Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

US2 wrote: »
    You want me to get a sick cert off the hospital for you or something?

How do you know 100%?

Or did you see it whatsapp or Facebook, like the rest of the rubbish. 6 different places for the case in the west a few days ago and none of them were right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭circadian

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Economically we'll be hit. The government had the choice between controlling it by restricting movement and putting other measures in place or allowing the spread of illness control the economic hit. It seems that our government has gone for the second option for short term gain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

I've heard some hysterical individuals saying that they believe the ship will sink, but that's just scaremongering. Leave those lifeboats where they are!

Next you'll have fools saying we shouldn't have hit the iceberg in the first place.

Besides which, only old people have to fear the cold water. It has been well established that young healthy individuals can last a solid hour in these temperatures.

And besides the rescue ship will be along any minute now.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

Apologies if this has already been asked and answered . How will this lockdown in Italy work ? No flights in or out ? What about the Italians then might be elsewhere on holidays , will they be allowed back in ? And has the lockdown already been put in place ?
    Wuhan alert the people that it was going to be put on lockdown at a certain day and time and supposedly up to 5 million people got out quickly before the lockdown started so I’m wondering if this could be the same situation in Italy .

• Site Banned Posts: 38 ChurchtownMan

pc7 wrote: »
    Yeah DS it’s a starting point for sure, Italy shows how it can go wrong. We’ve had Wuhan, now Italy, If that doesn’t show them what happens when it goes wrong you may through your hat at it.

Italy has done nothing wrong. Just because the outcome is bad on one level, does not mean they have made a mistake. They have done nothing that any other European country would have done. And in fact, will be doing over the coming months. Lombardy alone expects 18000 infections in 2 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

is_that_so wrote: »
    And I agree we should be looking at other countries. There is no evidence so far that they'll end up with an Italian scenario.

I guess technically you never get absolute evidence of what the future will be.

But we can look at strong clues: the virus has set foot in ireland and is starting to spread locally. We are probably where Italy was a few was a few weeks ago (although we would have a better picture if we were tested more suspected cases).

Now we cant predict if we will end up like Italy as it depends on how we react (and to a smaller extend it depends on luck and local circumstances like the fact that we are a smaller country on an island). But currently I am not sure we are doing things very differently from what Italy was doing a few weeks ago ...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Darc19 wrote: »
    With so few cases at present, it's premature to cancel anything.
    Because of people thinking like this the virus managed to spread all the way from China to my hometown :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

circadian wrote: »
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. Economically we'll be hit. The government had the choice between controlling it by restricting movement and putting other measures in place or allowing the spread of illness control the economic hit. It seems that our government has gone for the second option for short term gain.

This. It is saddening to see medical professionals screaming at the Government to cancel and their calls falling on deaf ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

Graces7 wrote: »
    Great article, A while back I posted re a village in the UK way back in plague times. Eyam , in Derbyshire. When the Plague hit in the 1660s, they opted to cut themselves off totally to avoid spreading it further. Heroic.

Spearheaded by the local clergy who. like most of the village, died of the plague when they could have left and risked others.

See BBC programme " Eyam; Village of the Damned"

People wonder what healthcare workers will do. I amnt going to be addressing COVID19 rates etc directly anymore. The public narrative is catching up to what I said and was attacked for So there’s no need to keep ringing the alarm. With that said this was an interesting post and here’s some interesting reading of what happened within living memory ( thankfully this isn’t as lethal as SARS or MERS etc so there won’t have to be quite as drastic self-sacrifice).

Sars: The people who risked their lives to stop the virus http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23710697

And here’s a few sobering insights regarding how doctors and nurses die at higher rates than the public with this sort of thing From the Irish Times
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/noble-tradition-of-healthcare-workers-placing-themselves-in-danger-lives-on-1.4165486

When SARS and swine flu hit I was still an NCHD and my colleagues and I had to decide what to do on a personal level knowing these sorts of outcomes. I’m glad to say everyone I worked with kept coming in and several of us agreed amongst ourselves to move into the hospitals and live there ( and if necessary did there) until it passed. Thankfully they never got as bad as this is going to get in Ireland but I remember those discussions very vividly.

If necessary doctors and nurses worldwide will make the big play if it is necessary for society. Not all of them but enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

This ship has taken on a bit of water fair enough but there is no evidence it's going to take on anymore or even sink.

intro-1556313441.jpg
    That's a poor example as that ship is clearly sinking! I'm not sold as some seem to be on the shut down the country approach. As Boris said, quoting his own medical people, there are lots of tools available and we should not be using them all at once. That time may come but it's not now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Nonsense. While it may frustrate the permananently Outraged of The Internet, this is nothing to do with transparency. Authorities will not release information simply as fuel for an avid twitter stream, or rubberneckers.
    The authorities are doing their best in unprecedentedly difficult circumstances, and one that they fundamentally cannot win. 'Transparency' has nothing to do with the health care of the nation. In contrast, the lack of it, is being taken for very good and responsible reasons.

Just to add there were people in this very thread and on social media pretty much looking to Lynch that doctor in cork who returned to work after coming home from Italy.
    Another reason we’re not given any more information than is necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

And besides the rescue ship will be along any minute now.

I heard there’s a few Irish lads on the rescue ship so they delayed it until after the parade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

DOCARCH wrote: »
    That's the reason to cancel, to try and keep it that way.

The risk is not from the confirmed cases.

The risk is from the unconfirmed cases that are out there.

It would also give people a chance to organise other work for themselves. Cancel orders etc.

The later its left the worse it is for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

People don't get drunk watching a parade.
    Those who want to get drunk will do so whether or not there is a parade.

And that is gonna have to change, pubs are places for people gathering and drunk people have no ability to take precautions against spreading or protecting themselves from it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

is_that_so wrote: »
    As Boris said, quoting his own medical people, there are lots of tools available and we should not be using them all at once. That time may come but it's not now.

You do know that Boris has abandoned containment and has accepted that covid-19 will spread across the UK, with measures only put in place to help the NHS cope with the volume of cases generated?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Thewife wrote: »
    Apologies if this has already been asked and answered . How will this lockdown in Italy work ? No flights in or out ? What about the Italians then might be elsewhere on holidays , will they be allowed back in ? And has the lockdown already been put in place ?
    Wuhan alert the people that it was going to be put on lockdown at a certain day and time and supposedly up to 5 million people got out quickly before the lockdown started so I’m wondering if this could be the same situation in Italy .

No travelling into, out of, or within the area unless for emergencies or undeferrable work reasons (e.g. nurses, doctors, emergency services, electricity suppliers, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

The Czech Republic has broken ranks.

They are calling on Italy to ban all foreign travel by Italian citizens.

First country in Europe to openly call for that

You sound like a broken record. The virus is here already, your best chances to get infected is next week at the parades

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

People wonder what healthcare workers will do. I amnt going to be addressing COVID19 rates etc directly anymore. The public narrative is catching up to what I said and was attacked for So there’s no need to keep ringing the alarm. With that said this was an interesting post and here’s some interesting reading of what happened within living memory ( thankfully this isn’t as lethal as SARS or MERS etc so there won’t have to be quite as drastic self-sacrifice).

Sars: The people who risked their lives to stop the virus http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23710697

And here’s a few sobering insights regarding how doctors and nurses die at higher rates than the public with this sort of thing From the Irish Times
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/noble-tradition-of-healthcare-workers-placing-themselves-in-danger-lives-on-1.4165486

When SARS and swine flu hit I was still an NCHD and my colleagues and I had to decide what to do on a personal level knowing these sorts of outcomes. I’m glad to say everyone I worked with kept coming in and several of us agreed amongst ourselves to move into the hospitals and live there ( and if necessary did there) until it passed. Thankfully they never got as bad as this is going to get in Ireland but I remember those discussions very vividly.

If necessary doctors and nurses worldwide will make the big play if it is necessary for society. Not all of them but enough.

Just a crying shame that people and countries in “civilized” society’s won’t make the sacrifices now to help you guys. Good luck over the next few months.

biko wrote: »
    Because of people thinking like this the virus managed to spread all the way from China to my hometown :(

That's how case zero becomes case 106,165

• Site Banned Posts: 38 ChurchtownMan

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    The emerging choice is apparently you affect economy or you affect number of deaths; with the caveat that increased death rate will have economic, social and political consequences later. I think the caretaker govt is at risk of having made a choice through inaction, be that intentional or not.

https://twitter.com/bopanc/status/1236437764431908864?s=21

It is the choice the whole of Europe is taking. No European country can take the Wuhan option.

Keep in mind for comparison, that what China shutdown to prevent the spread was the equivalent of Ireland shutting down Waterford. If that solved the issue for Ireland to, it would do so, and could take the economic hit. But Ireland, cannot shut its 5M population down. It simply could not function. And doesnt have another 500 million citizens outside that area to bail it out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Carpe Diem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

biko wrote: »
    Because of this thinking the virus managed to spread all the way from China to my hometown :(

latest?cb=20160908214055

godfather.jpg?w=1000

khomeinibomb.png

Will this be the next horror?

Leprechaun-main.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Flights still departing Milan Malpensa. Assumed saying no one can enter or leave Lombardy would involve closing airports. Guess not though. Probably the HSEs fault.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'll be opening up Thread V in a few minutes, so if anyone wants to reply to anything in this thread here you have until about 10:35!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    This. It is saddening to see medical professionals screaming at the Government to cancel and their calls falling on deaf ears.
    They are not tasked with addressing the problem. Other doctors who are, say something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

How exactly did Italy “screw up “ ? Seeing as you then go on to say France figures are exactly the same... Did France “screw up” too so?

To summarise it in a sentence, Italy screwed-up by not identifying and locking down their large cluster earlier.

It is clear the Italians have the European Wuhan on their territory (ie the first large endemic cluster in the area). But they didn’t lock it down early and strongly enough to slow down contagion to other areas of Europe, as opposed to the way China isolated Wuhan and its province.

This was the original and Italian specific mistake. Now that is not to say other countries are doing great and yes while France (and the rest of Europe) can blame Italy for this original mistake, they are now very slow to implement measures to slow down and control contagion within their own territories.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 toneygecko

So I'm not sure if this has been covered yet but I have it from a credible source that the number of staff in CUH that have been put in self isolation is over 100 not the 60 that was reported. CUH are crying out for replacement staff from other hospitals in the region but from what I'm told they're not having much luck.

Bear in mind I only have this from one source (albeit a good one). I'm not giving the exact number in order to protect my source. (they may have all been given slightly different numbers to identify a leaker)

I'd just like to know why we're being lied to, we all deserve the truth at a minimum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

US2 wrote: »
    I didn't get this from WhatsApp, I simply said I'd nearly believe WhatsApp over the hse as they havnt released some of the positive tests from Friday.

No they haven't released all the positive tests out to the public, also other important information (but I'll wait until Monday to see if that's been released) Our numbers must be much higher than what's being reported.

Media only releasing the government line here, no real investigative reporting at all so you can see why people will believe rumours over official reports.

Will this be the next horror?

User name checks out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

With so few cases at present, it's premature to cancel anything.

Obviously things can change. But at this moment there's simply too much hysteria

It's not the few cases here that's the problem. It's the infected ones that will fly in not knowing they are infected, spread it and leave us with thousands more....all happening at the same time. Give 2weeks for the outbreak to spike...then another 8 days for the ICU needs...and we're fcked by Easter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement