Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

martin101 wrote: »
    I have a friend who works in a nursing home. Out drinking in town at the moment he is. I know people need to have to live their own lives but seriously.
    Could stay off the from the pubs in town for a while. I'm so annoyed with him over it.

I maybe draconian here but if I was their boss and knew about this, they would be sacked. Wreckless endangerment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    Why?
    Cheltenham isn't like Italy or Spain
    So you think being packed in with 68,000 other potentially infected people is ok do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

They can they get Blood Plasma from people who recovered this in China.

Think they have sent some to Italy. According to Sky News.

How it works
    How is blood plasma turned into an infection-fighting drug?

Patients who have recovered from a disease have permanent antibodies generated by the immune system floating in their blood plasma, the liquid component of blood.

To turn that into a drug, the plasma is harvested, tested for safety, and purified to isolate those protective antibodies.

When injected into a new patient, the “plasma-derived therapy” — also known as convalescent plasma — provides “passive immunity” until the patient’s immune system can generate its own antibodies.

Mike Ryan, the head of the WHO’s emergencies program, has said convalescent plasma is a “very important area to pursue” as a potential treatment for patients with Covid-19.

“It must be given at the right time because it mops up the virus in the system and it just gives the new patient’s immune system a vital push at the time it needs it — but it has to be carefully time and it’s not always successful.”

link https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/05/how-blood-plasma-from-recovered-patients-could-help-treat-coronavirus/

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Ladybird18

When Trump said the words "national emergency" were 2 big words I lost all faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Acute care hospital beds per 100 000 of population.

Germany 621
    France 428
    Italy 275
    Ireland 240
    Spain 239

Now compare confirmed cases per 100 000 of population.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

skimpydoo wrote: »

I maybe draconian here but if I was their boss and knew about this, they would be sacked. Wreckless endangerment.

The Catalan govt have announced bans on cafes, cinemas, bars, restaurants etc. Probably time we pushed through something similar for the greater good.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Get Real

Why?

And ten days ago, Spain wasn't like Italy. They had less cases than we do now.

I respect the fact that your point to the poster you replied to is Cheltenham isn't riddled with it. But it was a large gathering of a quarter of a million people, and only becomes apparent days after.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

The COVID-19 map is currently undergoing maintenance. Thank you for your patience.

Checking the servers with McAfee to see how many viruses are present :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

wakka12 wrote: »
    China experienced weeks of misery after complete lockdown. Europe's reaction has still been very mixed despite growth over the last few days that has dwarfed anything China saw during it's peak, many Europeans are still living a relatively normal life right now, many still going outside and doing normal work and leisure activities, so not only is the growth much larger but there wont be that same nose dive in cases as China saw.

Europe had about 9,000 new cases today and over 300 deaths.

China at it's peak was experiencing 4000 or so new cases a day and 150-200 deaths

World stayed completely open to China (and this virus) for far, far too long IMO.

Flights, inward travel etc should have been cancelled or quarantined but that could not be done (as I think it was very quickly with SARS outbreak?) because it would have annoyed China and been quite disruptive for for businesses/the economy. Of course China is a superpower now, has very deep economic ties with most Western nations and must be respected or else.

They were able to contain the virus precisely because they are a superpower with resources most other countries cannot dream of. They also have a fascist, authoritarian and centralised system that is good for responding very fast to something like this once the leaders really put their mind to it & make it a priority.

I think some people in Ireland (perhaps elsewhere in Europe) still have this stereotype of China as a poor third world nation & believe, well if they could seemingly get a handle on it, it must not be so big a deal & we'll be fine here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

You are always going to get a bunch of thermos-heads in this country that need their feed of gargle and by God they will get it no matter what.

Only way to stop this is locking down all pubs for the 2 weeks.

That's what I was getting at. That the government may need to be more direct and move on from the advice was all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

The COVID-19 map is currently undergoing maintenance. Thank you for your patience.

Its working fine for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

So you think being packed in with 68,000 other potentially infected people is ok do you?

No i dont bur the only people being treated the way that poster wants is people coming from known Corona hotspots...Cheltenham isn't a known hotspot

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Ladybird18 wrote: »
    When Trump said the words "national emergency" were 2 big words I lost all faith.

5 years too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

skimpydoo wrote: »

Not a chance could you sack him, you would be up in court for unfair dismissal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

I hope coppers is not full of people shifting ! Us all on here doing our part like

Dundalk, Co. Louth

Why?

It's grand shure. Turn the other cheek, it will be alright. Zero risk of increasing transmission coming home. When you lift your head out of the sand, be sure to clean it down with sanitary wipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I hope coppers is not full of people shifting !

It closed for two weeks today

• Registered Users Posts: 15,906 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

To my mind it will really take a few days for reality to hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

It's grand shure. Turn the other cheek, it will be alright. Zero risk of increasing transmission coming home. When you lift your head out of the sand, be sure to clean it down with sanitary wipes.

Calm down soldier...i never said it was grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

When he went on to introduce reps from big companies that are our saviours apparently. I didn't know what to think.

Better to be pragmatic and treat him as a gobsheen that is to be looked at, ridiculed and ignored as someone insignificant in the big picture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭PaybackPayroll

I believe the strategy is to get 60%? of people infected and (hopefully) recovered. Then we have herd immunity.

However, it has to be done in a controlled way, hence the gradual closing of schools etc. Do it too quickly and panic sets in. Do it too slowly and in the infection rate increases too quickly.

With this in mind, I wonder if a 'controlled infection' strategy would work? Deliberately infect the healthiest and let them recover. Then let the 60% for herd immunity be the healthiest ones? - saving the elderly?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

As per my username, I visit Spain a lot (a nice spot, has to be said, not the beer and breakfast place ahem).

In mid Feb my finger hovered over the flights, and I said nah, see how it pans out.

So glad my fingers hovered now.

I’m similar to you and I have a different view. If Ireland ends up like Spain then I’m going there. I’d rather be in isolation in a sunny climate with a better health service and a cheaper cost of living than, you know, Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

fritzelly wrote: »
    Working for me - but Ireland is not updated - are they still only doing daily updates?

Ireland is showing 90 so up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

wakka12 wrote: »
    It closed for two weeks today

Those Italians really went on a fu@k rampage

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Yeah; I did a double take. It sounded so stooopid.

But maybe he meant big as in big implications rather than just loads of letters!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Anyone else gone from being scared of this bastard to wanting to beat the c*nt into oblivion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

darjeeling wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/nextstrain/status/1238597954593644545

ETBiNWnUYAAc5ab?format=jpg&name=small

Ireland joins the nextstrain.org virus genome map, with 5 new genomes sequenced by the NVRL.
    Three are from Limerick (all look related), and there are two other unrelated ones - 1 from Dublin, 1 from Cork.
    That means at least three separate introductions into the country, but I think we knew that already.

Could someone explain this to a simpleton? :o
    I have read also the European cases started in Germany? How do they come to that conclusion? Is it a new strain/mutation of the virus? How can they tell there was 3 separate introductions to this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,374 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A drive thru test facility opened in Cork city (St Mary's campus in Gurranabraher on the northside of the city)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

I just saw a Snapchat story, the picture has a pint with the caption reading: '**** your virus'.

That lad who posted it is in his mid-thirties and in fairness, was never the sharpest so I actually don't think he 'gets it'. We don't care if the likes of him gets the virus, it's the issue of passing it on to other people that's the problem. That's why the government needs to step in and temporarily shut the pubs because you just can't legislate for people and a lot of them out there are real idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,307 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

GM228 wrote: »
    Ireland is showing 90 so up to date.

Must have just updated

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement