Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Just back from the pub.

If anything a bit busier than a regular Friday night crowd.

How's the thread going? - Is there still a lot of pub-envy or has it calmed down a bit?

I'm sure a Gobsh.. person down the pub talking ****e about inane local gossip and delusionaly reckoning he has a chance with the 20 year old hot barmaid when he wouldn't have a chance with even the local male alcos has us all jealous

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I honestly believe once the hysteria of Italy has passed, things will return to normal. Something weird happened up there that turned it into a nightmare in some hospitals.

Exponential growth with no containment measures to restrict the rate of growth until it was too late. It's what will happen here if people don't practice social distancing in large numbers to slow transmission rate.

Nothing weird about it. Irish citizens inaction will lead to thousands of deaths if they don't do their part to slow the spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Do you think we'll ever be the same after all this has passed (hopefully)? Will we forever change how we behave or will we just forget about it all afterwards?

I'm more worried about the long term effects of this than the virus itself.

This is probably going to have a very negative effect on children who will be isolated or stigmatised for a very very long time. This will not be 2 weeks long and I think we all know that.

Yes me too. A few months of inconvenience is way worse than dying a painful death gasping for air

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I honestly believe once the hysteria of Italy has passed, things will return to normal. Something weird happened up there that turned it into a nightmare in some hospitals. Their aging population who I gather would be a lot more expressive and social than our ones, helped speed up the spread of it in their population.

China experienced weeks of misery after complete lockdown. Europe's reaction has still been very mixed despite growth over the last few days that has dwarfed anything China saw during it's peak, many Europeans are still living a relatively normal life right now, many still going outside and doing normal work and leisure activities, so not only is the growth much larger but there wont be that same nose dive in cases as China saw.

Europe had about 9,000 new cases today and over 330 deaths.

China at it's peak was experiencing 4000 or so new cases a day and 150-200 deaths. China is also about 3x times larger population than Europe .

• Registered Users Posts: 39,677 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    Roy Keane tested positive

Source ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭DonnieCorko

Conor McGregor just put up a post and Im not sure if I am reading it incorrectly, but I think he said his aunt died of the coronavirus?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,831 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    Roy Keane tested positive

Really?

I'd have thought the Coronavirus would be self isolating from Roy Keane

• Registered Users Posts: 24,957 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Personally I have done that. I won't be flying anywhere soon or popping down the pub.

But I can also see why others have popped out. Lot of #SupportLocal on my Twitter feed. And government not closing them kind of makes it look like they support the bars/restaurants/cafes opening.

Would love to live in a world where, as you say, people make decisions for their own good and the good of others but maybe a large group of people might need actual direction with rules and consequences if rules are not followed. I'm not expert in this field though!

#supportlife #supporthealth #openyourears #stayalive #becommunityminded and most importantly #DONTBEAFÛCKINGINGSTUPIDSELFISHIGNORANTCUNT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Any word on those returning from Cheltenham this evening?, presumably being advised to self isolate? Anybody who attended and doesn’t self isolate is reckless and irresponsible. The whole Cheltenham thing has made my blood boil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Nermal wrote: »
    A significant proportion of us have to get it. We can’t stay indoors forever. Better for all that those of us at lower risk get it, and quickly. The good people in Temple Bar - so long as they’re not working in nursing homes - are doing what needs to be done.

That's not true and not what's happening in other parts of the world at all. China and South Korea contained it with lockdowns and are eliminating it entirely. The same result from the 10 lockdown towns in Italy.

Shut everything down for 2 weeks, stay inside and the pandemic is over. It's simple, if only people would listen.

It's also a bit laughable to say "We can’t stay indoors forever" when the people at Temple Bar tonight have fallen at the first hurdle and made no effort whatsoever, much like the cheltenham goers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Source ?

Deleted post. I was misinformed (I think).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Nermal wrote: »
    A significant proportion of us have to get it. We can’t stay indoors forever. Better for all that those of us at lower risk get it, and quickly. The good people in Temple Bar - so long as they’re not working in nursing homes - are doing what needs to be done.

Well, I know the World Health Organization, the leading experts in the field of pandemics, are dying one thing.

But Nermal here disagrees, so **** it lads, how bout we all just get sick at once, and ignore all the warnings about overloading the hospitals. Sure, it will only be a few tens of thousands dead, what’s the big deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I’m not out tonight. Have self isolated all week. My elderly neighbor called into me and I told her I wouldn’t come down the stairs, she was like “not to worry, I’ve been out all day if I have it I have it”
    I know it’s a sensitive time for you but it’s not as black and white as you’re purporting it to be.

I dont understand, you said you were in self isolation for the last 6 days and wanted to get tested but couldn't, why would you be out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Coralcoras wrote: »
    A sobering read about pregnancy and coronovirus.

https://mothertobaby.org/fact-sheets/coronaviruses/

1st Trimester: Risk of miscarriage (50%) and birth defects.
    2nd and 3rd Trimester: Risk of early labour (approx. 30-40%), stillbirth (approx. 20%) and other complications like poor growth.

This is early days so many of the statistics are based on observations from a relatively small (Covid19-infected) population sample.
    Other stats are based on stronger relationships observed during similars viral outbreaks in the past, I.e. SARS and MERS.

My sisters, both of whom work in a face-to-face role with the HSE and are pregnant, are in complete limbo regarding current/expected working conditions.

There’s a lot of mention in the media about the vulnerability of elderly and immunocompromised citizens, but I’ve heard no mention made of the unborn child. I hope this gets discussed more and want to draw attention to the issue.

Those percentages are not actually in the article you linked to. Specifically on the 50% thing, the article actually says: "In reports of pregnant women who had SARS in the first trimester, 4 out of 8 pregnancies ended in miscarriage."

That's not any where near a reliable sample size to make any generalisations. It's also about SARS, not covid-19.

The author also says "Studies have not been done to see if getting a coronavirus during pregnancy could increase the chance of miscarriage... There is not enough information to know if the miscarriages were caused by the virus, the severity of the mother’s illness, or other reasons. ... More research is needed to know how coronavirus infection could affect a pregnancy."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I honestly believe once the hysteria of Italy has passed, things will return to normal. Something weird happened up there that turned it into a nightmare in some hospitals. Their aging population who I gather would be a lot more expressive and social than our ones, helped speed up the spread of it in their population.

What would be really weird is the the same "something weird" happening in china, iran, italy, spain and france (as is looking likely in the latter two) and it not being a feature of the disease. What are the odds of that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

Any word on those returning from Cheltenham this evening?, presumably being advised to self isolate? Anybody who attended and doesn’t self isolate is reckless and irresponsible. The whole Cheltenham thing has made my blood boil

Why?
    Cheltenham isn't like Italy or Spain

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

I’d say it’d be hard to bate these threads for virtue signalling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

D.Q wrote: »
    God I miss pints

Those were the days

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

amacca wrote: »
    I see, well obviously as you are an expert on these matters could you perhaps give some more details as to how your plan would be enacted.

Nothing too involved, just the broad outlines......I'm curious and I like the cut of your gib sir/madam!
    Ok . . . . So at present we have schools closed with huge issues as regards roaming kids and teachers.
    People are working from home where possible.
    Gyms and swimming pools are closed.
    Hotel industry is doomed.
    Economy will be years in recovery due to panic, travel restrictions.
    The 68+ age group make up 98% of deaths in Italy.
    MOST of the younger people are not in danger of serious Ill effects.
    We have a minority group in most danger 68+
    They can be isolated to protect the health, how, perhaps isolate at home with no interaction only health personnel when required.
    Actions like these would protect the economy which I’m afraid is critically important to the health of the minority in the 1st place.
    I’m not trying to be controversial here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

The latest travel notice is a bit vague is it? I know this is tricky and I think Gov/HSE are doing well, but what does be cautious even mean? Either tell them to fly or not.

The pubs being open is strange too, difficult balancing act as bars/restaurants real danger of going under. But them not closing them gives the impression that we can go etc. But should we be going? Patricks Day currently normal drinking day except for the Parade? Will temple bar be packed on Tuesday?
    Without an outright ban, people can’t claim their refunds. It’s a way of saving the industry a few quid, at a time when it’s likely to bankrupt them. I think it’s obvious that only very stupid or reckless people would go on holidays right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

skimpydoo wrote: »
    No mention of the UK, why is that?

Not sure if this is related but Ive been following the John Hopkins online coronavirus map for the past couple of days. It tracks each countries confirmed cases, deaths and recoveries. Give or take a few hours to a day to update and its very accurate.
    Every country was listed including the UK until today.
    The UK isnt listed at all anymore and theres no longer an option to click on the country for data. Theres not even a red circle on it anymore to show that it has infections. There had been yesterday.

Maybe they dont want any interference or dont want it known how many infected numbers they have? I dont know but it seems odd.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

almostover wrote: »
    We have got more than sufficient direction from our government. They've done a good job without resorting to martial law. Don't make unnecessary journeys, self isolate if ill, cancel social events, don''t congregate in groups of more than 100 people when indoors plus many other excellent pieces of advice. If you need to get out go for a walk or a run in the open air away from large crowds. How hard is it?

How hard is what sorry?

I was talking about the packed pubs. It's clearly not working is all.

so live with elderly parents and in college thats now closed, apart from getting necessary provisions should I not go out to any interior place with people for the next few months?

You should not leave the house at all. You should have stocked up last November. You'll just have to tough it out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I can see the government having to go nuclear in the next week or two. It’s clear some people haven’t a clue about how serious this is nor do they give a ****

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Not sure if this is related but Ive been following the John Hopkins online coronavirus map for the past couple of days. It tracks each countries confirmed cases, deaths and recoveries. Give or take a few hours to a day to update and its very accurate.
    The UK isnt listed at all anymore and theres no longer an option to click on the country for data. Theres not even a red circle on it anymore to show that it has infections. There had been yesterday.

Maybe they dont want any interference or dont want it known how many infected numbers they have? I dont know but it seems odd.

The COVID-19 map is currently undergoing maintenance. Thank you for your patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Wow finally caught up on the thread...Exhausting in itself

Unsettling times ahead for everyone.

Most of our office has been asked to work from home if they can. Only key staff to remain. (Or those whose micromanagers don’t “trust them” to work from home) My daughter being one of these who has to stay, so I’m going to continue going to the office with her. It seems a little redundant for me to work from home if she’s going to the office everyday anyway, as we live together. I do like going to the office as well - not everybody is suited to working from home. But of course if it’s enforced I’ll have to embrace it I guess.

I’m going to try and use the upcoming period of “downtime” to get the house in order. Do more reading and crafts. The money I would have spent on going out and enjoying life ? I can rechannel into buying books or craft materials. A few small DIY projects maybe. Put a bit by for a holiday when it’s safe to travel again perhaps. Focus on eating good food and trying out some new recipes.

Yeh I’ll miss the social interactions. We all will. But the better we are at slowing the spread then hopefully the sooner we can try and get back to some kind of normality - whatever shape that takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The UK isnt listed at all anymore and theres no longer an option to click on the country for data. Theres not even a red circle on it anymore to show that it has infections. There had been up until yesterday.

The UK is changing the way they're recording tests. This isn't finalised yet (it might be haven't got fully up to speed yet) and so it'll be difficult to assess their data for a while. It may actually come unusable for the john Hopkins graph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

How hard is what sorry?

I was talking about the packed pubs. It's clearly not working is all.

You are always going to get a bunch of thermos-heads in this country that need their feed of gargle and by God they will get it no matter what.

Only way to stop this is locking down all pubs for the 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,334 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The COVID-19 map is currently undergoing maintenance. Thank you for your patience.

Working for me - but Ireland is not updated - are they still only doing daily updates?

• Advertisement

Are you sure your blood is boiling and it's not just a fever?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement