Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Sigma101 wrote: »

No new cases in Hubei province in China today. The Chinese Ambassador was on the radio yesterday saying that China expects to return to normal within 4 weeks (and that's with less than 0.01% of the population having been infected).

Don't believe a thing that comes out of China.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭PaybackPayroll

On a more optimistic note:
    No new cases in Hubei province in China today. The Chinese Ambassador was on the radio yesterday saying that China expects to return to normal within 4 weeks (and that's with less than 0.01% of the population having been infected).

Look what they did to achieve this. Total lockdown in Wuhan for weeks.

For example, there are some youtube videos of inside wuhan where you are not allowed to press lift buttons. Instead you have to get a cocktail stick stuck into foam at the side of the lift and use that. No one allowed out without a mask and drones enforcing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭secman

We've opened up a book on it, nearest to the verified number of cases at 10 oclock Monday morning wins the kitty.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

Is it possible that this is due to reduced business because of eejits avoiding Chinese food on account of coronavirus?

No. I can confirm it is not. It is as a result of an - as yet - unconfirmed case of Coronavirus. The business has been asked to shut for 3 days. It is one of several.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Skybirdjb wrote: »
    I’m thinking defo avoid ! I wonder will they be allowed to go to work after being in Thailand?? Surly that is a high risk country

Thailand is not considered a high risk country.
    They still haven't surpassed 50 infected cases despite flights arriving from China daily. Germany with 577 and France with 423 cases would be considered more high risk.

The virus doesn't seem to be thriving in the hot tropical Asian countries.
    Vietnam has 16 cases, Cambodia 1, Philippines 5, & Indonesia 4.

Compare that to the countries in Asia that are cold at the moment.
    South Korea 6593 & Japan 381.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,170 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

UsBus wrote: »
    Pharmaceutical

I only finished a book in which the baddie got a job in a pharmaceutical company and he used his position to spread a genetically modified version of smallpox.

Is that what the Galwegians are up to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭sjb25

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Rte banner has been saying "guidelines for mass gatherings to be published" for hours. Any idea what the guidelines will be? Carry on as normal most likely.

Wash your hands #begrand

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

secman wrote: »
    We've opened up a book on it, nearest to the verified number of cases at 10 oclock Monday morning wins the kitty.

Is that an invitation to the kitty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Is it possible that this is due to reduced business because of eejits avoiding Chinese food on account of coronavirus?

Just taking to another Chinese guy who is part of a Chinese business group in Dublin. He said that they are closing most of the restaurants because they have very bad business at the moment and they are afraid of the Italian tourist that are arriving. He says no one has tested positive and the WE CHAT stuff is just speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

blanch152 wrote: »
    It is too easy to blame the HSE, the hospitals and the government.

People have been told to take their own responsibility. If you have symptoms, call the helpline, get the doctors to come to you. If, as now seems to have happened, you turn up at A&E or the hospital with symptoms and put everyone around you into self-isolation, that isn't on the HSE, or Simon Harris, that is on the Irish culture of doing what you think is best rather than listening to the expert advice.

Actually it's having mild symptoms then calling the hse or your doc. They tell you to self isolate but don't bother testing you and in turn you have to try and explain to your boss you can't come in because you might have it but can't confirm it.
    Then of course you don't get paid and have to wait at least a week until you can claim illness benefit. Then it's trying to explain to a landlord you won't have the rent this month on time because I'm showing mild symptoms and can't go to work to get paid but that's another can of worms for which the government is at fault for.
    I blame the government and the hse they are feckin useless. Front line staff can't fault them they work endlessly all year around its the people at the top who are overpaid for decisions they can't make because they are afraid it would be an unpopular decision. But hey once their pockets are full screw the ordinary Joe soap.

By the way I don't have any symptoms. Above is just a scenario. But it will become a very real one to a lot of people. My self included.

Have you seen the conference last night? Every question asked was either deflected or given some bull**** polical answer. They can't even account for how 1 person got the virus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 industry accountant

pjohnson wrote: »
    Its too late now. That was what should have been done at the start.

That's why I said we NEEDED to protect ourselves...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Lord TSC wrote: »
    My take is that there's, I think, three weeks till Easter.

And there's a long weekend in there too, due to Patricks Day.

So I have a feeling they'll get to mid next week and shut the schools down. And say "It's two weeks till Easter, and ye were getting some of that off anyway, so now we're having a month long Easter holiday."
    I think thats exactly what will happen aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭PaybackPayroll

I don't get why you wouldn't believe it?

The measures were obviously effective. How can people spread it if they are all in their apartments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Look what they did to achieve this. Total lockdown in Wuhan for weeks..

Compare & contrast.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

On a more optimistic note:

In S. Korea the rate of increase in new cases has been dropping for several days. The fatality rate in S Korea, at 0.7%, is far lower than in China or than the WHO estimates. Nobody under 39 years has died and fatalities are much lower for all other age categories. A full breakdown of the S Korean figures is available here:
    https://www.cdc.go.kr/board/board.es?mid=a30402000000&bid=0030&act=view&list_no=366470

South Korea has literally set up free drive thru testing sites. You drive in your car and don't get out. A suited and booted medical professional takes a swab. You go home to isolate and in 3 days you get your result. Here we're still in containment phase, whatever that means now.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,356 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

leahyl wrote: »
    Long before this corona virus, my mother has thought this was the most unhygienic thing ever - she saw a child in Dunnes one day with their paws all over the cakes and pastries - she said it to a manager that they really should be covered in cling film or something - sure nothing was done. They continue to be displayed out in the open with no cover - although a few of them are up higher now so kids can't get their hands on them, but everybody is breathing on them anyway. Can't understand myself why this is allowed by the FSA.

Self service salad bars and now deli counters, etc are becoming more and more popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Rte banner has been saying "guidelines for mass gatherings to be published" for hours. Any idea what the guidelines will be? Carry on as normal most likely.

The head of failte Ireland is currently reefing the chief medical officer back into the conference room by his tie while Simon Harris weeps in the corner.

secman wrote: »

You’ll have to close the book before 7:30 Sunday night when the numbers will be released.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

Probably to keep a flask of tea and emergency hang sangitches in the car boot;)

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

2nd death in the UK just announced now

• Advertisement

According to the WHO their figures are accurate, they have been on the ground monitoring what is going on and have seen the decrease.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Italy banned flights from China on 31 January. They still had a major outbreak occurring 21 days later. Why would banning flights from Italy here be any different?

Yep.
    Banning flights from China only increased the number of Chinese people getting to Italy through other European airports
    The virus is here now and can't be stopped, the best approach is to self quarantine and avoid contacts unless strictly required. Every outbreak has a peak, let's try not to get infected during the outbreak. It will get better after a few months

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭poppers

Just a bit of perspective in 2017-2018 4713 people need hospitalisation & 255 people in ireland Died because of the FLU.
    Dont remember seeing any of the hysteria other than a few TDS giving out about hospital overcrowding.

May as well accept it there is going to be 100's if not 1000's of cases and unfortunatley some deaths.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

No. I can confirm it is not. It is as a result of an - as yet - unconfirmed case of Coronavirus. The business has been asked to shut for 3 days. It is one of several.

How can you confirm it?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

NURSING Homes Ireland (NHI) has confirmed that visiting restrictions are now in place in nursing homes nationwide.

"All visitors are asked to contact prior to attending. Visitors should only seek to attend in urgent circumstances and the management reserve the right to impose full restrictions where necessary," said an NHI spokesperson in a statement.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/523242/coronavirus-visiting-restrictions-at-22-limerick-nursing-homes.html

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Hurrache wrote: »
    I only finished a book in which the baddie got a job in a pharmaceutical company and he used his position to spread a genetically modified version of smallpox.

Is that what the Galwegians are up to?
    It's to get rid of all the Mayo folk in our midst

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    2nd death in the UK just announced now
    Somebody in their 80's. Sad for their families, but when a bug comes along that's mostly killing people between 20 and 40(like the Spanish flu) then I'll start being more concerned.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

100% true and factual information right here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Steve F wrote: »
    Yesterdays Totals
    95,453 cases
    3,286 Deaths
    53,305 Recovered
    I wonder how influenza compares over the same timespan?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement