Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Who is going to discipline him? The clueless managers that dismissed it when it was brought to their attention earlier. They are the ones that should be sacked for gross negligence if he tests positive for C19!

But yeah I agree with you on these clowns coming into work when they are clearly ill and even more so in the current climate.

We had a similar thing happen here last year, staff member comes in coughing and spluttering and in rotten form and refused to go home saying 'ah its only a bit of a flu'. I told my office manager unless they send them home then i'm leaving as I don't want to catch it and pass it onto my children/family. They were sent home and didn't come back for over a week as they were so bad. Fúcking arseholes!!

We live in an economic system where people are told that taking time off work is the worst thing you can do. Don’t badmouth people, bad mouth your stupid company and stakeholders for facilitating that kind of culture. If he rang in sick, people would be calling him a bluffer, look at the work and jobs threads on Boards.ie to see what people think about people taking time off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Refractions

Inquitus wrote: »
    Same in the UK, guy has symptoms,:

Simply aren't the facilities to test every hypochondriac with a temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

What? Sure he's probably not sick?

The chances of catching it are slim enough. He's right to go to work unless he is showing symptoms.
    Angela Merkel stated in a press conference that 60 to 70 percent of all Germans will be infected. That's the exact opposite of slim enough and Ireland will be no different once it takes a hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Came across interesting article in National Geographic 10/03/20

Based on research and WHO reports, it may be for many an eyeopener regarding susceptibility of 20-50 year old cohort, among other widely held mistaken givens.

These underlying conditions make coronavirus more severe, and they're surprisingly common
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/03/these-underlying-conditions-make-coronavirus-more-severe-and-they-are-surprisingly-common/?sf231272833=1

cf following quotes.

'But evidence also shows that COVID-19 is more fatal across all age groups than seasonal influenza, with death rates six to 10 times higher for those under 50. Moreover, death isn’t the only danger, and severe cases of COVID-19 are more common among young adults than you might think.'
    {unfortunately comparative graph does not display properly here}

One alarming distinction with COVID-19 is the long incubation period before symptoms appear, which ranges from two to 14 days.

The kids are alright?
    At the same time, all the data collected so far suggest that COVID-19 is rare and less severe in children. Through February 11, the Chinese CDC recorded 44,600 confirmed cases, but only 400 involved kids under 9 years old, and none died. So does this mean children are less likely to be infected, or that they just don't get very sick?

“All of us in the field think the latter is true,” says John Williams, chief of the division of pediatric infectious diseases at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. Early tracing among close contacts and in households has found that children are just as likely to catch the novel coronavirus as adults. The low number of childhood cases reported so far could be due to testing being concentrated at hospitals, Williams notes. “Once testing involves more mild patients, outpatients in clinics, and doctor’s offices, you will find more adults and probably a lot more kids.”

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 33 Doctor Shipman

The national archives closed from 12pm today until further notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I actually think the CFR will drop again once Italy gets a handle on the outstanding cases.

Yes it all depends on HSE capacity. China managed to bring down the death rate but they ended up building additional hospitals
    Europe is dealing with one ourbreak so far, we haven't even seen other countries dealing with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

lol it will look like bum apocalypse poor kid getting sprayed into face :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I predict the virus will be on the run by mid to late Summer. That's my positive prediction, I might also add that if one is unlucky enough to contract the virus, certain drugs (currently in supply) will lessen the symptoms.

Glass always half full.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Simply aren't the facilities to test every hypochondriac with a temperature.

Aye but by limiting the testing to only those who are hospitalised by community transmission we are under-reporting those numbers massively, they are also the numbers to be most worried about, as they come from the most dangerous pools of spreaders, people who we don't know how they contracted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Gillespy

I'd be pretty angry if I was a Melbournian today seeing the F1 circus in town. Especially them damn dirty Italians in scarlet red walking around. Nothing to do with the virus, their cheating and corruption disgusts me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

A few teachers on here looking for a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Ms2011 wrote: »
    My husband just got an email from his job saying in the event of being infected or quarantined they should work from home, if that is not an option (as in my husband's case as he works on heavy machinery) the employee must use holidays or unpaid leave regardless if they have been instructed by a GP or the HSE to stay at home.
    I can see this causing alot of people to risk working even if they suspect they may be sick.

I imagine anyone quarantined can get illness benefit ? It’s not much but it’s more than it was last week

• Registered Users Posts: 7,240 ✭✭✭facehugger99

MadYaker wrote: »
    Schools shouldn't open tomorrow I don't know what they're waiting for. It's obvious they will do it soon anyway so why wait? Why do they have to wait for the HSE to make a decision?

You're right, a Boards poll should be used to make these kinds of decisions.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Schools shouldn't open tomorrow I don't know what they're waiting for. It's obvious they will do it soon anyway so why wait? Why do they have to wait for the HSE to make a decision? Fcuk that, is that not where a minister steps in and says right that's it schools closed?
    When the schools close, they will need to give some advanced notice. A lot of people can't work from home, so something would need to be arranged with employers. You can't just assume all places can function if a big part of the staff vanish. People will still need a wage and a job to return to. Notice gives people time to try to balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,666 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Schools shouldn't open tomorrow I don't know what they're waiting for. It's obvious they will do it soon anyway so why wait? Why do they have to wait for the HSE to make a decision? Fcuk that, is that not where a minister steps in and says right that's it schools closed?

The theory seems to be if they close things too early then they will have to reopen too early.

Which doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

The Italian government made the decision too late, citing "scientific" claims that there was absolutely no evidence to suggest shutting down schools would halt the spread.

60 million Italians are currently in "lockdown".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Cork teacher self-isolates after contact with Covid-19 case; Colaiste Chriost Rí to remain open

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/cork-teacher-self-isolates-after-contact-with-covid-19-case-colaiste-chriost-ri-to-remain-open-987240.html

You couldnt make this stuff up

• Registered Users Posts: 39,666 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

ixoy wrote: »
    When the schools close, they will need to give some advanced notice. A lot of people can't work from home, so something would need to be arranged with employers. You can't just assume all places can function if a big part of the staff vanish. People will still need a wage and a job to return to. Notice gives people time to try to balance.

The problem is they may not give ample notice.

Any questioning on what might happen is met with "HSE know what they are doing".

Which isn't an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Beanybabog wrote: »
    I imagine anyone quarantined can get illness benefit ? It’s not much but it’s more than it was last week

Yeah, if they test you for it. Better hope you went to northern Italy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Stay positive, post #221 is where it's at ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

If it's true that it can stay latent in the body and reemerge later then random outbreaks might be unavoidable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Boggles wrote: »
    The theory seems to be if they close things too early then they will have to reopen too early.

Which doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

The Italian government made the decision too late, citing "scientific" claims that there was absolutely no evidence to suggest shutting down schools would halt the spread.

60 million Italians are currently in "lockdown".

Odds are we'll be experiencing some sort of lock down in 3 weeks if the current pattern continues, hopefully not as severe.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    I think it's time to familiarize with the current stats, no matter how scary
    The 1% is pure fantasy

I agree it’s much lower as in South Korea

• Registered Users Posts: 16,099 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Ms2011 wrote: »
    My husband just got an email from his job saying in the event of being infected or quarantined they should work from home, if that is not an option (as in my husband's case as he works on heavy machinery) the employee must use holidays or unpaid leave regardless if they have been instructed by a GP or the HSE to stay at home.
    I can see this causing alot of people to risk working even if they suspect they may be sick.

If they are instructed by the HSE to stay at home then they are entitled to €305 a week

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I actually think the CFR will drop again once Italy gets a handle on the outstanding cases.
    By training up doctors in 2 weeks or what? They are pressing all sorts of non-related (eg orthopaedic) doctors into tackling this. They have recalled retired doctors. If the virus wasn't threatening the world there would be doctors from the rest of the EU in there helping. Italy won't get a handle on the CFR until most of their elderly population has died.

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Yes it all depends on HSE capacity. China managed to bring down the death rate but they ended up building additional hospitals
    Europe is dealing with one ourbreak so far, we haven't even seen other countries dealing with it

Which makes it vital for the majority to engage with the modified behaviour regime, plus a lockdown too I think.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Couldn't believe there was no update in the thread, didn't realise we were on a new one! Bloody hell, slow down Boardsies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

ITman88 wrote: »
    I agree it’s much lower as in South Korea

Have you actually checked South Koreans statistics? The mortality rate is 0.8% there, with many others in serious conditions. South Korea's stats are also skewed because half of the cases are cult members half of which are aged below 30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Wombatman wrote: »
    A few teachers on here looking for a holiday.

Any school shutdown, the teachers should get fined if they take a vacation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement