Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

rameire wrote: »
    29-Feb 1
    01-Mar 0 1
    02-Mar 0 1
    03-Mar 1 2
    04-Mar 4 6
    05-Mar 7 13
    06-Mar 5 18
    07-Mar 1 19
    08-Mar 2 21
    09-Mar 3 24
    10-Mar 10 34
    11-Mar 90 billion 34

Ooooh I love tables. You wouldn’t have the European numbers to put alongside it, would ya? So, 1st March is our day one and whatever, ie: Spain day announced their first case is written alongside day one. Would be interesting to see the rises in cases like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I'd thread carefully, she's up for a bit of agro today

Me? Nah! lol...all peaceful out here.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

Yes, this was my version from yesterday!

Ireland - 27th February Zero cases here in the ROI.

On the 1st of March 2020 the1st case of Covid-19 was recorded here in Ireland (ROI) by the HSE.

Trajectory from 1st of March . . . .

1, 6, 13, 19, 21, 24, 34, (. .), (. .), . . .

34 cases recorded as of today, Tuesday 11th March.

First case was February 29.

ixoy wrote: »
    Why do you expect that? Based on..?

Looks like someone didn't get the pm last night with the big numbers!

:( Either did I

Realistically you’re going to get it anyway. It’s not Ebola. Most people will be fine and won’t even need hospital treatment. I think this is what will happen, we’ll just come to live with it and Will just be a new normal after a while.

And no one will die?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Might be getting through to them in Italy.

Increasing anxiety > increasing behaviour modification > decreasing number of new cases > interrupts the exponential chain for growth.

New cases were down yesterday by a fair bit. Today's update (round 5pm) will be interesting.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-scared-italians-finally-heed-call-to-stay-at-home-as-deaths-rise-11955061

What has worked so far:

23 February: Italy had done 3000 tests and found 132 positive cases
    Lockdown starts for the epicentres, population 50000 people, with police and army check points
    That paid off : there were no cases in Codogno yesterday

4 March: approx 2700 positive cases - Italy closes schools and universities - nationwide

That worked in South Korea (although I don't know at which number of cases they took that decision)
    Hopefully France and Germany will follow suit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Ooooh I love tables. You wouldn’t have the European numbers to put alongside it, would ya? So, 1st March is our day one and whatever, ie: Spain day announced their first case is written alongside day one. Would be interesting to see the rises in cases like that.

Stats by country are in here

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

I know it's not much of a choice when you need to get where you're going, but people are choosing to squeeze into rammed buses.

The drivers only drive them, they don't make anyone get on.

Personal responsibility is key - especially going forward, people need to make choices based on what's best for them, and those around them.

The term there is Personal responsibility is core to this.
    As a society we are not brilliant at this but we do certainly need to look after ourselves and make sensible decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Looks like someone didn't get the pm last night with the big numbers!

:( Either did I

I did but left it as is as I was asked not to tell anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 33,006 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Graces7 wrote: »
    And no one will die?

No one is saying there will be no deaths.

There will be for sure, maybe quite a lot.

But not anywhere near what some doom merchants are saying.

• Advertisement

And no one will die?

Of course people will die. People die all the time.
    Corona may eventually just be another thing you can die from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

And no one will die?
    and if they do so what ? not like anyones announcing every old person or odd one dying each day worldwide from millions of preventable reasons.

i agree most will get it few casualties but life will move on, stopping everything wont make it go away in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,068 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Realistically you’re going to get it anyway. It’s not Ebola. Most people will be fine and won’t even need hospital treatment. I think this is what will happen, we’ll just come to live with it and Will just be a new normal after a while.

10%-20% of cases need serious/critical hospital care. We don't have the capacity for that on a broad scale. There would be nothing normal about people dying because we don't have the ICU capacity to treat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

How many brexit threads are there now? This will surely break the record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

eldamo wrote: »
    the guy who sits behind me in work is just back from madrid.

someone in the office raised it to the office manager that they were worried about him.

my boss refused to send him home, we go off an alert list from the robert koch institute to decide how bad an area is.

he isn't feeling well

has a doctors appointment at 1pm.

IT'S HAPPENING!

Look him firmly in the eye. Tell him not to be a prick and **** off home.

He is putting a doctor and hundreds of patients at risk.

In a few months time we will all be gone and when people eventually re-emerge and look at boards.ie all they will find is Graces7 sending endless storm and cat reports from west mayo, offshore.......

What a dreadful thought! Reminds me of?? "On the Beach" ? When they search for an apparent survivor.... and find a haphazard machine tapping out messages... lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

MadYaker wrote: »
    How many brexit threads are there now? This will surely break the record.

This will break the record by Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭boetstark

The 1% figure is likely a way overestimation though.

Can I ask why you think 1% is an overestimate. UK currently at 1.85% and Italy at 4.85%.
    Genuinely curious as to reasons you think we are different.
    Your mentality really worries me more than the doomsday merchants on here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Tippex wrote: »
    The term there is Personal responsibility is core to this.
    As a society we are not brilliant at this but we do certainly need to look after ourselves and make sensible decisions.

Plenty examples already that people are not making the right decisions. Even those who would have knowledge in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

https://twitter.com/breakingnewsie/status/1237721964556382209?s=20

A teacher at a Cork secondary school is in self-isolation after coming in close contact with someone who tested positive for Covid-19.
    “The teacher involved has informed the school that he has not tested positive for the virus,” the school said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,724 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Mr.S wrote: »
    Of the 34 cases in Ireland, how many are currently in ICU?

At least 2, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

In a few months time we will all be gone and when people eventually re-emerge and look at boards.ie all they will find is Graces7 sending endless storm and cat reports from west mayo, offshore.......

Over and out thank YOU

Cork is going to be our Northern Italy.

boetstark wrote: »
    Can I ask why you think 1% is an overestimate. UK currently at 1.85% and Italy at 4.85%.
    Genuinely curious as to reasons you think we are different.
    Your mentality really worries me more than the doomsday merchants on here

Those figures are based on known cases. There will be far more cases that are never reported, tested for, or even realised. The rate will be way lower as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Dashboard showing reported cases of coronavirus in the UK, including new cases, cases by upper tier local authority in England and number of deaths.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-track-coronavirus-cases

You can see:

reported cases of coronavirus in the UK
    reported cases per upper tier local authority (UTLA) in England
    new cases confirmed each day
    number of UK deaths due to coronavirus

You can also see the cases on a map and download the data in CSV format:

Daily indicators

Daily confirmed cases

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

cnocbui wrote: »
    At least 2, I believe.

we are half full capacity already!

Those figures are based on known cases. There will be far more cases that are never reported, tested for, or even realised. The rate will be way lower as a result.

But if they are unknown then you can't say what the rate is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭saabsaab

What this crisis shows how vulnerable the west is to a disruption of globalization in business. This or a war can shut down various sectors. It is a mistake to shut down strategic sectors in the country i.e. steel, sugar etc etc. Just remember when the snow stopped deliveries to shops as their warehouses were in one or two locations. We are too reliant on China and outside forces.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Cork is going to be our Northern Italy.

It already is. The workhorse of the nation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Candamir wrote: »
    So no actual suggestions relating to the few issues that I came up with off the top of my head with your policy just in relation to schools?
    Didn’t think so.

It’s very easy to make sweeping statements about what you think we should do - the clever people have to manage the fallout from those decisions.

And if you knew anything about human factors, you’d realise that what worked for the Chinese will not work for us. For all kinds of reasons that have been explored in part on the thread. But you seem to think that martial law is the way forward.

Yes, lets get into a long winded philosophical discussion about the pros and cons of this, lasting several weeks. By which stage we will be in an infinitely worse state because of inaction.

Or we could just act now. You can always get an education. But you only get one chance at living, particularly if you are a grandparent of an infected kid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement