Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

voluntary wrote: »
    Last few days new cases in USA:

3 days ago: 290
    2 days ago: 307 (17 more than the previous day)
    Yesterday : 396 (89 more than the previous day)
    Today: 572 (176 more than the previous day)

The cases start moving parabolic

572 so far today. Will end north of 600 somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    The latest travel notice is a bit vague is it? I know this is tricky and I think Gov/HSE are doing well, but what does be cautious even mean? Either tell them not to fly or not.

The pubs being open is strange too, difficult balancing act as bars/restaurants real danger of going under. But them not closing them gives the impression that we can go etc. But should we be going? Patricks Day currently normal drinking day except for the Parade? Will temple bar be packed on Tuesday?

One thing has become apparent in this crisis, personal responsibility has departed many of our citizens psyche. You don't need goverment to tell you what is right and wrong. It is very foolhardy to travel to foreign countries right now, end of. Step up and make your own decisions for your own good and the good of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Jeff2

You're

That has to be the worst use of a post on boards in a thread like this.

Mines not much better but....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭sudzs

McConky on Late Late now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Ipso wrote: »
    Nice coming from a serial adulterer and pathological liar.

Only Jesus himself is allowed to tell people to pray

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,677 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    One of the big markers of the flu is sudden onset. So although coronvirus shares many symptoms with the flu, they develop gradually like a cold does, according to Dr Fauci. If you come down with a fever, chills, aches and pains out of nowhere its probably the flu. A more gradual onset, with a fever is a big warning sign for coronavirus as far as I can tell

That’s interesting. I’d never thought about the onset of symptoms being an indicator or whether it’s a flu or corona virus. I’d say the anti social crowd are laughing a bit at the whole situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

Seasoft wrote: »
    Dont know if it's been mentioned but I'm concerned about two things in MacDonalds. Firstly the touchscreen order console, and secondly the games pads for kids.
    Both involve touching something straight after someone else.

The touch screens in mcdonalds is something that my company are spinning out a product from something we were already working on (use your own device instead of the touchscreen).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Seasoft wrote: »
    Dont know if it's been mentioned but I'm concerned about two things in MacDonalds. Firstly the touchscreen order console, and secondly the games pads for kids.
    Both involve touching something straight after someone else.

But why would they concern you?
    There’s a pandemic. Be adult. Practice good hygiene etiquette and don’t use them.
    We have more of a responsibility towards ourselves than McDonald’s has towards us.

Take it into your own hands. (Pun unintended)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

SusieBlue wrote: »
    My best friend, who hand on heart worked me into such a state of anxiety with her hysteria & doomsday talk during the week that I came close to having a panic attack, is currently out for drinks with her new boyfriend after going for dinner earlier this evening.

Another friend has a milestone birthday tomorrow, a party was planned but had to be cancelled for obvious reasons.
    A few of us were going to call to her house tomorrow afternoon with cake and balloons to take the sting out of the fact that we can’t celebrate but my other friend won’t come cause it’s too dangerous... (fair enough)
    But she’s currently out on the lash in town with her fella.
    So pissed off I can’t even put into words how angry I am. Raging isn’t the word, such selfish creatures out there.

Why get angry about it? Chill out. It's not up to you control anyone else's actions.

And for all you know, they're in a quiet pub after a quiet restaurant. A few anecdotes about packed pubs and a screenshot a few people hanging around outside one particular pub does not mean this is widespread.

Also remember, that if they didn't have this to moan about, the chat here would just be about something else. Would you also work yourself up into a rage about that? It's not healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

threeball wrote: »
    It's already sliding so a great excuse for Bojo
    ITman88 wrote: »
    Not trying to be controversial here, but, would it be possible/easier to isolate the most vulnerable, like those retired and with underlying issues?
    The retired don’t work this making isolation much easier.
    Those with under lying issues could be allowed work from home etc
    Would this not be an option??

Haven’t a clue why this wasn’t what they did. It’s like the panic of Italy and the unexpectedness of it frightened the **** out of politicians the world over.

NO HORROR STORIES FROM ICUs coming out of Spain or Germany or France. Yes deaths, but in many cases it’s just some elderly people’s time on earth being sped up by a few weeks or months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

fritzelly wrote: »
    Trump - God bless America - with prayer we will defeat this!

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1238600593779896321

he doesn't pray. he may pray but he prays for the opposite. But I doubt he prays at all,

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭martin101

I have a friend who works in a nursing home. Out drinking in town at the moment he is. I know people need to have to live their own lives but seriously.
    Could stay off the from the pubs in town for a while. I'm so annoyed with him over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

Been looking at it for a fortnight now thinking to ourselves that it's like part of the montage at the start of pandemic movies. I was incredulous last week but this week, after very gently but urgently advising all my friends about how serious this is, they're all out tonight regardless. I've gone through all the stages, from denial to anger, bargaining, depression, and I have no other choice but acceptance now. What that means for the people who aren't heeding the advice, I'm not sure.

The one that made me most sad was that my sixty year old mom promised me she'd be careful but went out yesterday (I honestly think just to have one last trip outside). Ended up dropping her phone in a PHARMACY, having to borrow some other dirty punter's phone to ring it and then retrieved it from the filthy claw of the woman who picked it up. I asked her if she'd disinfected the phone since and she said no. Over the phone.

Two people kindly helped your mother by loaning her phone and picking it up for her and your reaction is to call them ‘Dirty punter’ and ‘Filthy claw’ when you were not even there to make any judgement. I think you have bigger issues than Covid -19

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Has anyone made their own hand sanitizer yet?

Mr Google says I just need 160ml of 99% rubbing alcohol and 80ml of pure aloe Vera gel

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭blade1

You're

Spelt tool wrong as well :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    The latest travel notice is a bit vague is it? I know this is tricky and I think Gov/HSE are doing well, but what does be cautious even mean? Either tell them to fly or not.

The pubs being open is strange too, difficult balancing act as bars/restaurants real danger of going under. But them not closing them gives the impression that we can go etc. But should we be going? Patricks Day currently normal drinking day except for the Parade? Will temple bar be packed on Tuesday?

To be honest, In regard to the travel notice - Sure at this stage we don’t need the spanners in government or whatever to tell us not to travel. It’s a no brainer at this stage. Do people really need to be told this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

ITman88 wrote: »
    Not trying to be controversial here, but, would it be possible/easier to isolate the most vulnerable, like those retired and with underlying issues?
    The retired don’t work this making isolation much easier.
    Those with under lying issues could be allowed work from home etc
    Would this not be an option??
    isolate where?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Yep, personal responsibility is paramount.

But some see that as bowing to the Government rules and will rebel.

I really dunno anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

martin101 wrote: »
    I have a friend who works in a nursing home. Out drinking in town at the moment he is. I know people need to have to live their own lives but seriously.
    Could stay off the from the pubs in town for a while. I'm so annoyed with him over it.

People are selfish. That is really annoying to hear. The nursing home needs to be informed. You need to inform them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Almost 11,000 new cases today worldwide, yesterday's global total was just 6.5k. Almost entirely in Europe, Europe is ****ed

Half as many people have died in Europe from COVID in a fortnight as they did in China over a two month period

It's likely that in a few days the situation in North America will be considerably worse than Europe. USA will be 'the' worst case scenario possible for this virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

wakka12 wrote: »
    First two cases in Aruba ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    That’s interesting. I’d never thought about the onset of symptoms being an indicator or whether it’s a flu or corona virus. I’d say the anti social crowd are laughing a bit at the whole situation.

It's amazing how something like this isn't more widely known. Flu comes on suddenly and lasts for 2-5 days. Colds are gradual and usually last around 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,677 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

No worries. Did you stay a metre away from your buddies as advised?

Were there more than 100 patrons in this pub?

I get your point really. We have no respect for advice from Gov. Despite what is going on two weeks behind us in other countries. Gawd Help us.

Well if he did and there were less than 100 people and didn’t cough over each other then closing the pubs people will still go the pubs. I mean my local couldn’t fit 100 People into it if you pushed them off a cliff into the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Haven’t a clue why this wasn’t what they did. It’s like the panic of Italy and the unexpectedness of it frightened the **** out of politicians the world over.

NO HORROR STORIES FROM ICUs coming out of Spain or Germany or France. Yes deaths, but in many cases it’s just some elderly people’s time on earth being sped up by a few weeks or months.
    It’s easier to isolate the minority, then schools and business stay open.
    What has happened is the most backward upside down stupid idea they could have implemented

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

martin101 wrote: »
    did you say anything to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

wakka12 wrote: »
    Almost 11,000 new cases today worldwide, yesterday's global total was just 6.5k
    depressing.

They'll be 100,000 in a day in a few weeks

skimpydoo wrote: »
    No mention of the UK, why is that?

No mention of any particular country in that tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

almostover wrote: »
    One thing has become apparent in this crisis, personal responsibility has departed many of our citizens psyche. You don't need goverment to tell you what is right and wrong. It is very foolhardy to travel to foreign countries right now, end of. Step up and make your own decisions for your own good and the good of others.

Personally I have done that. I won't be flying anywhere soon or popping down the pub.

But I can also see why others have popped out. Lot of #SupportLocal on my Twitter feed. And government not closing them kind of makes it look like they support the bars/restaurants/cafes opening.

Would love to live in a world where, as you say, people make decisions for their own good and the good of others but maybe a large group of people might need actual direction with rules and consequences if rules are not followed. I'm not expert in this field though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Do you think we'll ever be the same after all this has passed (hopefully)? Will we forever change how we behave or will we just forget about it all afterwards?

I'm more worried about the long term effects of this than the virus itself.

This is probably going to have a very negative effect on children who will be isolated or stigmatised for a very very long time. This will not be 2 weeks long and I think we all know that.

• Advertisement

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Has anyone made their own hand sanitizer yet?

Mr Google says I just need 160ml of 99% rubbing alcohol and 80ml of pure aloe Vera gel

If it's on the internet it must be true. Go for it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement