Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Stheno wrote: »
    Everyone of the 400 odd employees in our Irish offices can work from home

All supplier visits are banned as are attendance at conferences, and visits by contractors

Normally people work from home a day or two a week in my place

One thing I've learned from this virus outbreak is the amount of companies Boardsies work for who allow working from home.

Working in the civil service, the vast majority of employees would never have that option. If we have a cold, we just have to get on with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Virus finally hit my area.
    And by that I mean there is no pasta or loo roll in the local tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

is_that_so wrote: »
    South Korea - 35 cases today. Going the right way.
    Yes.
    Only thing that worries me about South Korea is the recovery rate, only less than 300 (according to Worldometers), why is that ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

There was an old man in Lidl earlier and he was coughing his face off. It sounded more like a “something went down the wrong way” cough than anything else, but his face was gone red and he got so bad he had to sit down on top of the waters to catch a breather. Usually I would ask if he’s alright but I just didn’t take the chance and I feel guilty about it since because everyone was avoiding him.
    Both my neighbours either side of me are in their mid 70s and the next house is the same

I sincerely hope I will be able to help them if they fall ill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

There was an old man in Lidl earlier and he was coughing his face off. It sounded more like a “something went down the wrong way” cough than anything else, but his face was gone red and he got so bad he had to sit down on top of the waters to catch a breather. Usually I would ask if he’s alright but I just didn’t take the chance and I feel guilty about it since because everyone was avoiding him.

So you wouldn’t give him mouth to month?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Mr.S wrote: »
    Breaking news is it?

It was for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

I wish they would mention the towns affected, if not that, even the County would do. Might wake up people a small bit if they know it’s near them.
    I honestly cannot get over the amount of people that still seem to not give a fcuk about this. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

tom1ie wrote: »
    Someone earlier posted a link to the breakdown of the Italian stats. I couldn’t open one link and the other link was Italian.
    I translated it. Here’s some of the info:

10% of cases are asymptomatic, 5% with few symptoms, 30% with mild symptoms, 31% are symptomatic, 6% have severe symptoms and 19% are critical. 24% of the cases examined are hospitalized. The analysis confirms that 56.6% of the deceased people are over 80 years old, and two thirds of these have 3 or more pre-existing chronic diseases.

So that 56.6% of:

The analysis, out of 8342 positive cases at 9 March at 10 am, shows that 1.4% are under the age of 19, 22.0% are in the 19-50 range, 37.4% between 51 and 70 and 39.2% are over 70, for a median age of 65. 62.1% are men. There are 583 positive health workers.

They are mental stats.
    Could you post that link again? Possibly sticky it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    They're doing a great job.

I see that UK are releasing a data visualisation tool to map geographical spread.

We don't need that of course, with only four options.

Ireland 2020 we have 78 genders but we only have four areas in the entire country.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

aloevera33 wrote: »
    What happens people who genuinely have a chest infection ( not coronavirus) and cant visit G.P now

That's exactly what I was wondering, if you ring with your symptoms they won't allow you to see your GP, even for kids that might need antibiotics, what's the plan for that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Travelers have came out with their own hand washing method:

https://twitter.com/clodaghmeaney_/status/1237448167584608258?s=21

Do facemask on?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭solidasarock

10 new cases.

It was nice to see the Virus took the weekend easy at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Best we've got, officially.

TPR6YQx.png

Its something like this....
    1 Glasnevin, Dublin Male
    2 East of country Female
    3 Clare Female
    4 Clare Female
    5 Clare Male
    6 Clare GP Male
    7 South of country - Cork Male
    8 East link to Trinity Male
    9 East Male
    10 East Male
    11 East Male
    12 West -Link to Clare? Female
    13 West -Link to Clare? Female
    14 East of country Male
    15 West -Link to Clare? Female
    16 South of country Female
    17 South of country Male
    18 South of country Female
    19 East of country Male
    20 East of country Female
    21 South of country - Cork Male
    22 South of country Female
    23 West of country Female
    24 South of country Female
    25 South Male
    26 South Male
    27 South Male
    28 East Male
    29 East Female
    30 West -Link to Clare? Male
    31 West -Link to Clare? Female
    32 South - Link to Cork Case? Female
    33 South - Link to Cork Hospital Male
    34 East - Possible Hospital Link Female

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,325 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A few reminders:

1. Some posters have been less than civil in their posting - particularly in the last few hours. Continue interacting in an uncivil manner and your posting privileges will be removed

2. Until something is reported "officially" treat anything you read here with suspicion. I am not saying posters are deliberately posting misleading or incorrect information, but this site, as well as other social media outlets cannot be considered "verifiable" news outlets. Of course if the likes of the HSE have a verified Twitter account we can assume what they post is accurate. Randomers on here or elsewhere cannot be considered "official" or "reliable" sources

3. I have little doubt there is some kind of lag in reporting "official" updates to numbers as I equally have little doubt there will be procedures to follow before any case becomes formally "confirmed". Hence you may feel you have information that contradicts any "official" information. That's not necessarily the case - it may be that you have access to information before others. Regardless of that do not post it as an actual case here. We can only go by official updates and you can expect others to be sceptical about anything not coming from an official source. That does not make your information wrong, but it needs to be formally verified before you should be claiming anything is "fact"

Any questions, PM me - do not respond to this post in-thread

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

One thing I've learned from this virus outbreak is the amount of companies Boardsies work for who allow working from home.

Working in the civil service, the vast majority of employees would never have that option. If we have a cold, we just have to get on with it!

Quite frankly I would refuse a job offer if I could not work from home

There are a few of us from my office currently doing it for various mandated reasons and I'm not joking you but the isolation of being at home has strengthened relationships, caused us to look out for each other and generally improved my opinion of my colleagues.

There is a real community spirit of supporting each other

• Registered Users Posts: 18,020 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Gintonious wrote: »

Good advice. Unless things turn apocalyptic and like something out of an end of days sci fi movie, the overwhelming number of Irish people will not die of anything corona related.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

tuxy wrote: »
    Virus finally hit my area.
    And by that I mean there is no pasta or loo roll in the local tesco.

Shop here only has single ply toilet paper.
    My ass is to posh for dat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

I said to a colleague earlier that I'm gonna end up choking by trying to suppress my coughs since everyone looks at you funny when you do cough, even to just clear your throat. Maybe thats what happened the poor man!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,581 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

10 new cases.

It was nice to see the Virus took the weekend easy at least.

especially given the number of Italians that were let in for a rugby game that was cancelled 2 weeks ago -

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

So no school closures ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I’m NW so no idea what section they’ll shove me in to when I get it.

Nothing in the midlands yet? Our are they counted in those figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

twirlagig wrote: »
    I wish they would mention the towns affected, if not that, even the County would do. Might wake up people a small bit in they know it’s near them.
    I honestly cannot get over the amount of people that still seem to not give a fcuk about this. :(

It would help dispel rumors, for the the last week I keep hearing 4 people have it in my area and one elderly person with underlying health issues has died from it with an autopsy proving it, even finger pointing is happening at a large employer as rumors that an employee has it and is not self isolating keep being leveled at staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭PhantomHat

thebaz wrote: »
    especially given the number of Italians that were let in for a rugby game that was cancelled 2 weeks ago -
    Hopefully no Italians brought any virus along with them however if they did it would be days before symptoms would show in the infected

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Stheno wrote: »
    Both my neighbours either side of me are in their mid 70s and the next house is the same

I sincerely hope I will be able to help them if they fall ill

Yep and I think that’s why I feel so guilty and am thinking about it since. How something like this has completely altered how I respond to a situation. Unfortunately I have a close family member who would be in the extremely high risk category so I just could not take the chance. I did take a glance over as I was leaving and he seemed to be pottering about so I’m sure he’s okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,020 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Bobtheman wrote: »
    So no school closures ?

Not for now. You would think case numbers would have to go much higher (or something alarming happening in Europe).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

tom1ie wrote: »
    Someone earlier posted a link to the breakdown of the Italian stats. I couldn’t open one link and the other link was Italian.
    I translated it. Here’s some of the info:

10% of cases are asymptomatic, 5% with few symptoms, 30% with mild symptoms, 31% are symptomatic, 6% have severe symptoms and 19% are critical. 24% of the cases examined are hospitalized. The analysis confirms that 56.6% of the deceased people are over 80 years old, and two thirds of these have 3 or more pre-existing chronic diseases.

So that 56.6% of:

The analysis, out of 8342 positive cases at 9 March at 10 am, shows that 1.4% are under the age of 19, 22.0% are in the 19-50 range, 37.4% between 51 and 70 and 39.2% are over 70, for a median age of 65. 62.1% are men. There are 583 positive health workers.

They are mental stats.

The symptom analysis is scary but then the age analysis explains it. Only 23.4% of cases are under 50? Only 1.4% are under 19? That shows that cases of young people with the virus are not being picked up as they have v little symptoms so the absence of such asymptomatic cases is skewing the symptoms data and making it look far more severe than it is (not that it isnt severe enough obviously)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Xenji wrote: »
    It would help dispel rumors, for the the last week I keep hearing 4 people have it in my area and one elderly person with underlying health issues has died from it with an autopsy proving it, even finger pointing is happening at a large employer as rumors that an employee has it and is not self isolating keep being leveled at staff.

Exactly. What is the point in hiding it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

I'm just wondering about the psychology of this. We could probably all put up with this for a month or two, living like recluses and avoiding contact and so on, but there'll come a point where there's serious issues with how this psychologically impacts a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Movementarian

otnomart wrote: »
    Yes.
    Only thing that worries me about South Korea is the recovery rate, only less than 300 (according to Worldometers), why is that ?

Think recovery rates tend to be slower reporting as they have to wait for all symptoms to go and then you need to have two consecutive negative tests over a certain time period.

Theres lots who have recovered but dont show in the official reporting yet. Its annoying me that we are constantly showing the total infection numbers which includes recoveries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

twirlagig wrote: »
    Exactly. What is the point in hiding it?

Supposedly to protect the identity of the patients.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement