmiane tomorrow but that Stage 8 around the Nice circuit will be cancelled.

Some of the sprinters haven't started as well as the whole Bahrain team.

Reading about the Giro yesterday they were not optimistic and talking about an alternative date but you'd imagine it would be difficult to move the giro and not have it clash with other races, the Olympics, Euro's etc.

Maybe a scaled down race 10-14 days if it goes ahead???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

There is potential there for Eurosport to show classic races if they have the rights and not just fill the schedule with last years races. I'd love to see the 98 tour again for example despite the Festina controversy

They could broadcast one stage per day as if it's on in real-time.
    We could set up a thread for each stage every day and discuss it as if it never happened before :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Giro is far for important than the Olympics, if there is to be a clash so be it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement