Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Just a suggestion but if somebody with some sort of informed knowledge on this is interested in doing an ask me anything Thread that would be handy. I appreciate they may have better things to be doing right now but even if there were retired doctors or medical staff who have been keeping up they might have more time to invest here? That would be a great way to utilize their expertise without physically exposing themselves.

Start by having a link to all Q&A already answered and just keep adding to it. Someone has to keep an eye on the answers to make sure they are updated. Since most questions will most likely overlap, the more the answer the less questions they will have to answer.

Lots of caveats, no personal diagnoses or medical advice. Link Credible sources to answers so “know all’s who know little to nothing that they learned from social media” can be challenged.

Social media exists and telling people to stop listening is futile. So the logical step is to use social media to educate properly and quickly dispel rumors.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

Passed through a pharmacy in my way into town, asked about hand sanitizers, they didn’t have any but had received a gel that you are supposed to use after washing your hands.It was either that or surface wipes.
    14,95€ for a 100ml bottle.
    Walked out without.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

NURSING Homes Ireland (NHI) has confirmed that visiting restrictions are now in place in nursing homes nationwide.

"All visitors are asked to contact prior to attending. Visitors should only seek to attend in urgent circumstances and the management reserve the right to impose full restrictions where necessary," said an NHI spokesperson in a statement.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/523242/coronavirus-visiting-restrictions-at-22-limerick-nursing-homes.html

We all know where this is heading.

I will be conservative and go for 10 new cases announced this evening (most before that)

blanch152 wrote: »
    It is too easy to blame the HSE, the hospitals and the government.

People have been told to take their own responsibility. If you have symptoms, call the helpline, get the doctors to come to you. If, as now seems to have happened, you turn up at A&E or the hospital with symptoms and put everyone around you into self-isolation, that isn't on the HSE, or Simon Harris, that is on the Irish culture of doing what you think is best rather than listening to the expert advice.

Interesting to see how this system will hold up in the weeks/months to come. According to modelling in the UK, at the peak some 50% of the population will catch this over a period of 3 weeks. If its similar here, there could be quite a delay in a doctor getting to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

I have been listening to so much hysteria about this at this stage I nearly hope I get the fecking thing to give my head a break. 3 people in my office alone got so wound up about it they had panic attacks, one properly fainted - ambulances had to be called. I was listening to some fella from the HSE praise the media for being "so responsible" during this thing - what!? They have been gleefully whipping people into mass hysteria since the virus was first heard of. Newstalk in particular have been breathless about it.

Lads, wash your hands after having a sh*te, cough into your elbow, if you feel sick ring the doctor instead of going to work. All stuff we should be doing any other day. If you show sympthoms, get the netflix out, self isolate and follow the advice of the HSE. Unless a flu would kill you, this won't either.

It's not the zombie apocalypse ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Urquell

For these places in Galway....IT companies? Im in one myself. Message me if ye want.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I will be conservative and go for 10 new cases announced this evening (most before that)

And actual proper details by morning without Dr. Tony wall of silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,292 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    I have been listening to so much hysteria about this at this stage I nearly hope I get the fecking thing to give my head a break. 3 people in my office alone got so wound up about it they had panic attacks, one properly fainted - ambulances had to be called. I was listening to some fella from the HSE praise the media for being "so responsible" during this thing - what!? They have been gleefully whipping people into mass hysteria since the virus was first heard of. Newstalk in particular have been breathless about it.

Lads, wash your hands after having a sh*te, cough into your elbow, if you feel sick ring the doctor instead of going to work. All stuff we should be doing any other day. If you show sympthoms, get the netflix out, self isolate and follow the advice of the HSE. Unless a flu would kill you, this won't either.

It's not the zombie apocalypse ffs.
    I agree to a degree with what you are saying.
    But the fatality rates are a lot higher than the flu seemingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

I'm thinking we could be a fair bit higher. I'll say 25-30. That community transmission in Cork plus the Doctor in Limerick indicates that we could be at 60 or 70 come Monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Can't cope with cakes being left uncovered all over the place in small shops. It's rotten
    it's a mystery to me that anyone would buy one!
    FFS fingers, coughs, snots all over them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I think this may have already been posted but I have heard that Chinese shops and restaurants on Parnell St are closing down for three days.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Interesting to see how this system will hold up in the weeks/months to come. According to modelling in the UK, at the peak some 50% of the population will catch this over a period of 3 weeks. If its similar here, there could be quite a delay in a doctor getting to you.

And hope the doctor isn't the one actually carrying the disease!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭amber2

Drumpot wrote: »
    Just a suggestion but if somebody with some sort of informed knowledge on this is interested in doing an ask me anything Thread that would be handy. I appreciate they may have better things to be doing right now but even if there were retired doctors or medical staff who have been keeping up they might have more time to invest here? That would be a great way to utilize their expertise without physically exposing themselves.

Start by having a link to all Q&A already answered and just keep adding to it. Someone has to keep an eye on the answers to make sure they are updated. Since most questions will most likely overlap, the more the answer the less questions they will have to answer.

Lots of caveats, no personal diagnoses or medical advice. Link Credible sources to answers so “know all’s who know little to nothing that they learned from social media” can be challenged.

Social media exists and telling people to stop listening is futile. So the logical step is to use social media to educate properly and quickly dispel rumors.

Yes to this, Dr Tony Holohan so we can ask every 5 minutes any new cases yet and we don’t have to wait till 8:30 every evening to confirm what we have already heard through social media.

I think the community hospital where my dads due to go for respite is gonna cancel on me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

piplip87 wrote: »
    I'm thinking we could be a fair bit higher. I'll say 25-30. That community transmission in Cork plus the Doctor in Limerick indicates that we could be at 60 or 70 come Monday

Per day?

I don't think so, not yet anyway.

I'll stick with 10 new cases today :)

But if you are right, you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Update: Still alive. No coughs. Sun out, spring is here. More soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Actually it's having mild symptoms then calling the hse or your doc. They tell you to self isolate but don't bother testing you and in turn you have to try and explain to your boss you can't come in because you might have it but can't confirm it.
    Then of course you don't get paid and have to wait at least a week until you can claim illness benefit. Then it's trying to explain to a landlord you won't have the rent this month on time because I'm showing mild symptoms and can't go to work to get paid but that's another can of worms for which the government is at fault for.

Return to work speedily with gladness in your hearts fellow economic production units!
    Travel, congregate, spend freely & and enjoy yourselves.
    Unity through discretionary spending!
    Pay no attention to this virus going around the place, it will generally cull "useless" members of society anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Visitor restrictions nationwide to nursing homes.
    Also visitor restrictions and no children to visit the Mater

Rte radio just now

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

Just taking to another Chinese guy who is part of a Chinese business group in Dublin. He said that they are closing most of the restaurants because they have very bad business at the moment and they are afraid of the Italian tourist that are arriving. He says no one has tested positive and the WE CHAT stuff is just speculation.

I have just phoned. They have been asked to shut for 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

I will say a lot more but it wont be known until after 6.1 news, a full weekend to saturate public with info, and for the public to try to be reasonable on how they approach next week without panic.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

poppers wrote: »
    Just a bit of perspective in 2017-2018 4713 people need hospitalisation & 255 people in ireland Died because of the FLU.
    Dont remember seeing any of the hysteria other than a few TDS giving out about hospital overcrowding.

May as well accept it there is going to be 100's if not 1000's of cases and unfortunatley some deaths.

There has been 148 deaths in Italy in the past few weeks. This is way worse than the flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

thats incorrect.

They expect 50% off all cases in the outbreak to occur in those 3 weeks. And 90% over 6 weeks.

They dont mean 50% of all people will get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Wibbs wrote: »
    Somebody in their 80's. Sad for their families, but when a bug comes along that's mostly killing people between 20 and 40(like the Spanish flu) then I'll start being more concerned.

You big meanie

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

I would be very much on the cautious side with all this. We all need to familiarise ourselves with the most appropriate thing we can do to reduce risk. In effect to accept and learn about the accurate risks, take it in our stride and adjust accordingly. Fretting about numbers of cases is irrelevant really, it's going to rise exponentially. We'll adjust to the new reality and take this yoke on, for yourself, your family and your community.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

im going with 20 new cases today.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

amber2 wrote: »
    Yes this Dr Tony Holohan so we can ask every 5 minutes any new cases yet and we don’t have to wait till 8:30 every evening to confirm what we have already heard through social media.

Wasn’t supposed to be about cases In Ireland just general information. Communication is still an issue if people are going to other sources for information. Saying they shouldn’t doesn’t change that.

The alternative is to just let hysteria take hold and presume telling people not to read social media bullsh*t will make any difference, which it won’t. There is an Awful lot of stupid in this thread recently....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭str8talkingguy

If the governments say its gonna spread anyway whats the point in shutting anything down,just let it run through the population and be done.

Its up to everyone to protect themselves and their families,if they wanna self isolate but if you don't care about catching it,you should be free to go wherever its madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭solidasarock

My big worry is my company realise how little work actually gets done in the office and they realise everything important can get done by a skeleton crew working from home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Downlinz

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    I would be very much on the cautious side with all this. We all need to familiarise ourselves with the most appropriate thing we can do to reduce risk. In effect to accept and learn about the accurate risks, take it in our stride and adjust accordingly. Fretting about numbers of cases is irrelevant really, it's going to rise exponentially. We'll adjust to the new reality and take this yoke on, for yourself, your family and your community.

I think it's key people understand that it is a new reality rather than something that'll blow over after a couple of weeks.

• Advertisement

flynnlives wrote: »
    thats incorrect.

They expect 50% off all cases in the outbreak to occur in those 3 weeks. And 90% over 6 weeks.

They dont mean 50% of all people will get it.

Thanks for the correction! Probably could still lead to a delay in a doctor getting to any particular patient though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement