Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

NIMAN wrote: »
    No one is saying there will be no deaths.

There will be for sure, maybe quite a lot.

But not anywhere near what some doom merchants are saying.

I hope we all die just to see the look on your face

;)

Also on a serious note, when our hospitals are overwhelmed by the virus, there will be patients in hospital that might die indirectly because of the lack of resouces/staff

These figures wont be in the number of deaths caused by the virus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

namloc1980 wrote: »
    But if they are unknown then you can't say what the rate is.

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Those figures are based on known cases. There will be far more cases that are never reported, tested for, or even realised. The rate will be way lower as a result.

That legend has been debunked
    unreported cases don't seem to be that many after all as symptoms emerge almost in every case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

spookwoman wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/breakingnewsie/status/1237721964556382209?s=20

A teacher at a Cork secondary school is in self-isolation after coming in close contact with someone who tested positive for Covid-19.
    “The teacher involved has informed the school that he has not tested positive for the virus,” the school said.
    I don't know how this school is covered to stay open, even insurance-wise. The risk of litigation by a parent whose child contracts the virus at the school and passes it on due to inadequate precautions must be astronomical.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

owlbethere wrote: »
    It's possible the corks case got it in the hospital. I think I read he showed up in hospital at some stage and then he went in again for something else or another. Maybe someone in the hospital who was away in Italy. God knows.

thats exactly how he got it. I was told by someone who attended an emergency meeting last week in a big hospital.

That guy present with pneumonia and was sent home. A few days later he was back. He caught it from a healthcare worker. Thats the reason they virtually shutdown all of CUH and sent 60 healthcare workers home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

i put this at end of last thread...looked back and thread had ended....anyway...

whats happening in russia?....are they not reporting cases or testing ?.....or are they really not getting hit as hard....i see countries further away from equator like greenland not getting hit, but russia has hard hit countries like sweden and finland beside it....mongolia the same with low figures and china and south korea beside it.....and then theres turkeys numbers.
    its a curiosity.

But if they are unknown then you can't say what the rate is.

Correct
    it's amazing how people create stats using imaginary figures to suit their personal hopes

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    unreported cases don't seem to be that many after all as symptoms emerge almost in every case

Bullsh1t. That doesn’t even make any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

dougm1970 wrote: »
    i put this at end of last thread...looked back and thread had ended....anyway...

whats happening in russia?....are they not reporting cases or testing ?.....or are they really not getting hit as hard....i see countries further away from equator like greenland not getting hit, but russia has hard hit countries like sweden and finland beside it....mongolia the same with low figures and china and south korea beside it.....and then theres turkeys numbers.
    its a curiosity.

Not testing/not reporting. Viruses don't stop at national borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Longing

Renault F1 team members in isolation. F1 driver Daniel Ricciardo skips news conference as three team members isolate after showing symptoms of Coronavirus. On Sky Sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

The HSE are not testing anyone who has all the symptoms but don't have a link to a confirmed case or were in one of the "affected" regions (is Ireland not an affected region yet). So people who are at home with terrible flu symptoms and high temps are being told there is no need to test them I know of quite a few of these. One who has been in bed for nearly a week and was told there is no need to test. That could be a case. That's unreported. And same with a few others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Ooooh I love tables. You wouldn’t have the European numbers to put alongside it, would ya? So, 1st March is our day one and whatever, ie: Spain day announced their first case is written alongside day one. Would be interesting to see the rises in cases like that.

Yesterday I posted this table which I found on Twitter:

a comparative table of China, Italy, Germany and France.
    At 200 cases, the curves seem symmetrical. (John Hopkins University data)

ESvBky7WkAE1q3l?format=jpg&name=small

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

We have an opportunity to get ahead of this if only someone would make a firm decision.

OK, Here goes

DON'T PANIC!!

Bullsh1t. That doesn’t even make any sense.

well, google is your friend
    there was also link from the WHO doctor on the previous thread where this was covered, you are not up to date

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Correct
    it's amazing how people create stats using imaginary figures to suit their personal hopes

Such low sample data, makes it very hard to extrapolate, if we total cases breach 50 tonight (Rep only), we are likely seeing a significant uptick, if it stays below 50 this is a good sign, but could be attributable to both lack of testing and/or lack of positives.

Longing wrote: »
    Renault F1 team members in isolation. F1 driver Daniel Ricciardo skips news conference as three team members isolate after showing symptoms of Coronavirus. On Sky Sports.

Jaysus. F1 season being cancelled is a strong possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Those figures are based on known cases. There will be far more cases that are never reported, tested for, or even realised. The rate will be way lower as a result.

Whilst it's possible it's no guarantee either. There was widespread testing in Hubei/China once they got some semblance of control over the outbreak and they did not find the hundreds of thousands of mild cases the WHO were expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

I don't know how this school is covered to stay open, even insurance-wise. The risk of litigation by a parent whose child contracts the virus at the school and passes it on due to inadequate precautions must be astronomical.

Are you having a giraffe?

Inquitus wrote: »
    Such, low sample data, makes it very hard to extrapolate, if we total cases breach 50 tonight (Rep only), we are likely seeing a significant uptick, if it stays below 50 this is a good sign, but could be attributable to both lack of testing and/or lack of positives.

Testing regime here is very narrow so numbers are staying low.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Axfrderr

Looks like someone didn't get the pm last night with the big numbers!

For the love of god don't mention the **:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 33 Doctor Shipman

I'd say the football European Championships will be cancelled aswell.

well, google is your friend
    there was also link from the WHO doctor on the previous thread where this was covered, you are not up to date

You can’t claim that all cases show symptoms unless you know all cases. And there is no way of knowing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Realistically, the virus was just a news piece up to a few weeks ago. Most people have to get on with their lives, grinding to a halt while the rest of the world moves outside is not in our nature. Unless the moment comes where we are given clear warnings then I don’t begrudge people. There should have been a pledge with Varadkar addressing the nation for people to not go to Cheltenam or go to work if the situation is that serious.

The prick couldn't really do that when he is swanning off to the US for his annual hand over a bowl of fúcking shamrocks nonsense. I know him staying at home wont make any difference as he is about as useless as tits on a bull but he should be showing solidarity to all those having to restrict their movements.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Each F1 GP is like a mini Olympics, people fly in from all over the world to see both a new country and the race, with teams also based all across the world. It is perfect melting pot for disease and contagion, much the same as the Olympics but on a smaller scale. I would advocate that the season should be cancelled shortly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

flynnlives wrote: »
    thats exactly how he got it. I was told by someone who attended an emergency meeting last week in a big hospital.

That guy present with pneumonia and was sent home. A few days later he was back. He caught it from a healthcare worker. Thats the reason they virtually shutdown all of CUH and sent 60 healthcare workers home.

Wasn't there two cases of healthcare workers in the south in the past few days? How come there wasn't more?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

dougm1970 wrote: »

its a curiosity.
    its a russian way of dealing with things - no matter how bad it gets they wont go into reporting jack $hit - history shows it every time, for one it might be bad on the other hand given that most population are in capital and few cities and rather scarsce population nationwide few who might present with symptoms would be treated rest would be ignored - not taken into any stats, but aside that life would move on, better then spreading Bull news each minute i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Ooooh I love tables. You wouldn’t have the European numbers to put alongside it, would ya? So, 1st March is our day one and whatever, ie: Spain day announced their first case is written alongside day one. Would be interesting to see the rises in cases like that.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

deisedevil wrote: »
    The HSE are not testing anyone who has all the symptoms but don't have a link to a confirmed case or were in one of the "affected" regions (is Ireland not an affected region yet). So people who are at home with terrible flu symptoms and high temps are being told there is no need to test them I know of quite a few of these. One who has been in bed for nearly a week and was told there is no need to test. That could be a case. That's unreported. And same with a few others.

Most of them could just have a flue then
    Clusters of infected people eventually get detected because at least a few people will require intensive care, that's when testing begins.
    WHO doesn't believe that there can be clusters of undetected people in countries where figures re reported officially. They also clarified that asymptomatic cases are very rare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Cork_Langer1

Gardainfo on twitter are giving misinformation about the virus, when in fact they're the ones who are incorrect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I just want to correct something as a lot of people quoted me.

I either read the post wrong or it wasn't fully quoted, but I thought the person returned from Madrid but wasn't showing symptoms. That's why I said chances are he isn't sick. No need to isolate.

I was wrong. The person is sick and most definitely should NOT be in work. Apologies.

As for my employees. None of them can afford winter holidays so non of them need to self isolate. As per HSE advice if they are traced to a known case they will isolate. Hasn't happened yet. And before someone says it, no they can't work from home.

As for the 1% figure. We know that this is mild or even symptomless in many people. The testing is not widespread enough to give a true mortality rate yet. It's likely to be lower because we're mostly testing serious cases.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement