Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

We've been at home for a week now. We weren't able to get hand sanitiser before we decided to self isolate. Today we have to go out to get food. Hopefully we will find sanitiser before too long and keep our hands clean as we go. A curse on those people with multiple bottles of hand sanitiser tucked away "just in case".

We both have health issues that might well make infection very serious for us. I've been coughing for a couple of weeks, but no fever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I think we can get a little bit carried away with the figures. When they mentioned 1.9m people catching the virus, that doesn’t necessarily mean that the 1.9m will have severe enough symptoms to even get diagnosed. Working death rates off these numbers might be erroneous.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Angela Merkel was saying 70% of Germany's pop. will be infected, I think it's quite irresponsible - this will only cause panic.

That means at least 1M deaths in Germany

(87M*0.7*0.02 = 1,148,000

Can anyone see that scenario ?? really ?

At what stage do you think it’s not irresponsible to say what experts are advising or predicting? I’m not having a go at you, I just think they have only so many ways of getting populations to cop on and take this seriously. People whining about sporting events being cancelled says a lot about what they are having to deal with.

I appreciate there is a fine line between panic and preparing but western democracy’s can’t shut themselves down like China. They also don’t seem to be able to manage this like other Asian countries. So their only methods may be to frighten populations into doing what has to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Thewife wrote: »
    Pascal o donoghue was asked on the Sean o rourke show why we haven’t stopped flights from Italy coming here and amongst other things he said we need to think how Ireland would feel if a country banned us from landing or our citizens from arriving
    He is worried on the effect on Irish tourism.
    He has seen the Italian tourism industry ground to a halt and he is afraid of that to happen in Ireland once the number of cases start ramping up to a three digit number.
    He should realise that tourism is now stopping for a while - until the epidemic is contained Worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

niallo27 wrote: »
    Well if you were high risk then people would be more likely to take a chance on a vaccine.

No necessarily, as some folk with autoimmune problems cannot take vaccines,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

If they're self absorbed enough to go to Cheltenham at a time like this you can be sure they'll be in the office Monday boasting about it. Many of them were probably on skiing holidays a few weeks ago.

It's not guaranteed that anybody from Chetenham would have had the disease. It was a bit of a gamble, but a gamble it was.

I see that the number of cases have risen here since I last checked. I assume that this is in some way connected to northern Italy? Allowing people to come in here from northern Italy without any checks, isolation, or screening wasn't a gamble. It was guaranteed that there would be carriers among these people.

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how countries like Italy are coping with funerals ?
    Neither weddings nor funerals are taking place in Italy

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

Keeping the people in our country safe and alive is what should be the most important thing on his and their minds ! Tourism might die for a short term but it will resurrect itself eventually , people who might die from this can never be resurrected !
    otnomart wrote: »
    He has seen the Italian tourism industry ground to a halt and he is afraid of that to happen in Ireland once the number of cases start ramping up to a three digit number.
    He should realise that tourism is now stopping for a while - until the epidemic is contained Worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Mr.S wrote: »
    What’s the obsession with hand sanitiser? Isn’t warm water and soap just as effective?

Handy when out, surgical gloves are better and they can be gotton on the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I think we can get a little bit carried away with the figures. When they mentioned 1.9m people catching the virus, that doesn’t necessarily mean that the 1.9m will have severe enough symptoms to even get diagnosed. Working death rates off these numbers might be erroneous.

It is of course. The vast majority will probably never know they had it. People have to stop panicking...and stop hoarding bog roll!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,740 ✭✭✭✭josip

What’s the obsession with hand sanitiser? Isn’t warm water and soap just as effective?

Soap and water is hard to use when you're out and about.
    And out and about is where you most need to keep your hands clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Angela Merkel was saying 70% of Germany's pop. will be infected, I think it's quite irresponsible - this will only cause panic.

That means at least 1M deaths in Germany

(87M*0.7*0.02 = 1,148,000

Can anyone see that scenario ?? really ?

While at first glance the numbers do seem ludicrous to me- that’s the way the trends are pointing.

The lunacy of the numbers needs to be qualified by the fact that i have not lived through something like this before and don’t have a great understanding of what’s gona happen.

I’d imagine the 2% rate will fall off as people take preventative measures and a better understanding of the virus comes about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 industry accountant

Not very useful when out and about though!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

While at first glance the numbers do seem ludicrous to me- that’s the way the trends are pointing.

The lunacy of the numbers needs to be qualified by the fact that i have not lived through something like this before and don’t have a great understanding of what’s gona happen.

I’d imagine the 2% rate will fall off as people take preventative measures and a better understanding of the virus comes about

This.

I've been saying all along that as soon as one person dies in this country from it, the place will effectively shut down whether the government say anything or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

More effective
    Hand gel should be for when you are out and about
    Also no good for heavily soiled hands
    You really cant beat good ol soap and water...providing you use it correctly of course a quick splash isn't good enough...at least 30 seconds,good lather,between fingers and don't neglect the thumb give it a good lather too :D

gozunda wrote: »
    Detention School best place for the little darlings...

Most parents would agree I reckon ... :D

Old saying.. " Teacher's rest, mother's pest..."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Stupid question

I assume this cant be stopped until we find a vaccine?

Ardillaun wrote: »
    Although some of the stories from hospitals in Italy are alarming, I’m guessing that the biggest cause of a high rate like that, even in Lombardy, is still underdiagnosis of asymptomatic and mild cases. One way to assess this is the number of tests. Until Italy reaches South Korean levels of testing at least, it is probably missing thousands of cases and thus inflating its fatality rate.
    Massive effort from Italy which yesterday reached 60000 tests.

The new fast test will also help with this:

Italian company DiaSorin completes studies for launch of rapid response molecular test for covid-19

https://uk.reuters.com/article/brief...-idUKFWN2B21CB

product expected to be launched in Europe CE marked and submitted to FDA under emergency use authorization process by end of March 2020
    test to enable sample-to-answer results within 60 minutes compared to 5-7 hours currently necessary to report patient results

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

wibbs you are a dangerous person
    Probably. C'mere and I'll cough on you.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

otnomart wrote: »

I’m curious to know how much this will cost in the long run. You’d hope that it’s maybe 6 months disruption and even if there is a second wave in winter we would possibly be more prepared. With a potential vaccine possibly next summer let’s say this could really stagnate things for a year.

If most countries go through something similar then they all have a similar problem to resolve. I would of thought it reasonable to assume that , like 2008, most things will recover. Tourism in particular should surely bounce back as it’s not like this virus is unique to Ireland.

The only way it can cause as much or more damage as 2008 is if there is a contagion effect that causes other issues like lots of bank defaults (watch PCP finance possibly collapse) which is prob a bigger issue then what we will directly see. But on the flip side if everybody is suggesting the same perhaps there will be some sort of global reboot were debt isn’t necessarily written off but is remanaged (like they are sort of talking about doing)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Stupid question

WHO: "Pushed back.Slowed.Delayed"
    No it's not "going away":(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Graces7 wrote: »
    No necessarily, as folk with autoimmune problems cannot take vaccines,

Bull! People with auto iimune problems are the ones that are told they need to vaccinate. Have crossover symptoms of lupus, cfs, fibro and you can ask many others with the conditions that doctors advice you to get flu jab every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

We could assume hospitalization would be required for about 20% of those 1.9 million, and that 10% of those hospitalized would die.

These rates may be erroneous, but they are unlikely to be at this stage. With around 119,000 cases, 66,000 recoveries, and 4,200 deaths we should have ample data at this stage to make predictions, and predictions are useful.

For instance if those figures hold true, we would be looking at 380 thousand hospitalizations. I find it hard to believe that our health service would be in any state to cope with that.

89814415_1907602816040359_7401569213380296704_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=2d5d41&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=OHC5bmg-PoYAX86fdr3&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&_nc_tp=14&oh=11ae034df2d4f8659b02bc5793559f0a&oe=5E96054B

Maybe supermarkets need to start rationing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Levelling the curve as early as possible is the key, before hospitals become overwhelmed with cases.

Waiting until it becomes really bad before closing stuff down is a bad approach. By then its likely too late.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

ITman88 wrote: »
    Sounds a lot like most posters on this thread!
    Maybe, but if he were to post here he'd be roasted by others and likely banned for being a complete fcuking moron and the posters on this thread aren't pretending to be the "leader of the free world".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The 2% is only affected by how many respirators there are, that's why they are dying like flies in Italy and probably Iran. Preventive measures will only affect the number of cases, with the number severe likely to be greater than the number of respirators.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Stupid question

or until we put the country under lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

We've been at home for a week now. We weren't able to get hand sanitiser before we decided to self isolate. Today we have to go out to get food. Hopefully we will find sanitiser before too long and keep our hands clean as we go. A curse on those people with multiple bottles of hand sanitiser tucked away "just in case".

We both have health issues that might well make infection very serious for us. I've been coughing for a couple of weeks, but no fever.

I got some wet wipes and squirted some milton into the packet now I have some antibacterial wipes. There was no dettol wipes or sprays yesterday in my supermarket but in the baby aisle lots of bottles of milton
    maybe an idea if stuck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

josip wrote: »
    Grandchildren, if they have any.
    I've found that as a last resort, "think of your grandchildren :)" can sometimes get the message across.

I found "Do you want to go back into hospital, again?" knowing she hates the hospital experience, something she can't argue with.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement