Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Michael Osterholm said it on the Rogan Podcast.

He is Regents Professor, McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in Public Health, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP), Distinguished Teaching Professor in the Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, a professor in the Technological Leadership Institute, College of Science and Engineering, and an adjunct professor in the Medical School, all at the University of Minnesota.

I think possibly what he is referring to is that the virus can and does become airborne and is spread that way also. So if someone sneezes or coughs without covering their mouths, its highly likely the have made the virus airborne. If people carry out effective social isolation and if those who believe they are infected wear masks, this danger is reduced.

After that we know the virus can exist for a long time on surfaces. So potentially on door handles and the like. In this regard hand washing is effective to prevent transfer to the face.

In summary you need the full repertoire of hand washing, social isolation, sneezing/coughing into your elbow, no hand shaking, etc.

I think eventually they will have to restrict or shutdown public transport if they want to get on top of this. The Chinese did that I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭the deftone

What will happen of schools close and doctors and nurses can't go to work as they have nobody to mind their kids?

This doesn't seem like an obstacle that couldn't be overcome

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Poland don’t mess about, 25 cases and they close all schools.

Moldova have 3 cases and they've closed down all schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

What will happen of schools close and doctors and nurses can't go to work as they have nobody to mind their kids?

How many? You'd think every doctor was married to a nurse and they all have 6 kids under 10 if you believe the propaganda

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

So if we had halted Italian we would have had no cases really. Can you really say that as that is what your implying

Well yes.

As I said before, this thing doesn't spontaneously generate.

If nobody traveled to and from China in January no other country would have been infected with the disease.

If nobody traveled from Ireland to northern Italy in February, we wouldn't have got the disease.

It can only spread from human to human. It literally cannot survive without a human host.

If a country doesn't have the disease, nobody in the country can get the disease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Axfrderr

dodzy wrote: »
    9 confirmed cases on the island of Eire

Huh? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Joe Rogan of all people had a great podcast last night about the Virus with Michael Osterholm

Basically this will only truly stop when the majority of people have caught it and build up an immune system,
    Stopping cold and flu's (same family) from spreading is like trying to stop the wind,
    Hand sanitizing won't really change anything as you breath it in ,
    This is here for 6 to 9 month or longer so stopping how we live really shouldn't be an option ,
    Warm weather won't stop it
    Cancelling schools may have a worse effect, Most nurse's are mother's who then have to take time off to mind the kids,
    Figure of the % who die from it is much lower than reported as so many will have it and never know so aren't counted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Have we crossed the Rubicon yet?

I think possibly what he is referring to is that the virus can and does become airborne and is spread that way also. So if someone sneezes or coughs without covering their mouths, its highly likely the have made the virus airborne. If people carry out effective social isolation and if those who believe they are infected wear masks, this danger is reduced.
    What he said was very clear and does not need reframing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Over 3,000 die is car accidents EVERYDAY...10 MILLION people die of cancer EVERY YEAR...The media/RTE are a joke they even hype up 60mph storms like they are Catergory 5 Hurricanes

:rolleyes:

Maybe different for other people here, but I'll listen to world renowned experts like Michael Osterholm who have studied contagions for decades rather than hard chaws on Boards.ie slating everyone and everything because they can't get their gargle on Paddy's Day.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Simdruid

iguana wrote: »
    I don't know. My skin has cracked in a couple of places on one hand because I spilled a mild bleach solution on it but have continued with over washing and steriliser use that's stripped the skin of it's natural oils. I've been keeping them heavily moisturised while at home but the skin has opened in a couple of places now. I'm going to have to start wearing a rubber glove on that hand now because tiny open cuts are a perfect way for the virus to infect me.

I get cracked hands a lot, and they're bad right now because of all the extra hand washing. What usually helps me (doesn't get rid of it completely but makes it more bearable during the next day) is wearing a pair of cotton gloves (sold by pharmacies, usually just ask them and they have them behind the counter) overnight after putting on a lot of thick moisturiser (even just coconut oil).

• Registered Users Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The figure on Worlometers is showing that 88% are mild now with 12% in the serious to critical category. Even in Italy where things are absolutely dire the current number of people in serious/critical condition is 10.3%, nearly 90% of confirmed active cases there are classified as mild.

Take the mild/severe classification on Worldometers with a pinch of salt. It’s based on self reported classifications.
    For example, Iran have had 9000 cases, and are still claiming to have zero serious cases, despite having 354 deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

He was on Pat Kenny a few weeks ago and this started to emerge. Effectively said this wouldn't be a problem, not to worry. He may be an expert in his field, but as far as COVID-19 goes, he's learning like the rest.

Wee bit starstruck, enjoying the attention a bit too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

dodzy wrote: »
    9 confirmed cases on the island of Eire on Sunday morning. Fast forward a mere 3 days later to yesterday.....and we have 50.

We're in real trouble here.

Leo still jetting off to the US this afternoon ?

10 days later, not 3?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Careless driving and cancer is an infectious disease
    This is new

Is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Poland closing all schools, universities, museums, cinemas and sporting events to be behind closed doors.

Fewer cases than us and no deaths like us.

Meanwhile we have National League GAA proceeding as normal, as well as none of the measures listed above.

Be interesting to compare us to a more proactive country like Poland in coming weeks and months.

Eastern Europe in general is doing a better job than western Europe in relation to this. Germany, France, and UK have been the front runners of saying 'Just relax. Let it happen.'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Over 1000 cases in Madrid alone now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,683 ✭✭✭✭josip

Ann22 wrote: »
    My mam is nearly 82 with a myriad of health problems..asthma/copd/brichiecstasis/diabetes/heart problems. She is almost blind and doesnt leave the house. She has a vascular clinic apt tomorrow in the Louth hosp. I think she should postpone it. The Secretary on the phone told her everyone is attending as usual. Worried for her though. Think it's best to postpone. What would you guys do?

My mother is 83. She had a dermatology appointment in Waterford on Friday.
    I had a chat with her over the weekend about the virus in general.
    Yesterday she cancelled her dermatology appointment.
    Everybody more relieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The figure on Worlometers is showing that 88% are mild now with 12% in the serious to critical category. Even in Italy where things are absolutely dire the current number of people in serious/critical condition is 10.3%, nearly 90% of confirmed active cases there are classified as mild.

Take the mild/severe classification on Worldometers with a pinch of salt. It’s based on self reported classifications.
    For example, Iran have had 9000 cases, and are still claiming to have zero serious cases, despite having 354 deaths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Joe Rogan of all people had a great podcast last night about the Virus with Michael Osterholm

Basically this will only truly stop when the majority of people have caught it and build up an immune system,
    Stopping cold and flu's (same family) from spreading is like trying to stop the wind,
    This is here for 6 to 9 month or longer so stopping how we live really shouldn't be an option ,
    Cancelling schools may have a worse effect, Most nurse's are mother's who then have to take time off to mind the kids,
    Figure of the % who die from it is much lower than reported as so many will have it and never know so aren't counted

I wish morons like you would stop saying hand sanitizing doesn’t help. It’s ok to be stupid but you dont need to spread it around. Wash your fcuking hands

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

gabeeg wrote: »
    I think so too. "Flattening the curve" just slows the rate of infection, it doesn't stop people from getting it.

Though hopefully it'll be met by treatments and maybe even vaccines before it gets through the entire population.

Absolutely
    WHO have been saying for weeks "Slowing down" "Reduce number of cases"
    "Push back" Never once did they say "Eradicate" "Wipe it out"

Covid 19 is here to stay, even Vaccine will only reduce cases and deaths
    We will need to keep up our guards.Complacency will be our biggest downfall after this initial outbreak

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Most nurses with kids will be married too, presumably their husbands can work from home

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

2,216 new cases globally today. 101 deaths.

We blew past the 120k milestone. It's not even half eleven

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

American approach to CV spread.

I prefer the Chinese approach.

Ann22 wrote: »
    We have to travel in a taxi....I suppose maybe we could sit near the door where it isn't so crowded. Chances are the type of clinic it is, she won't be the only fragile person there.

Tough call so perhaps consider -

Is the clinic in area that has already confirmed cases?
    Is the clinic part of a large area solely for day services? Is there loads of different clinics in the one section at the same time?
    Does your mum like to stop and chat to everyone (my mum does)? Would she be ok just talking to you?
    Oh, can you rent a wheelchair? I think you stick a coin in like a shopping trolley (wipe it down) so you could go to a place where you’re not beside everyone rather than the busy seating area.

All I can think of for now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Steve F wrote: »
    Absolutely
    WHO have been saying for weeks "Slowing down" "Reduce number of cases"
    "Push back" Never once did they say "Eradicate" "Wipe it out"

Covid 19 is here to stay, even Vaccine will only reduce cases and deaths
    We will need to keep up our guards.Complacency will be our biggest downfall after this initial outbreak

Michael Osterholm even said that the reality is that there may be another spike in China now that social norms are returning as people go back to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,683 ✭✭✭✭josip

nthclare wrote: »
    Frequently throughout the day im going to post, this

IF SHUTDOWN OCCURS FREE ELECTRICITY FREEZE UTILITY BILLS AND MORTGAGES ETC
    NO CHARGES FOR THE ENERGY USED BETWEEN FREE TIME AND CUTOFF

WE BAILED OUT THE SYSTEM NOW THEY CAN GIVE US BACK OUR DUES

What is this "SYSTEM" ?
    Do you understand how an economy works and that things have a cost that has to be paid for by somebody in the end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Graces7 wrote: »
    So my GP AND consultants are wrong? WOW
    Just WOW!

Even on the anti vaxx thread they want everyone who can to be vaccinated to protect folk with immune deficiency who cannot be vaccinated.

See how dangerous medical "advice" on this thread can be!

And please mind your language! REALLY!

It’s not every immunocompromised person that can’t receive vaccines. It depends on the person and the vaccine. Many immunocompromised people are told to get the flu jab for example. I know that because I’m one of those people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

gabeeg wrote: »
    2,216 new cases globally today. 101 deaths.

We blew past the 120k milestone. It's not even half eleven

That beats the mileage on my car :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement