Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus & cycling impact (see mode note post 1322)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭YakerK

On that line of thinking, please note there is a list of companies which reports of questionable behaviour towards their employees during this crisis (I don’t want to get this site in trouble by posting it. Not sure of the rules). Not included are those who have refused to supply employees with hygiene gear or have forced possible positive cases to continue working.

Not condoning that at all. I was talking about business out there taking the appropriate measures to protect their staff and customers in line with latest guidelines. You can tell by looking in usually, do they have the appropriate protective kit and are they enforcing spacing. If they do I'll support, if not I keep going. Certainly there are a few local to me that are doing great job in doing this. One owner was on the street moderating the numbers allowed in and spacing the queue was saying that his only objective for this time was to keep his staff employed and paid.

I really hope solo or small group cycling and running isn't banned here. We need to be encouraging people to use the outdoors during times like this! All the expert advise is that it can be perfectly safe with proper spacing! Bigger risk to people's mental and physical health from staying cooped up for too long in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

YakerK wrote: »
    ...I really hope solo or small group cycling and running isn't banned here...
    I can't see how they could ban it as many cycle to work. Those of us who work in essential services would have a strong case for continuing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I can't see how they could ban it as many cycle to work. Those of us who work in essential services would have a strong case for continuing.

A huge number of staff in hospitals and testing labs cycle, if it is banned an exemption for work would have to be enacted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

CramCycle wrote: »
    A huge number of staff in hospitals and testing labs cycle, if it is banned an exemption for work would have to be enacted.

Having walked and cycled at lunch this week I reckon walking puts you in much closer proximity with more people for long. Lots of solo cyclists out there at the moment with fewer twos than the weekend. Didn't see any group larger than two today and a lot of the pairs seemed to be parent and child.

Is a solo cyclist a potential vector for this virus?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,062 ✭✭✭buffalo

smacl wrote: »
    Having walked and cycled at lunch this week I reckon walking puts you in much closer proximity with more people for long. Lots of solo cyclists out there at the moment with fewer twos than the weekend. Didn't see any group larger than two today and a lot of the pairs seemed to be parent and child.

Is a solo cyclist a potential vector for this virus?

Lots of families out cycling and walking near us. Everytime we have to pass one of them, I can't help but think "keep the little vectors away from me!"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Vectors, what a peculiar way to spell feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭dahat

When walking I cross the road now when I see vectors!!! 🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

France just banned cycling outside...

Can't see the tour going ahead which probably means no Etape this year...

Bollocks anyway, was really looking forward to this one.... still, its a first world problem.

In regards the Etape I was looking forward to it as well this year but last night I cancelled my accommodation. I don't think it will go ahead but if it does I don't fancy that many foreigners in one location so gonna give it a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

CramCycle wrote: »

I've seen permits so anyone cycling for work may get a permit but hopefully it doesn't go that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

If you want to leave your house in France you bring one of these and one of the 5 reasons must apply.

You could argue the 5th covers cycling on your own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭secman

If you want to leave your house in France you bring one of these and one of the 5 reasons must apply.

I did French in school but rusty is not the word.. what does 5 say ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Wish I could remember leaving cert french

Eurosport must be worried about people cancelling. Got an email from them extending my sub for a month and some detail about showing older races than what they are showing now. Wasn't up until may but was on my mind to cancel it. I likely will cancel it when the time comes because they will probably have a better offer to get people back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Wish I could remember leaving cert french

I think it says something along the lines of "due to being unable to exercise at home, to take individual physical activity outside that excludes group Sportives and hunting" I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,149 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

déplacements brefs, à proximité du domicile, liés à l'activité physique individuelle des personnes, à l'exclusion de toute pratique sportive collective, et aux besoins des animaux de compagnie.
    (Google) translates to:
    short trips, near the home, linked to the individual physical activity of people, to the exclusion of any collective sporting practice, and to the needs of pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Cycle around New York city, Time Square etc. No tourists no traffic.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

(Google) translates to:

Interesting...so you can go for a walk on your own, but you can't bring your dog? Seems a bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Interesting...so you can go for a walk on your own, but you can't bring your dog? Seems a bit odd.

No - it's for the benefit of your animals. There are too many clauses in the sentence for Google translate to cope with.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

Great eurosport are extending my player subscription by a month for free......

When there's no cycling on

neris wrote: »
    Great eurosport are extending my player subscription by a month for free......

When there's no cycling on

Today when working from home "Dad we saw this already, the man in the pink wins" :D

In fairness they did mention showing older racing so theres hope for that idea of the 98 tour being shown. I'd love to see some Kelly's finest moments too and even Backstedt. Have them commentate their old races.

Like I mentioned above I'm still likely to cancel in the hope they have a good deal to lure people back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,170 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The Royal Canal has been mental busy every evening this week, not a hope of social distancing, never seen it so busy.
    Even in the mornings it's much busier with runners and walkers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭hesker

We’re getting the blame now for this it seems :)

506327.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭JMcL

secman wrote: »
    I did French in school but rusty is not the word.. what does 5 say ?

It says: "Brief excursions, close to the residence, for the purpose of personal physical activity - excluding all team/group sporting activities, and for the needs of pets"

So allowing you to walk Fido, or yourself, around the block, but unless you're looking for a very short cycle I'd say it'd be a very short argument. Plus French police aren't noted for their sense of humour

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,802 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i wonder if my spare 'staying alive at 1.5' car stickers have acquired any commercial value by now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,802 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

and right on cue.

506332.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

JMcL wrote: »
    It says: "Brief excursions, close to the residence, for the purpose of personal physical activity - excluding all team/group sporting activities, and for the needs of pets"

So allowing you to walk Fido, or yourself, around the block, but unless you're looking for a very short cycle I'd say it'd be a very short argument. Plus French police aren't noted for their sense of humour

Yes. In my sisters village they have clamped down on cycling. Everyone was out first day and they have clamped down since. Watching everything more closely

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Did my first roller session in the park beside my flat today (can't roll inside cos of neighbours), went fine.
    Some curious dogs and people but I had the headphones on and didn't hear a thing!
    Hopefully I can keep doing it, I'll go mad if I can't :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Should We Keep Riding Through the Coronavirus Pandemic? The Science synopsis.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

eeeee wrote: »
    Did my first roller session in the park beside my flat today (can't roll inside cos of neighbours), went fine.
    Some curious dogs and people but I had the headphones on and didn't hear a thing!
    Hopefully I can keep doing it, I'll go mad if I can't :eek:

I just ordered a set of rollers from chain reaction. I’ve never used any before and ALREADY not looking forward to it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

dahat wrote: »
    When walking I cross the road now when I see vectors!!! 🀣

Garmin might want to change the name of their pedals

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement