Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

scamalert wrote: »
    what actions are those ? close down everything- shops airports, given $hit irish weather 2 weeks wont change a thing, going into lock down until theres no cases around etc, seems plain stupid. more interested further down the end of year to see actual stats relying on few countries stats is skewed statistics at this point, some say 70-80 pc will get infected here and there, why not just say prob everyone will get affected at some point- sounds more realistic.

it will ensure our health system doesnt collapse.
    We have only 255 icu beds for the whole country!

Will ye wake up for god's sake, the house is well and trully on fire!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

iv heard washing hands will do basically nothing , As there virus is caught pover 90 % of the time through breathing

I heard the complete opposite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

I can understand their reluctance to shut down schools and unis etc. I don't agree with it, but I understand it. It's a big move.

What I don't understand is why they haven't asked those who can work from home to do just that.
    It'll stop tens of thousands of people from congregating together for 9 hours a day, 5 days a week. It'll also get tens of thousands of people off the public transport system and off the roads in general. This will make commutes faster and less crowded.

It will work out fine for the tech companies, and cost the state nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

iv heard washing hands will do basically nothing , As there virus is caught pover 90 % of the time through breathing

Just makes people feel like they can do something to fight it eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

No vaccine/antidote till at least the Autumn, but I was heartened to hear that there are several drugs currently available to combat the extreme effects of the virus.

Pat Kenny had an expert on the radio this morning (shortly after 9am) and he was talking about several drugs used for other conditions which help Covid-19 patients. One such drug is used with arthritis, and when given to Covid patients it helps with breathing/ lung inflammation, so that's good to hear....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Gods Gift wrote: »
    That’s got to have a massive impact on your body.

Indeed. According to reports he's breathing on his own now but facing a long road to recovery.

We only have c.250 ICU beds in Ireland and I'm sure a portion of those are in use for non COVID 19 illnesses. So even a relatively low number of critical cases in Ireland will see ICU beds at full capacity and that won't be good for those who need critical care but there aren't any beds for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Maybe it’ll improve you chance of not transmitting it by %10.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Patient 1 in Italy is on the road to recovery and will be included in the "absolutely fine" category. He was 3 weeks in intensive care under ventilation. 3 weeks!

New cases in South Korea trippled since yesterday. Saying that because the Italian numbers went down yesterday means they are past their peak is extremely naïve.

Not sure where you got your South Korean numbers from but the ones I've seen, and I just googled again to double check, say that their number of new cases have continued to drop, and their number of recoveries now outnumber their of new cases so the number of active cases is also continuing to drop.

And I never said anyone who was in intensive care was absolutely fine. I just pointed out that 99.9%+ of people in the absolute worse hit areas of the world haven't even contracted the virus, never mind had mild symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

This is nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Bob24 wrote: »
    And they had the ability to add thousands of temporary hospitals beds and deploy a massive amount of medical ventilators within less than 2 weeks.

Are we really confident we can do this kind of thing?

I never thought about that and that's more worrying. China's figures would be skewed more against us because we don't have the resources to deal with a large breakout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Over 3,000 die in car accidents EVERYDAY...10 MILLION people die of cancer EVERY YEAR...The media/RTE are a joke they even hype up 60mph storms like they are Catergory 5 Hurricanes

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

Ive been following remdesivir since it was first mentioned at the end of January.

They have already ramped up production of remdesivir

The question I have is if it is the turns out successful. Will Gilead release the licence so it can be mass produced around the world to meet demand?

The Chinese didn't even wait. Like a month ago (I've been following this thing very closely since mid Jan) they copped it and started manufacturing without licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭the deftone

Really frustrated watching all this unfold. Every part of me completely wants to see flights to and from affected areas being grounded, schools closed, events cancelled ect....

Watching what has happended to Italy makes all this seem like a no brainer.

However I'm rational enough to know there are people a lot smarter than me advising the government not to do these things yet.

Can someone please help me understand the reasoning behind this?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,860 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

nthclare wrote: »
    Its very simple to just give us enough to live on, freeze all utility bills mortgages etc , give us free electricity, without us having to pay any units between the free time and when the free electricity is up.

If we don't starve and have warmth and foid, basic access to medicate etc

Im sure we'll come out of this.

WE BAILED OUT THE BANKS AND THE SYSTEM
    NOW ITS OUR TURN TO GET OUR PERCENTAGE OF OUR EXTRA TAXES AND TARRIFS BACK

I have a suspicion the government may haircut bank deposits to pay for this. No way will banks end up paying for this or the government be giving anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Especially after going to the toilet, sure arent we breathing in poo all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

There's a running event I'm supposed to be going to in May but I haven't signed up obviously but the amount of people saying 'I've signed up' and continuing to organise is unreal and I heard someone on the bus this morning who was going to a conference who was doubting it would happen but hadn't cancelled. Should we really wait for the government to tell us what we already know? Are we that thick?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Scotty # wrote: »
    How then are the energy supply companies supposed to pay their staff and maintenance bills?

The banks depend on people paying their mortgages to keep them funded. If people stop paying we'll quickly need to refund the banks again.

Daft ideas to be honest.

Well if you'd prefer to be paying your utility bills mortgage etc on 305 a week if it comes to it.

Good luck with that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Graces7 wrote: »
    Thin rubber gloves which you then discard when you get home or wherever. And avoid touching your face.

Once the gloves touch anything they are useless. You can wash your hands as easily, if not more so, as take off rubber gloves. Gloves are for very short term use between patients or possible contaminants. Touching a shopping trolley, picking up goods, handling money, opening a door etc with the same pair of gloves is a futile exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I know I've already quoted it before, but it's worth doing again

Dr Paul O’Brien, an Irish regulatory expert based in China, says the most effective mitigation strategy Ireland could have adopted would have been to reduce the risk of infection to zero. “Early adoption of a proactive strategy involving risk-stratified mandatory quarantine of all inward travel from high-risk zones could have made this [the avoidance of panic] a non-issue for Ireland.”

Seeing that Ireland decided not to do this, it is worth getting rid of the infection before it becomes too late to be able to halt the infection.

Stopping flight to risk areas would not have reduced the risk to zero and if the do for used those words then he was very stupid. Would it have reduced it yes probably but not to zero. You know why people can fly from other airports and other countries not hotspots had cases so we could get them from them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

flynnlives wrote: »
    It went ahead becasue the brits have accepted mass deaths. They know that fighing this will need draconian action, lockdowns etc. They cant do that casue their an open economy about to contract due to Brexit anyways.

Wouldn’t it be mad if we ended up in a situation where the whole of the EU shut their borders on the UK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Especially after going to the toilet, sure arent we breathing in poo all the time.

Don’t snore your coke off the toilet seat.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Patient 1 in Italy is on the road to recovery and will be included in the "absolutely fine" category. He was 3 weeks in intensive care under ventilation. 3 weeks!

That's great news for him but what a fuçking burden to have to live with for the rest of his life. It was in no way his fault that he spread the virus he was repeatedly told he had the flu. But to have been dubbed as 'patient 1' & 'the Italian superspreader' in a country which has so far shown an absolutely huge mortality rate and put a western democracy into a previously unthinkable kind of lockdown. To be the person placed at the centre of most of the infections in Europe and the massive recession that will almost inevitably follow. It's just so utterly sh^t for him.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

quokula wrote: »
    Not sure where you got your South Korean numbers from but the ones I've seen, and I just googled again to double check, say that their number of new cases have continued to drop, and their number of recoveries now outnumber their of new cases so the number of active cases is also continuing to drop.

And I never said anyone who was in intensive care was absolutely fine. I just pointed out that 99.9%+ of people in the absolute worse hit areas of the world haven't even contracted the virus, never mind had mild symptoms.

Daily new cases South Korea:
    9th March: 165
    10th March: 35
    11th March: 242

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Really frustrated watching all this unfold. Every part of me completely wants to see flights to and from affected areas being grounded, schools closed, events cancelled ect....

However I'm rational enough to know there are people a lot smarter than me advising the government not to do these things yet.

Smartness is relative.

Who are government advisors? Think about it. Do they have the best interest of the people at heart or do they have the same world view to the people they are advising i.e. needing to protect the invisible manmade economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Once the gloves touch anything they are useless. You can wash your hands as easily, if not more so, as take off rubber gloves. Gloves are for very short term use between patients or possible contaminants. Touching a shopping trolley, picking up goods, handling money, opening a door etc with the same pair of gloves is a futile exercise.

Why, though? It might be easier to discard gloves than have to find somewhere to go and wash your hands, if you're out in public.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Ye, you'd think that.

Do you think this country is as well equipped as Italy to deal with this? Not a hope and we'll be paying the price in the coming weeks and months ahead. Unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Ive been following remdesivir since it was first mentioned at the end of January.

They have already ramped up production of remdesivir

The question I have is if it is the turns out successful. Will Gilead release the licence so it can be mass produced around the world to meet demand?

TBF, I think they'll have to; don't think the Chinese haven't already reverse engineered it anyway.

I think that drug will sort a lot of this out tbh; they will make much more money from a treatment than a vaccine anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

spookwoman wrote: »
    Bull! People with auto iimune problems are the ones that are told they need to vaccinate. Have crossover symptoms of lupus, cfs, fibro and you can ask many others with the conditions that doctors advice you to get flu jab every year.

So my GP AND consultants are wrong? WOW
    Just WOW!

Even on the anti vaxx thread they want everyone who can to be vaccinated to protect folk with immune deficiency who cannot be vaccinated.

See how dangerous medical "advice" on this thread can be!

And please mind your language! REALLY!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,860 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It's too late for banning flights to be of use once you have community transmission within your country. It might have worked two or three weeks ago with people going into quarantine from inbound flights than stopping them. Singapore showed the way but this country isn't run by smart people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement