Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Ipso wrote: »

good on them!
    Perfect example of how the outbreak can be stopped - or prevented

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

It’s a farce, I rang them up, have a headache, been using public transport, was out in town at two big gatherings over the weekend and they won’t test it. Don’t know if I have the flu or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

banie01 wrote: »

What do we want our Government to do with the headstart they have been grante by dint of fate?

The government had a headstart 2 weeks ago.... and blew it.

otnomart wrote: »
    So far, the only two European Countries that have been widespread testing have been UK and Italy (25 K and 50 K respectively).
    Seems that the other Countries have been afraid of what they could find - they could have been lucky as the UK in terms of cases, who knows.
    An accurate assessment of the situation is key and if you don't test, you can't assess and take informed decisions.

France is doing very little testing, it's scary considering how bad the situation is in France

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Apologies if I don't reply to everyone that replied to me. Forum going fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Please let us know if they are included in official figures later today otherwise there could be under-reporting going on.

I will try but since details are scarce I am not sure I can (I just got the email from the company now, but I don’t know if they might have been tested yesterday and included in previous figures ... and I am not sure the information related to new cases in the media will be enough for me to link them).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Strazdas wrote: »
    I was listening to an Italian journalist on R5 saying that even if the country had gone into lockdown a week or ten days earlier, she doubts it would have made much difference.

It's very easy to be wise after the event. Even many scientists were divided on what to do.

Wouldn't really give that opinion much weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Our problem at the moment is we don't know where the horse is. The Italians took him to France and many other places. He's in Cheltenham apparently.

In Ireland we can't see him at the moment. We're about to lock the stable. He could be in a corner sleeping away and we'll lock him in before he bolts, or he could have bolted a week ago. We should know by Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭facehugger99

saabsaab wrote: »
    If you go back to the earlier threads you will see that an early strong approach would have been correct.

:confused:

What do the hysterical earlier threads prove exactly?

It’s a farce, I rang them up, have a headache, been using public transport, was out in town at two big gatherings over the weekend and they won’t test it. Don’t know if I have the flu or not.

Self quarantine. No need to get tested unless you develop critical symptoms. It's more important that you don't have contact with people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

ok... listening to newstalk and the presenter 'ciara'...if my view is wrong on following i'm sure i'll be corrected here.

when i turned the radio on a mother with two kids was speaking, she had a dry cough and you could clearly hear it during interview...i didnt get start of interview but the jist of it that i got was she felt fine apart from she had this dry cough.....ciara replied that she (ciara) was no health professional but the caller likely had a cold and not to worry.

then an hour later an old lady aged 71 rang in, she said she had other health issues but also now had flu like symptoms...she was asking if the virus could be passed on clothes and bags, ciara said it could but a short virus life on those items...ciara seemed rushed speaking with her and told her to mind herself.

now....my questions to you good posters...

1. if the younger mother had a dry cough, is this not one of the symptoms of the virus ?...i read somewhere you could only get tested in this country if you meet certain criteria and symptoms werent enough, you had to have been in contact with someone from an infected country or someone with the virus...have i got that right ?....its making me wonder how the 'community' based positive cases got tested, if they didnt meet the criteria.

2. is the correct advice to someone with say a dry cough that its likely just a cold...is there a risk factor that it could be the virus and the, albeit healthy young mother, is a carrier in her community ?....i know huge numbers with coughs across the country getting tested seems unworkable.

i suppose my questions come back to how the community based cases got tested and whats right advice to someone with symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Ipso wrote: »

It shows the virus can be contained and relatively quickly. We just need the political will and public cooperation to shut things down to make it happen.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

6th death in uk

CFR of about 1.8pc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

I agree with an early lockdown. Not a total lockdown like Italy, but close schools, ask employers to get their employees to work from home if possible, ban gatherings of over 100, ask those flying in from France/Spain/Germany (and possibly the UK if things get worse quicker there than here) to self isolate on their return. Perhaps say that the government will look at some sort of package for self-employed workers i.e. pause mortgage payments, like in Italy.

I get that the government are worried about lockdown fatigue - i.e. that people will get bored after two weeks and will start congregating socially just at the peak of the infection period. But I think they should try to have more faith in us than that. Come right out and say, on a televised broadcast if they must, saying that they've decided to take this step early and hopefully it will stop the worst of the epidemic. I think people would trust that.

Yes, the economy will take a hit. But maybe if we keep this epidemic at a dull roar in comparison to other countries, we might not spend all the €2bn we've earmarked for health care (where did that money come from, by the way?).

I'm not saying a month at home would be an

• Registered Users Posts: 18,314 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

givyjoe wrote: »
    Wouldn't really give that opinion much weight.

But even scientists were divided. For every one of them saying shut down the country, there would have been another saying it was totally unnecessary.

It's very easy to be wise after the event.

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    France is doing very little testing, it's scary considering how bad the situation is in France

Very strange, it seems as though Macron gave up, before even trying, to contain it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

dougm1970 wrote: »
    ok... listening to newstalk and the presenter 'ciara'...if my view is wrong on following i'm sure i'll be corrected here.

when i turned the radio on a mother with two kids was speaking, she had a dry cough and you could clearly hear it during interview...i didnt get start of interview but the jist of it that i got was she felt fine apart from she had this dry cough.....ciara replied that she (ciara) was no health professional but the caller likely had a cold and not to worry.

then an hour later an old lady aged 71 rang in, she said she had other health issues but also now had flu like symptoms...she was asking if the virus could be passed on clothes and bags, ciara said it could but a short virus life on those items...ciara seemed rushed speaking with her and told her to mind herself.

now....my questions to you good posters...

1. if the younger mother had a dry cough, is this not one of the symptoms of the virus ?...i read somewhere you could only get tested in this country if you meet certain criteria and symptoms werent enough, you had to have been in contact with someone from an infected country or someone with the virus...have i got that right ?....its making me wonder how the 'community' based positive cases got tested, if they didnt meet the criteria.

2. is the correct advice to someone with say a dry cough that its likely just a cold...is there a risk factor that it could be the virus and the, albeit healthy young mother, is a carrier in her community ?....i know huge numbers with coughs across the country getting tested seems unworkable.

i suppose my questions come back to how the community based cases got tested and whats right advice to someone with symptoms.

My question to you is why the fcuk are people looking for advice from a DJ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,376 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Apparently companies are telling employees to take two weeks off after Cheltenham before coming back to work.

Dunno why there aren't being told not to come back at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Strazdas wrote: »
    Shutting down a country in itself poses risks to the nation. It could cause fatalities and some people to become unwell.....people being quarantined to this degree is unnatural and unhealthy.

You think the images coming out of China would have served as a warning... But nah sure fcuk it, it'll be grand..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I wonder what predictions from the early ones had Irelands infection rate at now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Wibbs wrote: »
    Banie, I've had dealings with a few arms of government and politicians down the years and I hate to say it but the majority are scarily and I do mean scarily ignorant/stupid/uninformed beyond glad handing and the parish pump bollocks that gets them back in to power(that's at the "higher end", local counsellors are more like a room full of special needs people and jobsworths). On that basis we're fooked essentially.

Unfortunately, my own experience would be the same.
    Professional life would have seen a lot of contact with minister's, the CS and the regulator for my last industry...

All basically competent but always reacting, very little proactive policy or leadership ever on display and when there was?

The "leader" was usually managed out of their role.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Stay in and isolate if you're worried.
    They can't see every hypochondriac that claims to have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭facehugger99

dougm1970 wrote: »
    2. is the correct advice to someone with say a dry cough that its likely just a cold...

Of course that's the correct advice because that's the overwhelmingly most likely scenario.

The alternative approach is akin to suggesting that nobody ever gets into a car because there's a risk you might get killed in a road accident.

One thing this virus has proven once again, is that humans are inherently bad at judging risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Economies will recover. A sharp short bit of pain that fades in comparison to 2008. Sometimes you have to adapt to the situation that we find ourselves in. Nature doesn’t care for our economy. Take the hit, shut down and stop this from spreading, Ireland is in a much better situation than Wuhan to be able to do this if people can just have a bit of sense and think of the greater good. Needs to be support for all the workers who will find themselves out of pocket very soon. I’m barely okay. Have a bit of savings but on a zero hour contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Bob24 wrote: »
    Just heard they tested positive after coming back from a skiing trip in Italy.
    Know of this family too Bob I wonder will they be in todays figures

I think you need to have a google of that word. The vast, vasty majority of the posts in earlier threads were concerns based on facts and what was happening on China, would happen elsewhere. What a shock.. it IS happening elsewhere. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

police stations will start to close here on the weekend of the 27/28th March as all the Gardaí on OT for the 17th develop symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Any word on the alleged exposure to the virus at the Blindboy gig?

People who attended Blindboy podcast in Ennis required to self-isolate due to coronavirus

• Registered Users Posts: 8 WAZZA1989

Naas Hospital reportedly to have a infected patient

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

Spain has 415 new cases today ...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement