Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

I don't doubt that frontline staff are working their arses off, but it would have been nice if the HSE had done anything to stop there being community spread cases in the first place.

I could tell you who was infected. It wasn't rocket science. It was people coming back from Italy. I said it two weeks ago. The HSE was retarded (in both senses of the word) two weeks ago, them getting around to doing mass testing now doesn't change that fact.

Disgusting post I am outraged.:P

crybaby-720x340.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Anyone else sense that this country is, in fact, riddled with Coronavirus?

Probably not yet but we are headed in that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BuzzMcdonnell

Weepsie wrote: »
    With a uni closure, there'd be mass movement of people to areas around the country you'd think to go back to their families, part time jobs etc.

Could be a whole other headache to avoid

As a university student myself, I can say the vast majority of students I know head home every weekend or fortnight anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Anyone else sense that this country is, in fact, riddled with Coronavirus?

Corona mania more like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

joe40 wrote: »
    I Know a woman who was seriously worried about the prospect of not been able to visit her elderly father in a home. Her attitude was if this virus takes him so be it, something will. But the idea of not been able to visit was more heartbreaking.

Heard a manager of a nursing home on Joe Duffy describe how the residents of a nursing home clapped when they were told about the restrictions. They are scared and don't have much of a voice in society unfortunately. Especially on here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

The package of measures announced by govt seem to have given a lift to HSE hope to stay longer in containment phase and have better management of delay phase. If they are increasing number of contact tracing teams that might explain that. Essentially PHET has a game plan and they’re sticking to it: part of that plan is to keep normal economic activity going until it can’t.

I suspect they reluctantly lost the battle of the parades as groups with autonomy ignored them, they are trying to roll back Hospital and nursing home visitor limitations, and warning schools against unilateral action in order to keep to their plan. Interestingly in light of earlier posts about a south Galway GP a trawl through Twitter is worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Great news, at least on my side!

Mother-in-law has decided not to come, and instead fly back to her homeland, Argentina, tomorrow. Best decision really instead of lumping about in Italy or ****ing our family over in Dublin. A huge sense of relief off my chest anyway.

I’m kind of happy for you but kind of sad aswell.

I was looking forward to reading a post running commentary’s on here when she arrived:

“ Ok everybody, She’s in the front garden and I’m telling her to f**k off back to Italy from the top window. Im fairly confident it’s 2-3 metres distance so I don’t mind her spitting at me. I’ve also not told my wife I gave our dog (he’s a pit bull) a sniff of one of the in laws jumper from the last time she was here so if it comes to it And my wife opens the front door the dog will go for her. I’m not gonna lie, I kinda want to open the front door just to see what happens.. will report back on how it goes”.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I'm not one of the "it's only the flu" camp, but just out of interest, does anyone know how many people have been diagnosed with the flu since the start of the year? Is there even a figure for this out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

Stheno wrote: »
    Where are posters getting 500k cases by early May? Would it not be end April with those projections and no control measures?

If we say cases double every 3.5 days that's quadrupling every week

So 34 now
    March 17 136
    March 24 544
    March 31 2176
    April 7 8704
    April 14 34816
    April 21 139264
    April 28 557056

That would be 100k people by end April that would need hospital care potentially

That’s pretty scary, my hope is that we will lockdown before we reach the hundreds so our peak will be lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

theguzman wrote: »
    Yes because we only have a corrupt elite in power and the health service exists as a dumping ground for those failed careers of Fianna Fail cronies. This will be the biggest killer on the island since the Great Famine.

All air travel in and out should have been halted three weeks ago. I know I will probably survive this as I am now in South America, it is my parents whom I am worried about as both have underlying risk.

This will become a defining moment in our annals.

Oh dear. Here it comes again. Time to let the thread settle down for a few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Stheno wrote: »
    If we say cases double every 3.5 days that's quadrupling every week
    So 34 now
    March 17 136
    March 24 544
    March 31 2176
    April 7 8704
    April 14 34816
    April 21 139264
    April 28 557,056
    That would be 100k people by end April that would need hospital care potentially

These above figures, are entirely possible, even somewhat likely.
    Note: On an Island basis it's currently at 50.
    Italy are doubling even faster.

One European Medical Leader on the BBCNews Channel earlier today, gave a dire view of the situation, and also a prediction for the uk (Ire will be similar in nature), that is maybe best not to repeat for any sensitive ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Boggles wrote: »
    Da Fuq? :confused:

She can't visit him if he is dead, no one can visit anyone if she brings the virus in with her and kills everyone in the ward.

With good hygiene and no symptoms she should be able to visit her father. This virus could be with us for months/years. I don't why we have the idea that everything will be fine in a few weeks.
    This might be something we have to manage long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

The US have a made a b*lls of this thing too.

let's be honest here, every country will effectively make a balls of this thing, because no country is capable of containing it, and no country has the health system capacity to treat it. health systems are simply not designed for these things.

the outlier being china of course, but every day now i'm doubting their figures more and more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Heard a manager of a nursing home on Joe Duffy describe how the residents of a nursing home clapped when they were told about the restrictions. They are scared and don't have much of a voice in society unfortunately. Especially on here.

Where it matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭SwordofLight

I'm a bit appalled by the handling of this and the attitudes of people in the country.

Testing people getting off flights from italy or elsewhere is a waste of time because symptoms may not show for 5 days or even at all, as in one of the Wuhan cases where her family got severe pneumonia and she had nothing.

A doctor speaking from a hospital in Italy says they are having to choose who gets to live and who dies because they are completely overwhelmed and that even young people are intubated on life support, and to please "stop saying it is like a bad flu."

Why are people going around with an attitude that it is 'inevitable' they will get it, and it is just a bad cold if i do etc?? What about passing it on? What about others?

Why are some people not even bothering with the hand sanitisers coming in and out of offices and universities?

Why on earth are people being forced into meetings and 'business as usual' when this virus can clearly be passed on through breath, sneezing, coughing, laughing, basically being around others.

The virus is killing people, it might not have been expressed fully here yet, but give it another week with these attitudes and we will all be in trouble. Accuse me of scaremongering, blah blah

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Average of 198 tests per day based on 7 day week.

Last week average just under 44 per day.

The HSE dont so 7 day weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Not Now John

Cuckoo7 wrote: »
    But that’s a pretty selfish attitude because that may be true for her, maybe even for her father. But what about the rest of the people at that home? Do they have to risk it so she doesn’t get her heart broken?

I'd hardly think it's selfish to be heartbroken if her father is ill and she can't be with him. Harsh cuckoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Darc19 wrote: »
    That's more than have been done in the entire eastern seaboard of the United States.

And the turnaround time for the test is under 12 hours. NOT 3 days as fools on Fakebook will tell you.

If we were doing 4.7 million tests per day, people will still complain on here :)

Thanks for the insightful discussion some of you provided but I think this draws a close to my posting in this thread for a bit. The tone of the thread has taken a nosedive in the last 24 hours in my opinion and I can't take any more of the Facebookemiology :pac:

Stay safe and wash your paws :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Oh dear. Here it comes again. Time to let the thread settle down for a few hours.

Few hours we'll gave a new thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

10 new cases in the republic of Ireland,
    All cases are contacts from know infected or traveled from an infected region.
    Rte news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

spookwoman wrote:
    Know reports from very reliable people on twitter not FB who said they know someone waiting 3+ days for result. I'd believe them before someone just saying ah facebook...
    So facebook isn't reliable but twitter is?!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭MastiffMrs

Confirmed case in Navan, group of 7 people from the area went skiing in Lyon and the confirmed case was feeling very unwell on his return and was tested straight away. At least 2 other self isolating but don't know if they had tests. Confirmed by the company they work for.

They flew home Sunday 8th March

• Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I'm not one of the "it's only the flu" camp, but just out of interest, does anyone know how many people have been diagnosed with the flu since the start of the year? Is there even a figure for this out there?
    In Week 9 2020, 96 people were hospitalized for influenza. 3,683 people were hospitalized up to week 9 in the flu season so far.
    https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/influenza/seasonalinfluenza/surveillance/influenzasurveillancereports/20192020season/Influenza_Surveillance_Report_Week%2009_%202020.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Macron speaking now and he has already said the word "economy" a couple of times (too many, IMHO)
    From him, nearly 1800 cases it's the start of the epidemy.
    Not a Chinese approach, then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Boggles wrote: »
    Da Fuq? :confused:

She can't visit him if he is dead, no one can visit anyone if she brings the virus in with her and kills everyone in the ward.
    I would take it that his quality of life is dreadful. At some point death doesn't seem like a bad option. No visitors on the other hand make life even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

The HSE dont so 7 day weeks
    The NVRL do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

otnomart wrote: »
    Macron speaking now and he has already said the word "economy" a couple of times (too many, IMHO)
    From him, nearly 1800 cases it's the start of the epidemy.
    Not a Chinese approach, then.
    From history, the French don't usually handle crises very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,597 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Didnt get it myself but it was meant to be a pretty horrible flu this year -

Heres a link from Irish Times - December 19

Dec 27, 2019 - Up to 100 people are expected to die before the end of this winter flu season. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

European Council has decided that flight slots are kept - if/when flights are stopped

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

I'm a bit appalled by the handling of this and the attitudes of people in the country.

Testing people getting off flights from italy or elsewhere is a waste of time because symptoms may not show for 5 days or even at all, as in one of the Wuhan cases where her family got severe pneumonia and she had nothing.

A doctor speaking from a hospital in Italy says they are having to choose who gets to live and who dies because they are completely overwhelmed and that even young people are intubated on life support, and to please "stop saying it is like a bad flu."

Why are people going around with an attitude that it is 'inevitable' they will get it, and it is just a bad cold if i do etc?? What about passing it on? What about others?

Why are some people not even bothering with the hand sanitisers coming in and out of offices and universities?

Why on earth are people being forced into meetings and 'business as usual' when this virus can clearly be passed on through breath, sneezing, coughing, laughing, basically being around others.

The virus is killing people, it might not have been expressed fully here yet, but give it another week with these attitudes and we will all be in trouble. Accuse me of scaremongering, blah blah

Israel and I will admit I am not their biggest fan have a two week quarantine for anybody entering the country.

That is how you do it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement