Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭str8talkingguy

Duggie2012 wrote: »
    ya this is something which is so annoying when i hear people talking about this. aaah sure 80% will prob be grand anyway. ya but what about the rest of people. Personally have asthma.

But again we shouldn't be forcing people to isolate in case they spread it to the weak,if the weaker are worried they should self isolate,people don't seem to care about the loss of our individual freedoms all in the name of the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

BBC has reported that two British Airways staff have tested positive for coronavirus.

It said they are both in isolation and recovering at home.

Nine people have died from coronavirus in France.

There are now 577 confirmed cases, 154 more than yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭PaybackPayroll

There has been 148 deaths in Italy in the past few weeks. This is way worse than the flu.

Indeed.
    The flu/car accidents/whatever comparison has been made so many times over the last four threads. I've almost kind of learnt to block it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭Speak Now

tillyfilly wrote: »
    Ftse drops 3.45% today so far

Currently on same mark as this time last Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

Scotty # wrote: »
    The flu kills between 300k and 600k every year. 18k in the US in 2019 alone. No headlines.

How is corona virus worse? Genuine question. Do you think COVID-19 will have a higher death toll?

Has your head being in the sand for the last few months? It's common knowledge that COVID-19 has a much higher death rather than the flu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Wibbs wrote: »
    Somebody in their 80's. Sad for their families, but when a bug comes along that's mostly killing people between 20 and 40(like the Spanish flu) then I'll start being more concerned.

Would you be happen to be in the 20-40 bracket by any chance? Maybe we should reduce it to 20-30, evolution previously found over 30s useless and wanted rid of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

The flu kills between 300k and 600k every year. 18k in the US in 2019 alone. No headlines.

How is corona virus worse? Genuine question. Do you think COVID-19 will have a higher death toll?

I honestly don't know and I hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Yes, Covid does have a higher death rate. As of today = 5.74%
    It also requires higher level of health care

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

The BA cabin crew is really concerning. (a) Did they get it on a flight? (b) Were they spreading it on a flight themselves? Cabin crew on a short haul plane in Europe could spread it to every row of the plane.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Huh?
    If living a little to you is chomping on a manky cake, go for it.
    Meh, no doubt I have done in my time and many times. Still ticking at 51 having no allergies and having never taken an antibiotic. If you really want to wind up the clean freaks you can point them to studies on the amount of insect parts in bread and the bacterial and viral load on common household objects and environments.

Oh and at this very moment I've some sort of bug. Bit of a fever, slight headache, sore throat, a bit stuffed up, feeling a bit meh(though slight cough I've had since the xmas bug, another coronavirus, has gone with this dose hitting me). Am I panicking? Nope. Do I think it's the Kung Flu? Nope, as I've not been licking any Italian or Chinese folks. Not recently anyway. I'm keeping away from people just in case. Which I'd do anyway. I'm certainly not gonna ring the local GP for eff all. If in the highly unlikely event over the weekend I get worse and fall off the twig? Meh, death brings its own excuse. What are ya gonna do? It would be a sweet release from some of the hysterics surrounding this Covid 19. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

We all know where this is heading.

I will be conservative and go for 10 new cases announced this evening (most before that)

Oh dear. I really hope it doesn't hit any of the nursing homes :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

There has been 148 deaths in Italy in the past few weeks. This is way worse than the flu.

24K deaths from flu in Italy 2016/2017. It may be worse than the flu in terms of mortality rates but the flu kills on a mass scale that we are all prepared to live with panic free.

https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(19)30328-5/fulltext

The hospitals can’t cope with so many becoming critically ill all at once, they are trying to stagger out the infection, so as we can sort of take turns at getting it.

Hey stranger! Where you been hiding?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Two suspects in assault in London are 15 & 16.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Isolation helps

Christ i looked at that anatomies gallery, give me the virus anyday

What sparking up big bowls of animal dung doesn't appeal to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭quokula

And there are up to 25 thousand flu related deaths in Italy per year.

It's not the same as flu, it's different and there are more potential unknowns, but people really need to get some perspective on how small the numbers they quote actually are on an international scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    If you show sympthoms, get the netflix out, self isolate and follow the advice of the HSE. Unless a flu would kill you, this won't either.

It's not the zombie apocalypse ffs.

Netflix and chills

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

amber2 wrote: »
    Apologies Drumpot wasn’t a jibe at your suggestion which would be helpful just more a jibe at how we are being drip fed information that’s sometimes so out of date, yesterday’s Cork case was on the evening Echo 5 hours prior never mind the WhatsApp messages hours before that.

I should not of said that, I apologize, I’m just frustrated reading so many panicked posts. Of what I feel I’ve learned since January , a lot of what’s happening happens during an outbreak. Mistakes will happen and it will be scary for awhile But if you communicate properly and get your population on board with what you are doing you stand a much better chance of reducing the impact. I feel that knowing this gives me hope we can still manage people’s reactions if we just put a bit of resources into how we are educating them.

I’ve been saying for weeks that our authority’s need to better communicate and educate our population and I’m a nobody when it comes to Knowledge on epidemics. You don’t have to of been prophetic to see this coming but anybody with a knowledge in this field should of been banging the drum a lot sooner on this. That HSE press conference yesterday should of been last week or the week before. They actually could of managed the narrative before things got this serious.

It’s not too late to start better communication. Not necessarily more conferences but reaching out to people on boards and Facebook and YouTube with Popilar Q&As. I just think we aren’t going to stop people reading crap and lies so it is better if our authorities are being more pro active to clear stuff up quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

dan786 wrote: »
    BBC has reported that two British Airways staff have tested positive for coronavirus.

It said they are both in isolation and recovering at home.

Nine people have died from coronavirus in France.

There are now 577 confirmed cases, 154 more than yesterday.

The absolute c*nts at British Airways won't refund my friend's tickets for her honeymoon in Japan. She wants to cancel but if she does so, she'll lose all the money she paid, in addition to losing her annual leave and having her honeymoon wrecked.

What a vile company they are. Staff members testing positive and they're still forcing to people to fly or lose all their money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Isolation helps

Christ i looked at that anatomies gallery, give me the virus anyday

Didn't notice that gallery... I made it 5 pics in

• Registered Users Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Well actually we do have headlines here about flu season and the strain it puts on the health service and triggering of 'trolley crisis'.
    Especially if there is a strain of flu which wasn't in the vaccine.

If flu was a new disease, it would make the headlines.
    New always gets priority in headlines over someone we've "factored" in.

I think COVID-19 has the potential to have a higher death toll but with certain caveats:
    * I'm not convinced deaths from it will be reported accurately globally
    * Countries can take measures to significantly reduce the death toll as we have seen in China and Singapore

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

I have just phoned. They have been asked to shut for 3 days.

Who asked them to shut down?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

100k cases.

3410 deaths.

The maths are there alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

quokula wrote: »
    And there are up to 25 thousand flu related deaths in Italy per year.

It's not the same as flu, it's different and there are more potential unknowns, but people really need to get some perspective on how small the numbers they quote actually are on an international scale.
    One of the issues is it seems more infective and has a higher fatality rate. The numbers are smaller now because it's new. The flu is not. Hopefully the numbers stay smaller but right not COVID-19 is a more fatal and more infective virus that then flu.

John Hopkins University saying the number of cases has passed 100,000 with 3,398 deaths. So a death rate percentage (of known cases) of 3.4%. Whats the betting though with asymptomatic cases/unreported cases that there might be nearer 500,000 infected currently with a correspondingly lower death rate?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

fr336 wrote: »
    Would you be happen to be in the 20-40 bracket by any chance? Maybe we should reduce it to 20-30, evolution previously found over 30s useless and wanted rid of them.
    Nope 50-60 bracket. And again a good example of myths in action. Contrary to popular belief, people didn't die in their thirties in the past. Outside of times when waves of plagues were in fashion the longevity stats were heavily skewed by the appalling childhood mortality rates. For most of human history most people could expect to see 60 or 70 once they survived childhood and adolescence. Remember the Sermon on the Mount story? "The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years", so 70 and 80 years of age. This was aimed at a first century audience of mostly peasants.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭str8talkingguy

DrumSteve wrote: »
    100k cases.

3410 deaths.

The maths are there alright...

I don't know how the maths can be relied on there is thousands me included who won't be going to any doctor or reporting anything if we came down with a flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Anyone know the estimate date that the Clare doctor arrived back from Italy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

joe_99 wrote: »
    24K deaths from flu in Italy 2016/2017. It may be worse than the flu in terms of mortality rates but the flu kills on a mass scale that we are all prepared to live with panic free.

https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(19)30328-5/fulltext

24,000 deaths over 1 year
    150 deaths over 1 week while the virus is still spreading

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement