Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

blanch152 wrote: »
    It is too easy to blame the HSE, the hospitals and the government.

People have been told to take their own responsibility. If you have symptoms, call the helpline, get the doctors to come to you. If, as now seems to have happened, you turn up at A&E or the hospital with symptoms and put everyone around you into self-isolation, that isn't on the HSE, or Simon Harris, that is on the Irish culture of doing what you think is best rather than listening to the expert advice.

This is the prisoner's dilemmea, but with 4 million prisoners.

It doesn't matter if you and everyone in your office take precautions if Mike comes back from his skiing holiday and decides to struggle though the worsening dose of flu he seemed to picked up from somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Was talking to a Chinese chef in Dublin today. he says lots of the Asian restaurants in Parnell Street are going to close for the next few days , they are scared about the influx of Italians and are taking no risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

JDD wrote: »
    What I want to focus on now is how to prevent my elderly parents from getting it. Apart for the normal advice i.e. wash hands and avoid crowds, what advice would you be giving them right now? Should I be advising them to stay at home and get the groceries delivered? Stay away from cafe's/shops? They mind my kids on a Friday - should I be looking for alternative arrangements, just for a few weeks? I want to try to get ahead of this.

That is the advice I have given mine. Whether they are sensible enough to take it is another question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

UsBus wrote: »
    Word now going around, 3 suspected cases/possible contact with cases in my company in Galway, people involved sent home. Business as usual, just meetings cancelled...

Economy will sink if everyone is sent home from various companies. It'll be like Ophelia or Emma but not a one or two day wonder, no one knows when it'll be back to normal. This will impact hard over the next week's financially. There must be a risk of certain foodstuffs going short supply soon, or more likely in the long term if this continues and worsens.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

embraer170 wrote: »
    It seems that most European countries have now accepted that that this cannot be contained and believe that a substantial % of the population (be it 15% or 70%) will be contaminated in the next year or so.

Just so everyone's aware and you remind yourself in two weeks and a month: the World Health Organisation call this "A BIG MISTAKE".

(Capitalisation mine)

The gist is that no matter how inevitable an epidemic in your country is you are going to need time to procure resources and there will be a natural learning phase for all staff at all levels. It is better to treat it like it can be stopped to buy some time at the very least. It's better to find your feet in a little less difficult environment.

What countries do is they treat it like it can't be stopped, then when they are presented with the disastrous results 3 weeks later they realise the error of their ways and think 'oh we have to try containment' and voila, all schools and universities closed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

ICU capacity incredibly important on the death count. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Is there a dedicated helpline for anyone worried about symptoms ?

Phone your GP is the best advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭sjb25

Yes it’s on Hse website

• Registered Users Posts: 23,346 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

blanch152 wrote: »
    It is too easy to blame the HSE, the hospitals and the government.

People have been told to take their own responsibility. If you have symptoms, call the helpline, get the doctors to come to you. If, as now seems to have happened, you turn up at A&E or the hospital with symptoms and put everyone around you into self-isolation, that isn't on the HSE, or Simon Harris, that is on the Irish culture of doing what you think is best rather than listening to the expert advice.

"Expert advice" told Dr. Virus to work away exposing people to his own disease so yeah...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Cody montana

This thread was only started yesterday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Was talking to a Chinese chef in Dublin today. he says lots of the Asian restaurants in Parnell Street are going to close for the next few days , they are scared about the influx of Italians and are taking no risks.

Soon China will have to start blocking European immigration due to the infection risk they pose.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭PaybackPayroll

DOCARCH wrote: »
    No doubt posted already, but I see on BNO number of worldwide cases is now at 100,001 (with 3,405 deaths).

Easy to do the maths on that! Death rate of 3.4%.

Saw an interview with a WHO person that briefly discussed this death rate.
    He made the point that this is taken from the beginning of the outbreak in Wuhan when they did not know what they were dealing with. It was a high death rate to start, but they have reduced it down somewhat, so now in China, the death rate is much lower.

However, us in the West can expect a much higher death rate unless we do what China did. (ie, lockdowns, huge hospital capacity etc, etc...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

thebaz wrote: »
    Cancel the game , but still allow the 6,000 fans from effected region to come anyway. Whats the point in cancelling the game , when Temple bar instead will be wher the masses will congregate now.
    Nothing against Italians, but if we are serious in trying to contain spread, flights should be cancelled.
    Nice to know but even that 20 or 30 shouldn't be allowed
    thebaz wrote: »
    For the 5th time - Why were flights , bar emergency, allowed fly in from effected region, if we are trying to control the spread - Thats it - not explaining it again.

Italy banned flights from China on 31 January. They still had a major outbreak occurring 21 days later. Why would banning flights from Italy here be any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    ICU capacity incredibly important on the death count. :(

Initially yes.

But no system has the capacity for what's coming, so eventually they'll all go tits up.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭skepticalme

This is from Shanghai medical association. How the Chinese are dealing with covid19. Lots of info about mild to severe cases. Interesting that along with different pharmaceuticals they are giving high dose vit c in IV. I read that Korea are giving high dose vit c also. I don't suppose any hospital in Europe will do this? I'm a great believer in vit c. Use it all the time for viral illness in my house.

https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/bF2YhJKiOfe1yimBc4XwOA?fbclid=IwAR1zR22WpWDhjyvvVSvvk91mTpSeHRFFItnVtUMPoupMBaZFIDR_Cr6GxX0

It can be translated to English.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Canonfan View Post
    Sorry no link but it is 100% confirmed because I have a lot of Chinese friends and this is shared by WECHAT( Chinese chatting software).

...............................................................................................

The Popehimself
    Thank you for getting back.

Would you happen to have any details? Has it been confirmed, even in the chat, that there is a suspected case/ is there someone with symptoms/ are people being tested? How many businesses are closed?

Is Golden beach supermarket closed at Number 137?

Any update appreciated.

..........................................................................................

No Need. I just confirmed it myself. No customers allowed. Several Closed.

Are you getting that it is a confirmed case? (That is what I am getting)

If so, that is the city centre.

Is it possible that this is due to reduced business because of eejits avoiding Chinese food on account of coronavirus?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,117 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

sjb25 wrote: »
    Yes it’s on Hse website

I have been looking but can’t find one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

cloudatlas wrote: »
    The guardian seems to be obsessed with reporting on what is happening in other countries rather than the U.K.

Most of their readership is outside the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

Hope all is okay,

Call 8am - 8pm Monday to Friday and 10am - 5pm on Saturday and Sunday

HSE Helpline:
    1850 24 1850 (callsave) or 041 6850300

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Pharmaceutical company in Galway... Boston Scientific?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Sigma101

On a more optimistic note:

In S. Korea the rate of increase in new cases has been dropping for several days. The fatality rate in S Korea, at 0.7%, is far lower than in China or than the WHO estimates. Nobody under 29 years has died and fatalities are much lower for all other age categories. A full breakdown of the S Korean figures is available here:
    https://www.cdc.go.kr/board/board.es?mid=a30402000000&bid=0030&act=view&list_no=366470

No new cases in Hubei province in China today. The Chinese Ambassador was on the radio yesterday saying that China expects to return to normal within 4 weeks (and that's with less than 0.01% of the population having been infected).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

silver2020 wrote: »
    People travel from Italy every day of the year.
    It is cheap and easy to get a train to numerous airports, so stopping flights just causes more chaos as you are pushing people into other airports and flights from non affect areas and that gives you zero control.

Several Irish companies have operation in Italy, several Italian companies have operations here. There are thousands of Irish people living there.

Its a hop skip jump to get to an alternative low cost airport.

In parts of northern Italy the easiest airport for you to travel from is in another country. Innsbruck airport is less than 30 minutes from the Italian border and has direct flights to Ireland.
    Nice airport is similar distance - maybe even shorter.
    Ljubijana airport is just over an hour to the Italian border.
    I'm an hour from Dublin airport!

Correct. It's handier to travel from Nice for millions of people living in North/West Italy. Regions on the Italian Alps are closer to Austria than to any Italian airports

Economy will sink if everyone is sent home from various companies. It'll be like Ophelia or Emma but not a one or two day wonder, no one knows when it'll be back to normal. This will impact hard over the next week's financially. There must be a risk of certain foodstuffs going short supply soon, or more likely in the long term if this continues and worsens.

I do have a large supply of dried foods such as lentils, rice etc. I also have 2 fridge freezers which are full, I'd say we could go 2 weeks without having to go into a shop. That said, I will be stocking up on things like cereal and baked beans this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭sjb25

I have been looking but can’t find one

1850 24 1850

• Registered Users Posts: 16,117 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Hope all is okay,

Call 8am - 8pm Monday to Friday and 10am - 5pm on Saturday and Sunday

HSE Helpline:
    1850 24 1850 (callsave) or 041 6850300
    Thank you very much . I couldn’t find the number . Yes thank all well here but I do have a family member who is immuno compromised but will write the number down

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers jump to the hundreds in a few days. The country is riddled with this virus, there's no hiding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,346 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Sigma101 wrote: »
    On a more optimistic note:

In S. Korea the rate of increase in new cases has been dropping for several days. The fatality rate in S Korea, at 0.7%, is far lower than in China or than the WHO estimates. Nobody under 39 years has died and fatalities are much lower for all other age categories. A full breakdown of the S Korean figures is available here:
    https://www.cdc.go.kr/board/board.es?mid=a30402000000&bid=0030&act=view&list_no=366470

No new cases in Hubei province in China today. The Chinese Ambassador was on the radio yesterday saying that China expects to return to normal within 4 weeks (and that's with less than 0.01% of the population having been infected).

We are leagues apart from the sense Korea and China had. We are still pretending its all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Rte banner has been saying "guidelines for mass gatherings to be published" for hours. Any idea what the guidelines will be? Carry on as normal most likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

titan18 wrote: »
    Surely the key is that the people who have health issues or bad immune systems should just lock themselves in doors for the virus length and the rest of us can live our lives like normal, if all it's going to be is a cold.

That seems to be the attitude many Italians have had - and they've just spread it around so far. Far better to limit the impact by people being responsible and staying home till cleared, even if they only have mild symptoms.

Going by anecdotal evidence, some people are doing that. But it's the feckless who will screw us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

silver2020 wrote: »
    People travel from Italy every day of the year.
    It is cheap and easy to get a train to numerous airports, so stopping flights just causes more chaos as you are pushing people into other airports and flights from non affect areas and that gives you zero control.

Several Irish companies have operation in Italy, several Italian companies have operations here. There are thousands of Irish people living there.

Its a hop skip jump to get to an alternative low cost airport.

In parts of northern Italy the easiest airport for you to travel from is in another country. Innsbruck airport is less than 30 minutes from the Italian border and has direct flights to Ireland.

Nice airport is similar distance - maybe even shorter.

Ljubijana airport is just over an hour to the Italian border.

I'm an hour from Dublin airport!

These are charter only, if that makes any odds im not sure

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement