Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus & cycling impact (see mode note post 1322)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

I'm in the exact situation regarding my daughter, had to go out & buy a box of gloves for herself & other staff members.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

And on another note, I read earlier that the sales of turbo trainers in the UK is up 977%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I just ordered a set of rollers from chain reaction. I’ve never used any before and ALREADY not looking forward to it!

There’s a guide somewhere in the site to using them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Just adjust the front roller so that the front axle of your bike is above the axle of the front roller.
    Then find yourself a doorway and hop on.
    Start in a medium gear, not a small one until you get used to it.
    Be smooth and loose with your body, don't grip hard onto your bike, use your core and let it move underneath you.
    There should be no upper body movement, keep that still and relaxed and pedal all the way round (no up and down choppy pedalling).
    It's so good for your efficiency and style (if you do it right!).
    And remember smooth is fast and fast is smooth!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

This is what cycling in France is like for people at the moment:

nDAXgfG.jpg

Let's hope this sort of crazy isn't imposed on us here....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

There’s a guide somewhere in the site to using them.

Not so much a guide to using them but a good discussion here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112437451

There's a good few older threads as well if you do a search for "bike rollers".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Tenzor07 wrote: »

nDAXgfG.jpg

I've done that pre covid 19, not as daunting as you'd think.

rushfan wrote: »
    And on another note, I read earlier that the sales of turbo trainers in the UK is up 977%.

Wonder how many of them will end up on second hand sites come Christmas time

dahat wrote: »
    I've done that pre covid 19, not as daunting as you'd think.

Yea I mean if you can do it outdoors then great, though you'd need a table or a handlebar mount for your screen or iPad....

<snip>

This is what I'm doing currently in the park beside my flat, have no outside space or balcony, and neighbours object to any indoor training.
    If we're banned from the outside I'll actually go mental! I hope there can be some leeway for those of us without any outside space :eek:

• Advertisement

Yea I mean if you can do it outdoors then great, though you'd need a table or a handlebar mount for your screen or iPad....

DCR reviewed a Tacx tablet holder recently & found it to be excellent, around €40 I think.

The ground is probably the best holder?!
    I roll without one, I just write out the times of my intervals and stick it on my stem.

Heading home this morning waiting at a red and I was informed by the driver of the car that pulled up next to me that I was doing a very bad thing.

Her: Excuse me, excuse me. You shouldn't be cycling you know.

Me: Why not ?

Her: It's not allowed.

Me: Really? News to me love, who told you this ?

Her : It was on facebook.

Me: Must be true so.

Her: You're a disgrace you are.

I just laughed at that point and went on my way. No point engaging further.

For fcuks sake :mad:

eeeee wrote: »
    The ground is probably the best holder?!
    I roll without one, I just write out the times of my intervals and stick it on my stem.

Similar but workout on headunit, direct drive non smart so just rock on.

Heading home this morning waiting at a red and I was informed by the driver of the car that pulled up next to me that I was doing a very bad thing.

Motorists not realising that they are much more dangerous to cyclists than any virus could be! (with the exception of the zombie virus of course!)

and neighbours object to any indoor training.

You need a Wahoo KicR! :)

I actually had an urge to "panic buy" some rollers myself. My experience on a borrowed trainer a few years ago reminded me of how little enjoyment I got from it so not for me but I was thinking during the week "how would I get on those without falling off and breaking something" :eek:

Anyway came across Juliette trying to get on some without holding on to something. Her videos are hit or miss as she's an "influencer" but this was a good one.

Rollers are orders of magnitude more entertaining than a turbo.

This is a getting on rollers without touching anything video (only just over 1 min long):

Francois Pervis getting on and off rollers on a track bike (no freewheel!) clipped in with straps! doing a rev out and off again without any support.

Just a note on roller technique - even at a ridiculous cadence, Pervis's upper body, head, arms and neck barely move. You can see how you use your core and back etc. to support good pedalling technique.

That clip is from an excellent film about Pervis doing a season in the Japanese Keirin circuit when he was a World Champ. He still had to do 10 weeks training in Keirin school before he was allowed to race, even as a Keirin world champ!

Yeah not for me. An observer would be calling 999 for me there :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

My bikes are always at the larger side than they shouldbe because that what i like, it does mean getting off rollers usually involved me hurting my more delicate parts if I wasn't fully paying attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭paul a newman

I walked between Sutton X and Raheny this pm, the amount of cyclists not adhering to the 2m rule was unreal, groups of clubs and bunches of cyclists riding within a metre of each other was staggering. I was out cycling this am with 3 others, at no stage were we within 5m of each other, and we met loads of cyclists out in Nth Co Dublin, Wheelers, McNallys and others who were keeping a distance, do people not understand the severity of this crisis or do they think it wont happen to them, selfish assholes will get us all banned.

I walked between Sutton X and Raheny this pm, the amount of cyclists not adhering to the 2m rule was unreal, groups of clubs and bunches of cyclists riding within a metre of each other was staggering. I was out cycling this am with 3 others, at no stage were we within 5m of each other, and we met loads of cyclists out in Nth Co Dublin, Wheelers, McNallys and others who were keeping a distance, do people not understand the severity of this crisis or do they think it wont happen to them, selfish assholes will get us all banned.

Totally agree. Saw loads of groups out today, although mainly 4 or less. Still really irresponsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Totally agree. Saw loads of groups out today, although mainly 4 or less. Still really irresponsible.

Saw a group of ten or so rolling along the coast into Dun Laoghaire this morning. Mixed group but a few of them were wearing a matching jersey. Didn't recognise it but defo none of the local clubs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

daragh_ wrote: »
    Saw a group of ten or so rolling along the coast into Dun Laoghaire this morning. Mixed group but a few of them were wearing a matching jersey. Didn't recognise it but defo none of the local clubs.

Quite a few threes and an occasional four this morning around Featherbeds and Enniskerry. Saw Orwell Jerseys in two of the groups, which isn't surprising given the size of the club.

I see Germany are banning groups of more than two outside and that Merkel has been quarantined with the virus. Fingers crossed she's ok, hugely important EU leader in my opinion.

Traffic jams shown on the news there with people looking to drive somewhere to walk ffs.

They closed the car park at Glendalough and there were issues at the Sally Gap too due to the number of cars.

Makes you wonder are people not seeing the numbers reported on the news every day.

Car park of a popular walk in Waterford drew mass crowds today & needed Garda to control it later in the day.
    People just don't get it at all, if going out go early and not at peak times like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭buffalo

smacl wrote: »
    Quite a few threes and an occasional four this morning around Featherbeds and Enniskerry. Saw Orwell Jerseys in two of the groups, which isn't surprising given the size of the club.

I see Germany are banning groups of more than two outside and that Merkel has been quarantined with the virus. Fingers crossed she's ok, hugely important EU leader in my opinion.

There was a stern warning sent around the club today - and not the first advice given - but it's extremely difficult to identify individual offenders (who may no longer even be members) and impossible for the club to put them under house arrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

so from this week will it be acceptable to shout "stop riding in groups you pr1cks!" , asking for a friend

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

silverharp wrote: »
    so from this week will it be acceptable to shout "stop riding in groups you pr1cks!" , asking for a friend

It was acceptable last week

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement